2015-2016 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
For those who get accepted, is there a deadline for us to submit our immunization record form? Does it come with the Welcome packet? Admission told me in early Feb that I will receive my Welcome packet along with the instructions but I haven't gotten anything so far :(
Thanks
Just looked at the form and it says: "Please ensure your immunization records are provided to the Office of Student Health Services or call 813-974-1758 if you have additional questions."

It doesn't come with a form, but I found this online http://health.usf.edu/medicine/internalmedicine/infectious/medicalhealthadmin/medical_students.htm
There is probably a 2016-2017 sheet somewhere

Members don't see this ad.

Can I do benchwork for the summer immersion and then turn that into the capstone project for SELECT?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, interesting. Do you remember what the date was when you had this call with them?

Ah ok, this potentially clears things up. Thanks!

I called them like 2 days ago! I'm trying to remain optimistic about acceptances but if they said during the interview day that acceptances are made thru phone calls and everything else is by post then I'm not sure how likely it is anymore that I've gotten an immediate acceptance post interview.. :(

Also to answer your other question I do specifically remember being told that the two February interview days for SELECT was 2/8 and 2/22.

hope others from these two days know something more about what's going on!

I called them like 2 days ago! I'm trying to remain optimistic about acceptances but if they said during the interview day that acceptances are made thru phone calls and everything else is by post then I'm not sure how likely it is anymore that I've gotten an immediate acceptance post interview.. :(

Also to answer your other question I do specifically remember being told that the two February interview days for SELECT was 2/8 and 2/22.

hope others from these two days know something more about what's going on!

When I called a couple of weeks ago, I asked about when we might hear back, and they told me that we should be hearing by what is now last week. So I'm not entirely certain if they have a definite timeline.

Also, please don't lose hope yet! We probably just have to wait it out, since it seems like this is a busy time for the adcom. They have to plan second look, get aid packets out, interview, etc. In previous threads, it looked like more acceptances were sent out in mid April, so I think there's still hope.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting ready for my interview on the 15th and I was wondering if anyone that has interviewed could tell me how many applicants are interviewed per date?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Getting ready for my interview on the 15th and I was wondering if anyone that has interviewed could tell me how many applicants are interviewed per date?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
About 13 people were there last week.

Can I do benchwork for the summer immersion and then turn that into the capstone project for SELECT?

Generally, summer immersion projects are supposed to be more clinically oriented and not lab benchwork (they should be based off one or more of the core competencies of the program). Usually the same goes for capstone.

Do you think there's a chance for an interview invite at this point or should I give up?
If you're still in limbo, I just got an II about an hour ago. Still a chance.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my Pre-II rejection. Good luck y'all.

Pre-Interview rejection yesterday. Based on my acceptances, this is the only interview that I would have still attended. So I guess this marks the end of my application cycle. Good luck to everyone still fighting; it's not over till it's over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got II for CORE

Reactions: 5 users
Did any one get this:
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview this year.

However, we are inviting you to apply to our Interdisciplinary Masters of Science (IMS) program. IMS students are guaranteed to matriculate into the subsequent class if they achieve the benchmarks of the program. To learn more about the IMS program, please visit the IMS website. If you would like to be considered for the IMS program, please apply here. Current or past IMS student are ineligible to participate in the new IMS pipeline program. If you have any questions pertaining to the IMS program or your eligibility status, please contact Shirley Smith at [email protected] or 813-396-9944.

Reactions: 3 users
Did any one get this:
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview this year.

However, we are inviting you to apply to our Interdisciplinary Masters of Science (IMS) program. IMS students are guaranteed to matriculate into the subsequent class if they achieve the benchmarks of the program. To learn more about the IMS program, please visit the IMS website. If you would like to be considered for the IMS program, please apply here. Current or past IMS student are ineligible to participate in the new IMS pipeline program. If you have any questions pertaining to the IMS program or your eligibility status, please contact Shirley Smith at [email protected] or 813-396-9944.
Yeah, it seems like a way to just get money.

