2015-2016 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Debating whether to just call and ask when we can expect to hear . . . hahaha. Hate bugging schools like that though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah this is just agonizing mid-feb is long gone.....

Members don't see this ad :)
So seems like the rest of Sinai decisions will be around the same time as the early March pool from the non-rolling schools.
I'm not expecting much since I got 'continued' after interviewing in early December but who knows.

So seems like the rest of Sinai decisions will be around the same time as the early March pool from the non-rolling schools.
I'm not expecting much since I got 'continued' after interviewing in early December but who knows.
mind you, it sounded like the majority did so dont lose hope. Im trying not to lol

Does anyone know when decisions about scholarships are released? Also, are scholarships offered regardless of whether you file for financial aid?

Reactions: 1 user
Any day now, I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

ill do it. i ain't no b***h

Reactions: 6 users
Was just told "No set time" :eyebrow:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was just told "No set time" :eyebrow:

Hmm I'm not particularly enthused. We met our deadlines; schools should also do the same...

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm I'm not particularly enthused. We met our deadlines; schools should also do the same...

Sinai has been really bad this year. I interviewed on the first day they offered interviews and was told that we'd hear back at the beginning of November they were over a month and a half late.

Honestly, the whole thing makes me take Sinai less seriously. How can I expect this school to treat their current students well, if they can't even bother to meet their own deadlines for applicants they are trying to recruit?! It's slowly moving down my list...

Could this possibly have to do with taking more FlexMed students? If they have less spots to give to traditional applicants, then they need to pull fewer people off of the waitlist. Or maybe since the FlexMed students can have a variety of majors they're trying to balance the class more?

Honestly, the whole thing makes me take Sinai less seriously. How can I expect this school to treat their current students well, if they can't even bother to meet their own deadlines for applicants they are trying to recruit?! It's slowly moving down my list...

I totally get that frustration and I'd be right there with you if I hadn't heard back. However, I get the sense this year is atypical for a lot of places, and I also heard at the interview that one of their important staff members was on maternity leave until late November. Somewhat speculative, but I wouldn't discount that delaying them. Don't lose hope!

I totally get that frustration and I'd be right there with you if I hadn't heard back. However, I get the sense this year is atypical for a lot of places, and I also heard at the interview that one of their important staff members was on maternity leave until late November. Somewhat speculative, but I wouldn't discount that delaying them. Don't lose hope!
Just curious but what do you mean "atypical for a lot places"? In what sense?

I wouldn't judge a school based on it meeting admissions deadlines. You never know what's going on. Withdrawing, good luck all!

Just curious but what do you mean "atypical for a lot places"? In what sense?

It feels like applications are up all over the place which, along with the new MCAT and dealing with how to interpret it, is slowing many places down. It's just a feeling I've had reading a lot of these threads, nothing data driven. I also agree with the poster above that judging an institution by how fast it reviews applications is misguided. In this case it could even be a positive if they're giving a very thorough reading to every app.

It feels like applications are up all over the place which, along with the new MCAT and dealing with how to interpret it, is slowing many places down. It's just a feeling I've had reading a lot of these threads, nothing data driven. I also agree with the poster above that judging an institution by how fast it reviews applications is misguided. In this case it could even be a positive if they're giving a very thorough reading to every app.

Mmm yeah I get that general feeling too. Lots of applicants this year (I hear) and first comparison of new MCAT and old MCAT must give adcomms something to struggle with a bit. Thanks for the input!

Nearly every other school has been able to meet their deadlines give or take a couple days, and some (cough Cornell) managed to complete everything earlier than promised. A school like Sinai is competing for applicants that will have many other enticing offers, and they are only hurting their school image by being unreliable and lacking transparency in their admission process.

Nearly every other school has been able to meet their deadlines give or take a couple days, and some (cough Cornell) managed to complete everything earlier than promised. A school like Sinai is competing for applicants that will have many other enticing offers, and they are only hurting their school image by being unreliable and lacking transparency in their admission process.

