2015-2016 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So this being a new M.D. school do any of you have any guesses to the stats? I'm assuming it will be the lowest out of all M.D.s in Texas since its new and its location is not near a big city

So this being a new M.D. school do any of you have any guesses to the stats? I'm assuming it will be the lowest out of all M.D.s in Texas since its new and its location is not near a big city

I'd look mostly at the UT San Antonio stats since previously, it was optional to do M3 and M4 years in the RGV. They'll probably be just a *bit* higher than their average since you had to be selected to go there when applying to SA, but they should still look very similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look mostly at the UT San Antonio stats since previously, it was optional to do M3 and M4 years in the RGV. They'll probably be just a *bit* higher than their average since you had to be selected to go there when applying to SA, but they should still look very similar.

You think the matriculant data will be higher for UTRGV than San Antonio's averages?

You think the matriculant data will be higher for UTRGV than San Antonio's averages?
I dont think so. They will probably offer acceptances to a lot of people, but anyone who got into another school would not matriculate here because this is a new school and the location. The stats would be like or less than that of TTU El Paso's.

Reactions: 2 users
I dont think so. They will probably offer acceptances to a lot of people, but anyone who got into another school would not matriculate here because this is a new school and the location. The stats would be like or less than that of TTU El Paso's.

+1, my thoughts exactly

I'm from the valley, so I hear things through the grapevine - just in case you were wondering how I know the following things I'm about to say. They're supposedly only going to accept 50 students in their first class, just like Dell Med at UT Austin. The campus (at least the medical education part) will be built in Edinburg although there will probably be several sites in Harlingen/McAllen/Edinburg which will have clinical training for med students - one of which was formerly the RAHC through UTHSC San Antonio (it's in Harlingen). I'm sure it'll be tough to get in if you don't have a desire to work with underserved populations - especially since you'll be training in the poorest area of the U.S. They're probably looking for students who want to work with Hispanic populations, can speak Spanish (or at least intend to learn how to speak it), and are interested in primary care. It's not to say they won't accept someone with the desire to practice non-primary care medicine, but I'm sure they'll take your interest in primary care more seriously. I think the stats will probably reflect that of El Paso and Lubbock, but just due to the fact that they're accepting few students may make it more difficult.

If anyone has questions on what living in the valley is like, feel free to ask! I will say that it's not as bad as people think it is. No, there's no *border violence* on our side of the border, and I would say the valley is much safer than most major cities in Texas. We also have South Padre, which is only 20 minutes from Brownsville and about an hour and a half away from Edinburg! :)

Reactions: 5 users
@hornstudent what is the largest city near the school? I am interested in UT Rio Grande Valley, but I'm worried my husband might have a hard time finding work.

@hornstudent what is the largest city near the school? I am interested in UT Rio Grande Valley, but I'm worried my husband might have a hard time finding work.

McAllen (pop. ~140,000) is the largest city closest to Edinburg. It is a neighboring city. Brownsville is about an hour drive (maybe a little longer) from Edinburg and has a pop. ~180,000. And Harlingen is between McAllen and Brownsville. We have a huge ship port near Brownsville/South Padre Island that hires a lot of workers, but I'm sure there are things you can find. Depends on what he does!

Reactions: 1 user
@hornstudent he is a software engineer. He currently works for an energy company in the Houston area. 140,000 people isn't too bad!

@hornstudent he is a software engineer. He currently works for an energy company in the Houston area. 140,000 people isn't too bad!

I don't really know what the job availability in the valley would be for someone in that field, but I would bet that either McAllen or the Port of Brownsville would offer something, if any.

Isn't it kind of strange that they haven't been accredited yet?

Accreditation processes take a very long time. I wouldn't even be surprised if they received their accreditation in like Sept/Oct.

Would make for an interesting and unusual TMDSAS year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accreditation processes take a very long time. I wouldn't even be surprised if they received their accreditation in like Sept/Oct.

Would make for an interesting and unusual TMDSAS year.
It would help me out though ;)

Is this school definitely opening? Because I've been hearing mixed things that they may take their first class Fall 2017.

Is this school definitely opening? Because I've been hearing mixed things that they may take their first class Fall 2017.
All their websites still say the school will be opening in 2016, and on their facebook they posted on July 1st saying they are still in the process of accreditation, so unless anyone can confirm otherwise, I assume it still is! I certainly hope that's the case, at any rate.

What is the haps on this school so far? any news?

Reactions: 1 users
If they would only put me in charge. I can build great buildings fast and I have a wonderful company.

EDIT: I'm just kidding. I'm busy running for POTUS. VOTE TRUMP!

Last edited:

I was trying to figure this out yesterday. From an article I saw, it looked like their LCME visit was around July 1st. I'm just hoping to hear something soon!

McAllen (pop. ~140,000) is the largest city closest to Edinburg. It is a neighboring city. Brownsville is about an hour drive (maybe a little longer) from Edinburg and has a pop. ~180,000. And Harlingen is between McAllen and Brownsville. We have a huge ship port near Brownsville/South Padre Island that hires a lot of workers, but I'm sure there are things you can find. Depends on what he does!

I did a 2-week volunteer work trip down there over 5 years ago. The transportation hub is Harlingen. Then all those places around, even South Padre. During that time I heard that 2 Mexican rival gangs had a shootout in broad day light on UT-Brownsville campus.

