2015-2016 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS Applicant, submitted. Good luck guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys! I'm currently an M3. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Best of luck with applications this year!

Yes everything is done through snail mail with UAMS. Very old fashioned but it is what it is

Reactions: 1 users
How are the research opportunities? Did you apply / consider going elsewhere? UofA for undergrad?
There's an option to apply for Honors in Research. You have to complete a certain length of time doing research, write a paper or be published on one, present at the student research day, and probably some other things that I'm blanking on at the moment. For Honors in Research, you have the opportunity to apply for a small stipend that they pay you during the first summer which is when you would be doing most of your research. I actually am in the program and have done some molecular microbiology bench research for my project. There's also always opportunities to make connections with faculty and simply get involved in whatever it is they are doing. We also get emails about programs out of state to apply to, and I believe I had a few classmates go that route.

Yes, I applied elsewhere, but not too broadly since I was an IS applicant. UAMS, LSU, and Tulane. UAMS is where I got accepted, and honestly where it would be cheapest for me to go.

Henderson State University for undergrad, and Tulane University for MPH. I really dig public health issues and microbes. There's always a good chunk of the class that's from U of A and Hendrix of course though.

I was just curious how much they focus on volunteer work?

As someone who feels a little weak in volunteering, I wonder that too. Thank you for taking the time, HSU, to help us out a bit!

Not sure if I can give you a solid answer on this, but I can speculate. UAMS I feel like will definitely look at your entire application. MCAT scores and grades aren't going to be the end all be all. Solid volunteering will definitely help. I can't necessarily speak to what "amount" would be considered a positive or negative on the application. I have heard of people getting rejected for not having enough "medical experience," but am unsure if they mean volunteering or hospital exposure, or if that just depends on who they rejected. I think quality > quantity is important. Having some sort of leadership or volunteer activity you can enthusiastically discuss in the interview is great in my opinion. I loved my interview and felt like it ended up being a really strong aspect of my app.

My apologies if that's slightly vague!

Reactions: 2 users
What questions did they ask you in your interview?

And thanks for anwsering my last question. :)

I think for the interview some people's experiences are better than others. Like I said, I had a great experience. My app sort of screamed that I was interested in pediatrics, and I ended up with a child psychologist and two M4's applying to peds residencies. I think in some cases they may try to pair you based on interests, but I don't think everyone came out of the interview feeling like that was the case. Mine was very laid back for the most part. I had the usual tell me about yourself sort of stuff. They then asked a lot of follow up based on what I had shared. Two questions I do remember in particular are "what's the nicest (most selfless, something like that) thing you've done in the past 24 hours?" and "most challenging point/event in your life?" Oh and "what would I do if I didn't get into med school?" And they meant never - not just that year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to give some advise to a college student, planning to go medical school at UAMS, what would it be?

If you had to give some advise to a college student, planning to go medical school at UAMS, what would it be?
Focus on your grades. GPA is something that really indicates a good work ethic. A poor GPA can weed you out just like a poor MCAT can. UAMS really does look at the complete application, but you won't do yourself any favors by slacking off. Another thing is to be patient. The wait is sometimes unbearable. You submit your application and don't hear anything for months. Then you will have your interview and again hear nothing for months (potentially). Then you have an entire semester and summer to complete before you get going. So for now focus on what you can control. Focus on getting "A's" and the occasional "B". Decide what type of preparation you want to do for the MCAT. I took it once and only studied for about 2 weeks. Many people study much longer, and I am sure some study even less. Volunteer work is good. Research is good. I had essentially no volunteer experience, but I had strong research experience. The sooner you realize the things that medical schools look for, the better off you will be in preparing yourself. That being said, pick things that you have an interest in and stick with it. Shadow a physician, not because it looks good on the application, but to really understand what you are setting out to become. Medical school is a VERY expensive endeavor and loans are almost unavoidable. That means you need to have a passion for medicine. Basically, focus on what you can control right now, and enjoy those four years while doing things that will strengthen your application. I repeat, don't think that these four years are just about getting into medical school, you really should enjoy them. I got married, and had a child during the finals week of my senior year.

If you do something you love, you will never work a day in your life. Now would be a great time to decide if you love medicine.

Do they expect us to ask our letter writers to send the LOR through the mail for this secondary?

I should have also added to my earlier messages that I'm on my surgery rotation. So I'm super slow at getting around to reading stuff.

I feel like my answer to that question would be different from person to person. As already said, focus on being the best applicant you can be. But if you're applying this year, a lot of that is already done and decided. Acknowledge what you have done and have confidence in that. And if you feel you want to update the committee on anything you've done later on in the year - early spring before they review applications one more time - sending an update letter isn't out of the question. I did that. I might have been fine without it, but I had moved to a different city that fall and got involved in some volunteer work that didn't make my initial AMCAS app. Chances are that you've taken the bulk of your coursework, the MCAT, and done a lot already. A lot of hard work is already over.

