2015-2016 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't UNC-Chapel Hill favor NC residents? Or am I wrong….

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, when schools look at your GPA from AMCAS, do they look at the whole thing (calculated with all college grades as well as any college credit earned in high school) or just your time at your undergrad institution? I know AMCAS calculations include all college credit.

How does UNC-Chapel Hill view SMP GPA? Post-bacc? Is research experience a must on your application to have a shot at admission at this school? Volunteering? By the time I apply to UNC I will have six years of full time experience working as a Histotechnologist (the last two in a leading capacity), and two to three years as a Medical Technologist (at UNC's Hospital System) hence why I worried about my lack of research experience. Has anyone applying or currently attending UNC completed their MED program for disadvantaged students? It's a 9-week intensive program for disadvantaged students economically, educationally, and/or socially (or a URM) wanting to demonstrate their fitness for medical and dental school.

Last edited:
I went to middle school, high school, and to college in North Carolina, but am now technically an OOS applicant because my family moved a couple years back.

How would they view my app? Is there any way to let them know of my strong ties to the state? NC has been my home for over half my life, I'd love to go to this school.

My GPA is on the lower side, which worries me if there is a pre-secondary screen.

I went to middle school, high school, and to college in North Carolina, but am now technically an OOS applicant because my family moved a couple years back.

How would they view my app? Is there any way to let them know of my strong ties to the state? NC has been my home for over half my life, I'd love to go to this school.

My GPA is on the lower side, which worries me if there is a pre-secondary screen.

I know there's a page in the AMCAS app where you describe where you lived for the majority of your childhood (before age 18), so if that's in NC for you, then that will give them a clue as to your state ties. If you can't show it that way on your primary app I'd maybe call admissions and ask them how they would view your situation? They'd consider you an OOS applicant but I can't imagine that letting them know about state ties would hurt anything (especially since they do have a pretty heavy pre-secondary screen).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Update email from UNC - looks like it took about 2 weeks for them to send secondaries out last year, I think. It looks like the email was actually sent from an admissions officer - is anyone thinking about answering the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 update email.

@arianna_n what would we say if we wanted to answer the email? I didn't think about that until you mentioned it.

Update email from UNC - looks like it took about 2 weeks for them to send secondaries out last year, I think. It looks like the email was actually sent from an admissions officer - is anyone thinking about answering the email?
I'm a bit confused. Ms. Reid is telling us to wait until we receive supplemental applications, so there should be no reason to respond to her email?

Yes, I know - I was just thinking about saying something along the lines of "thanks, look forward to hearing from you, but in hindsight, that's probably silly.

I also received an update email today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a secondary!

Does anyone know if they send the same initial email to everyone? Mine just says I'll receive info on supplementary materials soon. All of the other schools that sent similar emails specifically mentioned that they will be making a decision soon on whether to send a secondary invite. The UNC email doesn't mention anything about a decision, but I don't want to read too much into it and get my hopes up.

Does anyone know if they send the same initial email to everyone? Mine just says I'll receive info on supplementary materials soon. All of the other schools that sent similar emails specifically mentioned that they will be making a decision soon on whether to send a secondary invite. The UNC email doesn't mention anything about a decision, but I don't want to read too much into it and get my hopes up.
I got the same e-mail. I'm a reapplicant (had to bring up my MCAT score) and the initial e-mail I relieved from Chapel Hill last cycle was a lot lengthier/ was similar to the emails that others schools are mentioning about needing to make a decision on whether to send a secondary invite. Maybe when they say that we will receive information on supplementary materials soon they are essentially implying the same thing as the other schools i.e. we will or will not receive it..? I was starting to read too much into that email too so you are not alone!

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing about the email. It seemed very brief, but the optimistic side of me read that we would be getting a secondary. Who knows, I guess.

I wondered the same thing about the email. It seemed very brief, but the optimistic side of me read that we would be getting a secondary. Who knows, I guess.
I hope your optimistic side is correct :)

Anybody know when we will start to receive secondaries from UNC? In state here

Anybody know when we will start to receive secondaries from UNC? In state here
According to last years forum they went out the 22nd/23rd of July. It seems like a few people from OOS received their secondaries on the 22nd and someone IS received a secondary on the 23rd. Last year it also looks like the first secondaries went out to reapplicants sometime mid-September. I'm a reapplicant and last year I received my initial we have received your primary e-mail June 11th and this year I got that e-mail on the 3rd so maybe we will hear about secondaries/ IIs earlier this cycle? Wishful thinking probably on my part :)

Hey guys. I'm an instate applicant for UNC. I called Ms. Reid yesterday after freaking out about my June prelim scores b/c I bombed one section (CARS 39-54). Anyways, I talked with Ms. Joni and Ms. Reid and they told me that this year all instate will be getting secondaries. Interview invitations will go out starting August 31st. Not really sure when secondaries will be sent out (I still haven't submitted my primary b/c I'm considering retaking it in July).