I did a 2-week volunteer work trip down there over 5 years ago. The transportation hub is Harlingen. Then all those places around, even South Padre. During that time I heard that 2 Mexican rival gangs had a shootout in broad day light on UT-Brownsville campus.
This is why I keep saying that we have to secure our borders. I do not understand why people prioritize sympathy for illegal immigrants over our safety and sovereignty as a nation. Securing the border will be one of my first tasks if I become president.

Mr. Trump

I'm from Brownsville so I can say that 2 Mexican rival gangs absolutely did not have a shootout on the UTB campus. The cartel disagreements do not spill over onto the U.S. side as far as physical violence is concerned.

You can support the securing of our borders, but if you have no sympathy or interest in working with both illegal and legal immigrants (which is the case in the Rio Grande Valley - you'll be working with this population), this school is definitely not for you. No hard feelings for people and their opinions because we all have them, but if you don't have an interest in working with the underserved and with the people of the RGV, you'll probably be skipped over.

This is why I keep saying that we have to secure our borders. I do not understand why people prioritize sympathy for illegal immigrants over our safety and sovereignty as a nation. Securing the border will be one of my first tasks if I become president.

Mr. Trump

Please stop with your trolling. This is a serious forum for serious applicants vying admission to medical school.
Also this isn't a place for you to espouse your political views.

Reactions: 3 users
Please stop with your trolling. This is a serious forum for serious applicants vying admission to medical school.
Also this isn't a place for you to espouse your political views.
I understand that I may have come across as a troll because of my political emphasis, but this is not my intention. I have not and will not intentionally undermine the integrity of any of the sdn threads that I decide to post in. If you have genuine reason to suggest that some of the content I post are attempts to "troll", please let me know and I will either provide a sincere explanation about my contribution to prove its legitimacy, or if the content is proven to be inappropriate I will edit and apologize.

I realize that this is not a political forum but the notion that I am merely "espousing" my political views is simply false. I strongly believe that politics in this nation dictate the nature of medicine. I am able to go in depth on this issue, but that would actually be going "off topic" on this specific thread. My post about the border is related to this specific school that has not began accepting applications as of yet. It was a response to a post that personally concerns me, and I felt that I can contribute my knowledge. You may not endorse what I say, but you can simply just ignore the existence of my posts, or if you disagree you could discuss the issue in a civil manner just like @SouthernPreDoc did. I do not necessarily agree with him but that is the nature of any debate.

Finally, if by stating that "This is a serious forum for serious applicants" you are suggesting a lack of seriousness in me without having any knowledge of who I am, then I find that utterly offensive.

Mr. Trump

I understand that I may have come across as a troll because of my political emphasis, but this is not my intention. I have not and will not intentionally undermine the integrity of any of the sdn threads that I decide to post in. If you have genuine reason to suggest that some of the content I post are attempts to "troll", please let me know and I will either provide a sincere explanation about my contribution to prove its legitimacy, or if the content is proven to be inappropriate I will edit and apologize.

I realize that this is not a political forum but the notion that I am merely "espousing" my political views is simply false. I strongly believe that politics in this nation dictate the nature of medicine. I am able to go in depth on this issue, but that would actually be going "off topic" on this specific thread. My post about the border is related to this specific school that has not began accepting applications as of yet. It was a response to a post that personally concerns me, and I felt that I can contribute my knowledge. You may not endorse what I say, but you can simply just ignore the existence of my posts, or if you disagree you could discuss the issue in a civil manner just like @SouthernPreDoc did. I do not necessarily agree with him but that is the nature of any debate.

Finally, if by stating that "This is a serious forum for serious applicants" you are suggesting a lack of seriousness in me without having any knowledge of who I am, then I find that utterly offensive.

Mr. Trump

With all due respect, what part of my comment did you not agree with?

With all due respect, what part of my comment did you not agree with?
I do not intend to take over this thread so I will try to be laconic with my answer. I mostly agree with your post regarding the need to sympathize with illegals in the US as physicians. My only issue is that I believe I can have a preference of securing the border and preventing illegals from coming across without losing interest in wanting to treat those who have crossed illegally and demand medical attention. The reason is that I view it as a mistake on both sides, the illegals for crossing into our country, and our government for not being able to prevent it. It is therefore our responsibility to provide care for illegals that have already come here, while at the same time put forth strong efforts to secure the border.

Mr. Trump

In my San Antonio interview day they said this school will be accepting apps in October

Reactions: 4 users
In my San Antonio interview day they said this school will be accepting apps in October

So those who submitted TMDSAS will have the option to forward their application to this school?
Has there been any indication how that process will be done?

Any news about this school? Is it on track to open in 2016?

@Jzen12 The dean of admissions at UTHSCSA told us that they will be accepting applications starting in October.

I e-mailed the dean of Rio Grande. He told me "if" they get accredited, then they will accept applications in October.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like it's unlikely they don't get accredited. It's part of the UT system; I bet they get it taken care of

They're accepting TMDSAS applications now, so get crackin' and submit your request!

Reactions: 4 users
There is a secondary.

how do you know / where did you find out?
It is not listed on the TMDSAS site as one of the schools that requires a secondary, but maybe that is just outdated info

Thanks!

how do you know / where did you find out?
It is not listed on the TMDSAS site as one of the schools that requires a secondary, but maybe that is just outdated info

Thanks!

Its on UTRGV's School of Medicine website underneath FAQ's.

Go the email Now accepting applications through TMDSAS! GL to all!

Just looked and saw this. No secondary I guess.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444855690.272981.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, so no secondary or secondary fee for the first class. I wonder when they will send out II. Anybody get a confirmation that they applied to UTRGV yet?

Also, how strong of a preference do you guys think they will have for hispanics or spanish speakers?