2015-2016 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

OOS applicant, submitted. Good luck everyone

I'm a current student at USC SoM (rising M2) if anyone has any questions. I'd be happy to answer anything I can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current student at USC SoM (rising M2) if anyone has any questions. I'd be happy to answer anything I can.
I'm an in-state student applying here this cycle. What are some reasons that you chose to attend USC SOM?

2000 character limit
What are your medical practice goals?
Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career.
If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).
In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?
What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?
Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?

Is it frowned upon to use an essay answer that I used in the Greenville application? Does each campus have a different review committee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it frowned upon to use an essay answer that I used in the Greenville application? Does each campus have a different review committee?
I was wondering the same thing. I just got my secondary this morning.

just got the secondary, OOS. was there a screen?
The website says "Following receipt and individual screening of the initial AMCAS application in the School of Medicine Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services, supplemental application materials (including evaluations and a nonrefundable $95 processing fee) will be requested from all applicants."

I received my secondary today. I'm OOS!

They seem to want people who have significant ties to the state. I'm applying OOS with no real ties other than the fact that I have a cousin who is a professor at the university (not the medical school). Would this be considered a significant enough tie? I don't want to pay the fee if there isn't really any chance of being accepted as an OOS applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm an in-state student applying here this cycle. What are some reasons that you chose to attend USC SOM?

Super sorry for the late response. I only occasionally come on SDN and have email notifications turned off.

Now to answer your question. The 100% honest answer for me is that I didn't get in anywhere else.

But the more important thing is that I really like where I'm at now. I think USC SoM gets overlooked, and I'll give you a completely straight answer about why I think it's a great school and you should consider coming here over the other schools in the state. The single greatest thing about USC SoM is its commitment to fostering a great learning community for students. Our professors LIVE to see their students succeed. This isn't something you'll find at many other schools. For example, the fail rate for the first anatomy test is usually 1/3 of the class. I'm pretty sure there are similar numbers at many schools. It's just a completely different work load compared to anything you've experienced before. For those students that scored a 75 or below on the first anatomy exam (passing is 70), they were immediately enrolled in an extra help program. In this program, the struggling students would meet with the anatomy prof in small groups at least weekly, usually more often. This was after work hours and on weekends, so the prof was taking her own free time to do this, simply because she was dedicated to helping students succeed. There was a similar program in other courses, like physiology. I'm in constant awe of the extra hoops faculty/staff jump though to help students succeed.

Another reason for considering USC SoM is our focus on primary care. I have no interest in pursuing a primary care career (I want to do academic Heme/Onc), but being surrounded by so many faculty and classmates who are focused on total well-being, instead of management of acute diseases, is a very refreshing background. I believe my education will give me a better background in preventative medicine than many other schools and will help me, even in a hyper-specialized area of medicine like Heme/Onc.

I like to give good with bad, just so you know what you're getting into. Things I think USC is weak on/needs to improve:
1 - our facilities aren't amazing. Greenville is new/shiny and MUSC also has some great facilities. This isn't really a problem, but we definitely don't get anyone that comes to our school because they were enraptured by the facilities. That said, the new Dean recently announced that they are looking to move and hope to break ground on a new facility nearer downtown soon (don't know the exact timeline).
2 - Research at USC isn't amazing. We definitely have research (both basic science and clinical), but there is very little transnational work being done, and the funding for most stuff is minimal. Given the competitive nature of many fields, like Neurosurgery and ENT, you're almost required to do research IN THOSE FIELDS in order to be competitive for a residency slot. Those opportunities are more difficult (but not impossible) to come by at USC compared to MUSC. The new Dean seems committed to seriously upping our research chops, which is great to hear. He appointed a new director of research who seems to have a good roadmap for how to accomplish this, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I have been told by the folks at Greenville, the schools are completely separate entities despite sharing the "USC" title. So I would doubt that the same admissions people are looking at both applications. Just my two cents.

I'm a current student and I can tell you this is 100% correct. Including admissions, there is no connection between the two schools other than the name.

They seem to want people who have significant ties to the state. I'm applying OOS with no real ties other than the fact that I have a cousin who is a professor at the university (not the medical school). Would this be considered a significant enough tie? I don't want to pay the fee if there isn't really any chance of being accepted as an OOS applicant.

