2015-2016 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No secondary.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My DREAM school right here!!!!!!!!! I am thrilled to be applying here. Good luck to all!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Phenomenal school. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Earl are you going to UTH this fall? I've noticed a lot of your post since last cycle :)

I'm not, but I like this school so much that I felt compelled to post!

Reactions: 1 user
Applying from out of state!!

I hope I get in here. :( My stats are a little lower than average which makes me a little worried, but hopefully they see more beyond my numbers! Good luck to everyone!

I'm not applying right now, but I wanted to wish everyone the best. I love this school. Right in my hometown, H-Town! I will definitely be visiting this campus sometime this year, so maybe I'll see some of you anonymous folks around.

Has anyone received a confirmation email yet?

I called a few weeks ago and I was told that we would receive an email when under review.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year it looks interview invites went out in early July (and August the year before).

I'm planning on submitting on 6/30. O__O
Would you guys consider that too late?

I'm planning on submitting on 6/30. O__O
Would you guys consider that too late?

This answer isn't from Houston, but TTUHSC says that an early submission is May 1-July 15 (source: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/faq.aspx). Will your application be complete once you press submit (letters/transcripts already in, no pending MCAT scores)? If so, then I think 6/30 is by no means too late.

This answer isn't from Houston, but TTUHSC says that an early submission is May 1-July 15 (source: https://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/admissions/faq.aspx). Will your application be complete once you press submit (letters/transcripts already in, no pending MCAT scores)? If so, then I think 6/30 is by no means too late.

Hi @SweetCaroline7 !
Thanks for that link, I'm applying to all schools in Texas and Tech is one of my first choices so I'm glad to hear that they consider late June as an early submission. The only thing missing from my application would be my LORs. I had my transcripts sent from my undergrad last Monday so hopefully they should be getting them soon. Took the MCAT last year (scores received), but I'm retaking it again on August 6th. I'm in the Medical Sciences program at UNTHSC and they highlyyy advised us to wait till August to retake the MCAT since we're taking the Princeton Review course right now. I'm just having such a hard time writing my PS! That's the one thing thats slowing me down with my application, but I told myself I HAVE to hit that submit button on 6/30, no excuses! Lol.
We've had a lot of admissions people come talk to us since school started at the beginning of June and they all say that submitting within the month of June is early, but seeing how many people on here submitted in May just terrifies me lol. :eek:

Hi @KarlyMarlyMD! :)

I am by no means an expert (first time applicant, undergrad was OOS so my advising as far as TMDSAS goes was minimal), so hopefully others weigh in, too. I believe that with a pending MCAT score, they will wait for your August score to come in before reviewing your file. I'm not sure if at that point you go to the top of the review pile (or close to it) because your TMDSAS submission date was 6/30 or if your app is considered incomplete until that score comes in and you get reviewed with the other people complete in September (I'm assuming the MCAT scores are going back to a 1 month turnaround by then).

If you're in a formal program right now, maybe they could offer you some advise. It seems to me that if your app won't be considered until the August score comes in, you would be better off taking your time with the PS and allowing yourself a few more weeks with it, since it shouldn't make a difference if your app is submitted but waiting for a score anyway. But if they tell you that you will get reviewed sooner than that, then 6/30 sounds like a good plan.

Hi @SweetCaroline7 !
I'm in the Medical Sciences program at UNTHSC and they highlyyy advised us to wait till August to retake the MCAT since we're taking the Princeton Review course right now. I'm just having such a hard time writing my PS! That's the one thing thats slowing me down with my application, but I told myself I HAVE to hit that submit button on 6/30, no excuses! Lol.

Take your time with your PS. It's one of the most vital components of your application. The marginal cost of submitting a weak PS is much greater than the marginal benefit of having your application submitted on 6/30, which won't matter because you won't be complete until September.

has anyone received an "under review" email? I know @SweetCaroline7 said we'd get one

Just received an email stating my application has been received and under review, but I saw 2014-2015 (surprising). Has anyone else gotten a confirmation yet?

Just received an email stating my application has been received and under review, but I saw 2014-2015 (surprising). Has anyone else gotten a confirmation yet?

Yay! No confirmation here. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Was just about to ask that! I'm assuming the 2014-2015 is a typo.

I also got the under review email today, I'm sure it's just a typo. Committee letter pending, transmitted 5/8

Thank you!

Now I'm confused. Anyone else IS and complete on or before Lanoserol's date, but without an email from Houston?

Maybe it's alphabetical

Thank you!

Now I'm confused. Anyone else IS and complete on or before Lanoserol's date, but without an email from Houston?

Breathe. It's extremely early in this cycle. There is plenty of time. Relax.

Breathe. It's extremely early in this cycle. There is plenty of time. Relax.

When you have all gears at a 10 to submit an early app, it becomes hard to remember this :)

Last edited:
Let us all be patient. It's too early in the cycle to be worried.

I still haven't gotten one and I transmitted 5/20

Hi all! Lots of stress involved with this process (I went through the last cycle), but it truly is early. Just for reference, I received my Under Review email last year on June 12th...and it took until August 22 to get that golden ticket email to interview, and that was for a pretty early interview at that. AKA almost 2 months of radio silence. So don't freak out! And best of luck with that too haha

Reactions: 5 users
Yayyy I got my under review!!

Reactions: 3 users
I called the admissions office and they said that the 2014-2015 was a typo

I got my under review email too!! YAY. They don't have my committee letter though. I guess this school and TX A&M start without the letters.

Yeah, my committee letter writer has been taking extremely long to write ours. Did you also get a confirmation from A&M?

A&M lists your Review status in the portal.

Also received the UTH letter.

Yep, finally under review here.

Under review. Transmitted on 5/19. All supporting documents are in as well.

Got the under review email yesterday as well!