2015-2016 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only giving Minnesota love? Waiting for a secondary... Selected Twin Cities today. Anyone get a 2nd email yet?

I'm applying here too. Also selected Twin Cities, but no second email/secondary from them yet :(

Edit: Oops meant to edit this post, but added another message by accident.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the difference between Twin Cities and Duluth?

Reactions: 1 user
Duluth is for people interested in working with Native American populations/rural areas. Twin cities is a traditional MD program.

Same here, but they do actually screen the initial apps so I'm not expecting to get it immediately.

I am applying here too.

I went to the UMN (Twin Cities) for undergrad and got a little insight from a member of the AdCom. They screen to make sure the applicant's MCAT is at least 24, though, I do not know what else they look for initially. She also told me that they expedite the screening process for Minnesota residents, so don't be concerned if you don't get your secondary immediately.

So I am dropping this rather extensive post to hopefully help all those applying this year and address any questions along the way. I applied last year and will be matriculating here in August. The whole process seems full of uncertainty and having a general idea of the timeline of things should calm some nerves.

My timeline for U of MN-Twin Cities:
· School Selection Email: 6/30
· Confirmation of Primary Received: 7/15(primary was verified on 7/9)
· Secondary Released: 7/21 (this appeared to be the first secondary release)
· Completed Secondary: 7/23
· Interview Invite: 8/1
· Interview: 8/22
· Call of Acceptance: 10/15
· Financial Aid Estimate: Late March via US mail

Secondary

An important part of your application. They send these out in waves. Questions were mostly the same from previous years with one or two being worded differently than the year before.

2014-2015 Secondary Prompts

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, please discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. (1500 characters)

2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. (1500 characters)

3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 characters)

4. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota? (300 characters)

5. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. (1200 characters)

6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? (1200 characters)

7. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (300 characters)

8a. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
8b. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

9. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine? Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school. (900 characters)

10. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? (900 characters)

11. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee? (900 characters)

Interview Invitation:

Told by Dean of Admissions that to receive an interview your application is first looked at by two people on the admissions committee. Those two people give your application a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down”. Two “thumbs up” gets you an interview. Two “thumbs down” gets a rejection. One of each has your application sent to a third member who breaks the tie.

Interview:

· Format: Two 45 minute one-on-one interviews(either a medical student, physician or faculty)

Questions are fairly straight forward and the interview is more conversational. It is somewhat dependent on your interviewer, but both of mine seemed to follow a general rubric. Both asked about experiences working with diverse populations which seemed to be important to the U of MN. Interviewers have access to everything except letters of recommendation, MCAT scores and GPA.

Post-Interview Decisions

In the early part of the cycle decisions will typically take 6-8 weeks. As the cycle progresses and the files start to stack up they appear to lag behind and take longer to reach a decision.

Waitlist

Minnesota appears to waitlist rather than reject after an interview. This results in a rather large waitlist(around 200) that does not get extensively pulled from. At the end of June, ranked applicant #13 was now #1 on the waitlist.

Best of luck this cycle!!

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks kevinsword91 for taking the time to write the above post. It is super helpful

I would be lying if I said Golden Gopher football wasn't one of my more considerable motivations when choosing to apply here.

I applied to both Duluth and TC campuses. It seems like no one else has gotten TC secondaries yet (including myself) but the Duluth secondary was the first one I had received. I got an email saying I was denied--in other words, I don't get an interview.

I am a ND resident, so that had something to do with it. However, I have family that live in rural MN. Otherwise,

4.0 cumulative GPA, double major & double minor in four years
74% MCAT
2000+ hours of research
2000 hours of working and operating a farm
490 hours volunteering with Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society
350 hours observing and volunteering with Internal Medicine and family practice PA in rural Nodak
3 weeks volunteering at a summer camp for pediatric cancer patients
~200 hours in various other volunteering experiences including coaching basketball and volunteering with my church

Haven't heard back from the adcom about what turned them off, assuming it's because they thought I don't fit their school goals of rural family practice, although I never said that at any point I didn't want to.

