2015-2016 Indiana University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PU2IUSM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, IUSM does not release a secondary, but I'll keep this space reserved just in case. I'll update with anything relevant for the 2016 application cycle!

We are the IUSM Class of 2020! (Hopefully)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Not applying here, but damn man you really ruined my streak over there...

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 16.04.10 .png

Reactions: 1 user
Ooh... you were still going. I was like, "Why isn't there an IUSM one? I'll just go for it."

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooh... you were still going. I was like, "Why isn't there an IUSM one? I'll just go for it."
I only made threads for the schools I'm applying to because I'm selfish like that.
(except Stony Brook)

Would anyone be interested in seeing the questions for the rural medicine program app? I can also just send it to you guys and one of you can post it here if you want to. Not technically a secondary, but if your application gets flagged for rural you have the chance to apply to it. @PU2IUSM @LJN Ltd.

Fellow midwesterner adding this one to this list!!

Is IU notorious for in state preference?
Yep. Very in state heavy. I believe last year 70ish% of their class was IS. I also think something like 75% IS get interviews.

Anyone else considering EDP?

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. Very in state heavy. I believe last year 70ish% of their class was IS. I also think something like 75% IS get interviews.

591/726 of verified IS applicants were interviewed, pretty crazy.. However 511 interviews given to ~4700 OOS applicants. Do all the OOS applicants that get interviews have stats well above their median? Was hoping to apply here as OOS but very doubtful now.

OOS students tend to be higher stats. With no secondary it is hard to show significant ties to state. Don't let the low range fool you. The school also has two auto admit programs and they help bring the MCAT lower.

OOS students tend to be higher stats. With no secondary it is hard to show significant ties to state. Don't let the low range fool you. The school also has two auto admit programs and they help bring the MCAT lower.
Auto admit?

Auto admit?

I think Raiderette is talking about the programs at ISU, IU Northwest and USI that give scholarships and auto admit is student gets 3.5 and certain MCAT score. It used to be 28 but I think it is a little higher. I have a friend that got the scholarship for urban health. He didn't do much shadowing, etc because he didn't need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Raiderette is talking about the programs at ISU, IU Northwest and USI that give scholarships and auto admit is student gets 3.5 and certain MCAT score. It used to be 28 but I think it is a little higher. I have a friend that got the scholarship for urban health. He didn't do much shadowing, etc because he didn't need to.
How in the world do they get auto admit with a 3.5 and a 28!? IU and Purdue dont get the same benefits and they are much more competitive schools.

It is a scholarship program at the lower tier schools. Gary's is to get urban doctors who want to work in Gary upon graduation and ISU is to promote rural doctors. The programs have been around for a while, so it isn't like we couldn't have applied and spent 4 years in Gary or Terre Haute just to get this advantage.

I will be applying to IUSM this cycle, not sure about the rural program. What are the benefits?

Applying in state. Would love to go here but don't really know which campuses I would want to go to.

Definitely applying to IUSM, but not with EDP. Does anyone remember how the campus selection process goes if you don't do EDP?

Someone I was talking to the other day said that you could either pretty much choose a satellite campus, or enter the lottery for Indy and go where they tell you if you don't win.

Someone I was talking to the other day said that you could either pretty much choose a satellite campus, or enter the lottery for Indy and go where they tell you if you don't win.

A wager to be sure, this sound similar to what I've heard from other people.

One thing they did this year (from lurking on the 2015/15 thread) was to assign people accepted off the wait list to the satellite campuses, so more regular admits got Indy in the lottery. I recall many people being upset that they were accepted in October and ended up in Terre Haute when a guy off the waitlist in June gets Indy.

Any ideas about what the EDP requirements are for the 2015 MCAT?

The minimum was only 30 last year for EDP, but nothing lower than 10 in each section.

I went to undergrad at an Indiana school (not IU) but will that be evident as ties in-state? (MI resident)
Is there anyway to show them ties in-state due to absence of a secondary app?
Any advice on how to increase my chances? Love the state and the city of Indianapolis.

I went to undergrad at an Indiana school (not IU) but will that be evident as ties in-state? (MI resident)
Is there anyway to show them ties in-state due to absence of a secondary app?
Any advice on how to increase my chances? Love the state and the city of Indianapolis.
They will see your UG school, which will help. I know someone who called the admission office to explain that he was born and raised in Indiana until 10th grade. He got an interview later. (Not that I encourage people to flood the office with calls).

Is anyone discouraged by the talk on SDN about how students here are miserable...? I've heard stories of students actively dissuading applicants from applying during their campus visit.

I think it largely depends on the campus you end up at. Indianapolis would be great. But I can't say I'd be happy in, Terre Haute for example.

Do OOS applicants from neighboring states with low MCATs (29) get interviews here? Or are those spots typically reserved for 31+ people? Maybe someone who is at the med school would know?

Last edited:
Since IU doesn't offer a secondary, should I just send in my LoR's regardless or will they send another email requesting LoR's like Mayo does?

Got my IUSM application receipt notification. Hopefully an interview invite will follow in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
i also got the email @PU2IUSM and IU was the only school on my AMCAS when I was verified 6/8.

I was not verified until late last week and received the email today too. I don't think it is anything to worry about since they just started sending them today. Probably just random batches...

I submitted 6/5 was verified 6/12 I think (?) I'm also IS so might depend on a lot of variables

I'm IS and submitted on 6/4,verified shortly after. IU is my only school also... I might send amcas an email tomorrow if it doesn't come.

Just got the email. OOS submitted early June. I wouldn't worry if you haven't gotten it yet. Seems like a pretty random process of sending this email out in batches.

IS and received the "application received" email today 7/20, AMCAS processed 7/10, MCAT 6/20

Last edited:
OOS; verified 7/22 and received "application received" email on 7/23

IS; verified 7/21, received "application received" email on 7/23. I'm doing the EDP. Has anyone else doing EDP heard anything back from them other than their app has been received?

looks like people started getting IIs around this week last year. here's hoping

Reactions: 1 users