2015-2016 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally rejected pre-II. Sent them an update letter a few weeks ago. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will most likely withdraw my application so at least 1 interview spot will open up

Reactions: 1 user
What do they serve for breakfast at the interview? Should I eat before? Don't want to only be eating pastries!

What do they serve for breakfast at the interview? Should I eat before? Don't want to only be eating pastries!

They serve bagels, muffins, fruit, and coffee/OJ/water. Standard pre-interview spread! Best of luck on your interview day!

The yogurt parfaits are on point :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get confirmation that their thank you notes were received after e-mailing them to the admissions e-mail?

Did anyone get confirmation that their thank you notes were received after e-mailing them to the admissions e-mail?

I did not submit any thank you notes and was accepted.

Just thought I'd throw that in there in case you're concerned if it actually even matters.

I did not submit any thank you notes and was accepted.

Just thought I'd throw that in there in case you're concerned if it actually even matters.

That I was, comrade. Appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted thank you's to the general admissions email address (attn my interviewers) and never heard anything

Has anyone been waitlisted out rejected post interview. It appears most people are getting continued interest.

Sorry if this has been asked already but does Sinai give out scholarships with admissions, or do these come out later?

Sorry if this has been asked already but does Sinai give out scholarships with admissions, or do these come out later?

I think they invite you to the Explore Sinai event if they are considering you for a scholarship, which comes soon after admission. Not sure if they offer scholarships without this event invitation.

Has anyone been waitlisted out rejected post interview. It appears most people are getting continued interest.
I don't think they wait list people until the very end. Might be the same for post-interview rejections, but I'm not too sure.

Anyone know if they're still sending out interview invites??

I really like this school during interview day. It is really up there in my choices. It also has a very good research program that I am into.

Probably gonna withdraw from here since I got into one of my top choices. Tbh, on interview day, I frankly didn't know why Sinai invited me since I wasn't a good fit for their school and vice versa. Good luck to anyone else still waiting to hear back.

So I just got an interview invite (complete in August)!! The last dates are in second week of Feb and maybe interviewing for a waitlist spot, but I'd be certainly thrilled to get such a spot :)

Last edited:
any clue when they might be sending out another batch of decisions beyond the "continuation" email?

I called last week and they said there'll be a batch decision in late feb where we'll get a communication regardless of status, whether it's accept, WL, or reject

When I interviewed they told us around mid February

Do you actually think it's it interviewing for the wait list at this point?

When I interviewed recently they said that we were not. Perhaps they could've been trying to make us feel better but if that were the case I don't see why they'd bring it up at all.

Edit: grammar

Yea good point - I was assuming based on common rolling admissions procedures but can't say for sure. More "expect the worst, hope for the best" mindset I guess.

@Yolanda that's great news to hear. thanks guys!! Excited to interview here soon.

Got a big surprise with a II today. Complete late August, LizzyM around 70. Pretty pumped

Reactions: 6 users
congrats! do you have a couple of dates to choose from? trynna guage if invites are basically done
yeah, like 5 dates, but all within the next 2 weeks. Looks like they only send out invites for a few weeks in advance

Interview reviews:

Best location of all the medical schools in Manhattan. Great research and education. Decent interviews. Liberal-artsy to an annoying extent.

Grade: B+/A-

Interview reviews:

Best location of all the medical schools in Manhattan. Great research and education. Decent interviews. Liberal-artsy to an annoying extent.

Grade: B+/A-

Haha. I found the interdisciplinary and humanistic focus to be AWESOME!

xD

But why would one on Mt Sinai's thread?

I never understood why location matters much when it comes to the Manhattan schools. Out of state people get a pass, but people familiar with the area should know that these schools are all literally blocks away from each other.

Manhattan is Manhattan.

I never understood why location matters much when it comes to the Manhattan schools. Out of state people get a pass, but people familiar with the area should know that these schools are all literally blocks away from each other.

Manhattan is Manhattan.

Columbia is like so north that for all intents and purposes it is in the North Pole ;)

I like Columbia and Icahn's location but you can't beat a Central Park location in NYC

As an OOS, it's not because I don't know where nyu is in relation (I don't), I just can't imagine nitpicking over the finer points of bustle and culture in MANHATTAN of all places. I mean at Columbia people were acting like they're out in the boonies. Granted, it was my first time in NYC, but that perspective was difficult to wrap my brain around.

Did anyone else get the Primary Care Scholars Program email? I know I won't be applying, but it looks interesting. I wonder how many people will take them up on their offer.

Did anyone else get the Primary Care Scholars Program email? I know I won't be applying, but it looks interesting. I wonder how many people will take them up on their offer.

Yep! I did.

Apologies if this has already been asked but -

For those of you who interviewed, did you all manage to secure a student host (if you requested one)? If yes, when did you hear back? I have an interview coming up and I'm wondering if I should contact the student host email or something.

Thanks guys!

As an OOS, it's not because I don't know where nyu is in relation (I don't), I just can't imagine nitpicking over the finer points of bustle and culture in MANHATTAN of all places. I mean at Columbia people were acting like they're out in the boonies. Granted, it was my first time in NYC, but that perspective was difficult to wrap my brain around.

LOL, do the Columbia kids realize that they can just take the A/C to Greenwich Village? City n00bs

Apologies if this has already been asked but -

For those of you who interviewed, did you all manage to secure a student host (if you requested one)? If yes, when did you hear back? I have an interview coming up and I'm wondering if I should contact the student host email or something.

Thanks guys!

I got one only a few days before my interview. Had already found a couch to stay on because I wasn't sure I woudl get a host.

When is the next decision day, I forget?

Probably late in February based on last year's results.

Can anyone confirm with certainty what the last interview dates are at Sinai (maybe they mentioned it at one of your interview days)? I know some people just got IIs for the first two weeks of february, is that the last batch? Don't want to give up hope but some closure would be nice..