I'm not sure how the admissions committee decides what is a close personal tie and what isn't, but I believe the close personal ties thing probably relies heavily on how you make it sound. If you can write about visiting your cousin and falling in love with the city/state, wanting to help the poor people of rural SC, or something like that it makes your connection to the state sound much more genuine. It's all about how you convey your connection to the state, not necessarily how strong the connection really is.

Do like: Columbia is a medium sized town so traffic isn't terrible. There are nicer shopping areas with things like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc close to campus. Faculty is friendly but you can sense a rift between the PhDs and the MD clinicians.
Don't like: Hard to find translational clinical research, some depts. don't have clinical rotations in house (no Rad-Onc dept for example), Columbia can be dangerous like many cities in the wrong parts (crime ranking 2%, aka safer than 2% of other cities in this country).

Thanks for posting. If you don't mind, could you tell us a little bit about what you like/don't like at USC Columbia? I am applying to all three schools and have been to MUSC and Greenville, but know very little about Columbia. Sorry for the rather open-ended question.

Here's what I told someone else in the thread about my experience at the school:
I really like where I'm at now. I think USC SoM gets overlooked, and I'll give you a completely straight answer about why I think it's a great school and you should consider coming here over the other schools in the state. The single greatest thing about USC SoM is its commitment to fostering a great learning community for students. Our professors LIVE to see their students succeed. This isn't something you'll find at many other schools. For example, the fail rate for the first anatomy test is usually 1/3 of the class. I'm pretty sure there are similar numbers at many schools. It's just a completely different work load compared to anything you've experienced before. For those students that scored a 75 or below on the first anatomy exam (passing is 70), they were immediately enrolled in an extra help program. In this program, the struggling students would meet with the anatomy prof in small groups at least weekly, usually more often. This was after work hours and on weekends, so the prof was taking her own free time to do this, simply because she was dedicated to helping students succeed. There was a similar program in other courses, like physiology. I'm in constant awe of the extra hoops faculty/staff jump though to help students succeed.

Another reason for considering USC SoM is our focus on primary care. I have no interest in pursuing a primary care career (I want to do academic Heme/Onc), but being surrounded by so many faculty and classmates who are focused on total well-being, instead of management of acute diseases, is a very refreshing background. I believe my education will give me a better background in preventative medicine than many other schools and will help me, even in a hyper-specialized area of medicine like Heme/Onc.

I like to give good with bad, just so you know what you're getting into. Things I think USC is weak on/needs to improve:
1 - our facilities aren't amazing. Greenville is new/shiny and MUSC also has some great facilities. This isn't really a problem, but we definitely don't get anyone that comes to our school because they were enraptured by the facilities. That said, the new Dean recently announced that they are looking to move and hope to break ground on a new facility nearer downtown soon (don't know the exact timeline).
2 - Research at USC isn't amazing. We definitely have research (both basic science and clinical), but there is very little transnational work being done, and the funding for most stuff is minimal. Given the competitive nature of many fields, like Neurosurgery and ENT, you're almost required to do research IN THOSE FIELDS in order to be competitive for a residency slot. Those opportunities are more difficult (but not impossible) to come by at USC compared to MUSC. The new Dean seems committed to seriously upping our research chops, which is great to hear. He appointed a new director of research who seems to have a good roadmap for how to accomplish this, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

This is my first time applying, may be a silly question.

For the secondary questions, are we expected to always provide a "full" (approaching the 2,000 characters limit) answer for each? While I can easily write that many characters for some questions, there are others I am not sure about. For example, "What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?"

My honest answer is that I do have a few areas of interest, however I am not hard set on anything because I do not have tons of direct experience in these fields, and know that my interests could easily change once I do. Is it sufficient to state each area, with a sentence or two explaining why I am interested? Or should I be trying to add more detail (it would be a stretch) to approach the character limit..

Any advice appreciated :)

This is my first time applying, may be a silly question.

For the secondary questions, are we expected to always provide a "full" (approaching the 2,000 characters limit) answer for each? While I can easily write that many characters for some questions, there are others I am not sure about. For example, "What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?"

My honest answer is that I do have a few areas of interest, however I am not hard set on anything because I do not have tons of direct experience in these fields, and know that my interests could easily change once I do. Is it sufficient to state each area, with a sentence or two explaining why I am interested? Or should I be trying to add more detail (it would be a stretch) to approach the character limit..

Any advice appreciated :)
I focused on the area of medicine that I am interested in and then gave some reasons why (shadowing experience, scope of practice, etc.) but then I talked about how I haven't been exposed to every specialty and that I was going to approach school with an open mind.