I got accepted back in Oct. Has anyone heard anything about financial aid/scholarship/loans yet? I sent in my FAFSA a bit ago. I'm just not sure if others have heard back yet.
I was also accepted in October! I haven't heard anything, but I'd advise you to go ahead and fill out the financial aid paperwork. I'm going to work on that this week.

I only now saw that the Facebook group has been created, so I guess I should check this forum more often! I'm looking for roommates so hopefully this will help. I know many people meet their roommates at Second Look, but I thought it best to post on here too. I'm looking for fun yet studious roommates who are down to explore Tampa but know when to take school seriously (work/life balance). I'm a fairly clean person so neatness is a priority. Some of my interests include TV, video games, and travel. I'm also a huge foodie. Above all, I would love a group of roommates who actually want to become friends, instead of remaining strangers who share a space.

Yeah, it seems like a way to just get money.

The IMS Masters program has been around for many years and has a great track record for not only helping students get into medical school but also preparing them to excel once admitted. It has only recently become a pipeline program with guaranteed admission into USF MCOM, which is awesome. I completed the program several years ago and I'm currently an MCOM student and thankful for the foundation IMS gave me.

There are definitely other masters programs out there that are just moneymakers for universities, but that is not IMS. The program is very small (only about 10 people each year) and the goal is to give students with exceptional and diverse life experiences outside of the classroom the opportunity to best prepare themselves academically to succeed in medical school. I strongly recommend looking further into the program to see if it might be a good fit for you.

Life if pretty busy for me right now but feel free to send me any questions about the program and I will do my best to get back to you quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does USF offer any scholarships for SELECT students? I liked the program but cannot justify the absurd cost.

Soooo... Any phone calls/emails/snailmail/telegrams/owl post/howlers recently?

Reactions: 2 users
I talked to financial aid, and a ton of people who forwarded me all over the office...(They were quite friendly though) and it looks like financial aid packages will not come out until Mid-April.

Soooo... Any phone calls/emails/snailmail/telegrams/owl post/howlers recently?
Still no word here 2/8 SELECT. Earlier poster said they were told that the adcom met last week when they called. Confused on the hold up, but trying to be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How many more interviews are there left for SELECT? Maybe two for the month of March and that's it? Maybe that affects why they're being so slow to notify Feb interviewers?....

Does anyone know if USF has published the class schedule somewhere? The acceptance packet mentions that August 1 is the orientation day for CORE students, but I'm not sure if that means that's the first day of class. Any details would be appreciated.

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/medicine/mdprogram/events/Academic Calendar AY2016-17.pdf

Select (8/1) starts a week earlier than core (8/8). The first week is a course called professions of health where you get the bulk of your orientation/introductory activities and lectures but not actually any basic science. The following week you start course 1 (msk and cancer bio). If your packet says orientation is 8/1, you might have class on that day if you are select, but I don't think core would have class on that day. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

http://health.usf.edu/nocms/medicine/mdprogram/events/Academic Calendar AY2016-17.pdf

Select (8/1) starts a week earlier than core (8/8). The first week is a course called professions of health where you get the bulk of your orientation/introductory activities and lectures but not actually any basic science. The following week you start course 1 (msk and cancer bio). If your packet says orientation is 8/1, you might have class on that day if you are select, but I don't think core would have class on that day. Hope that helps.

That definitely helps, thank you!

Last edited:
How many more interviews are there left for SELECT? Maybe two for the month of March and that's it? Maybe that affects why they're being so slow to notify Feb interviewers?....

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/mdadmissions/timeline.htm

They don't split it between SELECT and Core, but it looks like they interview through April period. It's really odd to me that everyone from earlier interview dates seems to have heard the next week or so by phone if accepted, or snail mail a couple weeks after if waitlisted/rejected, but we've heard absolutely nothing and it's been over a month.

A couple of times this week, but got the answering machine.
I think if you email their admissions office, you should get a reply. Shannon McNulty is very helpful.

