2015-2016 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Great Peds Hospital, adding to my long list. And no secondary essay unless you get an interview invite!! Wish more schools did this. Burning out just reading all the secondary essays from last year.

Great Peds Hospital, adding to my long list. And no secondary essay unless you get an interview invite!! Wish more schools did this. Burning out just reading all the secondary essays from last year.

Where'd you hear that about their secondary policy? Going through last year's thread I couldn't find that info anywhere. It seems like the secondary came out for everyone around the same time and was pretty easy for this school (yay!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Where'd you hear that about their secondary policy? Going through last year's thread I couldn't find that info anywhere. It seems like the secondary came out for everyone around the same time and was pretty easy for this school (yay!).
Going by brother's remarks (he applied 2 cycles ago). Maybe he got this mixed up with another school. They are all a blur after awhile.

EDIT: Here is quote from last year's thread, there is a followup question when you get an interview invite: "II!!! LizzyM 77, OOS. Also, I have a question guys about the new additional information essays they have us write. They ask about how you studied for the MCAT. How much detail did you guys put. I feel like I just want to say "I read books, I took practice exams, and then I took the exam."

Last edited:
I believe that's a supplement to the secondary application that we'll receive if we're extended an II. The secondary app that comes out around the first of July is still required before you could be considered for an II. There's a few other comments in that thread from people that state something along the lines of: "secondary submitted! Now just hoping for that II!"

And no doubt we'll both be in a blur soon enough as well. It looks like you and I are applying to many of the same schools.

I was accepted here for fall entry (not matriculating, but not relevant)- the short essay questions only go out after you receive an II.

I believe that's a supplement to the secondary application that we'll receive if we're extended an II. The secondary app that comes out around the first of July is still required before you could be considered for an II. There's a few other comments in that thread from people that state something along the lines of: "secondary submitted! Now just hoping for that II!"

And no doubt we'll both be in a blur soon enough as well. It looks like you and I are applying to many of the same schools.
Strap in for a long and brutal ride. My brother applied 2 years cycles ago and is finishing up M1. PRE WRITE those secondaries if possible. My brother's August was horrible, he didn't know about pre-writing. He wasn't complete until beginning of SEptember. Turned out fine in the end, but he didn't get some interviews until Dec/Jan. Long periods of silence, so keep really busy, create distractions after all your secondaries are submitted. Best of luck to you, it is a pretty random process!!

Zebra I think we are applying to literally all the same schools ;P

Zebra I think we are applying to literally all the same schools ;P
We'll be best buddies then, unless your stats are better than mine, then you are my mortal enemy which my sell swords will be bond to eliminate - - JK. ha ha ha

Must be a Midwesterner or Californian, as Midwest schools like the locals and those poor west coast folks who are demographically challenged at the CA state schools.
I'm thinking 24 is too many schools to apply to, but my parents say do it once, and only once. Too much randomness in the process to predict the outcome which we all learned 2 cycles ago with my brother.

Received the secondary this morning! They added two new essays questions this year.

1. Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below.
Your response to this question is limited to 750 characters.

2. Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped)? If yes, please explain below.
Your response to this question is limited to 1000 characters.

3. Have you been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below.

4. Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below.

5. If you are NOT currently enrolled in a degree granting program, click on the button below, and please briefly describe your major activities, not listed on AMCAS.

6. Briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If applicable, please include any personal connection that you have to the University of Cincinnati, our medical school, the Cincinnati area, or our academic health center. (1000 char)

7. Imagine a world in which illness and injury do not exist; all medical facilities and schools have closed because there is no longer a need for these services. What would you choose to do with your life in such a world? (1500 char)

@Ismet

Reactions: 8 users
Received the secondary this morning! They added two new essays questions this year.

1. Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (i,e. disciplined, probation, suspended, or dismissed) by any college, university, or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw? If yes, please explain fully below.

2. Have you ever participated in a pre-conviction program or been convicted of, pled guilty, or no contest to: a felony and/or criminal offense (include information even if charges have been dropped)? If yes, please explain below.

3. Have you been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations (moving violations include speeding tickets)? If yes, please explain fully below.

4. Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree? If yes, please explain below.