Edit: not all my responses were close to 2,000 characters. Some were lengthier and others were shorter. I didn't want to add a ton of "fluff" to my answers. I hope that's alright!

Did anybody get an application complete email? I got one for USC Greenville but not for USC Columbia and I submitted Columbia's first.

Do you guys think my nickname "dirtbag" is too unprofessional? I am using dirtbag as a reference to a vaccum cleaner...I have a funny story that goes with it. This is a serious question, lol

Do you guys think my nickname "dirtbag" is too unprofessional? I am using dirtbag as a reference to a vaccum cleaner...I have a funny story that goes with it. This is a serious question, lol
Nah man. Goes great with DickFaceDan.

I submitted on the 17th.

Thanks. I just got a complete email from Greenville after submitting the secondary a few days ago. I've yet to submit the USC Columbia secondary...

I submitted on the 17th.
I submitted my secondary on the 3rd and haven't heard anything back regarding completion, but I did get the greenville completion email (I submitted both on the same day). If I recall, previous usc columbia threads had this same issue. It has been a month now for me and still nothing so do not worry about it!

II today. So excited!!

II invite as well! OOS, strong ties to South Carolina! So happy!

Reactions: 2 users
Do they update the status of your application where we logged in to complete the secondary? Or is they only way to know where you stand in the process is by an email from them?

Can you give us any insight on how their interview process goes, @Bigwill6709 ? I would love to go to this school, and am excited to have such an early interview date.

tour the hospital campus the first part of the day, have lunch, interviews, tour the medical school preclinical campus after interviews.

tour the hospital campus the first part of the day, have lunch, interviews, tour the medical school preclinical campus after interviews.
Were the interviews 1 on 1? Open or closed? Conversational or grilling?

@Pseudo Logic, @Warderino92 gave correct information. Interviews are all 1 on 1. You'll probably have two interviews if the process hasn't changed since I started. Each interview is different, so just try to find some common ground with the interviewers (this advice goes for any school, not just here). We have student members on our admissions committee. 2 second years (aka my classmates) and 2 fourth years. Remember that these are students, but they are FULL VOTING MEMBERS of the admissions committee. Their opinion counts, so treat your time with them as you would with any other interviewer. Don't make it too familiar, despite your proximity in age. If you want to have something to talk about, you'll hear a lot about our ultrasound program. Maybe look into that a little and have some questions prepared regarding the role of ultrasound in medical education. Our school's website is an atrocious, but here's the relevant link: http://ultrasoundinstitute.med.sc.edu/UI.asp . The ultrasound program here is kind of like our most cherished possession. We also got a new Dean, so you can always look interested by simply asking how the new leadership will affect your schooling.

Oh, you'll go into the anatomy lab. Not all schools do this. It's not a big deal at all, but just be prepared to see a dead body.

@Pseudo Logic, @Warderino92 gave correct information. Interviews are all 1 on 1. You'll probably have two interviews if the process hasn't changed since I started. Each interview is different, so just try to find some common ground with the interviewers (this advice goes for any school, not just here). We have student members on our admissions committee. 2 second years (aka my classmates) and 2 fourth years. Remember that these are students, but they are FULL VOTING MEMBERS of the admissions committee. Their opinion counts, so treat your time with them as you would with any other interviewer. Don't make it too familiar, despite your proximity in age. If you want to have something to talk about, you'll hear a lot about our ultrasound program. Maybe look into that a little and have some questions prepared regarding the role of ultrasound in medical education. Our school's website is an atrocious, but here's the relevant link: http://ultrasoundinstitute.med.sc.edu/UI.asp . The ultrasound program here is kind of like our most cherished possession. We also got a new Dean, so you can always look interested by simply asking how the new leadership will affect your schooling.

Oh, you'll go into the anatomy lab. Not all schools do this. It's not a big deal at all, but just be prepared to see a dead body.
thank you for your information! do you know if the response turnaround is pretty quick? specifically, if since I have an interview midSeptember, will i hear yay or nay near october 15th?

Just interviewed here today, and that's my understanding, yes. I'll write up a summary this weekend when I fly home, but if any of you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Just interviewed here today, and that's my understanding, yes. I'll write up a summary this weekend when I fly home, but if any of you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
That is awesome! I didn't know they started this week for interviews. I would love to hear how it went! I am assuming you're OOS?