2015-2016 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can a Spartan become a Hawkeye?? We'll see. Go Big Ten!!

Also, can we just take a second and admire the beauty (at least its beautiful imo :p)
upload_2015-5-14_14-0-34.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Iowa is one of my top choices and I am really excited to apply and hopefully interview and matriculate here. That being said, I had a quick question about MD vs the MD/PhD program here.

I have around 350 hours of research completed through undergrad. No publications. However, I am currently taking a gap year (graduated a few weeks ago) and am planning on working in a lab at Iowa as a full time research intern for a year. My PI was on the admissions committee for the MD/PhD program and encouraged me to apply. However, my concern is that without any publications this may hinder my chances at getting accepted to Iowa for the MD only program. Will I be able to apply to both the MD and MD/PhD programs separately. Will my application be reviewed separately by each program? If I am rejected from the MD/PhD program will the MD program find out and does this affect my chances of getting into Iowa?

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this kind of question but I wanted an answer so I can update my AMCAS application.

Thank you!!

Hi everyone! Iowa is one of my top choices and I am really excited to apply and hopefully interview and matriculate here. That being said, I had a quick question about MD vs the MD/PhD program here.

I have around 350 hours of research completed through undergrad. No publications. However, I am currently taking a gap year (graduated a few weeks ago) and am planning on working in a lab at Iowa as a full time research intern for a year. My PI was on the admissions committee for the MD/PhD program and encouraged me to apply. However, my concern is that without any publications this may hinder my chances at getting accepted to Iowa for the MD only program. Will I be able to apply to both the MD and MD/PhD programs separately. Will my application be reviewed separately by each program? If I am rejected from the MD/PhD program will the MD program find out and does this affect my chances of getting into Iowa?

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this kind of question but I wanted an answer so I can update my AMCAS application.

Thank you!!
Are you from Iowa?

Thank you!!

There is no option to apply concurrently to both the MD and MD/PhD programs, however when you apply to the MD/PhD program you will have a response by November if you are accepted. The reviewers for the MD/PhD program will throw your application into the MD application pile as soon as they know whether or not they will offer you a position, so you do not loose out on too much time for rolling basis admissions.

Yes, I am.
The person above me summed it up well. Being from Iowa you're almost guaranteed an interview and good consideration for acceptance as long as your stats are decent and apply early, I wouldn't worry too much about your situation, if you don't get in md/phd, you'll still have a great shot at MD. A close friend did the md/phd route last year and the schools he wasn't accepted for md/phd, he received an md offer and told he could apply for phd program after year 1.

I'm applying so here's hoping they consider me. Good luck with your application.

Last edited:
Last year's secondary asked for a brief description of each of your clinical experiences. Any opinions on what brief means? Clearly pages and pages would not be viewed kindly, but is a paragraph for each experience okay, or is that too lengthy?

1-3 sentences basically summing up what I did, without delving any deeper beyond that.
I think a paragraph is fine unless it's a long one and to the point, and certainly if you talk about it in length in your primary app don't repeat yourself.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice. Trying not to repeat myself is certainly challenging because I already talked about all of these things in my work and activities section of the AMCAS. The other things I'm wondering about is how frowned upon it would be to go way under the character limit. I wrote about a paragraph for each, and I'm currently at around 1750 characters with a limit of 3000. If I tried to cut down on my descriptions, I'd almost certainly be around 600 or 700 characters, and I feel like that is really not appreciated when the character limit is 3000. I feel like the only time it is acceptable to use only 20% of the character limit is if you are responding to a question that is entirely inapplicable to you such as a student who hasn't done any study abroad responding to: "Please describe any study abroad experiences you have had." Am I way off base on this?

I don't think it will be a big issue, I think it has a larger character limit for the occasional people who have a ridiculous amount of clinical experience. Certainly I'm no adcom and cannot answer definitively. I personally will probably have about that amount of characters. It seems to me to be more of a quick reference and a way to address anything you left out of amcas.

But if you're at 1750, and have everything listed, it probably would be fine leaving as is.

So when they say "medically related experiences" do they mean research as well? Right now I've just listed and described my clinical experiences where I had interactions with and saw patients but not the research I did which played an indirect role as it was studying a drug in phase II cancer therapy trials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what kind of chances for a Wisconsin resident? My stats line up, but wasn't sure if being from the Midwest helped at all.

Does anyone know when the 2016 secondary opens?

They probably won't tell us when it is going to happen, we will just know when we receive it. For reference, last year it was released on July 16th.

Does anyone mind posting their stats and ECs? I am IS and am curious what must be done (gpa, mcat, ECs) for an IS acceptance.

People from previous years can post their stats and that may help you get a general idea of what some accepted students are like, but I would stay away from the notion of "what must be done for an IS acceptance." Seeing the median and 10th-90th percentiles for GPA and MCAT as well as some typical ECs might help you get the idea of whether you are competitive or not, but that's really as far as it goes. You can tell if you're competitive, but you can't tell if you will get in because there is simply no formula for certain GPA + certain MCAT score + certain ECs = acceptance letter.

Probably a better idea to comb through previous threads.. I realize there is no guaranteed equation, but given the MSAR data available, it seems gaining an IS acceptance to Iowa isn't as tough as applicants applying to state schools other than Iowa. I'm not sure if this is true or not, just thinking out loud I guess.

