2015-2016 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been on edge for the past couple of days about decisions here because I have three friends who've interviewed at UCSF in mid-January or late-January. All three friends have received decisions within 4 weeks of their interview date (2 acceptance, one reject).

Members don't see this ad.

I've been on edge for the past couple of days about decisions here because I have three friends who've interviewed at UCSF in mid-January or late-January. All three friends have received decisions within 4 weeks of their interview date (2 acceptance, one reject).
Let it be known that I'm in the same position but have not herd anything yet. When I called mid-Feb, Michael told me I would be about another month. GG wp

Accepted just now!! Interviewed 12/15.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those accepted! For those of us who didn't get that lovely email, should we expect a rejection or waitlist soon? Or do all decisions go out around 5 pm PST Friday?

Accepted! Interviewed mid-Feb :) the cycle is done for me hurrah!

If you haven't heard back yet, don't lose hope! As you can see, the acceptances that came out yesterday were for people with interviews from many different interview dates.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed mid-Feb :) the cycle is done for me hurrah!

If you haven't heard back yet, don't lose hope! As you can see, the acceptances that came out yesterday were for people with interviews from many different interview dates.

Congratulations! Did you interview on Feb 9 or later? This is the last school I have to hear from and its my number one choice so its difficult to stay calm; I'm embarrassed about how much I checked my email yesterday.

Hi, is anyone on the WL here also a current senior? Did you guys send an updated transcript with fall grades? (In the email they explicitly said not to send any transcripts until they ask for them, but that they also want to know our grades...) So I'm not sure what I should be doing?

Hi, is anyone on the WL here also a current senior? Did you guys send an updated transcript with fall grades? (In the email they explicitly said not to send any transcripts until they ask for them, but that they also want to know our grades...) So I'm not sure what I should be doing?

I was in this boat last year, and did not send a transcript or any updates on my grades. Don't know if anything's changed, though.

I'm a current senior and on the WL! You can just write out your grades in an email to the admission office, and they will update your file. They trust that you are telling the truth (because if you aren't, they'll find out later when they do ask for final transcripts). I did this after my interview, before getting waitlisted. The info packet we received during interview day requests that you update them with any new grades or changes in coursework, but I'm not sure if it's really "required."

Accepted this week.
Interviewed the first week of February.
Over the moon!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted this week.
Interviewed the first week of February.
Over the moon!
on friday? just wondering what days they're releasing decisions so that i don't keep hitting refresh on my gmail throughout the week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
on friday? just wondering what days they're releasing decisions so that i don't keep hitting refresh on my gmail throughout the week :)
Thank you!

It was on Friday after 6pm Pacific time iirc.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be applying to UCSF this coming cycle. Can anyone tell me what kind of students that UCSF is most interested in (i.e., research-oriented, community service)?

I will be applying to UCSF this coming cycle. Can anyone tell me what kind of students that UCSF is most interested in (i.e., research-oriented, community service)?

all of the above. All schools (not just UCSF) are very interested in fit--what exactly this constitutes varies from school to school and is largely unknown to us as applicants. The only thing you can do is present your strengths as best as you can and hope the school thinks you are a competitive candidate and a good fit.

Have any accepted students received information on Second Look Weekend? It looks like it is April 22-24, but I can't seem to find any other details.

Where did you find that information?? I'm completely in the dark about it as well haha

Where did you find that information?? I'm completely in the dark about it as well haha
I found it from the person I quoted, haha. I think maybe someone's interviewer told them about it?

Anyone hear back from Feb 24?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do accepted applicants submit Master promissory note (MPN) now or after they receive award letter from UCSF or after they decide to matriculate?

Has anyone heard back from the admissions office in the past 2 weeks?

Alternated listed, interviewed late January. Got decision last week. Will be staying on. Looks like I shouldn't have been too excited getting IIs from both SF schools heh heh

Hi everyone!

I contacted the admissions office because I feel like we're all on edge as the app process winds down...the lady said that the next batch of decisions will come out next week (most around March 30/31) and she said by April 5th at the latest we should all know where we stand (accept, wait list, reject).

I hope they say to hell with it and we all get in!! :) Probably not plausible but I wish everyone the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
HOW many of us waiting to hear back apply to MD-PRIME or JMP?

I remember hearing something about PRIME applicants taking longer since they need to decide who they wish to interview after they are accepted to the MD program. Did I imagine this?

HOW many of us waiting to hear back apply to MD-PRIME or JMP?

I remember hearing something about PRIME applicants taking longer since they need to decide who they wish to interview after they are accepted to the MD program. Did I imagine this?

Still waiting on JMP here.

Does anyone have access to UCSF's match list for 2016?

Reactions: 1 users

Definitely both. The school looks for applicants who have strong backgrounds in either domain.

Alternate listed last week, interviewed late January. Does UCSF accept letters of interest?

How does financial aid work here? Unit loan and then grants afterward? Also, any word of when financial aid awards will be released?

How does financial aid work here? Unit loan and then grants afterward? Also, any word of when financial aid awards will be released?

Last year, from what I remember, people who had their financial aid information in by the end of March (or so) had their financial aid information by second look weekend (there are advisors there you can meet with if you have questions about your package).

