2015-2016 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm guessing if I did not get the survey email, or the mass email sarahsmith mentioned, then I am unlikely to be waitlisted? :( At least I've already prepared for this and am ready for the second round of applications.

Members don't see this ad.

It was my understanding that wait listed applicants will receive an email and if you don't receive the email you are either accepted or rejected...

Yep, letter of rejection came today. . . kind of felt it was coming even before I went to the interview. Fun times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, letter of rejection came today. . . kind of felt it was coming even before I went to the interview. Fun times.

So sorry, best of luck to you next cycle! You deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

NEOMED playing with my heart by sending me snail mail. The letdown after realizing it's just a printout of the email we received last week -- aahhhhhhh

Reactions: 2 users
Just received a confirmation email regarding opting into the waitlist. Thought I should let my potential peers know too.

Reactions: 1 users
Last batch of MCAT scores were released yesterday, so the committee should now have a solid idea of how many seats are available.

Hopefully offers roll out before the weekend!

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if any offers have been made off the wait list?

If you are waitlisted here but accepted somewhere else, for the love of god go somewhere else. This place has a ridiculous attrition rate and the university doesn't give a rats ass about you.

For example, almost 15% of the Class of 2018 had to repeat a year thus far or have been dismissed. 10% of the Class of 2019 has to repeat the year.

This place is toxic and the "support" services give you only lip service and pep talks. Tutors are highly unqualified and course materials are about as transparent and easy to comprehend as mud.

Run far away if you can.

For example, almost 15% of the Class of 2018 had to repeat a year thus far or have been dismissed. 10% of the Class of 2019 has to repeat the year.

I understand this person's opinion is N=1 and that mcatman4321's opinion is the prevailing, common consensus. However, this fact is a bit concerning.

@mcatman4321 @pedstar09, can you guys address this a bit in detail? What's the grading system like at NEOMED? How much legitimacy is there to this fact?

Reactions: 1 user
something about the way mcatman4321 writes makes me suspicious. not that we should just believe anonymousstudent666... but his responses just rub me the wrong way.

I honestly don't care what anyone's opinion on the school is at this point. I just want to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What year are you? You sound like an M4 who just graduated. Many things are different now, you would be surprised. Also Dr. Lecat is awesome.

I attend NEOMED currently in the second year, moving into the 3rd. My statistics are accurate and my intentions are clear - if you have no choice but to come here, welcome aboard. Otherwise, go somewhere else and save yourself 4 years of being a miserable sack of ****. Yes, everything you said about being well-prepared is accurate. The school does not fail to OFFER the opportunity for you to learn clinical skills to be successful. Other than that, this place is a ****show circus 6 out of 7 days a week. As far as matching to top programs in the country, I'll say this much. Every program has a medical student who is "at the top of their class." NEOMED is no exception. Several students out of this year's match (including high visibility M4s) did not get their 1st or 2nd residency selection. You are an M4, ask your friends. There's one dude going to Vanderbilt for EM and another to Man's Greatest. Whoopie, 2 students. Out of a class of 130 something.

Then again, since the MO of this school is to graduate primary care physicians, their mechanism to do so is to load you down with so much irrelevant crap that you do average on Step 1 and have no choice but to explore IM, FM, or Peds. Although one chick got into Pitt for Cardiothoracic surg. One student. Out of a class of 130 something.

Just put things in perspective. You'll have the people who love this place because they had no choice but here. You'll have the people who hate this place and still had no choice but here. Lastly, you'll have the people who hate this place and had choices, but came here because of in-state tuition (either from the start of M1 or starting M2 if you're OOS.)

I want to also say that The Village accommodations are nice, if you're an incoming M1. Rent for a double is $765 and heaven forbid if you get stuck with a terrible, autistic BS/MD. I've heard a few horror stories of pans left on the counter for weeks with food still in them. Not that that's uncommon, but it's probably just a symptom of these BS/MD kids being 20 years old and in M1. That said, if I would have had the willpower to go through the old 6 year program fresh out of high school, I'd love to have some years back from my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even know if that student who commented above even attends NEOMED or if he/she is just bitter because he was rejected given how competitive NEOMED has gotten for direct entry because I think it is very unlikely or rare for an actual NEOMED student to ever feel that way.

NEOMED as competitive? This place accepts people who have applied multiple times and not gotten an offer. If you fail the comprehensive exam 2nd year, you aren't allowed to sit for Step 1 and are forced to repeat M2. This place has postbacc rejects from all kinds of programs. Don't stick a turd in front of me and call it a tootsie roll. I go here and I'm looking at this every single day.

Lastly, I am a direct entry and I did have choices but they were all out of state, hence why I came here.

