2015-2016 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a SC resident and I'm excited to apply to MUSC. I definitely love Charleston and would love to attend school there.

Applying here! IS! Charleston is amazing!

From last year's thread, it looks like people started to get secondaries (or, at least, access to the demographics PDF) in early July. Any of this year's applicants hear anything from MUSC yet?

I have not and am applying in state.

They don't have a space for new MCAT scores...? Wondering how to fill this out

Just got the secondary today. I'm OOS

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they waive fees for those who received the FAP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they waive fees for those who received the FAP?
I wondered the same thing. I need to try and give them a call after I get off of work today because I need to ask about the fee waiver and how to enter in the new MCAT score. I know they will get a copy of our scores from AMCAS but I did better on the new exam than I did on the old exam.

For anyone who is interested: I called MUSC today about entering 2015 MCAT scores on the secondary and I was advised to indicate my test date (ex. MCAT and 04/2015), leave the actual score section blank and then e-mail admissions with my 2015 scores.

Sort of confused. So if we are in-state then we have to fill out the demographic PDF that is attached? Are we supposed to fit our entire essay answer into those 3 provided lines?

Right, if you're in-state, then you should download and complete the demographic PDF and email to admissions. As there's no word limit on these responses, I would use the space provided as a rough guide to how much writing they expect. There is a comment at the bottom of the PDF about attaching pages, which seems preferable to hand-written responses, but I'm sure either way is fine.

Has anyone successfully applied a fee waiver to their application? I sent an email to admissions and haven't heard anything back for over a week - any other ideas on who to contact?

I gather this school is not OOS friendly unless you have ties? I'd love to apply here, but I have nothing besides my wonderful visits to Charleston and love of the area. I am an older non-trad and would love to relocate to this area.

It's not, but I figured I'd give it a try. I'm in a neighboring state and they've been friendly to my school's grads before.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished this application.. was a bit confused because of the lack of essays. I'm OOS and it was a little disconcerting, both the way the application was laid out and the fact they don't appear to take FAP.

applied, got my fingers crossed

Anyone hear anything regarding interviews?

Admissions told me they would likely not be sending out interviews until September for regular decision applicants

Sweet, thanks for letting me know. The whole state of SC seems dead

So you'll either rain on my parade and point out an error in my thinking OR you'll be feeling confident after hearing me out.

I was reading one of the "interview threads" written by Goro, an adcom for a DO school. He pointed out that schools have to accept 2, 3, or sometimes many more applicants per available seat in order to fill them.

Well looking at MUSC's numbers for in state apps. They had 591 IS applicants last year and 146 matriculated. They interviewed 340. If they had to accept two people per seat that means they had to have accepted almost everyone who interviewed. Even if they only had to accept 1.5 people per seat that's 219 people or 64% of those interviewed OR 37% of all in-state applicants.

Those are some half decent odds.

received interview invite today, instate regular decision.... BURRR!!

I hope you're right about the interview acceptance rate, seeing as I just received an II. Where are those numbers from - MSAR? Although I will say that I have heard that in-state schools tend to distribute less acceptances because it is more likely there will be local students who want to stay in the area. For MUSC, I would not be particularly surprised if this were true.

The numbers are in the MSAR under the "Acceptance Information" tab.

How long ago did you submit your secondary? Mine won't be in for another five days or so since I'm waiting on my premed committee to write their LOR.

Does anyone know if musc accepts application updates?

Does anyone know how they screen for secondary applications at this school? I received a secondary app from them when I applied last year, but my primary went out to schools July 1st this year and I never received a secondary from them.

So you'll either rain on my parade and point out an error in my thinking OR you'll be feeling confident after hearing me out.

I was reading one of the "interview threads" written by Goro, an adcom for a DO school. He pointed out that schools have to accept 2, 3, or sometimes many more applicants per available seat in order to fill them.

Well looking at MUSC's numbers for in state apps. They had 591 IS applicants last year and 146 matriculated. They interviewed 340. If they had to accept two people per seat that means they had to have accepted almost everyone who interviewed. Even if they only had to accept 1.5 people per seat that's 219 people or 64% of those interviewed OR 37% of all in-state applicants.

Those are some half decent odds.

Current M1 at MUSC - we had over 4000 applicants to our class - ~170 matriculated - not sure about those stats, I think 1.5 people is ambitious. Sorry if that's raining on your parade, I just want you to look at the big picture. If anyone has any questions, please let me know I'd love to guide you in any way possible.

I appreciate the advice, but I think adding in the OOS students would be less accurate than what I predicted. The school is required to accept 90% in state students, of which they only had 591 applicants. Adding in the extra 3,500 does nothing to change the IS statistics.

MSTP II this morning!

For the interview/acceptance rate stats: http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/com/admissions/applying_college/statistics.htm

These were for 2012, but I would imagine the stats are fairly similar for this cycle. I believe every med school has to accept more students than it has seats for depending on the school's popularity, the likelihood that stronger applicants have multiple acceptances, etc. But for IS residents, using the 1 acceptance to 1 seat ratio, if you get an II you have a 37.46% chance of getting accepted (145 IS acceptances/387 IS IIs = 37.46%). Hope this clears things up a bit. Stay classy everyone!

Yes that is sort of what I was thinking. South Carolina doesn't need to accept 2 people per spot because most will accept their offers of admission to stay close to home.

Thank you for offering advice - do you think you could give some pointers on interviewing and any prep methods you may have used?

Hmm... So my experience with interviews was that they were a lot less stressful than you would imagine. Mostly, they are just a conversation - so laugh, talk, be charming, but most of all be yourself. These people don't want to hear bull****, because they siphon through that all day. Methods I used... I mostly just looked up possible interview questions (~20-30) and went through one day and gave each and every one some thought and wrote some ideas down - basically I soul searched- ex) What had I learned this far in life, what experiences really changed my perspectives on things.. etc. Then I had 2-3 different people interview me (2 close friends, then I set up a mock interview with my schools office of pre-professional advising). That was it for me.

II received today. Too excited!

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the advice, but I think adding in the OOS students would be less accurate than what I predicted. The school is required to accept 90% in state students, of which they only had 591 applicants. Adding in the extra 3,500 does nothing to change the IS statistics.

I would advise you to not carry that attitude... My point is - I think your stats are incorrect. Best of luck to you all going forward.

I would advise you to not carry that attitude... My point is - I think your stats are incorrect. Best of luck to you all going forward.

There was no attitude, my friend. I just don't agree with your reasoning for my reasoning being wrong. My apologies if you thought I was being rude in my explanation for that.

Has anyone interviewed here yet? Or have one coming up?

Mind if I ask what the MSTP Prompts are? Can't find them (but I am a little brain-dead). Thanks!

So there's two parts--an essay and a resume:

If these 2 sections have been covered in your AMCAS essays, you may refer to them. If you wish to embellish them, you may.

For the Essay section, write a brief essay that includes discussion of the following:

• why you are applying to MUSC - MUST RESPOND TO THIS
  • previous research experience(s)
  • current research interests
  • why you want to pursue the dual degrees
  • your long range goals
For the Resume/Personal History below, provide the following information in resume or curriculum vitae format:
  • past employment
  • undergraduate or summer research experience(s)
  • publications
  • academic honors, awards
  • extracurricular/community/professional activities
  • membership in professional organizations