2015-2016 University of Texas - Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UTMB another excellent school. I was quite impressed when I visited here at the 2015 Seminar. And they have one of the best Step 1 scores of all the schools in TX. Add half days to the mix and this is a gem on Galveston island!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
applying from out of state!

application under review- submitted 5/20

@SweetCaroline7

Also received UTMB's email this morning - exciting!

It looks like last year the first reported Under Review email was 6/12 (same as this year) and the first reported interview invite batch was on 6/30. That is just 18 days from now.

Hopefully some IIs for a&m and tech come out next week like last year

I haven't got an email from UTMB and submitted 5/23 should I be concerned? I got an email from UTSA Tuesday :/

Just wait and see if you get it by the end of next week. I wouldn't be concerned

I haven't got an email from UTMB and submitted 5/23 should I be concerned? I got an email from UTSA Tuesday :/

I don't think so. It sounds like the latest someone who received the email submitted was 5/20. Give it a few days. Also, is 5/23 your TMDSAS submission date or transmission date? If you haven't been verified, that could be why.

I don't think so. It sounds like the latest someone who received the email submitted was 5/20. Give it a few days. Also, is 5/23 your TMDSAS submission date or transmission date? If you haven't been verified, that could be why.

It was transmitted 05/29. Okay yeah I'll wait to worry/call them if I don't get a message sometime next week. I attended a Canadian University is the only reason I'm worried. I've spoken with the associate dean of admissions at UTMB and he says it's alright to apply from there since I am an American Resident but it caused problems for me in the last application cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received a confirmation email yet from UTMB yet, and I received one from UTHSCSA like the day after it transmitted (6/8). Should I call and ask if they got it?

I haven't received a confirmation email yet from UTMB yet, and I received one from UTHSCSA like the day after it transmitted (6/8). Should I call and ask if they got it?

I still haven't got mine (5/29) and had the same thing with UTHSCSA

II
Transmitted late May
Under Review 6/12
LizzyM 71+

Edit: In State
Yes, it was an e-mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! I was under review the same day as well but still waiting for a response. Does anyone know if rejection emails get sent pre-interview or if we just wait until interview season is over to find out?

Should I be worried if I haven't got under review and I was transmitted 05/29?

I was transmitted on 5/26 but it took them a little more than 2 weeks to get back to me. I think you should be fine as long as everything on your TMDSAS is complete and verified. They might be reviewing the files in waves so you might be next (just speculating)! Calling to double check wouldn't be unreasonable either though.

Congrats!! I was under review the same day as well but still waiting for a response. Does anyone know if rejection emails get sent pre-interview or if we just wait until interview season is over to find out?

Wait until interview season is over.

II today as well!! IS and lizzy m of 71 but high mcat lower end gpa so not typically what this school likes so I am beyond excited!!! At work and way too excited for it to only be 3 pm haha

Reactions: 2 users
II today also, transmitted on June 1st, under review on June 12th, IS.

LizzyM ~75

Last edited:
II today as well!! IS, transmitted 5/8, under review 6/12

Though I'm confused because they haven't received my letters yet...committee letter won't be sent until mid-July according to my school so I wasn't expecting to hear back from anywhere until then. Kinda concerned this is a fluke..I may call them

II today as well!! IS and lizzy m of 71 but high mcat lower end gpa so not typically what this school likes so I am beyond excited!!! At work and way too excited for it to only be 3 pm haha
Congrats!! Are you IS or OOS?

Should I be worried if I haven't got under review and I was transmitted 05/29?

I don't know the details of your application, but just know that college admissions in general are (edit: tend to be) a crapshoot.
Given the quality of my application, I consider myself fortunate to have received an interview this early.

II today as well!! IS, transmitted 5/8, under review 6/12

Though I'm confused because they haven't received my letters yet...committee letter won't be sent until mid-July according to my school so I wasn't expecting to hear back from anywhere until then. Kinda concerned this is a fluke..I may call them

Not a fluke. Some schools review your app without the committee letter. Usually those are the UT schools (such as this one).

Last edited:
Not a fluke. Some schools review your app without the committee letter. Usually those are the UT schools (such as this one).