Yeah sure, you might save 40-60k in tuition over the 4-year program by coming here. But if you have to repeat a year, or they kick you out, you definitely didn't save any money by going here when you could have gone to a program that treats you better.

H/P/F is great, except for the part where other medical schools allow you to retake 1 exam in each class without hitting you with an R on your ERAS transcript. This place doesn't "have your back" like other places do. I have nothing to gain by bashing my own school and I think that is just as obvious as anything else.

I actually wouldn't even be surprised if you were a Public Relations shill account. That's how ****ed up this place is.

Just one more thing...

If you are coming here, please don't be paralyzed with complete fear. Many people survive this place and go on to be good doctors. The most important thing for you to do is to not listen to a single damn word that Academic Services and the M2 panels tell you during Prologue. Don't listen to M2s when they tell you that something was easy. Always listen when they say it was hard.

There are several professors who feel the exact same way that I do and will do everything in their power to help you. If you're struggling, GO TO OFFICE HOURS ASAP. Do not wait another day to do it. Save yourself. Additionally, there are many upperclassmen (including myself) who will be glad to give you resources, study tips, and other assistance to keep you in the game.

Your first year is probably your worst year. Study for every exam like you want to honor it, just to make sure you pass. Don't waste your time going to lecture if you don't get something out of it. The lectures are recorded and allow you more time to memorize facts if you play at 2x speed and take down what they say.

If you're coming here or you get off the waitlist and have nowhere else to go, please feel free to PM me for book recommendations, free study resources/prev years of review powerpoints, and equipment advice. You are not alone.

I think for those of us on the waitlist we have to realize the following:

1. This is an MD school - we should be grateful whatever the path forward may be. It allows us to keep many doors open (specialty-wise) simply because we would have two valued letters next to our name.

2. I went through a lot of the previous application cycle threads and it seems that they are constantly adjusting the curriculum. At the interview I asked them specific questions about it and got vague answers. I guess that confirms my theory on the changing curriculum. This means we should expect to heavily rely on self-studying if we go here otherwise we're just another set of guinea pigs in the experiment.

3. It seems from both sides of arguments that the professors are the ones that are the most reliable aspect of this school - whether it's through listening to challenges on exam questions (mcatman4321) or feeling the same way about the system the students do (anonymousstudent666). Seems like they are the most reliable source for advice/action.

4. No system is ever perfect. That's why it's on us to take initiative to point things out that we feel can improve to the Dean. Seems like a nice guy who would listen and have autonomy when it comes to changes.

I'm glad people with insight are posting their perspectives and hope more come forward. It's going to help us prepare for any shortcomings this school may or may not have. It's better to know than to be blind-sided and taken for a ride.

Hi everyone,

Glad to see varied opinions about this school. I was in a similar boat as well. 4 years ago, I was only accepted to 3 schools and only one in-state school (NEOMED).

I can see where the person posting against NEOMED is coming from. I agree that this place is not perfect. I agree that the advisers dont have the best advise all the time.
That being said, our average Step 1 scores are rising every year. The number of students failing step 1 is decreasing every year. The reason could be the students are preparing better or the school is doing something right. Whatever it might be, results are in front of us.

For the statistics, it is hard for NEOMED since some of those reflect the BS/MD students who take more than 2 years occasionally. All these other numbers, I also take with grain of salt. Our class started with 146. We had 135 at the end of first year and we had 8 of those fail step 1. We just graduated 129 students. and this IS the fact.

More than everything that is being discussed, you WILL be better placed clinically. It is up to you to put the efforts in.

I think for those of us on the waitlist we have to realize the following:

1. This is an MD school - we should be grateful whatever the path forward may be. It allows us to keep many doors open (specialty-wise) simply because we would have two valued letters next to our name.

2. I went through a lot of the previous application cycle threads and it seems that they are constantly adjusting the curriculum. At the interview I asked them specific questions about it and got vague answers. I guess that confirms my theory on the changing curriculum. This means we should expect to heavily rely on self-studying if we go here otherwise we're just another set of guinea pigs in the experiment.

3. It seems from both sides of arguments that the professors are the ones that are the most reliable aspect of this school - whether it's through listening to challenges on exam questions (mcatman4321) or feeling the same way about the system the students do (anonymousstudent666). Seems like they are the most reliable source for advice/action.

4. No system is ever perfect. That's why it's on us to take initiative to point things out that we feel can improve to the Dean. Seems like a nice guy who would listen and have autonomy when it comes to changes.

