2015-2016 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it is April 1st could someone verify? Congrats to everyone who got in this week!
From what I've seen on previous year's threads, it looks like the first week of April. I would guess the 1st or 4th this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the most frustrating process that I have ever been a part of. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful that I was even invited to interview but seriously... interviewed Sept. 23rd. PLEASE just give me a decision already.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the most frustrating process that I have ever been a part of. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful that I was even invited to interview but seriously... interviewed Sept. 23rd. PLEASE just give me a decision already.

I hear ya done this process 3 times now doesnt get any better :\

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah what is it about NC schools and no decisions? I interviewed at ECU on September 8 and still nothing

I got the call today! Words really can't describe. I had lost all hope. In fact when I got a call from an NC number I didn't even pick it up. Got an alert hours later with a voicemail from Dr. Woodard. Needless to say unc was my top choice. Still hasn't really sunk in yet but maybe I just need to sleep on it. Interviewed back in Novemeber.

To all you guys waiting, this is for you. This is my fourth time applying. Never give up. Never settle.

Reactions: 17 users
I got the call today! Words really can't describe. I had lost all hope. In fact when I got a call from an NC number I didn't even pick it up. Got an alert hours later with a voicemail from Dr. Woodard. Needless to say unc was my top choice. Still hasn't really sunk in yet but maybe I just need to sleep on it. Interviewed back in Novemeber.

To all you guys waiting, this is for you. This is my fourth time applying. Never give up. Never settle.

I feel SO happy for you! thank you for sharing your story of resilience and never giving up!

I got the call today as well (and like you, UNC is my top choice). It hasn't sunk in at all......it's 2 AM and my brain is wide awake (with zero caffeine all day today!) in excitement and utter disbelief (mostly knowing that the wait of constantly checking voicemail, this thread, emails and everything in between..all that is finally over hehe jk). Ahhh!!

i know how painful this long wait is, so if u r still waiting, I sincerely hope u get very good news soon!

Reactions: 7 users
I feel SO happy for you! thank you for sharing your story of resilience and never giving up!

I got the call today as well (and like you, UNC is my top choice). It hasn't sunk in at all......it's 2 AM and my brain is wide awake (with zero caffeine all day today!) in excitement and utter disbelief (mostly knowing that the wait of constantly checking voicemail, this thread, emails and everything in between..all that is finally over hehe jk). Ahhh!!

i know how painful this long wait is, so if u r still waiting, I sincerely hope u get very good news soon!

Congrats! Do you mind me asking when you interviewed?

I don't even know you but I am so proud of you and happy for you. Congratulations!!

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've seen on previous year's threads, it looks like the first week of April. I would guess the 1st or 4th this year.

When you were reviewing last year's thread, did you see if any people were accepted at the first week in April time-point?

Also, it'll probably be 4/1 (fitting, eh? April fools.) around 5pm when they send the notifications so we'll have all weekend to sulk before calling the admissions office.

When you were reviewing last year's thread, did you see if any people were accepted at the first week in April time-point?

Also, it'll probably be 4/1 (fitting, eh? April fools.) around 5pm when they send the notifications so we'll have all weekend to sulk before calling the admissions office.
Last year, I saw one accepted April 2nd/3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides the Dr. Bashford question, has anyone who interviewed in February/March been accepted? If yes, when did you find out? Much Thanks.

Besides the Dr. Bashford question, has anyone who interviewed in February/March been accepted? If yes, when did you find out? Much Thanks.

I interviewed second week in Feb and was accepted on 3/14.

After spending the day at work reading the last 3 year's threads, its amazing to think some students waited a full 8-9 months from mid-October interviews to acceptances off Carolina's waitlist in June and July!! the calendar at my desk on Monday showed a big "+21 weeks".......certainly fuels fire to the age-old question of whether it is harder to get into medical school or get through the 4 years once accepted...

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone who has had Dr. Bashford received a call from him/been accepted?

Yes. I interviewed with him in early February and ~2 weeks later received a call from Ms. James to call Dr. Bashford for my acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a long shot, but has anyone that interviewed with Brice after Jan 6th been accepted yet?

On March 9, there were 125 people on the UNC SOM 2020 Facebook page. Today (after second look) there are 165.

Long time lurker, first time author...

Is anyone else super-depressed? What's going to happen now? I feel like a lost child

Reactions: 4 users
Long time lurker, first time author...

Is anyone else super-depressed? What's going to happen now? I feel like a lost child

Dont lose hope still at least 30-40 more offers still up for grabs! I think there will be some more activity around April 1st based on previous comments/threads

Ehhh, I am contingency planning. If I get a surprise then YAY but at this point there are fewer guarantees than ever and I need to be prepared in that likely event.

Reactions: 2 users
Ehhh, I am contingency planning. If I get a surprise then YAY but at this point there are fewer guarantees than ever and I need to be prepared in that likely event.

Always a good idea with anything for that matter

On March 9, there were 125 people on the UNC SOM 2020 Facebook page. Today (after second look) there are 165.

