2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, where are the new year posts for MCG (never very active here, really) ?! :)

Well, to get it started...
MCG is a solid, middle of the pack medical school where the MCAT average (31) is dead on the middle for all of those who matriculate at the 130 standard American medical schools (not counting the osteopathic schools).

The class is immense at 230, mostly from Ga., but then most states our size would have 2 public medical schools. Alabama, e.g., with half of our 10 million population has 2 public medical schools. Florida with twice the population now has 5 public medical schools. OOS acceptees used to be just 5 or so MD/PhD types, but seems to have grown with the much larger class to 20 or so.

MCG's interview has been unthreatening/user friendly...maybe just 1 faculty member one on one for 30 minutes or so. They just want to assure that you have a decent demeanor/personality to go with your Lizzy M score.

You can be accepted as soon as October.

Truth be told, the tuition has doubled in just the past few years (a student who graduated last year said that it had doubled in just his 4 years there). This might make a private school with a nice scholarship pretty attractive otherwise (it did for our daughter back in 2012)

You Mutts might like staying on in Athens where a minority of the class is now (45 or so?).
Augusta is not exciting, but hey, you will be studying a good amount anyway. Match lists seem pretty decent.

Good luck, folks!
:luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the character limit is for each secondary response? "400 words" pops up once in last year's thread, and "500-character limit" appears several times in the 2013-2014 thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that MCG secondaries have not been sent out yet?

Someone please post prompts and word limit when they become available. Thanks!

Will they send a secondary if your MCAT scores aren't in yet?

Secondary received earlier today, prompts look to be the same

Care to post them with the word/character limit? Just for the sake of everyone's sanity

Please describe the exposure you have had to the medical profession (ex. summer program, clinical shadowing experience, ER scribe, previous degrees or certificate programs, etc.) 400 words

If you have shadowed a physician or have another type of clinical experience, please list the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e. nursing, PA, EMT, ER scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates, and the total number of hours below. Please provide more detail for each of these experiences in question # 8 above

The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. 400 words

Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The state or region of the country, the name of the county and town. 400 words

If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well. 400 words

There's also a lot of sections trying to get at your GA residency status that is tedious to fill out (like everywhere you've lived, worked, gone to school, addresses, parents jobs, dates and all that). Also while filling it out, there were some pop-up message loops that wouldn't go away and I had to force quit my browser and it deleted everything I entered.. But eventually I got it to work.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@canttellmenothin for the question on describing each shadowing experience, what's the word/character limit for each description?

@canttellmenothin for the question on describing each shadowing experience, what's the word/character limit for each description?

The area given for the description is just for the type of experience and name. So for my shadowing ones I put "Physician Shadowing - Dr. Blah Blah" and there's another blank for the hospital name. It wants you to describe the experiences in the previous question which is for all healthcare experiences and has a limit of 400 words.

Edit: Has anyone one else gotten a secondary yet? FYI there's a two week deadline to submit after you get the email (at least that's what it said). I've submitted already.

Thanks! My MCAT scores come back in August, so I'll receive my secondary then.

Has anyone not gotten a secondary from MCG yet? I called today and Admissions said "They are working on it." I am a little worried since it seems some people have already received theirs.

Has anyone not gotten a secondary from MCG yet? I called today and Admissions said "They are working on it." I am a little worried since it seems some people have already received theirs.
Have they sent you an email saying that they received your primary app?

Still haven't received a secondary, but I figure they're still sending them out since I've gotten secondaries from a bunch of other schools. I wouldn't worry too much about it since they don't screen for their secondary.

I haven't gotten a secondary either, but I'm assuming they'll send the rest of them out by the end of this week.

I haven't heard at all from MCG (not even an acknowledgement of receipt of the primary app) despite getting verified on 6/19. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I haven't heard at all from MCG (not even an acknowledgement of receipt of the primary app) despite getting verified on 6/19. Is anyone else in the same situation?

I think most of us are in the same boat.

@canttellmenothin: did you apply early decision? You seem to be the only person to get a secondary thus far. :p

Last edited:
I think most of our are in the same boat.

@canttellmenothin: did you apply early decision? You seem to be the only person to get a secondary thus far. :p

Nope, regular decision. And you made me a little paranoid haha so I just checked it to make sure. They don't screen so I'm sure you guys will be getting it soon.

I am EDP. I submitted AMCAS earlier and was verified within an hour. Didn't realize it would be that quick. My LORs have not made it to AMCAS yet.
Patiently waiting on that secondary. :)

I called admissions this morning and they said they were having issues with getting the secondaries uploaded. They said it should be sent out today or beginning of next week.

EDIT: They also said they don't send out emails for notification of primary app being received.

Reactions: 4 users
Still have not received the secondary, reassuring to know it's not just me. Verified 6/18

I applied for the EDP. Submitted AMCAS 07/16/2015, verified within 2 hours, and received my secondary 07/17/2015. Secondaries have 1-week deadline for EDP, 2 weeks for Regular Decision. Not trying to scare anyone, as I'm fairly certain MCG sends out secondaries to most applicants. I would assume technical errors on their part.

This is what MCG sent me when I emailed them:

"We are currently working on some system upgrades, and we have not sent out Secondary Applications at this time. We hope to begin sending them out by then end of this week, but definitely by the beginning of next week.

We look forward to receiving all of your information and wish you well in the process.

Thanks and have a great day."

MCG sends secondaries to all applicants (MSAR). So everyone who has applied to MCG will get a secondary.

When I called on Friday they said the same thing: they had made some changes and were experiencing a glitch in their system when uploading the secondaries. She said they would try to send them by Friday, if not they would be sent at the beginning of the week.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received!! Good luck everyone!

I still have not received mine, could anyone tell me if they have received theirs?

Still no secondary here, making it the only school from which I have not received a secondary despite being verified mid-June. I am actually glad because my backlog with other secondaries is ridiculous and MCG has a 2-week deadline. Please don't send me a secondary until I am done with the others lol.

Does anyone know if MCG shows any regional preference? (i.e. South Carolina). Thanks!

MSAR shows first year matriculants as:
220 IS, 9 OOS

I think it's only worth the money over another school if you're in GA; anywhere but GA will have a very low chance of getting in. SC is not going to have any easier time getting in than any other state that's not GA.

Received this from admissions this morning:

"We are currently working on some system upgrades, and we hope to have all secondary applications emailed out sometime this week.
Thanks and have a great day."

Hope that helps anyone else who is still waiting on a secondary

Reactions: 5 users
MCAT score comes back the 18th! Looks like I won't be so far behind with the issues they are having!

My question is how have some people received the secondary and some haven't... seems like an unfair advantage to me...

Surely they'll take this issue into account when evaluating applicants.

+1 The amount of information they require is insane.

In the required coursework section, it says to put A, B, C grades etc. but what should you put for AP credit? Exactly what appears on the transcript? in my case it says K

I asked the same question. Their response was:

"You can put the name of the college that the AP credit shows on and put AP for the grade."

In required course section, for advanced chemistry - does organic chemistry fit into that category? Because there's a separate area for organic chemistry courses.

EDIT: I believe Biochem goes there

Last edited:
What do I put for LOR if I didn't have a chairman or committee letter? I just have three individual letters. Or is that a requirement? and how do I fill out the form about GA residency if I know I can't claim it in any way?