I haven’t received UCSF estimates yet, but just looking at their 4-year COA, it jumps up to about $75,000 3rd year (bringing it on par with some private schools). So how do we make a good financial decision if we’re only given estimates for our MS1 year? Do we assume that any grant/scholarship money we receive stays the same every year and we just fill in the price increase with more loans? Dean Wofsy kept emphasizing that grants/scholarships are reserved mainly for need-based applicants and very limited (which makes me worry about year to year fluctuations, especially when I’ve already received some hefty grant/scholarship money from other comparable schools.)

How are some of you guys making decisions on which schools you can see yourself attending financially? I’ve never had to take out loans before so I don’t know how much leeway is too much. $20,000 more in loans? $40,000? $80,000???

I haven’t received UCSF estimates yet, but just looking at their 4-year COA, it jumps up to about $75,000 3rd year (bringing it on par with some private schools). So how do we make a good financial decision if we’re only given estimates for our MS1 year? Do we assume that any grant/scholarship money we receive stays the same every year and we just fill in the price increase with more loans? Dean Wofsy kept emphasizing that grants/scholarships are reserved mainly for need-based applicants and very limited (which makes me worry about year to year fluctuations, especially when I’ve already received some hefty grant/scholarship money from other comparable schools.)

How are some of you guys making decisions on which schools you can see yourself attending financially? I’ve never had to take out loans before so I don’t know how much leeway is too much. $20,000 more in loans? $40,000? $80,000???
IIRC from interview day that whatever grants we get would go up with any tuition increases, which is not to say they would go up from 2nd or 3rd year because most schools have increased tuitions for 3rd year but more like if they decide to raise tuition by 3% or whatever across the board our grants would go up with them

IIRC from interview day that whatever grants we get would go up with any tuition increases, which is not to say they would go up from 2nd or 3rd year because most schools have increased tuitions for 3rd year but more like if they decide to raise tuition by 3% or whatever across the board our grants would go up with them
Ok that makes sense. I probably should have paid more attention to all those financial aid speakers instead of nervous snacking and zoning out...

still kinda strange though that schools give us an "estimated grant/scholarship money for 2016-17" as if it might change during MS3/4 to account for the higher COA. Anyway let's hope UCSF digs deep deep into their pockets when they send out those award letters, lol

My impression was that any increases from the figures for COA years 1-4 would be met by the school. The total COA naturally increases during years 3 and 4 as you're spending more of the year in school. I believe grant/scholarship money might go up to account for increases from the previous year, but they do not go up substantially during years 3 and 4 to make it cost the same as years 1-2. (not sure if that's what you meant?)

Ok that makes sense. I probably should have paid more attention to all those financial aid speakers instead of nervous snacking and zoning out...

still kinda strange though that schools give us an "estimated grant/scholarship money for 2016-17" as if it might change during MS3/4 to account for the higher COA. Anyway let's hope UCSF digs deep deep into their pockets when they send out those award letters, lol

I believe they offer money primarily need-based. I would't expect as generous an offer that you might have gotten from comparable private schools. On interview day, I really admired their demonstrated commitment to making UCSF an affordable option for those that choose to attend. This may mean they cannot offer generous merit awards to the most attractive candidates but they recognize this and respect those applicants' decisions to follow their more generous awards elsewhere.

Well, I've been placed on the alternate list... This is really, really disappointing, I was hoping get good news from UCSF...

I'm guessing getting off the alternate list and being interviewed for PRIME is out of the question now, correct?

Alternate list. Historically it looks like there's a good deal of movement, and tbh, considering that I got an II so late in the cycle I was pretty much hoping for this. Stay strong; only one month til traffic day!

anyone know when white coat is this year?

I would guess around 8/5, since ours was the first Friday after orientation started, but since things are changing this year it may be different. :shrug: As a head's up, I don't think we got any concrete information on it until a month before school started at the earliest (exact timing/etc. was given about a week beforehand iirc).

Also on the topic of white coat, since this took some people by surprise this year - each person gets 2 tickets for guests, and there's a lottery you can apply for if you want to try to get a third. So if you invite more than 2/3 people, not everyone can see the ceremony itself.

I would guess around 8/5, since ours was the first Friday after orientation started, but since things are changing this year it may be different. :shrug: As a head's up, I don't think we got any concrete information on it until a month before school started at the earliest (exact timing/etc. was given about a week beforehand iirc).

Also on the topic of white coat, since this took some people by surprise this year - each person gets 2 tickets for guests, and there's a lottery you can apply for if you want to try to get a third. So if you invite more than 2/3 people, not everyone can see the ceremony itself.

whaa! That's disappointing; is there a large reception afterwards where the rest of the students' parties usually join them?

whaa! That's disappointing; is there a large reception afterwards where the rest of the students' parties usually join them?

There was a reception, but it's pretty crowded (we had 163 kids total in our class, including the JMP; assuming everyone just used their default 2 tickets, that's 489 people, and even a big building/courtyard can't make that not feel uncomfortable). I personally just went out to eat with my family afterward in celebration.

Very helpful. Thanks so much!

Hey everyone, I just heard back on the 29th, and I interviewed in the last interview date, March 1st. So not just Fridays!