I'm glad people with insight are posting their perspectives and hope more come forward. It's going to help us prepare for any shortcomings this school may or may not have. It's better to know than to be blind-sided and taken for a ride.
I think MD schools have certain cachet to them, but no to the degree that you implied. Having been in the field, I can tell you the difference is fading rapidly. For top specialties, MD will help, but one must realize the difference is from students not from the MD behind their names. If all students with better academic records decided to go to MD schools, it is only natural that they'll have better pass rates and better match results. The only real difference remains in the mind students and some old generation doctors who are (unfortunately) still in charge of residency programs, but once a practicing doctor, this matters not.

What's taking so long?? This waiting is not fun.

Has anyone on here gotten an acceptance off of the waitlist yet?

I heard from word of mouth that there is a promotion day for the BS/MD and post-bac/MD pathways, so maybe that has to occur first before they send out offers? Don't know how legitimate this rumor is though.
Still, I feel like we should have heard something by now since they said they would start late-May in one email and early June in another email...

I'm a little upset they didn't care to tell us our ranking given we've had to patiently wait until June. It's the least they could have done to give us some sort of closure.

Last edited:
I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope we get to be classmates in the fall.

Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday. I sincerely wish you all the best and hope we get to be classmates in the fall.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Assuming mosmart's acceptance date was last Wednesday (5 business days ago), can we assume the next round of acceptances come out tomorrow?

Assuming mosmart's acceptance date was last Wednesday (5 business days ago), can we assume the next round of acceptances come out tomorrow?

From last years thread, it would seem that the next round of acceptances will more likely be next week or the week after that. But here's hoping something happens tomorrow!

I'm going to start losing hope if I don't hear anything by the end of next week. I understand that it's kind of early to lose hope, but I'm OOS and odds are not in my favor.

I'm going to start losing hope if I don't hear anything by the end of next week. I understand that it's kind of early to lose hope, but I'm OOS and odds are not in my favor.
Do you know if they already accepted any OOS students yet?

I think there was maybe 1 or 2, but I'd have to go back through this thread to double-check. I know there were a lot of OOS interview invites though. I'd say >30% of my interview group was OOS. Seems like false hope in retrospect.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Oos. 25 mcat 10v 8b 7p. 3.81 cgpa 3.79*I think or 3.78 sc. Full time work throughout school, comm volunteering, neurosc research (not published) etc. I of course didn't think i had a great shot but I had faith and trusted in God's grace. Please keep the hope, I know how nerve-wracking this can be but you'll get in!

Reactions: 4 users
Do any current students on here know when the committee will meet next to decide on waitlisted students?

Do they have a set day to call? It seems like every Wednesday right?

Nope I was just wondering the same thing! :/

Hopefully we can hope for something tomorrow?

Has anyone been in contact with admissions? I'm still curious why they aren't giving out ranks this year.

The question is...who will be brave enough to call them up?

I've tried a couple times but it always went to voicemail

Here's a couple theories:

Theory A:
The admissions committee only met once a month to hand out interviews. Maybe that trend continues regarding the waitlist. Given that mosmart is an indication that the June meeting has already commenced, we wouldn't expect anything until sometime in July (right around the corner peeps).

Another theory (B):
They're basking in the sun and making the most of the summer. That's why calls end up going to voicemail.

Last theory (C):
Seats are filled up. Only going to consult the waitlist if someone drops out of the roster.

Take your pick. Don't forget to enjoy the summer. :clap:

I emailed Jim Barrett and asked if offers could go out after the first week of August because that letter we got says offers go out until the first week of August but then later in the letter it says final letters don't go out until the end of August. He said yes, offers can go out until the end of August. Then he said this, "Alt list movement is actually occurring now as about a half dozen offers went out last week. I'd project approximately the same number more, but we are awaiting some results related to our current students progressing or not." Thought y'all would like to know.

Not that this really helps because we have no idea where we stand on the list or how far down on the list they've made it. Either way, it's nice to know offers are going out.

I emailed Jim Barrett and asked if offers could go out after the first week of August because that letter we got says offers go out until the first week of August but then later in the letter it says final letters don't go out until the end of August. He said yes, offers can go out until the end of August. Then he said this, "Alt list movement is actually occurring now as about a half dozen offers went out last week. I'd project approximately the same number more, but we are awaiting some results related to our current students progressing or not." Thought y'all would like to know.

Does this mean that there are approximately 6 spots left?

Does this mean that there are approximately 6 spots left?

I hoped it meant 6 spots were going out this week, but yeah probably 6 more total.

Good luck everyone! Hopefully this week we will all hit the jackpot!!!

:xf::luck::xf:

I was accepted last Friday. Thank you to those of you who kept us all up to date with the latest information. I wish you all the best!