I saw a few people in the thread mention the IMS program. Does anyone happen to know the application process/timeline for this? Getting nervous since submitting the app for it and trying to assess my chances of getting in. Thanks!

A couple of times this week, but got the answering machine.

I used to get the answering machine, but you know how the automated system directs you to two different numbers based on your last name... Try dialing 2 for that option instead of 1. I usually get a person that way. And I agree with the post above, Shannon McNulty is really nice and helpful. She usually responds within 24 hours :)

I received II about two weeks ago and April 4th was literally the only day i could select from. This is for SELECT.

Just to make sure, we haven't had to send anything in to them since acceptance besides the acceptance form, right? I actually never sent in my Fall transcripts, and wasn't sure if that was something they wanted.

On another note, who else is going to second look? I'll be there, hoping to meet some of you guys. I'll probably be going here come August, might as well try to find some potential roommates.

Just to make sure, we haven't had to send anything in to them since acceptance besides the acceptance form, right? I actually never sent in my Fall transcripts, and wasn't sure if that was something they wanted.

On another note, who else is going to second look? I'll be there, hoping to meet some of you guys. I'll probably be going here come August, might as well try to find some potential roommates.
They said to send in all transcripts (but don't worry- I'm not sending them until I settle on one school). There are also fin aid stuff you should send in.

See ya at 2nd look!

I got this as well...Seriously contemplating applying if I don't get in this cycle instead of throwing up another set of hail marys and spending a bunch of $$$ to possibly get rejected for MD again next cycle and end up at a DO school.

If anyone has experience with this program or knows more info about it I'd love for ya to PM Me.

I don't have experience in this program, but had I known I'd end up at USF and had this opportunity, I'd take it for sure! You pretty much are guaranteed a seat, you will kill all your first year classes when you become an M1 and it's a great way to really figure out your study style and build connections here in that extra year. Most people I know who did it (not a lot of ppl ofc) are doing pretty well so far

I got through to the admissions office today. They were friendly and happy to answer questions. Apparently the delay was due to a committee meeting cancellation. I was told that the 2/8ers for SELECT were decided upon in the meeting that occurred earlier this week and that we should hear by either call/snail mail by the end of next week. That jives with what other people have said regarding time between the decision meeting and notification. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I got through to the admissions office today. They were friendly and happy to answer questions. Apparently the delay was due to a committee meeting cancellation. I was told that the 2/8ers for SELECT were decided upon in the meeting that occurred earlier this week and that we should hear by either call/snail mail by the end of next week. That jives with what other people have said regarding time between the decision meeting and notification. Best of luck!

Ahhh best of luck to us all!!

I guess I should have checked my mail before I called them. Waitlisted via snail mail today. Here's to hoping there's a lot of movement around the April 30th deadline. Currently riding a few waitlists with no acceptances as a second time applicant :(

Waitlisted via snail mail today =( This isn't the outcome I was hoping for; I gave it my best on interview day.
Core applicant, OOS
Interviewed 2/23

I guess I should have checked my mail before I called them. Waitlisted via snail mail today. Here's to hoping there's a lot of movement around the April 30th deadline. Currently riding a few waitlists with no acceptances as a second time applicant :(

I'm in the same boat as you, except that I'm a third-time applicant to medical school. I didn't make it off the waitlist in 2014, unfortunately.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in skimming the past few pages I don't think I've seen an acceptance post since January. Has anyone been accepted since then? Seems to be only waitlist (post-II) or reject (pre-II).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in skimming the past few pages I don't think I've seen an acceptance post since January. Has anyone been accepted since then? Seems to be only waitlist (post-II) or reject (pre-II).

Appears correct. Do they waitlist everyone that interviews if they're not accepted, or are there post-II rejections? I'm not seeing anyone say they were rejected post-II.

Appears correct. Do they waitlist everyone that interviews if they're not accepted, or are there post-II rejections? I'm not seeing anyone say they were rejected post-II.

On their website, they mention that candidates who aren't offered an outright acceptance are placed on a waitlist, unless they are applying ED. So I guess that means that they don't reject people until the class officially matriculates.