Do they expect us to ask our letter writers to send the LOR through the mail for this secondary?

Did the secondary ask for LOR? I only ask because I applied in 2012 and it didn't ask then. We just used AMCAS for LOR. If I remember correctly, I thought the UAMS secondary was just some stuff to fill out and asked for a picture...

If you're an IS applicant make sure you call to schedule your interview starting today!

Darn! I thought they were going to email us before it opened. That's what they said, at least. Ah well, I wouldn't have had much time to call with how busy work was, anyway.

Could someone post secondary prompts if there are any?

Last edited:
I am a KS resident with a 3.85 cGPA and 3.83 sGPA as well as a 513 MCAT. In addition to my numbers, I feel that I have a well-rounded app. Do you guys think it's worth a shot applying, or am I better off not since I am OOS?

I am a KS resident with a 3.85 cGPA and 3.83 sGPA as well as a 513 MCAT. In addition to my numbers, I feel that I have a well-rounded app. Do you guys think it's worth a shot applying, or am I better off not since I am OOS?

It sounds like you have a great application. UAMS reserves about 20-25 spots (out of ~175) for OOS, and it seems in the past that strong ties take preference. If you have any strong ties then I would definitely encourage an application, otherwise I'd say you still have a pretty good shot.

so everything here is done by mail?

so everything here is done by mail?

The secondary is received via mail once AMCAS has been verified. Then you just complete the paperwork they send you (no prompts), add a check for $100, and send it right back. Interview invites go out through email - if you're in-state, you call to schedule in early August - but acceptance/waitlist/rejection all goes out together in one mass mailing at the end of February.

It sounds like you have a great application. UAMS reserves about 20-25 spots (out of ~175) for OOS, and it seems in the past that strong ties take preference. If you have any strong ties then I would definitely encourage an application, otherwise I'd say you still have a pretty good shot.
I don't exactly have ties to Arkansas, but I think what might help me stand out is my interest in primary care, especially since the school is well-regarded in that area. I think I just might give it a shot.

I don't exactly have ties to Arkansas, but I think what might help me stand out is my interest in primary care, especially since the school is well-regarded in that area. I think I just might give it a shot.

If you are interested in rural medicine in particular and indicate it throughout your application (personal statement, activities, interview, etc), then you have a great shot. UAMS has a rural medicine track and if you're waitlisted, you can sign a contract for rural medicine and be moved directly to the top.

Hey all, just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time and money applying here as an OK resident and no real strong ties to Arkansas. MCAT of 26, cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.64, plenty of volunteer and healthcare experience. Strongly considering because it is close to OK and a great school, but I'm not sure if they would give me the time of day. Thanks!

Hey all, just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time and money applying here as an OK resident and no real strong ties to Arkansas. MCAT of 26, cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.64, plenty of volunteer and healthcare experience. Strongly considering because it is close to OK and a great school, but I'm not sure if they would give me the time of day. Thanks!

OOS residents typically have much more competitive stats than Arkansan applicants, and in your case it might be more important given you don't have strong ties (they want you to both be successful and stay in Arkansas). I saw a 2010 stat from UAMS where the average applicant MCAT of OOS (>2000 apps) was ~30 and ~27 for in-staters (~315 apps).

OOS residents typically have much more competitive stats than Arkansan applicants, and in your case it might be more important given you don't have strong ties (they want you to both be successful and stay in Arkansas). I saw a 2010 stat from UAMS where the average applicant MCAT of OOS (>2000 apps) was ~30 and ~27 for in-staters (~315 apps).
thank you very much for the stats!

If you're an IS applicant, you can just call to schedule an interview, right? No need to fret over that call or e-mail saying you've been invited? That's really cool! Even if you're not the most competitive, the fact that you get to showcase yourself to the adcom might be a tipping factor in your admission. I wonder if more states do this, or if its just AR.

On the secondary (of which I haven't submitted yet, but plan to, this week), there was a cover letter included stating how they look forward to hearing from [me] "within two weeks" or by "November 15 at the latest." Because the "within two weeks" was bolded, does this mean that they give a preference (however slight it may be) to people who respond with their secondaries within two weeks from receiving it?

It's a moot point so I'm asking for clarification's sake, but I received the secondary in the mail on 7/29, which means "within two weeks" would have been mid August. Just wondering if it mattered.

Does anyone know when they contact out of state residents about interviews? I submitted my secondary in early August and haven't heard anything.