Hey All,
This is my first time posting. My best friend went to second look yesterday and found out that ALL of UNC's slots have been filled and no more acceptances will be given out as they are waiting now to compile a waitlist. This seems to be contradictory to previous threads as I've seen acceptances up through the beginning of April as others have mentioned, too, but this is coming from a very reliable source, so just wanted to share. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey All,
This is my first time posting. My best friend went to second look yesterday and found out that ALL of UNC's slots have been filled and no more acceptances will be given out as they are waiting now to compile a waitlist. This seems to be contradictory to previous threads as I've seen acceptances up through the beginning of April as others have mentioned, too, but this is coming from a very reliable source, so just wanted to share. Good luck to everyone!

For some reason I have a hard time believing this :\

It's a fact. Straight from our Admissions Dean on Saturday. Don't give up hope though!

Is this what hope looks like,

180 applicants have been accepted.
No more direct acceptances
During first week in April, applicants will be denied and a fortunate few (around 30 based on past years) will be waitlisted?
Maybe a few of those 30 will get off the waitlist?

Hey All,
My roommate also went to second look yesterday and this is true!
To MarchMadnessGoHeelz, I totally understand the struggle of having a best friend/roommate get in while we didn't.

My roommate also went to second look yesterday and this is true!
To MarchMadnessGoHeelz, I totally understand the struggle of having a best friend/roommate get in while we didn't.

Thank you for the empathy Rachel&Ross5evr! :) I'm trying to pick myself up, dust myself off and try again next year. Best of luck to everyone going through this stressful journey!

Last edited:

*spends entire day weeping/playing Ryan Adams breakup jams on repeat*

*spends entire day weeping/playing Ryan Adams breakup jams on repeat*
Hi,

I went to second look and they have offered 220, however, from the presentation, 60% of students were decided, whereas 40% of students were undecided (choosing b/t other schools, schools with scholarship offers, schools closer to home, etc). Just an FYI as they begin the waitlist process.

Hi,

I went to second look and they have offered 220, however, from the presentation, 60% of students were decided, whereas 40% of students were undecided (choosing b/t other schools, schools with scholarship offers, schools closer to home, etc). Just an FYI as they begin the waitlist process.

Do you know how many people showed up to second look?

Hi,

When you say decided do you mean that 60% of people have definitely accepted the offer or that 60% of people have decided to either accept or reject? Thanks!

When you say decided do you mean that 60% of people have definitely accepted the offer or that 60% of people have decided to either accept or reject? Thanks!
Hi, about 100ish folks came to second look. The 60% of people, are just an estimation by the assistant dean in his speech of people who definitely have decided to attend UNC, but it is not based of actual accepted or not accepted offers.

As I sit here and heart broken inside, I just can't help but wonder why they would keep us who interviewed in September waiting until April... Feeding us the ever diminishing hope.

Also makes me feel pretty ****ty when some other people have several offers while I'm waiting for the call that never came. Oh well.

Congrats to the class of 2020. Best wishes to y'all

I have a feeling we might hear something end of this week. The past two years they've sent out decisions the week after second look. Last year it was the week between second look and Easter, and if they follow the same trend that is this week.

As I sit here and heart broken inside, I just can't help but wonder why they would keep us who interviewed in September waiting until April... Feeding us the ever diminishing hope.

Also makes me feel pretty ****ty when some other people have several offers while I'm waiting for the call that never came. Oh well.

Congrats to the class of 2020. Best wishes to y'all
Hey, I am right there with you. That was 6 months of having a mini heart attack when my phone rang, constantly refreshing my e-mail, having people ask if I have any good news, and running to my mailbox every week. I just don't understand why it would take this long to decide what to do with us.

Hey, I am right there with you. That was 6 months of having a mini heart attack when my phone rang, constantly refreshing my e-mail, having people ask if I have any good news, and running to my mailbox every week. I just don't understand why it would take this long to decide what to do with us.

The waiting process is awful, but think of it positively: Maybe they have had so many great applicants this year that they don't know what to do! If we were so terrible, it would be an easy decision for them. :)
(Also waiting here)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else feel like it's going to be today? I keep checking my email every 5 minutes looking for the waitlist/rejection :dead:

Anyone else feel like it's going to be today? I keep checking my email every 5 minutes looking for the waitlist/rejection :dead:
I've been doing the same thing. Even had a dream they called me and told me to come to campus to receive a rejection letter lol

Pro-tip: don't expect that type of correspondence from them until close of business (approx 5p). Today or next Fri are probably good guesses as to the day, though!

Pro-tip: don't expect that type of correspondence from them until close of business (approx 5p). Today or next Fri are probably good guesses as to the day, though!

Tomorrow is Good Friday though. Do you think they'll be working? I know other departments at UNC have it as a paid holiday.

Oops, I read that as tomorrow when you said "next Friday"! Who's gonna have a good time hunting Easter eggs with this on their mind?

I think from a mental health standpoint it's best to assume that it's not happening this year. I say this *not* to be a grouch or squash any optimism, but just to seriously encourage all of you who are waiting (myself included) to 1) be present and enjoy the things* you have going on right now, and 2) get to work on your contingency plans. I've been waitlisted before and I did the whole "ball of nerves for an entire summer" and it got me nowhere.

*if possible and you're into it, I highly recommend drinking an adult beverage of your choice, outdoors, while listening to "Take it Easy" by the Eagles.

Reactions: 8 users