Hopefully U of M TC still shows me (and everyone else) some love.

I suspect, Micro, that your research hours push you more toward TC rather than Duluth. Duluth is RFP, RFP, RFP. The farm operation should have helped you but I still think it was the heavy research and the GPA ... you'd be an outlier in the composite class for Duluth; but a fit for TC.

All imo, obviously. And worth what you paid for it ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Twin City secondary received @ 3:34 pm CST.

Reactions: 1 users
*sigh* *opens email tab to frantically refresh*

I'm currently an employee at UMN TC so maybe that has something to do with it? Also, if you're not a student here, be warned: the email system can royally suck sometimes so it could be somewhere in a queue.

I have received strange time delayed duplicates of their standard emails twice already in the last two weeks, so a wonky email system would explain that I guess. I'd wondered.

I suspect, Micro, that your research hours push you more toward TC rather than Duluth. Duluth is RFP, RFP, RFP. The farm operation should have helped you but I still think it was the heavy research and the GPA ... you'd be an outlier in the composite class for Duluth; but a fit for TC.

All imo, obviously. And worth what you paid for it ;)

That's what I had suspected as well. I was trying to find statistics of the demographics that end up at Duluth but couldn't find any for that campus specifically (including on MSAR and their web pages). Duluth wasn't high up on my list--although I respect the school--it was just a little sad to get my first rejection. Feels like prom season all over again

Don't look at Duluth as a rejection but as a gentle push to where you really will belong :)

Still haven't gone a secondary but I meet the min requirements so maybe next week?

Anybody else look at this years secondary?

Character limits have changed drastically, example:

6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? (1200 characters [now 300 characters])
Uhhhh well I haven't received it yet but if you have and the limits have changed, would you mind sharing all of them by any chance?

Anybody else look at this years secondary?

Character limits have changed drastically, example:

6. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year? (1200 characters [now 300 characters])
That looks like a typo to me O.O

UMN - Duluth Secondary:
All character limits = 800

*1. In what ways do you fit the goals of this school?

*2. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community?

*3. What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice?

*4. How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine?

*5. How have your volunteer experiences influenced your life goals?

*6. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.

*7. Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution.

*8. Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.

*9. What does lifelong learning mean to you?

*10. What are your recreational and leisure activities?

*11. Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?

*12. Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.

*13. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.

14. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?

15. Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? * Yes No

16. If yes, please explain.

17. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation?* Yes No

18. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?* Yes No

19. If the answer is yes to either question, please explain.

20. Do you consider yourself a resident of the State of Minnesota?* Yes No

21. If yes, how long have you been a resident of Minnesota?

22. Describe your ties to the state of Minnesota.

Then, enter all prerequisite coursework and letter information, before certifying, signing, and paying.

This is a fun one to start off the season with, eh?

Rejected by Duluth this morning. Still waiting for a secondary from Twin Cities.

My first rejection! Can't believe it's so early :(

Stats:
cGPA3.95, sGPA3.75
BS in Biology with a minor in Music
Master's in Education
MCAT P14/B11/V8
good research/volunteering/shadowing, good EC

Last edited:
Rejected by Duluth this morning. Still waiting for a secondary from Twin Cities.

Stats:
cGPA3.95, sGPA3.75
Master's in Education
MCAT P14/B11/V8

I am in the same situation. 4.0 cGPA but with a lower MCAT. Got denied from Duluth as well. Don't worry about it :) they are looking for a specific type of person, with your stats and your background I think you will have great chances at other schools

Stats:
cGPA3.95, sGPA3.75
Master's in Education
MCAT P14/B11/V8

GingerOrange, are you an instate applicant?

Just got my Twin cities secondary invite. OOS

I also just got a Twin Cities secondary invite, OOS

AMCAS verified 7/16, received an email from Minnesota 7/20 saying that they got my application and will do their initial screening, and just got the secondary email this morning and am encouraged to submit it within 2 weeks.

