2015-2016 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a med stay program? Interviewing 11/19 and haven't heard interview details yet!

Never heard about a med stay program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So this secondary got pushed back becasue I was working on other secondaries that I'd received first, leading me to feel it was too late and not do this secondary. However, I received the email schools send out to incomplete secondary recipients and I responded and asked if it was too late. They said they'd change my status from passive withdrawal to allow me to submit the secondary and strongly recommended that I submit it within a week. Question: Is it just too late? I think I'd just be throwing money down the drain if I submitted this late, considering how late in the cycle it is, the fact that they only accept around 20 direct entry students, and the fact that my application is average. Thoughts?

They only accept around 20 direct entry students?

They only accept around 20 direct entry students?
From what I understand, yes, they only accept 20 to 30 direct entry students because most of their students come from their extended programs. Because of that,I don't feel very good about submitting the secondary, especially considering how late in the cycle it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this secondary got pushed back becasue I was working on other secondaries that I'd received first, leading me to feel it was too late and not do this secondary. However, I received the email schools send out to incomplete secondary recipients and I responded and asked if it was too late. They said they'd change my status from passive withdrawal to allow me to submit the secondary and strongly recommended that I submit it within a week. Question: Is it just too late? I think I'd just be throwing money down the drain if I submitted this late, considering how late in the cycle it is, the fact that they only accept around 20 direct entry students, and the fact that my application is average. Thoughts?

We were told at the interview that neomed accepts about 38 direct entry students. Of course this is just an estimate because how many they take depends on how many students drop out of their other programs, but the number is still about twice as much as you thought. I'd say base your decision about the secondary on whether or not you think you have a shot somewhere else. If not, I'd say write the essays and bite the bullet. However, if you also applied DO or otherwise think you have a great shot at another MD school, don't waste your time on these rather difficult essay Qs.

I'm extremely surprised I got an interview here. I'm an out of state student (from Michigan). My interview is scheduled for Nov 19th

For all the direct entry questions, I am currently a direct entry 4th year student (Ohio resident). The class is about 1/4 direct entry. Last year the class size also increased from 140 to 160. That is about 40 per class. If you have anymore specific questions about the school, please PM me.

This is my top choice! Have not received an II yet but got one from OSU? Think I still have a chance here at direct entry?

It looks like they are interviewing more OOS applicants. On my interview day the majority was OOS, while last year they only interviewed 14 people OOS.

My application was complete on 10/12, still haven't heard anything from them. Should I keep waiting? IS (from on of their three "feeder" schools), 3.7 GPA, and high MCAT. This is my first choice, and I would pretty disappointed if I didn't even get to interview...

My application was complete on 10/12, still haven't heard anything from them. Should I keep waiting? IS (from on of their three "feeder" schools), 3.7 GPA, and high MCAT. This is my first choice, and I would pretty disappointed if I didn't even get to interview...
I had about a two-month turnaround from complete to II, so I'd say you've got some time left to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey just got a II for Jan 14th---OOS. Do you think it's even worth it if they don't accept any OOS? Did they say in previous IIs how many they are interviewing vs. accepting (i.e. what's my shot once I interview)?

hey just got a II for Jan 14th---OOS. Do you think it's even worth it if they don't accept any OOS? Did they say in previous IIs how many they are interviewing vs. accepting (i.e. what's my shot once I interview)?

I think you should go anyway. On my interview day there seemed to be plenty of students from OOS. And they do accept some OOS, granted that number is very small compared to other schools. You have to look at it this way, if they even sent you an II then your application looks promising to the admissions committee. In terms of your shot post-interview, I have not heard any statistics.

Anyone know what the interview day here is like?

Open, closed, MMI, one interview or multiple, tour and lunch etc?

Anyone know what the interview day here is like?

Open, closed, MMI, one interview or multiple, tour and lunch etc?

Interviews are open file, with two one on one 30 minute long interviews with basic science and/or clinical professors.

The tour of the school was nice, they show you the very nice fitness center, there are a few places to eat right in the center. Lunch for our group was at the bistro right in the main area.

Has anyone heard back positive or negative from my interview date 11/5? It's been almost a month :/

Nothing yet. Didn't they say 4 to 6 weeks?
From scanning the last year's forums, it appears that those who interviewed around the same time that we did (11/6 last year) heard back just before or after Thanksgiving weekend. It also seems that they received their notification through snail mail, so be watching your mail. I'm speculating that we'll be getting a response within the next week or two.

For people that interviewed on 11/19 how long did they tell you it would be?
I feel that when the adcom meets they probably will/would talk about both interview dates. I'd be interested to see how long this later interview date was told.

For people that interviewed on 11/19 how long did they tell you it would be?
I feel that when the adcom meets they probably will/would talk about both interview dates. I'd be interested to see how long this later interview date was told.
During our interview on 11/5, they told us that the adcom was meeting on the 18th, so my assumption is that they met the day before you guys came in to discuss the previous interview groups. Which I now realize doesn't help you that much in terms of answering your question, but at least it gives you an idea!