Yes, most public schools have a preference for IS applicants. Iowa definitely does. Combing through previous threads could be useful. Basically, if you look at the MSAR and your stats are within range and you're IS, you have a decent shot. Work hard on your application and give it your best shot. Nobody can tell you what your exact chances are, but if your stats are near or above their medians, you have a decent shot

Pre-secondary e-mail! Stop giving me heartburn.

Yeah, I got the "we have received your application" email this morning.

"Applications to the Carver College of Medicine are screened before a Secondary Application is sent. I am writing to let you know that our screening process will begin in in the next few weeks. You will be notified by e-mail regarding a secondary application."

That was the first email I had gotten today, and I got all excited.

Just received the secondary! But they didn't provide a password in the email and only said this:

"Your password is unknown - please contact Admissions. You will be asked to create a new password upon initial login."

I got in.

1. You may prefer to work on your responses in a text editor and then paste them into the response boxes when you are ready to submit. Do not use special formatting such as underlining, bold, or italics. For security reasons, if you use a less-than character (<) it must be followed by a space character.
  2. Do not exceed the maximum character limit of 1500 (including spaces) for questions 1, 2, 4 and 5. Question 3 has a limit of 3000 characters.
  3. Proofread carefully. You can save this form and return to review your submissions. No changes may be made after submitting this form.
  4. Save each question as you complete it.

Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.

Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.

Question 3: Provide a numbered list and very brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer), including total hours, in which you have participated over the past 5 years.

Please answer the following if applicable to you:
Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?

Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in too. They sent me a password. You should just follow the directions they gave you--contact admissions.

+1 secondary!

Haha, the home page starts out with "Good Afternoon [your name]." That's very cute.

Gave me a password but it doesn't work. Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow, sure I'm not the only one though.

I'm just curious but does anyone know whether the screening is based on stats (grades, GPA, MCAT) or if they actually do a review of your AMCAS app first?

I'm just curious but does anyone know whether the screening is based on stats (grades, GPA, MCAT) or if they actually do a review of your AMCAS app first?

I can't seem to find the source anymore, but from my spreadsheet of the schools I'm applying to, I have here that Iowa gives secondaries to everyone that has >3.0 GPA and above an 8 on each section of the MCAT.

EDIT: Found it. From the MSAR: "Applicants are screened for minimum GPA (3.0) and minimum MCAT scores depending on residency (Residents: VR-6, BS/PS-7; Nonresidents: VR-6; BS/PS- 8)."

Reactions: 2 users
Received secondary and submitted! Hopefully this IS applicant can get an interview slot!!!

Just received the secondary! But they didn't provide a password in the email and only said this:

"Your password is unknown - please contact Admissions. You will be asked to create a new password upon initial login."

I had the same thing happen but then a couple hours after I received the first email, I received a second email that was exactly the same except the second one gave me a password where it had previously said unknown.

I received the secondary this afternoon, and it had a password in it.

I am working on the secondary, and I'm a little unsure of what to do about the question about having a parent that currently resides in Iowa. Both of my parents reside in the same home in Iowa. I listed both of their names (as in "first name and first name last name") on the name line, and then filled in the address, city, and zip code lines. Do y'all think that's okay?

Their explanation of the curriculum with the three strands and the helix is pretty confusing

Three strands:
Clinical and professional skills - where you learn physical exam, patient interview, and evidence based stuff

Medicine and society - public health type courses, courses on health disparities etc

Foundations/Mechanisms of health and disease - this is where all of the science courses are. Foundations will have your basic sciences (biochem, cell bio, etc.). Mechanisms of health and disease is basically systems based physiology.

The helix is supposed to represent interconnectedness and tiebacks of the courses. For example G6PD deficiency may be mentioned during biochem, then again with more info during genetics, then again when you go through liver normal physio, then again when you do abnormal. Each time you get more information about a topic. Another example would be learning the neuro physical exam in CAPS the same time you are going through neuro in anatomy, and then how neuro comes up again when you do neuroscience.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Three strands:
Clinical and professional skills - where you learn physical exam, patient interview, and evidence based stuff

Medicine and society - public health type courses, courses on health disparities etc

Foundations/Mechanisms of health and disease - this is where all of the science courses are. Foundations will have your basic sciences (biochem, cell bio, etc.). Mechanisms of health and disease is basically systems based physiology.

The helix is supposed to represent interconnectedness and tiebacks of the courses. For example G6PD deficiency may be mentioned during biochem, then again with more info during genetics, then again when you go through liver normal physio, then again when you do abnormal. Each time you get more information about a topic. Another example would be learning the neuro physical exam in CAPS the same time you are going through neuro in anatomy, and then how neuro comes up again when you do neuroscience.

Hopefully that clears things up.
I guess it may make more sense once I look into it deeper or become immersed in it, but on the surface it just seems pretty convoluted. I'm sure it makes more sense when you are involved in it, though.

I can't seem to find the source anymore, but from my spreadsheet of the schools I'm applying to, I have here that Iowa gives secondaries to everyone that has >3.0 GPA and above an 8 on each section of the MCAT.

EDIT: Found it. From the MSAR: "Applicants are screened for minimum GPA (3.0) and minimum MCAT scores depending on residency (Residents: VR-6, BS/PS-7; Nonresidents: VR-6; BS/PS- 8)."
What Section can you find this under for the MSAR?

I just submitted my secondary, only to realize I wrote "Carver Medical School" instead of "Carver College of Medicine" in a couple of my essays. Will this hurt my application?