I got
AMCAS verified 7/16, received an email from Minnesota 7/20 saying that they got my application and will do their initial screening, and just got the secondary email this morning and am encouraged to submit it within 2 weeks.
Verified 7/16 too and got the email on 7/20 as well... Hopefully I'll get the secondary soon.

Verified 7/16 too and got the email on 7/20 as well... Hopefully I'll get the secondary soon.

Yeah hopefully you get it soon but the email on 7/20 did say it can take a few weeks and to be patient haha, I guess for now prewrite the secondaries so that they're all ready

Verified 7/10 but still no secondary from Twin Cities...

I am in the same situation. 4.0 cGPA but with a lower MCAT. Got denied from Duluth as well. Don't worry about it :) they are looking for a specific type of person, with your stats and your background I think you will have great chances at other schools

Thank you Micro! Well done on the 4.0 cGPA :)

GingerOrange, are you an instate applicant?

I am an OOS. That'll explain a lot.

My invitation for stat sharing is extended to anyone who has received a secondary ;)

In state. Employee of UMN. 39/ 3.87 uGPA / 3.89 sGPA / PhD in organic chem. (I'm never leaving academia!!!!)

My invitation for stat sharing is extended to anyone who has received a secondary ;)
OOS URM. 34, 3.83 overall, 3.84 science, average/below average ECs (I'm about 68% confident that I'm within a standard deviation of the average amount of ECs though)

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

That looks like a typo to me

UPenn's limit is 500 characters, and that's already quite short. I sure hope it's a typo.

Hey guys since there are a couple of you still waiting for a secondary from Twin Cities I'll put up the prompts because some of them changed/were added/taken away from previous years.

Your responses to these questions will provide detailed information to the Admissions Committee as they look to understand you as a medical school applicant. Your responses should include reasoned descriptions of meaningful life experiences and challenges, unique qualities, skills, accomplishments, problems or successes. Please do not restate, or simply refer to your AMCAS essay. Also, your answers should not be a litany of activities. Reflect on specific experiences, what you learned from them, and how they may have changed you. Your responses must be limited to the word counts indicated. You must provide a response to each question before you're allowed to finalize and submit this application. Once you finalize and submit your application, you will not be able to edit your responses to these questions.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments and the Experience section, please describe your medically related experience(s) and how they have contributed to your understanding of medicine and your motivation to pursue this career?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1500)

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it.

*3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

*4. We invite you to share information about important aspects of your personal background and identity as they relate to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, information about your culture, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 900)

*5. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300, I don't know why you'd need more than 3 characters though...)

*6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*7. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year?

*8. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

9. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?*

10. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.
0 characters (min: 0, max: 1200)

*11. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine?

*12. Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school.

*13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

*14. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys since there are a couple of you still waiting for a secondary from Twin Cities I'll put up the prompts because some of them changed/were added/taken away from previous years.

Your responses to these questions will provide detailed information to the Admissions Committee as they look to understand you as a medical school applicant. Your responses should include reasoned descriptions of meaningful life experiences and challenges, unique qualities, skills, accomplishments, problems or successes. Please do not restate, or simply refer to your AMCAS essay. Also, your answers should not be a litany of activities. Reflect on specific experiences, what you learned from them, and how they may have changed you. Your responses must be limited to the word counts indicated. You must provide a response to each question before you're allowed to finalize and submit this application. Once you finalize and submit your application, you will not be able to edit your responses to these questions.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments and the Experience section, please describe your medically related experience(s) and how they have contributed to your understanding of medicine and your motivation to pursue this career?

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it.

*3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

*4. We invite you to share information about important aspects of your personal background and identity as they relate to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, information about your culture, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.

*5. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300, I don't know why you'd need more than 3 characters though...)

*6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.

*7. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year?

*8. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

9. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?*

10. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.
0 characters (min: 0, max: 1200)
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

Verified 7/8
received secondary 7/23
Second time applying, got alternate listed in 2013