Also, for those of you trying to retake it in July, Ms Joni (the receptionist) told me that even applying late as mid august will not decrease your chances of getting an interview invitation. This is strictly for Instate. Don't really know anything about OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope your optimistic side is correct :)

I just emailed Ms. Reid asking (very discreetly) if receiving that email means we get a secondary app. I'll keep y'all updated.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I'm an instate applicant for UNC. I called Ms. Reid yesterday after freaking out about my June prelim scores b/c I bombed one section (CARS 39-54). Anyways, I talked with Ms. Joni and Ms. Reid and they told me that this year all instate will be getting secondaries. Interview invitations will go out starting August 31st. Not really sure when secondaries will be sent out (I still haven't submitted my primary b/c I'm considering retaking it in July).

Also, for those of you trying to retake it in July, Ms Joni (the receptionist) told me that even applying late as mid august will not decrease your chances of getting an interview invitation. This is strictly for Instate. Don't really know anything about OOS.
I think it was the case in past years that most IS who got a secondary would eventually get an interview. I don't know about this year though, since you mentioned all IS will be getting secondaries.

Emailed recently (as an OOS) and it sounded like everyone who applies regardless of IS or OOS is gonna get a secondary

I just emailed Ms. Reid asking (very discreetly) if receiving that email means we get a secondary app. I'll keep y'all updated.
I appreciate it! UNC is by far my #1 choice. I'd be ecstatic to be offered a secondary and a II!

Emailed recently (as an OOS) and it sounded like everyone who applies regardless of IS or OOS is gonna get a secondary
That's interesting. I thought UNC has screened in the past.

http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/general-info/admissions-process

"We have made changes to our admissions process in order to comply with a mandate from the North Carolina General Administration. From this point forward all applicants who apply to UNC School of Medicine must complete a supplemental application in addition to a military survey."

Reactions: 3 users

Well this answers my question about Chapel Hill's feelings toward application enhancing SMP and post-baccalaureate programs:

If your GPAs are significantly below our average, which is 3.55 for the science GPA, and 3.62 for the non-science, we strongly recommend that you consider a post baccalaureate or science graduate program, and take at least 30 credit hours or more, which gives you the opportunity to show an improvement in your academic ability. It is also important that you have the post baccalaureate or graduate work completed
before applying, as this will enable us to consider and evaluate your success in the program.

Thank you MolonLabe16 for providing the link!

So it's my understanding that UNC favors clinical experience and especially community work. I only have limited experience in those area, but I was hoping that since UNC is a heavy research institution, I could really hone in on how research experience can translate into success in clinical work. This is just my assumption and I could totally be wrong b/c I did get mixed responses from people I asked.

Once you get an interview, your GPA and MCAT matter very little. From that point forward, it's your clinical experiences, ECs and how well they perceived you during your interview.

Any word on this? Precciate it!
Apparently they are sending secondaries to everyone this year.

Molonlabe16 posted a link for this a couple posts back if you want to read it. It has some good info on what's different with the admissions process this year!

Last edited:
Question when they ask if I am a re-applicant do they mean to their school or in general?

Do you guys think it would be acceptable to answer question #3 (
Give an example of how you made a difference in someone's life-whether it is a patient, friend, classmate, or a family member-and explain what this experience taught you about yourself.) from something in high school or should it be strictly limited to college?
I prewrote my secondary for UNC Chapel Hill (no secondary yet) and I wrote about something from high school. I dunno if it's frowned upon or not. I'm hoping it is fine!

I prewrote my secondary for UNC Chapel Hill (no secondary yet) and I wrote about something from high school. I dunno if it's frowned upon or not. I'm hoping it is fine!
I honestly think they're looking for anything at any time. As long as you made a difference and that experience stuck with you. I know they really value life-long commitment to helping people.

I honestly think they're looking for anything at any time. As long as you made a difference and that experience stuck with you. I know they really value life-long commitment to helping people.
That is exactly what I was thinking when I answered the secondary questions :)

Does anyone know if everyone IS and OOS all get secondaries?

Is anyone else finding it really difficult to answer these questions with only 999 characters?? It doesn't seem like enough

Congrats to those that got secondaries! To those that just received, y'all IS or OOS? just curious

OOS.

I'm going to have to call their office. I've gotten suspended a time or two in high school (~10 years ago) for non-academic issues, and I think it's ridiculous that I need an official statement from the school to corroborate it.