2015-2016 Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry Application Thread

So would principles of chemistry 1 and 2 satisfy this requirement because my school only offers those two inorganic courses. I attend a university in the state of Georgia and most schools here offer principles of chem 1 and 2 instead of general 1 and 2. Also, did you take an Quantitative analysis course?
I actually took Gen. Chem 1 and 2. I would say call the admissions office to see what they say as far as being particular and maybe confirming with your academic advisor that you are getting the correct prerequisites to satisfy those requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'll kick it off....I was rejected...anyone heard of anything about the MHS program for this cycle yet? Best of luck to the rest!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed in the "top 10%"
19AA 17PAT 19Total Sci.
3.91 sGPA 3.91 overall GPA
Not URM

I'm reapplying this year and have been a bit discouraged but I pray that I'm accepted into their MHS program. Good luck to those in the same boat as me and congratulations to those that have acceptances thus far. So I received this email yesterday 12/23.... Anyone else being considered for their MHS program?

Dear Applicant:

On behalf of the School of Dentistry Admissions Committee, we wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in completing your application for admission to the School of Dentistry at Meharry Medical College..... However, because the Committee believes that you have the potential to enter dental school after some additional preparation; your application is being considered for the Master of Health Sciences (MHS) program.....
Please respond to this email if you do not wish to be considered for MHS program. We will contact you in mid-March if you are selected for an interview for this program.

Thank you for your interest in the School of Dentistry at Meharry Medical College. We wish you the best with all of your future career endeavors.

Hey everyone, I'm applying next cycle. Did any of you apply before your prerequisites were completed, or did you have them all done by the time you app was submitted? I'm a post-bac, and I'll have my classes finished by August 2016, but I was concerned about submitting my application too late! Thoughts?

Can anyone post any volunteer and extracurriculars that the school of dentistry might be looking for on your application. (For those that have been accepted can you share yours).

Hey everyone, I'm applying next cycle. Did any of you apply before your prerequisites were completed, or did you have them all done by the time you app was submitted? I'm a post-bac, and I'll have my classes finished by August 2016, but I was concerned about submitting my application too late! Thoughts?

I had all of my prerequisites completed before I applied, but that shouldn't matter just as long as you intend to complete those courses. You can always do an academic update during the application cycle. I know someone who received a few interview invites after they submitted new grades.

Can anyone post any volunteer and extracurriculars that the school of dentistry might be looking for on your application. (For those that have been accepted can you share yours).

I would say look up the mission statement to help guide you in finding extracurricular/volunteer opportunities. I volunteered at a dental clinic in the inner city, was involved in the dental club in undergrad, and found volunteer opportunities to help the underserved. Like I said though, check out the mission statement and go from there. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I had all of my prerequisites completed before I applied, but that shouldn't matter just as long as you intend to complete those courses. You can always do an academic update during the application cycle. I know someone who received a few interview invites after they submitted new grades.

I would say look up the mission statement to help guide you in finding extracurricular/volunteer opportunities. I volunteered at a dental clinic in the inner city, was involved in the dental club in undergrad, and found volunteer opportunities to help the underserved. Like I said though, check out the mission statement and go from there. Best of luck to you!
Okay Thanks for your help. How many hours total did you accumulate total. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Has anyone been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today

Anyone get that acceptance email this morning?

Interview invite today
Hi dear,
I also received an interview invite form Meharry on the 7th of January, they rescheduled it for next week because of the weather, have you been able to get any other dates besides the 29th?
Thanks for your response

I declined the invite but it was scheduled for February 5th.

I was starting to get nervous.
Pre december Nov 20th
Interview
School: Meharry
Notification date: 11/9/15
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/28/15
Application complete date: 10/21/15
GPA (science, overall) 3.69 sci, 3.72 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 18/19/19/21/ QR 12
Hi,
I have an interview this Friday at Meharry, can you please tell me what type of questions they asked?
Thanks

Hi,
I have an interview this Friday at Meharry, can you please tell me what type of questions they asked?
Thanks
Congrats on the interview!
I interviewed with two faculty members.
The first interview was pretty relaxed. She asked me typical questions like "why dentistry?" "Have you considered medicine?" she brought up my low QR score too.
She also gave me a scenario to respond to. "If you were studying for a gross anatomy exam with your group and they decided that they no longer wanted to study with you because you didn't contribute to the study sessions... How would you react?"

The second interview session was more like an interrogation than an actual interview.
She kept asking about my low DAT score and how my score doesn't match my "high" GPA. (I answered the question about 4 different ways)
She didn't really ask many questions. She was mostly making statements about how hard/expensive dental school is.
She also told me she wouldn't want me as her dentist because I made a 12 QR and that math is an important part in pharmacology so I would prescribe wrong doses of medication. The few questions she did ask were "How do you plan on paying for dental school?" and "Do you have any questions for me?" "You're from Texas, You could go to UTSD, UTHSCSA or Baylor; Why did you apply here?" That's about it.

I think drilling their applicants is their method of interviewing though. Just stay composed and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
The first interview was pretty relaxed. She asked me typical questions like "why dentistry?" "Have you considered medicine?" she brought up my low QR score too.
She also gave me a scenario to respond to. "If you were studying for a gross anatomy exam with your group and they decided that they no longer wanted to study with you because you didn't contribute to the study sessions... How would you react?"

The second interview session was more like an interrogation than an actual interview.
She kept asking about my low DAT score and how my score doesn't match my "high" GPA. (I answered the question about 4 different ways)
She didn't really ask many questions. She was mostly making statements about how hard/expensive dental school is.
She also told me she wouldn't want me as her dentist because I made a 12 QR and that math is an important part in pharmacology so I would prescribe wrong doses of medication. The few questions she did ask were "How do you plan on paying for dental school?" and "Do you have any questions for me?" "You're from Texas, You could go to UTSD, UTHSCSA or Baylor; Why did you apply here?" That's about it.

