2015-2016 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep in mind, it has only been 5 full business days since someone posted about an acceptance here.

It seems like applicants are given about 7 total days to make a decision at this point, so there could be another batch of a few acceptances some time soon. Or they could have all accepted their position and Pritzker is full. Who knows...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe the timing of the waitlist emails has to do with when we interviewed? Interviewed in October and received the waitlist email last week.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a wait list email today as well. Wording definitely made it seem like they didn't take all of the continued students and just wait listed them. Idk. Best of luck y'all!

WHAT. I thought that since I was "continued" and we passed the April 30th deadline and I had not heard about a status change that I had been rejected. Now I am waitlisted? I thought a school had to accept, waitlist, reject before the April 30th deadline?

WHAT. I thought that since I was "continued" and we passed the April 30th deadline and I had not heard about a status change that I had been rejected. Now I am waitlisted? I thought a school had to accept, waitlist, reject before the April 30th deadline?
No they don't. They have all the power.

Reactions: 1 user
"Waitlist movement has been minimal compared to previous years." They did say it is still difficult to forecast how it will move the next month.

There has been movement at Columbia, Yale, and Johns Hopkins, however, schools that compete with Pritzker for students. @phuynh94 withdrew yesterday, and I would say that's indicative of about a few more that we don't know about. We'll see if more calls go out this week. I myself have been dreaming about that ever elusive phone call...

Interviewed Jan, waitlist email last week.

Anyone have any updates whatsoever??

I asked whether they anticipated any waitlist movement. They told me that it was difficult to forecast, but it has been minimal thus far. Those schools I mentioned just started moving the end of this last week, so it could move at Pritzker soon.

@bararaboi I feel ya, me too. Did you call the office and they told you that "waitlist movement has been minimal compared to previous years"?

It sounds strange to hear that waitlist movement is still minimal when I've withdrawn, but I realized that Pritzker has that policy where they're okay with a 10% over enrollment (88 + 8 = 96) if it must come to taht, but they certainly prefer to stick with the original 88. At this point, even with a few others, I think they're waiting for the dust to settle before they make a few more calls in order to avoid a logistical nightmare. Keeping my finger crossed for all of you!!

@Compositae did mention that they were at 89 right before the deadline, so I'm sure they're hovering around that 88 mark. We'll see what happens.

This was the most difficult decision I have every made but I withdrew my acceptance today. Loved the school and I hope someone else gets lucky to attend this awesome institution! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone on the wait-list heard anything these past few weeks?

Has anyone on the wait-list heard anything these past few weeks?

Also wondering about this! It sounded like waitlist movement would happen after people mentioned withdrawing but it's been pretty quiet on here. Has anyone heard anything?

To those who ended up getting continued after the interview:

Was your personal impression of the interview positive? All of the stuff I saw about it was positive on SDN. Did anyone come out the interview feeling bad about it? Were there any mistakes that you thought you made or things you wish you would have improved on looking back at the interview?

Thanks for any help and good luck in med school! I am a 2017 applicant.

To those who ended up getting continued after the interview:

Was your personal impression of the interview positive? All of the stuff I saw about it was positive on SDN. Did anyone come out the interview feeling bad about it? Were there any mistakes that you thought you made or things you wish you would have improved on looking back at the interview?

Thanks for any help and good luck in med school! I am a 2017 applicant.

I think generally, most medical school interviews are very relaxed and conversational. If you've interviewed for a technical job and done a technical interview, you generally can walk out of that interview like you can walk out of a test with a general idea of where you screwed up or not. This isn't so much the case with med school interviews. Its really just a nice little chat with some people in admissions and you end up leaving thinking ehhhhh that went alright I suppose.

I think generally, most medical school interviews are very relaxed and conversational. If you've interviewed for a technical job and done a technical interview, you generally can walk out of that interview like you can walk out of a test with a general idea of where you screwed up or not. This isn't so much the case with med school interviews. Its really just a nice little chat with some people in admissions and you end up leaving thinking ehhhhh that went alright I suppose.
RT. Like there were only a handful of my interviews last season that I could identify as being particularly strong or particularly weak; most of them fell in the "eh" range.

Hi everyone, @Tots (rising 3rd year) and I (rising 2nd year) are current Pritzker students who will be in here to answer any of your questions as the upcoming cycle starts up. I'm excited to spread any knowledge and answer any questions that you may have!

The reputation of the undergrad school at U Chicago is where fun goes to die. Can anyone speak to the atmosphere at the medical school? What do people do in there free time? How do students interact? What are the students like? Type A personalities? Keep to them self? Would you describe the class as particularly social?
I know this can change but I am just trying to get an idea of the overall vibe?

The reputation of the undergrad school at U Chicago is where fun goes to die. Can anyone speak to the atmosphere at the medical school? What do people do in there free time? How do students interact? What are the students like? Type A personalities? Keep to them self? Would you describe the class as particularly social?
I know this can change but I am just trying to get an idea of the overall vibe?

Hey man, sorry for the late response.

So, yes UChicago as an undergrad is a pretty intense place. This is my fourth university and I've never seen a place with packed libraries on a random Tuesday at noon before here lol.

That being said, the medical school is way different mostly because we're pass/fail M1, M2, and M4. During those years people are super involved with extracurricular activities and spend a lot of time doing leisurely things. Personally, I would get together with classmates to play Halo (reliving the high school/college days) or go to the gym or to play basketball. I'm not much of a bar/club person, but there was definitely a contingency of people that were doing that. There's also a lot of cool events at UC, either for the general campus or through the grad school. I've gone to grad school socials and seen speakers from the Institute of Politics. I even took time during M1 to take a random elective on campus because I needed something other than medicine in my life academically. There are a lot of opportunities.

The students are friendly and welcoming. There are some who keep to themselves and there are certainly a few who are type A lol. But honestly we're a pretty chill group all things considered. I've recognized this with other classes too. I'm an M3 and I've loved all the M4s I've interacted with during rotations or the Pritzker alum who are doing their residencies here. They're all great people. I think that there's enough variety in personality types to find people you click with. I think that Pritzker looks for particular types of people so chances are if you get in that you won't be the only one like yourself in the class lol.