Does anyone know when they contact out of state residents about interviews? I submitted my secondary in early August and haven't heard anything.
You will get a confirmation email that your supplementary app and fee have been received. They do not review OOS applicants until December, and the interview is in January (the info is listed in the supplementary application btw).

Anyone interviewing on Saturday?

I'll be one of the students on the 12:30 tour. :hello:

Interviewed on saturday. Very chill, conversational panel of interviewers. Good tour of the educational centers afterward. Definitely enjoyed it, and is on my top list of schools I'd like to attend.

Good luck to everyone applying! I interviewed on Saturday at the 9:30am slot. I had a physician and 4th year med student. It was extremely relaxed, invigorating and engaging. Focused on getting to know me, my interests and my journey of getting there. The physician walked me out and gave great feedback and even welcomed me to shadow if interested. Be yourself, enjoy your day, and RELAX....you will do great :)

Anyone know much about the early decision letters and the process they use to determine who receives them?!

Anyone know much about the early decision letters and the process they use to determine who receives them?!

One Fayetteville student and less than a handful of others with exceptional premedical experience--significant commitment to community service and academic excellence--will be accepted in December on scholarship; varies from 2-6. High academic performers with substantial commitment to premedical experiences will be accepted January; usually around 20. Out of staters and the vast majority are accepted in February.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying OOS, about to mail out my supplemental application and then I realized it says that a committee letter is required. Is anyone else in my situation who did not have a committee letter but rather individual letters? Not sure what to do now.

Hey folks! Did any of you send thank you notes after your interview? I've been meaning to do it, and now I'm already a week and a half out from my interview, so I'm wondering if it's too late now. And has anyone ever sent a thank-you email to the interviewers at UAMS?

Thanks!

So I'm a bit late, but I just looked into UAMS at the suggestion of a friend. I'm OOS with a >90% Verbal, ~25% on P/S, 503 total on the new MCAT, non trad, sGPA 3.84, oGPA 3.88 with no strong ties to Arkansas.

Worth applying or is it tossing $137?

From what I have heard, if you don't have strong ties then you probably shouldn't apply. However, you will catch more fish with a wider net so who knows!

Hey folks! Did any of you send thank you notes after your interview? I've been meaning to do it, and now I'm already a week and a half out from my interview, so I'm wondering if it's too late now. And has anyone ever sent a thank-you email to the interviewers at UAMS?

Thanks!

I interviewed Saturday before last as well. I've written them, but worried it's not professional enough and so I've just been sitting on them for a few days. I think I should just buck up and send them in.
As long as you send one, I think it should be okay.

I interviewed Saturday before last as well. I've written them, but worried it's not professional enough and so I've just been sitting on them for a few days. I think I should just buck up and send them in.
As long as you send one, I think it should be okay.

I felt that way too, mostly because my handwriting isn't top-notch. But hey, it's the thought that counts, right? I just decided to go ahead and send mine, and not worry about it, haha.

So I'm a bit late, but I just looked into UAMS at the suggestion of a friend. I'm OOS with a >90% Verbal, ~25% on P/S, 503 total on the new MCAT, non trad, sGPA 3.84, oGPA 3.88 with no strong ties to Arkansas.

Worth applying or is it tossing $137?

It's true that you don't need to have strong ties to Arkansas. However, the only stats I've seen broken down by IS/OOS were from 2010, and the average MCAT for OOS applicants was ~30.5. The GPA was about 3.6 - that data is for applicants. Just so you have an idea of how you compare!

@billeboi31, I was hoping the fact that it is the "new" MCAT would help. Thanks for the advice! I don't think I'll apply though :)

Can you elaborate what "on scholarship" means? I do not see anything about scholarships being given in December. How much are these for? I see the general scholarship list with all the possible (small and usually for a certain background student) scholarship.

Sure thing. I'm not certain on the details. The fayetteville student receives a 100% scholarship, and I think one or two others receive some form of scholarship that is dependent on a very strong background in local service and academic excellence. Another one or two receive half scholarships I believe. Again, don't absolutely quote me on this. I know these scholarships are very selective. There are a small handful of others that can be awarded after matriculation based on career goals, heritage, and service backgrounds.

So I want everyone's opinion. I am jr. I work 2 jobs and volunteer. You would say that I am disadvantaged on a medical application ( even though that is a horrible word and I have never thought of my self as "disadvantaged" but apparently I fall in that category) I have been commited to the medical field for more than 5 years now doing anything I can to be around the medical field because I honestly love it so much. Do to my jobs I have not been able to focus in my grades that much leaving me with a few C's and will graduate with a 3.4 GPA. I have yet to take the MCATS though. Do you think there is any chance of me getting into UAMS? I truly appreciate any advise you can give me! I do live in AR by the way!