2015-2016 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance from this wonderful college. I hope one of you awesome people get it. I never thought in a million years I would have to the option to CHOOSE which medical school I would attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know if harrison scholars have been picked/notified already?

Learned via phone call--apparently they have already chosen and notified the Harrison scholars, but if those students withdraw their acceptances, the scholarships will be offered to other people.

Has anyone been able to find orientation dates? I'm guessing August 1st?

Learned via phone call--apparently they have already chosen and notified the Harrison scholars, but if those students withdraw their acceptances, the scholarships will be offered to other people.

Has anyone been able to find orientation dates? I'm guessing August 1st?

When did you get the call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear about financial aid? Time is running out...

Unfortunately it's in the schools hands...they can force you to play the cards until after apr 30.

Any idea when the first movement from the waitlist is expected?

Reactions: 1 user
Finally a campus assignment! Augusta! I will likely be withdrawing within a week however.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean? Like they don't have to give us an aid package before April 30?

I don't think they are explicitly required to. Every school seems to have a different timeline in terms of award letters, somebody could correct me on that though.

I don't think they are explicitly required to. Every school seems to have a different timeline in terms of award letters, somebody could correct me on that though.

....the worst

thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious, and took a peak at our new class. Just a few heads up:
-For my class campus assignments didn't go out immediately, a lot of people heard in may or later. If you wanted Augusta, there's a good chance you'll get it. Remember there are only 40 spots in Athens.
-Financial Aid....its going to be a while, full award (subsidized and not) is like 60K+, its basically around 42 if you don't want to take the extra loan. Also you wont see that money until the second-third week of class so make smart financial decisions.
-Transcripts ran slow with us because there's a lot to do, and the whole merger with the undergraduate college and moving of offices made things confusing mail wise. As long as you've mailed it (I'd use something with proof of delivery) you won't need to worry.
-For those waitlisted. Keep your spirits high, I know someone who got the heads up a day before class started and someone else right before Morehouse started (and he had already accepted there!)
-For those of you who were accepted and intend to come, see you this August!

Edit: Btw your liaisons were recently selected and will probably be reaching out to you soon if they haven't already. They'll hook you up and answer your questions.

Last edited:
Just accepted!! I am absolutely thrilled to attend this wonderful school. Thank you to everyone on here that help out answering strangers' questions.

Reactions: 7 users
Just accepted!! I am absolutely thrilled to attend this wonderful school. Thank you to everyone on here that help out answering strangers' questions.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Would you mind telling your stats and how you were notified?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Would you mind telling your stats and how you were notified?
Thank you!! I appreciate how active you have been on this website! I was notified through email at around 12:30pm. 29 MCAT: 9P 10V 10B. 3.6gpa. Not a URM. I have a new MCAT score coming out May 3rd, but now I won't need it I guess lol. My stats (and maybe being a re-applicant) got me in the door for an interview, but I think it was the extracurriculars that got me accepted. The open file interviewer didn't bring up my stats.

Thank you!! I appreciate how active you have been on this website! I was notified through email at around 12:30pm. 29 MCAT: 9P 10V 10B. 3.6gpa. Not a URM. I have a new MCAT score coming out May 3rd, but now I won't need it I guess lol. My stats (and maybe being a re-applicant) got me in the door for an interview, but I think it was the extracurriculars that got me accepted. The open file interviewer didn't bring up my stats.

Thank you for answering! I'm so happy that you got in! Hopefully some other spots will be coming to some of the rest of us. Now relax and celebrate! You deserve it!

That's awesome! I've seen your other posts so I know you worked hard! Quick question - when you reapplied for this cycle, was the 29 MCAT a new score compared to your first application, or did you keep the score on both applications? I know you've got another score coming that you don't care about (which is awesome) but I'm just trying to figure something out if I decide to apply in the future. I was also a reapplicant with a 29 MCAT and was told my score wasn't high enough - per Dr. Khan on the phone this morning! (I wasn't invited for an interview) My gpa is also a 3.6 - so you must've made a great impression!

**EDIT: To clarify, when you were not accepted the first go around, was your MCAT score a 29 or did you take it a second time and score a 29 before reapplying?

I was also a reapplicant with a 29 MCAT and was told my score wasn't high enough - per Dr. Khan on the phone this morning!

Ha, I was told the same thing over the phone last week about my 29. @Ol' Blood and Guts must be livin' clean. Congratulations! I've got another score coming out soon too so hopefully I'll have more luck next cycle.

Ha, I was told the same thing over the phone last week about my 29. @Ol' Blood and Guts must be livin' clean. Congratulations! I've got another score coming out soon too so hopefully I'll have more luck next cycle.

That's awesome! I've seen your other posts so I know you worked hard! Quick question - when you reapplied for this cycle, was the 29 MCAT a new score compared to your first application, or did you keep the score on both applications? I know you've got another score coming that you don't care about (which is awesome) but I'm just trying to figure something out if I decide to apply in the future. I was also a reapplicant with a 29 MCAT and was told my score wasn't high enough - per Dr. Khan on the phone this morning! (I wasn't invited for an interview) My gpa is also a 3.6 - so you must've made a great impression!