I think drilling their applicants is their method of interviewing though. Just stay composed and you will be fine.
Thanks,
Do you have any advice on how to approach the "how do you plan on paying for dental school" question? Because I am not sure of they might be looking for.

Thanks,
Do you have any advice on how to approach the "how do you plan on paying for dental school" question? Because I am not sure of they might be looking for.
Well that answer varies depending on the person. Some people do HPSP/NHSC. Some go into private practice or corporate. Just tell them what your plans are to pay it back. As long as you don't say you're gonna rob a bank or sell drugs you should be fine ;)

A
Well that answer varies depending on the person. Some people do HPSP/NHSC. Some go into private practice or corporate. Just tell them what your plans are to pay it back. As long as you don't say you're gonna rob a bank or sell drugs you should be fine ;)
Great, I guess I will keep my "bank robbery skills" out of the equation this time. I too have a 15QR, and I know that they will point it out during my interview I am practicing my answers as much as possible until Friday. Did you volunteer at any hospital before? I have 200 hours from a trauma center, I think they might see that like I was interested in medical school before, hopefully that experience doesn't back fire.
Thanks a lot for your responses

Are you from In state or out of state? And how long after your interview did you hear back from them? They are my only hope now, it of 6 schoo sthey are the only one that offered me an interview so far, I know that k have to do my best to get the seat. Pretty scared over here.

A

Great, I guess I will keep my "bank robbery skills" out of the equation this time. I too have a 15QR, and I know that they will point it out during my interview I am practicing my answers as much as possible until Friday. Did you volunteer at any hospital before? I have 200 hours from a trauma center, I think they might see that like I was interested in medical school before, hopefully that experience doesn't back fire.
Thanks a lot for your responses
:rofl:
No I haven't volunteered at a hospital or anything. I was apart of a pre-medical club in undergrad which is probably why they asked me that question. I think it's important to explore all your career options in undergrad before committing to one just to make sure its something you REALLY want to pursue. So your hospital experience definitely won't hurt.
Are you from In state or out of state? And how long after your interview did you hear back from them? They are my only hope now, it of 6 schoo sthey are the only one that offered me an interview so far, I know that k have to do my best to get the seat. Pretty scared over here.
I'm a Texas resident. I interviewed November 20th and got accepted on December 1st. You have a post-December interview so that might effect how long it takes for them to make a decision. Don't be afraid, try to stay calm. Especially during the interview. You will do great!

:rofl:
No I haven't volunteered at a hospital or anything. I was apart of a pre-medical club in undergrad which is probably why they asked me that question. I think it's important to explore all your career options in undergrad before committing to one just to make sure its something you REALLY want to pursue. So your hospital experience definitely won't hurt.

I'm a Texas resident. I interviewed November 20th and got accepted on December 1st. You have a post-December interview so that might effect how long it takes for them to make a decision. Don't be afraid, try to stay calm. Especially during the interview. You will do great!
Thanks for the advice, I hope to share some good news in the near future.
Peace

I wonder if we had the same interviewer. She was a bit snappy lol. Tried to push my buttons. I suppose to see how I reacted??

I wonder if we had the same interviewer. She was a bit snappy lol. Tried to push my buttons. I suppose to see how I reacted??
Same here... I had an interviewer (maybe the same) who tried to corner me a few times, but i remained calm and got through it. I made her laugh a few times and she seemed to lighten up a little lol.

Same here... I had an interviewer (maybe the same) who tried to corner me a few times, but i remained calm and got through it. I made her laugh a few times and she seemed to lighten up a little lol.

Yea, I managed to make it through the interview. Gave her the side eye a few times lol. Ultimately, I ended up turning them down for my state school. I really liked Meharry though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm assuming we had the same interviewer lol.

Wow, we had practically the same interview experience lol. Im pretty sure we had the same woman for the second interview. Not gonna lie, she threw me off a little bit lol

Wow, we had practically the same interview experience lol. Im pretty sure we had the same woman for the second interview. Not gonna lie, she threw me off a little bit lol
Yeah she put me on tilt. At that point I just wanted to go back home -_-"

Has anyone else been accepted and paid their acceptance fee? If so, please DM me.

waitlisted and then rejected.
Sorry to hear that. Do you mind sharing your stats, and did your interviewers say that they would recommend you after your interview or not? How long after your interview did you hear about the results? I am praying for an acceptance from them.
Thanks for your response

Did you guys get any kind of confirmation after you faxed/emailed the interview confirmation form?

Did you guys get any kind of confirmation after you faxed/emailed the interview confirmation form?
I didn't, but to be sure you can call them on Monday to let them know that you faxed it in. Good luck on your interview

I recently had my interview at Meharry and I love the school, I can see myself going there . I have been been wondering about how long it would take to hear with some news, I can't sleep these days. Any idea here?

I recently had my interview at Meharry and I love the school, I can see myself going there . I have been been wondering about how long it would take to hear with some news, I can't sleep these days. Any idea here?

I had to wait 17 days untl I heard back from them last February. I know waiting is hard, I remember how you felt.

Wow, 17 days geez, I guess i need to hang on. By any chance did your interviewer tell you that she or he will recommend you for admission? I am wondering if that's even plausible that they told me that.

I had to wait 17 days untl I heard back from them last February. I know waiting is hard, I remember how you felt.
Wow, 17 days geez, I guess i need to hang on. By any chance did your interviewer tell you that she or he will recommend you for admission? I am wondering if that's even plausible that they told me that.

I actually interviewed on January 16th and got my acceptance on February 2nd last cycle if that helps.

Accepted. God is awesome, I have been praying for this day to come

Reactions: 7 users