2015-2016 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this super quick movement makes me wonder if they have a ranked waitlist theyre not telling us about. fingers crossed for more movement

Members don't see this ad.

Did any of you who heard back today write any sort of love letter to UCSF?
Nope! I was agonizing over whether I should write one over the past few days but I lucked out before I had to write one.

Accepted off waitlist yesterday!

This is a great honor, but I'm already preparing my moving plans to my chosen program... For those accepted off the waitlist last year, how fast were they able to provide you with a financial aid package?

Members don't see this ad :)
hypothetically, can students apply to both PRIME and JMP (if both programs are offered next year?)

also does UCLA have either type of program?

hypothetically, can students apply to both PRIME and JMP (if both programs are offered next year?)

also does UCLA have either type of program?
Yep, you can apply to any combination of MD/PRIME/JMP! And UCLA has PRIME, but not JMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off waitlist yesterday!

This is a great honor, but I'm already preparing my moving plans to my chosen program... For those accepted off the waitlist last year, how fast were they able to provide you with a financial aid package?

I was accepted before finaid packages initially went out, so I have no idea how long it'd take, unfortunately. I dunno if there are any other MS1s around who can answer your question (@drrrrspaceman?), so I'd recommend calling the financial aid office to see if they can give you an estimate on when you'd get that information.

Congratulations on your acceptance, though (and the same goes to everyone else accepted post-waitlist)!

To accepted students:: Is there any deposit that we have to pay? If so, how much and when is it due? Thanks.

To accepted students:: Is there any deposit that we have to pay? If so, how much and when is it due? Thanks.

No deposit - just accept the offer on your application portal, and that's all you need to do to hold your seat in the class.

Random question: I am accepted to a different school and am still waiting on UCSF (fingers crossed!). Would there be some kind of penalty if I accept the financial aid offered by the school I am currently accepted to, and then drop it for UCSF?

Random question: I am accepted to a different school and am still waiting on UCSF (fingers crossed!). Would there be some kind of penalty if I accept the financial aid offered by the school I am currently accepted to, and then drop it for UCSF?
Who would levy the penalty? No, no penalty

Members don't see this ad :)
For all the accepted folks from the waitlist, how long is UCSF giving you to make a decision? Just wondering if they need to wait for the first "wave" of accepted waitlist students to either accept or drop before extending more waitlist acceptances.

We were given one week to make the decision, but I was told by the Director of Admissions that those of us receiving multiple WL offers at once may ask for a short extension.

So, so far, it seems like all the regular MD acceptances from the wait list happened Tuesday afternoon/evening. Wonder if that's going to be the trend going forward: waves of acceptances? Also, does anyone know when the bulk of UCSF's wait list movement typically happens?

So, so far, it seems like all the regular MD acceptances from the wait list happened Tuesday afternoon/evening. Wonder if that's going to be the trend going forward: waves of acceptances? Also, does anyone know when the bulk of UCSF's wait list movement typically happens?

If I'm not mistaken, based on threads from last year or the year before, UCSF steadily sent out acceptance waves every Thursday or Friday. Not sure if that's what will happen this year, but I guess we'll find out next week.

You could be right! My interview invite and alternate list notification both came on a Tuesday evening...maybe a coincidence but we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

You could be right! My interview invite and alternate list notification both came on a Tuesday evening...maybe a coincidence but we'll see in the upcoming weeks.
Not a trend...I got my stuff on a Monday, Friday, and people have reported every other day of the week as well. Good investigative work though :p

Congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist! Super stoked for you guys! As for PRIME, I and a couple of others have heard back from PRIME so I think most of the results have been rolled out. I know when I last spoke to one of the directors she mentioned that they try to get out PRIME results by ASW in case PRIME acceptance affects prospective students' decisions in choosing UCSF. :)

Can any current students share what the 1st year schedule looks like under the new Bridges curriculum (or even the current curriculum, just to get an idea)? Day-to-day, I mean. For example, are classes mostly in the morning? Finished by the early afternoon like many other schools? Major commitments in the evenings? I know there must be a significant amount of variability throughout the year, but even a rough sketch would be useful.