I was told by one of my interviewers that my score is indicative of success in medical school (28 MCAT: 9P,9B,10V), and I am currently on the waitlist for the second time. Based on this, I would suggest maybe looking into other parts of your applications too (e.g. personal essay, extracurriculars, etc). I do have around a 3.9 GPA, so that is undoubtedly helping me, but I know those before me who have been accepted with 29s and probably lower GPAs. All this being said, I am currently studying again for the MCAT in the event I have to retake it as well as preparing to start a Master's program at Tulane so that I am not being idle for another year. Persistence pays off, so don't give up and keep pushing on! :thumbup:

**EDIT: To clarify, when you were not accepted the first go around, was your MCAT score a 29 or did you take it a second time and score a 29 before reapplying?
I was told by one of my interviewers that my score is indicative of success in medical school (28 MCAT: 9P,9B,10V), and I am currently on the waitlist for the second time. Based on this, I would suggest maybe looking into other parts of your applications too (e.g. personal essay, extracurriculars, etc). I do have around a 3.9 GPA, so that is undoubtedly helping me, but I know those before me who have been accepted with 29s and probably lower GPAs. All this being said, I am currently studying again for the MCAT in the event I have to retake it as well as preparing to start a Master's program at Tulane so that I am not being idle for another year. Persistence pays off, so don't give up and keep pushing on! :thumbup:

Yeah, I would look into other aspects of your application as well. I know someone who got in last year with a 27 and another person who got in with a 28. Both of them were accepted off of the waitlist, but they were still accepted. And neither was a reapplicant.

Yeah, I would look into other aspects of your application as well. I know someone who got in last year with a 27 and another person who got in with a 28. Both of them were accepted off of the waitlist, but they were still accepted. And neither was a reapplicant.

That's where I'm in a rut. We went over my application in detail and talked about each section: shadowing, volunteer work, mission trips, etc. (he even noted one item he really liked). He said it was great and indicative of someone who was serious about getting in to school - no problems there. He noted that my gpa was great, but that I would need a higher MCAT to be competitive.

This last bit is my reasoning for asking the above question. On my first application I had a low MCAT score and understandably didn't get an II. So, I'm wondering if taking the test a second time did much for me at all, even though I raised my score considerably. I didn't ask if they average multiple MCAT scores, but it seems to me that this may be the case and would totally make sense in my situation.

That's where I'm in a rut. We went over my application in detail and talked about each section: shadowing, volunteer work, mission trips, etc. (he even noted one item he really liked). He said it was great and indicative of someone who was serious about getting in to school - no problems there. He noted that my gpa was great, but that I would need a higher MCAT to be competitive.

This last bit is my reasoning for asking the above question. On my first application I had a low MCAT score and understandably didn't get an II. So, I'm wondering if taking the test a second time did much for me at all, even though I raised my score considerably. I didn't ask if they average multiple MCAT scores, but it seems to me that this may be the case and would totally make sense in my situation.

Hmm, if all other aspects of your application are in order, then I am not sure what to make of it. However, I will share with you that I had a pretty terrible first MCAT score (thanks to verbal), in fact, it was much lower than what I previously shared, so I do not think they average scores based on that.

Yes the 29 was my first MCAT score, which was due to be replaced by a new score on May 3rd. I had no other MCAT scores. I have heard that med schools average your percentiles between an old test you took and a new one, so you might want to again increase your score. Persistence WILL pay off and is an asset that first round applicants don't have. It says a lot that you would go through the gauntlet again with a good attitude. Everyone has a "secret weapon," and your gap year(s) are excellent times to attain your secret weapon(s)! I was denied last year without an interview from MCG. My MCAT score was the last big thing that I was waiting to improve for this round. I tried to improve every other aspect of my application. I was too flippant with the written portion of my application last year. Also, make sure to have a realistic idea of what you want to do after medical school. I contemplated this a lot during my gap year and read many practical books in preparation of carrying out such a plan if it presents itself. My interviewer mentioned how it shows naivete when people are overly ambitious without having an actual plan. It also seems like schools tend to set you up with two very different interviewers, and it is a test for you to relate to each of them. Don't see my scores and think that it gives reason for you to chill out!!!! I made that same mistake; but by the grace of God, MCG decided that I was a safe investment based on the rest of my application. Work like heck before your interview so that your interview is a relaxing and FUN experience. The interview is not a place to suddenly make up ground. Also, thank everyone you meet and be genuine! If you constantly improve yourself during and between every application season and still never get in, then guess what? You most likely improved yourself and equipped yourself enough to tackle something other than medical school brilliantly! Have faith!