5. If you are NOT currently enrolled in a degree granting program, click on the button below, and please briefly describe your major activities, not listed on AMCAS.

6. Briefly describe why you wish to enroll at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. If applicable, please include any personal connection that you have to the University of Cincinnati, our medical school, the Cincinnati area, or our academic health center. (1000 char)

7. Imagine a world in which illness and injury do not exist; all medical facilities and schools have closed because there is no longer a need for these services. What would you choose to do with your life in such a world? (1500 char)

@Ismet
Thank you for sharing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't really understand medical schools' fixation on speeding tickets..

Don't really understand medical schools' fixation on speeding tickets..
I don't think it's about speeding. It's probably more to see if you'll be honest and report it, even though you think it might hurt your chances. I bet a lot of doctors have speeding tickets on their record...

NVM

Last edited:
Weird, I haven't gotten a secondary but my app was already reviewed and ready.

Does anyone know if it might have anything to do with applying Early Decision?

I'm early decision as well, verified 6/18, and haven't received one yet either.

I wonder if they even have a secondary for ED? Maybe its a completely different process

I wonder if they even have a secondary for ED? Maybe its a completely different process

I doubt it. If we get rejected from the ED process we go back into the regular application pool, so I'd imagine they'd still want a secondary from us.

I'll probably give them a call if I don't hear anything by the end of the week.

I doubt it. If we get rejected from the ED process we go back into the regular application pool, so I'd imagine they'd still want a secondary from us.

I'll probably give them a call if I don't hear anything by the end of the week.

You would think that we would hear back from them before the regular applicants... Guess not. Ill probably do the same

Anyone else having trouble with the portal? When I try to view it on my computer or phone it's all messed up and I can't click on anything. It only works on my tablet, but my tablet is super glitchy so I don't want to fill it out on the tablet.

Anyone else having trouble with the portal? When I try to view it on my computer or phone it's all messed up and I can't click on anything. It only works on my tablet, but my tablet is super glitchy so I don't want to fill it out on the tablet.
It opens fine for me in Firefox - may try that? or clear out your cookies/history?

Does UC screen? I submitted first day and still haven't received a secondary...

Not sure, but I am a reapplicant and last year I got a secondary almost immediately... This year I still haven't gotten one yet. I'd say just wait, I don't think you're alone.

Hey guys - I just called the admissions office today. No IT glitches or anything like that. Everyone gets a secondary application (no screening), and they are sent out automatically. They do know EDP candidates have a deadline and they're working on getting them sent out as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

@Ismet

Thank you for sharing! So weird that they took WVU's secondary question from last year!

The nutrition part of the curriculum seems interesting. I haven't seen that in any other school's curriculum (yet). Can any current students comment? Do you think it is interesting/useful?

I still haven't received a secondary...Is anyone else still in this boat?

Just got the secondary this afternoon.

IS still no secondary. Cincy y u do dis gimme plz

Just got the secondary earlier today as well. I guess it was bc I was verified jun29 (bottom of the batch)

No secondary here. I really like this school despite being OOS.

Finally got the secondary this morning at 6 AM. IS, verified early June

Can I just say: I love this school because their secondary is $25.

Reactions: 2 users
this is the first school I have seen that want you to explain if you got a SPEEDING TICKET. what?!? Not really sure what else to say other than "I got a speeding ticket." The good news is that I am from Illinois and got the ticket in Ohio, so there's my tie to the state.

Reactions: 3 users
this is the first school I have seen that want you to explain if you got a SPEEDING TICKET. what?!? Not really sure what else to say other than "I got a speeding ticket." The good news is that I am from Illinois and got the ticket in Ohio, so there's my tie to the state.
I assume you got the ticket on the Ohio Turnpike?? It is notorious for speed traps. Just explain where, and everyone will know what you are talking about. Think of it as a donation to the State of Ohio!!

yeah are they looking for thousands of applicants to say " i got a speeding ticket, it was a mistake, i'm more mature now..."

I applied last year and literally put, "I have a single speeding ticket from 2010"

They care about repetition of bad behavior, not about a mistake or two that nearly everyone makes.

"....I was on my way to Cincy. I just couldn't there fast enough. I really want to be here."