Last edited:
Yea gotcha, I interviewed one the 5th as well but I didn't catch them saying They would meet on the 18th. I was wondering what they told the 19th interviewees as a way of gauging how long it would be before we hear. However, looks like it's just going to be more waiting.....
During our interview on 11/5, they told us that the adcom was meeting on the 18th, so my assumption is that they met the day before you guys came in to discuss the previous interview groups. Which I now realize doesn't help you that much in terms of answering your question, but at least it gives you an idea!

Yea gotcha, I interviewed one the 5th as well but I didn't catch them saying They would meet on the 18th. I was wondering what they told the 19th interviewees as a way of gauging how long it would be before we hear. However, looks like it's just going to be more waiting.....

They told us on 11/19 that the committee had met the day before and that they only have one committee meeting per month!

Accepted! Almost four years and three application cycles later, I finally got in. Absolutely overwhelmed.

Interviewed 11/5 and just got a phone call today with the acceptance and a notification that they were sending out the acceptance packet. Grew up in Youngstown, moved away for college and then graduate school, and now I'm coming home for my MD. Couldn't be more excited.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got the call too
Got in
What an amazing feeling

I got the acceptance call Thurs 12/3. :D Those calls must be so fun to make lol

Currently wait-listed here. Waiting until spring to find out my tier is going to kill me. Any current students hanging around who were accepted off the wait-list?

No news since I applied in October, lol... Does anyone happen to know what the upcoming interview dates are? Should I even keep waiting for any response from here?

Has anyone had luck hearing back from an update letter? I sent one in october but haven't gotten a response if it was added to my file or not.

Well, I finally got the II (Feb 11 , the day before my birthday, lol)! Almost three months after applying, and now I finally have a chance at my first choice. Anyone have any advice for this interview?

My anxiety is getting to be crazy over this school. Have a 3.9GPA and an 80th percentile MCAT but my behaviorialsciences section was uneven to the rest of my score with a 124. Their site says a minimum of 125 for each section. Do you think this means they didn't even look at my app? Been completed since beginning of sept

My anxiety is getting to be crazy over this school. Have a 3.9GPA and an 80th percentile MCAT but my behaviorialsciences section was uneven to the rest of my score with a 124. Their site says a minimum of 125 for each section. Do you think this means they didn't even look at my app? Been completed since beginning of sept

I'm not sure that MCAT requirement is for the Direct Pathway. Where did you see this?

I'm not sure that MCAT requirement is for the Direct Pathway. Where did you see this?

I guess they could make an exception now that I read under it but I'm just so confused why no II yet. I've lived in ne Ohio my entire life, first generation college student, primary care bound, good clinical experience, and did research at the Cleveland clinic

Ughhhhh this is where I want to go.

http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/medicine/direct/pre-requisites-and-requirements

I guess they could make an exception now that I read under it but I'm just so confused why no II yet. I've lived in ne Ohio my entire life, first generation college student, primary care bound, good clinical experience, and did research at the Cleveland clinic

Ughhhhh this is where I want to go.

http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/medicine/direct/pre-requisites-and-requirements

I wouldn't worry too much about being screened out since the site says they are suggested minimums.

Additionally,
"Applicants whose qualifications, experiences and interests are very well aligned with our mission, but who do not meet these minimum academic criteria, may still be considered for admission."

As long as you were able to demonstrate your mission-oriented characteristics in your application, you should be fine screening-wise. I guess you'll just have to wait it out.

When were you complete?

I wouldn't worry too much about being screened out since the site says they are suggested minimums.

Additionally,
"Applicants whose qualifications, experiences and interests are very well aligned with our mission, but who do not meet these minimum academic criteria, may still be considered for admission."

As long as you were able to demonstrate your mission-oriented characteristics in your application, you should be fine screening-wise. I guess you'll just have to wait it out.

When were you complete?

I was complete sept 4.
Thank you! I think my essays were well within their mission. Just gunna try and wait it out. Just so much anxiety. Have a II at OSU and while beautiful would rather go here.

OhioNikki7, I was complete 9/4 too! Hopefully we both get some love from our number one choices!

I think the committee meets in the middle of every month so there's still hope guys! Good luck!!

II this morning for February 11th. California resident complete 9/29/2015. Kinda surprised with this one...

I called about the status of my update letters and they told me they were received. So as long as you sent them to [email protected], I'm sure the update letters have been added to your file.

Still hoping for some in state love ...

Has anyone who interviewed on the 1/14 interview date received and acceptance yet?

Has anyone who interviewed on the 1/14 interview date received and acceptance yet?

I interviewed 1/14 and received a letter in the mail on 1/25 that said I was placed on the alternate list. I'm OOS.

Last edited:
Has anyone OOS who interviewed get accepted or rejected or did everyone OOS get put on the alternate list?

Has anyone been accepted off of the alternate list here yet this cycle?