Yes the 29 was my first MCAT score, which was due to be replaced by a new score on May 3rd. I had no other MCAT scores. I have heard that med schools average your percentiles between an old test you took and a new one, so you might want to again increase your score. Persistence WILL pay off and is an asset that first round applicants don't have. It says a lot that you would go through the gauntlet again with a good attitude. Everyone has a "secret weapon," and your gap year(s) are excellent times to attain your secret weapon(s)! I was denied last year without an interview from MCG. My MCAT score was the last big thing that I was waiting to improve for this round. I tried to improve every other aspect of my application. I was too flippant with the written portion of my application last year. Also, make sure to have a realistic idea of what you want to do after medical school. I contemplated this a lot during my gap year and read many practical books in preparation of carrying out such a plan if it presents itself. My interviewer mentioned how it shows naivete when people are overly ambitious without having an actual plan. It also seems like schools tend to set you up with two very different interviewers, and it is a test for you to relate to each of them. Don't see my scores and think that it gives reason for you to chill out!!!! I made that same mistake; but by the grace of God, MCG decided that I was a safe investment based on the rest of my application. Work like heck before your interview so that your interview is a relaxing and FUN experience. The interview is not a place to suddenly make up ground. Also, thank everyone you meet and be genuine! If you constantly improve yourself during and between every application season and still never get in, then guess what? You most likely improved yourself and equipped yourself enough to tackle something other than medical school brilliantly! Have faith!

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I've been through the gauntlet twice now, looking at a third and I've definitely learned a ton over the years. I improved my application significantly, or so I thought, but I guess I've got work to do. The feedback I got on the phone made me think I was pretty solid as long as I stay the course, but I guess I could try to work something else into my schedule. I think I'm going to see if I can follow up with the school for a better explanation of my scores and discuss averaging, as to me this seems like a legitimate question.

That's really frustrating. I'm sorry the process is so inconsistent. It really does seem to be a crapshoot at times. Hopefully when you talk to them again, they can give you more answers.

And you know a 26 who was a reapplicant and accepted off the wait list. ;)

And you know a 26 who was a reapplicant and accepted off the wait list. ;)

Now I'm very confused about my situation, but happy for those of you who are moving on! I'm not sure why I was told my score was too low. If I'm able to get more information from the school I'll share it - could be other people in the same boat.

Now I'm very confused about my situation, but happy for those of you who are moving on! I'm not sure why I was told my score was too low. If I'm able to get more information from the school I'll share it - could be other people in the same boat.
I think you should just consider it as too low to be competitive (i.e., everything else needs to be really good to make up for it). According to MSAR, 23 or so people were accepted in 2015 with a 27 or lower MCAT, so I doubt 29 is a cutoff. MCG's median score was a 32 for that year, (which is pretty high for the applicant pool they should be expecting based on their tier), so maybe they place a lot more emphasis on MCAT than other areas. I think you are right to just stay the course, and just try and make your self extra competitive in areas where you best can. Also, with a 29, you did better than 73% of other people who paid $300 because they thought they had a realistic shot at going to medical school. So, if the rest of your application is really good, I would focus on different schools, because rejecting you solely based on a 29 calls into question the judgement of the adcom.

Just withdrew my acceptance. That was nothing short of excruciating... I just need to experience life outside of Georgia for a while. I sincerely hope someone from the waitlist gets my spot. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users

If you have interacted with me in the past, you do.

They don't give a lot of information and half the the information they do give isn't right. I don't think they open up your file if you call them.

Also, with a 29, you did better than 73% of other people who paid $300 because they thought they had a realistic shot at going to medical school. So, if the rest of your application is really good, I would focus on different schools, because rejecting you solely based on a 29 calls into question the judgement of the adcom.

They don't give a lot of information and half the the information they do give isn't right. I don't think they open up your file if you call them.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I think this is getting to the heart of the issue. Obviously everyone who applies to the school can be (and likely is) measured by more than a number on a piece of paper, but I'm not sure as much weight is placed on the actual score as many of us may be led to believe - or, it varies case by case depending on the applicant. If this is true, it seems to me that such a practice undermines the whole point of a standardized test designed to predict success in medical school and aptitude for a career in medicine.

But hey, could just be sour grapes ;)

Capture.PNG

Reactions: 3 users
Technically, it's already started. But I'd imagine more movement will happen next week considering Apr 30 is this weekend.

For those of you that have been accepted, did you get a letter in the mail with your official acceptance shortly after you were informed by email?

For those of you who are waitlisted, has anyone come up with some creative way to show interest that MCG will accept? I tried calling but they wouldn't talk to me about me wanting to show my interest!

For those of you who are waitlisted, has anyone come up with some creative way to show interest that MCG will accept? I tried calling but they wouldn't talk to me about me wanting to show my interest!

There's nothing to do but wait. MCG is disinclined to accept any form of "continued interest", evident by the fact they don't accept any updates after December outside of grades. Just have to sit tight and continue the wait.

The uncertainty of the ranking sucks...I just wonder what factors besides academics influence it, like early interview dates and what not.