2015-2016 Letters of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tqtraq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a letter from my PI from a research lab but he doesn't teach any classes. My school has an option where you can get graded for the lab and every quarter I receive a grade for it. Would this still be considered a science letter for DO schools? I would like to know for certain whether it is or not in case I have to ask for additional letters for the minimum requirements for most DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a letter from my PI from a research lab but he doesn't teach any classes. My school has an option where you can get graded for the lab and every quarter I receive a grade for it. Would this still be considered a science letter for DO schools? I would like to know for certain whether it is or not in case I have to ask for additional letters for the minimum requirements for most DO schools.
Unfortunately you have to call to be sure. And DO schools seem pretty strict on LOR's usually. I would tentatively say I think that might count for some of them, but others will probably give you trouble. I would call every school you want to apply to, to be sure.

I would imagine that a research class where you received course credit would count for a science letter of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the course is listed on your transcript, you can just ask your professor to indicate that being the course he taught you in the LOR. You should specifically ask him to do this, or the LOR might not be accepted by the admissions. Two schools I had to ask my professor to write to the admissions to confirm she actually taught me in a course.

If so, would it be possible to start getting LORs now? I am not currently taking classes or doing research with these references so it wouldn't benefit me to wait longer.

This is a good question...but is there a reason why AACOMAS might not use Interfolio?

AACOMAS should continue to accept LORs from Interfolio, especially when AACOMAS itself is powered by Interfolio.

According to the new changes for AACOMAS, they're now accepting LORs directly. I'm not sure what this means for dossier (interfolio's LOR acceptor) though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked to do a review of the new system since I used the old system this year, and they are accepting letters right into the site now. However, even with interfolio you could send letters to AMCAS, so I'm assuming it would be the same way with interfolio for AACOMAS

Yes, you can 100% still send your letters via interfolio or other third party groups. I freaking lost it again, but someone posted the direct email from AACOMAS on here somewhere. In it it obviously said that AACOMAS is introducing their own letter service (ie you can send letters by uploading them on AACOMAS directly); but, at least for this upcoming year you can still send your letters by any of the other previous methods.

Personally I really liked interfolio. It was incredibly easy to collect and disperse my letters. Heck I even had my school send the committee letter to my personal interfolio, that way I could be in charge of who gets what when. There is already so much that is out of your control with the whole application process, I wanted at least this one thing to be in my own hands.

Reactions: 1 users
When I asked some of the schools I applied to, they said it depended on how the letter was written. Most research letters are written as character letters but like some mentioned here, if your PI specifies that he taught the listed course, it should work as a science letter. Though I would still recommend a science letter from a professor that knows you as a student as opposed to a researcher. But if you can't get that, then hopefully yours will work!

I asked my neuroscience professor to write me a letter. There was no psychology in the content, purely neurophysiology. However, the professor is appointed at the school of occupational therapy because he is an occupational therapist who later completed his PhD and went into research. Will this be considered a science letter? I ask because he taught me a science class, but he is appointed to a non-science faculty. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!

Reactions: 1 user
I asked my neuroscience professor to write me a letter. There was no psychology in the content, purely neurophysiology. However, the professor is appointed at the school of occupational therapy because he is an occupational therapist who later completed his PhD and went into research. Will this be considered a science letter? I ask because he taught me a science class, but he is appointed to a non-science faculty. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!

What is his actual appointment? If you took a course with him that was in the sciences then it will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.