Can any current students share what the 1st year schedule looks like under the new Bridges curriculum (or even the current curriculum, just to get an idea)? Day-to-day, I mean. For example, are classes mostly in the morning? Finished by the early afternoon like many other schools? Major commitments in the evenings? I know there must be a significant amount of variability throughout the year, but even a rough sketch would be useful.

Bridges doesn't start until next year, so we don't know. I could tell you about our curriculum (though the day to day varies widely even so), but how well that'd apply to your classes next year is unknown.

Are we to assume that there isn't going to be any significant waitlist movement anymore?

Waitlist still moving. About time I reported that I got off the waitlist last week and accepted the offer!! They are evaluating slowly but surely, idk how many spots given or anything like that though.

Keep the faith!!

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlist still moving. About time I reported that I got off the waitlist last week and accepted the offer!! They are evaluating slowly but surely, idk how many spots given or anything like that though.

Keep the faith!!

Congrats! Are you planning on matriculating?

Bridges doesn't start until next year, so we don't know. I could tell you about our curriculum (though the day to day varies widely even so), but how well that'd apply to your classes next year is unknown.

Perhaps at least a rough weekly class schedule? Surely there is some modicum of consistency in year one at least.

Perhaps at least a rough weekly class schedule? Surely there is some modicum of consistency in year one at least.

Like I said - it varies from day to day! Some days we run 8-12, some are 10-12, some I'm at school from 8:30-5...you get the picture. I mean, there are certainly some recurring things (small groups in the afternoon at the same time on a weekly basis, preceptorships at the same time), but the lecture and lab schedules are varied. Lectures tend to be in the mornings, but there have been afternoon lectures. All lectures save patient presentations are recorded, though, and labs aren't mandatory.

Any wait-list movement for anyone this week?
Pretty sure there is waitlist movement every week, as soon as the cohort from the previous week reply (deadline is 1 week). It's just the SDN sample size and anonymity concerns that results in low numbers seen on this thread.

Tearfully giving up my acceptance today to go somewhere else. The financial aid was the difference :cryi: Maybe San Francisco and I will happen in another life. One of you will get my spot. Godspeed!

Tearfully giving up my acceptance today to go somewhere else. The financial aid was the difference :cryi: Maybe San Francisco and I will happen in another life. One of you will get my spot. Godspeed!
das tight

Reactions: 2 users
This is my ABSOLUTE dream school, but I have heard a lot of you guys talking about financial aid/money reasons for not matriculating. Could any of you expand on that? Were you guys OOS or does the school not offer a lot in financial aid? Any advice would be appreciated!

This is my ABSOLUTE dream school, but I have heard a lot of you guys talking about financial aid/money reasons for not matriculating. Could any of you expand on that? Were you guys OOS or does the school not offer a lot in financial aid? Any advice would be appreciated!
I am and IMO the school does not offer a lot of aid. Since aid is all need-based, we naturally compare it to private schools that give need-based aid. Compared with a rich Ivy, UCSF aid is "bad." Compared with a typical private school or even state schools that offer ****ty all loans packages, UCSF is pretty damn good given that it's a public school. So it all depends what you're comparing it to. My UCSF need-based package was about half of what I got from the rich private schools.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah it just depends what you're comparing it to. UCSF gave me more money than every school I got into (including some top Ivies) except 1. The difference was significant but I ended up choosing UCSF anyway. Financial aid is extremely important but it's only one piece of the puzzle. I felt I'd perform better, enjoy my time more in SF, and would have an easier time matching in California (if I choose to stay). But if you can get to the point where you're choosing between UCSF and other top schools, then you've won either way.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like waitlist movement has slowed down a lot. Does anyone know when the last acceptance for ucsf was last cycle? When does ucsf's waitlist typically stop moving?

Reactions: 1 users
Need some input on tablet. Do students use mostly ipad or surface? If Surface, will it replace laptop?

Need some input on tablet. Do students use mostly ipad or surface? If Surface, will it replace laptop?

If you're getting a surface pro it definitely has enough computing power to replace your laptop but I would reccomend getting an external keyboard and monitor for when you just need to do stuff on a desk. If you get an ipad you'll definitely need a primary computer unless you do things super lite and can use a computer lab when you need it.

Would anyone that is a student here be willing to chat with me on the phone about the school? Please :)