If admissions were all that mattered, everyone would choose to attend Michigan and never consider an east coast school as I found most of those programs to kind of rest on their laurels in terms of recruiting. Yet somehow they all continue to be great programs with great students.

Plenty of schools avoid this problem by not giving a date. I bet they call you next week and you completely forget you were annoyed. Missing the vague range of mid February by a week or two in a 6 month long process isn't that bad.

I really wanted to apply for the primary care scholarship if accepted but the deadline is on March 1st and its seeming like decisions won't even be out by then... So I guess that option won't even be available for the last round of accepted students?

Is it only me who honestly thinks its not a lack of transparency, it's truly as simple as they just aren't sure when they will have it completely done? I would rather them spend more time looking over the applications than roughly going through them. I'd like my application to be given the consideration and time it deserves as I put in a great deal of effort. I completely understand being frustrated. This process is hell and it is dragged out for so long. That being said, I wouldn't judge a school on their timeliness particularly because it was never a guarantee, always a guestimate. Also, while a few weeks seems like quite a long time for those of us waiting, in reality, it is not that big of a deal.

I really wanted to apply for the primary care scholarship if accepted but the deadline is on March 1st and its seeming like decisions won't even be out by then... So I guess that option won't even be available for the last round of accepted students?

Did you call and ask about this? I highly doubt they would prevent all of the later acceptances from applying to the PSP. They seem to really be pushing the program.

Everyone has to choose a school somehow, can't blame you for not liking the vibe. My thoughts, though, are that this is the last time you'll have anything to do with the admissions office of any school you pick, so it really shouldn't play that big a factor. In addition, the students at Sinai all seem to think it's a place that really pays attention to its students and values their happiness.

Waiting for this stuff is really the worst and can make minutes feel like days, but as posters above have said, two or three weeks in the context of this whole process isn't a huge chunk of time. I hope you hear soon!

just got an email. placed on the "alternate list." I already received the continuation email months ago.

Just got the alternate email as well. Interviewed early December, continuation email ~1 month ago.

Anyone have an idea of how long their alternate list is/how often they pull from it?

Alternate list. Interviewed late Oct and was placed on hold

Definitely also curious how large the alternate list is and how commonly people are actually pulled off it

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate listed as well. Wait do they have multiple lists? So if after the round of decisions for all different schools, I still want to attend Sinai I should send in an LOI?

Is today the 1st time Sinai releases alternate list in this cycle? It seems that the alternate list is not a short one...

If admissions were all that mattered, everyone would choose to attend Michigan and never consider an east coast school as I found most of those programs to kind of rest on their laurels in terms of recruiting. Yet somehow they all continue to be great programs with great students.

Plenty of schools avoid this problem by not giving a date. I bet they call you next week and you completely forget you were annoyed. Missing the vague range of mid February by a week or two in a 6 month long process isn't that bad.

Can second this.

Last years thread shows that not everyone was placed on the alternate list. From that thread, it seems that later alternate list email decisions specifically said that they do not anticipate movement for that year.

In past years have the decisions gone out on the same day? aka rejections, acceptance, alternate for this release time?

What's the difference, if any, between the waitlist and the alternate list?

Definitely also curious how large the alternate list is and how commonly people are actually pulled off it

I know that there was still a good chance after being placed on the continuation email, but I would also like to know whether a good percentage are taken off the alternative/wait list....or if I should just prep myself to say goodbye to this awesomely awesome school.

EDIT: that was a confusing sentence. 2nd try: do a lot of people get off the alternative list too? or was our best chance after the continuation email?

Alternate list as well after being deferred in December. Interviewed in November. LizzyM 75.

Pretty bummed. Loved this school, sent a letter of continued interest after December deferral.

Alternate list as well after being deferred in December. Interviewed in November. LizzyM 75.

Pretty bummed. Loved this school, sent a letter of continued interest after December deferral.

+1 placed on the alternate list. Seems like a pretty long list .... was anyone accepted today? a bit odd that they are sending out waitlists before acceptances

so i guess acceptances aren't coming out today......how weird