2015-2016 University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just remember everyone: in a few short weeks, all admitted students can only hold 1 acceptance...that's when the waitlist gets moving! And if it doesn't move for you this go 'round, make sure you've beefed up the app for the next cycle that isn't too far away from opening!
Edit: also, drink. A lot. It's good for the mind, body and soul (but probably not your liver).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you by chance know exactly when this "1 acceptance per applicant" deal goes into effect?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
April 30th is the last day for holding multiple acceptances but waitlist movement could start happening as soon as schools start releasing financial aid packages/scholarship info

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected 6 months after interview :/
IS first time applicant

UNC gives exit interviews via phone at the end of the application season, if you have been rejected from all other schools.
Can you let me know how this work? Should I initiate the contact or they would contact me at the end of the application season? If I need to contact them first, should I email or call the admissions? Very interested in what they really think of me..

Can you let me know how this work? Should I initiate the contact or they would contact me at the end of the application season? If I need to contact them first, should I email or call the admissions? Very interested in what they really think of me..

I believe you have to initiate contact...call the admissions office after this application cycle and they will most likely schedule an appointment to meet with Ms. Reid...she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet because she truly cares about everyone who steps in her office (coming from someone who took her advice)

Reactions: 1 users
So fellow WLers I was mining thru old threads and looks like there is some movement around the end of April and a lot of movement around May 15...this month is gonna go by even slower than the previous 4, I can just feel it.

I am a long time lurker, 1st time IS app, rejected last week. I am studying for an MCAT retake and was wondering if anyone on here looking to reapply wanted to buddy up? It might be good to have someone to just check in with about application questions, etc. :)

I believe you have to initiate contact...call the admissions office after this application cycle and they will most likely schedule an appointment to meet with Ms. Reid...she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet because she truly cares about everyone who steps in her office (coming from someone who took her advice)

Any idea if we can get this feedback even if we did get accepted elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have been accepted has anyone received info on financial aid yet?

FinAid Packages should be sent out in may from what i've heard from multiple source (still NOT 100% sure though). If you want to be proactive and you live pretty close to CH you could schedule a sit down with the FinAid Advisors. Im looking to sit down with them in the next 2 weeks to get some face time. It always helps!!!!!

I asked them in person earlier this week and they said by the end of next week

Is it me or does it feel like the wait list is much smaller this year among SDNers?

Just received an email saying that my financial aid package has been calculated!

Did anyone receive significant need based loans or grants? I am just wondering if my relatively late submission of FAFSA affected that or UNC just doesn't really have need based grants.

After much consideration I have decided to decline my acceptance to UNC. I hope it goes to one of you patient SDNers. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
During May, if anyone gets off the waitlist, could you post your great news on SDN? We can know when waitlist movement starts and perhaps know the pace of offers. Best of luck to all still waiting.

has everyone who didnt get an II been formally rejected by now? i never got any contact from UNC at all...

Can someone please invite me to the Facebook group or tell me what it's called?

Thanks so much!!!

So there was WL movement at the end of April/first week of May last year...anyone have any insight about this year?

I don't think we should abandon all hope, but it's probably safe to say that the wait list isn't moving like it has in the past.

I suspect more people accepted their offers than expected, and it's possible that the wait list will not be utilized very much, if at all.

Hang in there, every one.

Looks like their algorithm/ formula/whatever method you want to call it was fairly accurate this year

I was just accepted off of the wait list so there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 users
While on the call I was hardly able to form sentences, so no unfortunately I didn't think to get any intel...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe UNC generally takes around 10 people off the waitlist. But their yield seems to be increasing each year. Besides the two applicants sharing waitlist acceptances, has anyone else gotten off the waitlist? If yes, please share your great news.

I believe UNC generally takes around 10 people off the waitlist. But their yield seems to be increasing each year. Besides the two applicants sharing waitlist acceptances, has anyone else gotten off the waitlist? If yes, please share your great news.

How do u know this if you don't mind me asking?

Are other waitlisted students receiving emails from UNC School of Medicine? I have been receiving general emails from the school over the past couple weeks.

Are other waitlisted students receiving emails from UNC School of Medicine? I have been receiving general emails from the school over the past couple weeks.

The last communication I got from UNC was an offer for a position on the waitlist. I never even got a confirmation when I accepted (which made me quite paranoid).

Could anyone from last year OOS speak to the aid they may have received? I have a 520 and 3.97, so I think I have a decent shot OOS, but I'm wondering if they give anything to their OOS students to help balance the cost. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a native NC resident and I go to UNC Charlotte. Anyone willing to help me out with looking at my unofficial transcripts and telling me their advice? It'd be much appreciated. I am a non-traditional student. I'm 26, currently transitioning out of engineering into a history program(it's what I actually prefer to do). I transferred a year ago form a community college with a lot of credits and just keep going from there. I have completed up to calc 3 and physics but none of the chem or bio classes yet. Chapel Hill is by far my number one school, and I plan casting a big net but still... one can hope. Anyone willing to look at my transcripts and give me their opinion feel free to respond!
Thanks!
-MS