Thanks for letting me know! I couldn't find that written anywhere

Thanks for letting me know! I couldn't find that written anywhere

It's not really written anywhere (maybe it is, I don't know!).
I figured that one out by looking at mdapps and previous years' threads.

Last edited:
II 8/7 here as well, LizzyM 66. I interviewed here last year, and I was thrown into the abyss of the "alternate pool". Congratulations and best of luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
II 8/7 here as well, LizzyM 66. I interviewed here last year, and I was thrown into the abyss of the "alternate pool". Congratulations and best of luck to all!
II for 8/7/15.
LizzyM = 71
Transmitted 5/19/15 (all supporting docs in on 6/8/2015).
In State.
Under review e-mail was sent on 6/12/15.

what were the interview date options? Just 08/07?

what were the interview date options? Just 08/07?
Yeah it said 8/7 and that was it.
it did reference an interview date of 9/11 as a future interview date while talking about the student host options.

Also is that your dog? Cause it's adorable and I love it haha

Yeah it said 8/7 and that was it.
it did reference an interview date of 9/11 as a future interview date while talking about the student host options.

Also is that your dog? Cause it's adorable and I love it haha

Ah guess it's good I didn't get one that date cuz I have a surgery scheduled that day that I need to do.

And yes it is my dog and I love it too :)

II today too. Transmitted on 05/19. Committee letter still pending.

Historically, UTMB is very generous with its interview invites, more than any other Texas school in my opinion. All that you need to guarantee an interview
is a 3.7+ GPA and an "above average" mcat score, thus getting an interview here doesn't correlate well with your chances at other Texas schools, especially those with secondaries. Also, UTMB's class fills up mostly thru pre-match offers, which I also think are influenced heavily by your LizzyM and your interview day.

If anyone has any input on my observations, please feel free to contribute.

II today too. Transmitted on 05/19. Committee letter still pending.
How is it possible for you to receive an II while your Committee letter is still pending?
Do they only screen by GPA/MCAT for II at UTMB?

How is it possible for you to receive an II while your Committee letter is still pending?

I wish I could answer your question as I am surprised too. I guess they screen by GPA/MCAT for II like you said.

Also, I checked last year's thread and some people received II before letters were in.

Historically, UTMB is very generous with its interview invites, more than any other Texas school in my opinion. All that you need to guarantee an interview
is a 3.7+ GPA and an "above average" mcat score, thus getting an interview here doesn't correlate well with your chances at other Texas schools, especially those with secondaries. Also, UTMB's class fills up mostly thru pre-match offers, which I also think are influenced heavily by your LizzyM and your interview day.

If anyone has any input on my observations, please feel free to contribute.

I noticed you interviewed last year. Is the bolded something they present on interview day? I'm just a little worried (and bummed) because I was complete early, have both of the requirements you mentioned above and received the "under review" email on 6/12. I'm IS.

I noticed you interviewed last year. Is the bolded something they present on interview day? I'm just a little worried (and bummed) because I was complete early, have both of the requirements you mentioned above and received the "under review" email on 6/12. I'm IS.
Maybe you're too good and they figure you'll go to UTSW or some other school with better stats? I've heard that happens, though I'm not sure if it's true.

Maybe you're too good and they figure you'll go to UTSW or some other school with better stats? I've heard that happens, though I'm not sure if it's true.

Well, I'm certainly not feeling "too good" right now ;) LizzyM is 75-ish. Does this happen? I know it is far from over. I suppose this is the often-disheartening nature of the process.

Isn't 75 really good? Mine is 76 and I thought that was really good. Now I'm worried.

Well, you're also OOS and I'm IS. I'm sure that will make a difference. I believe TX schools look for OOS applicants with higher stats than IS, so I don't think you have any reason to worry. I am only worried/posed this question because I am IS.

II yesterday, LizzyM of 76, IS applicant

How is it possible that admissions doesn't know that not only have they started reviewing files, they have already sent out a round of invites...

Ok. Can someone tell me what's going on. Is it possible the II email received were fluke or something?

It seems reasonable for interview invites to be out.

I received the review letter two weeks ago now.

"Thank you for applying to the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. We have received your application and it is currently being reviewed by our Admissions Committee. To check on the status of your application please continue to check the TMDSAS website."