2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoihaie

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supplemental Essay Questions
Each question has a 2000 character limit.
  • Describe why you wish to enroll at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. You should describe any connection that you have to southwest Michigan.
  • Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
(Official abbreviation: WMed)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary Screening Threshold
  • MCAT: 25 (or 40th percentile for MCAT2015); no sub-score minimums
  • GPA: 3.0
Admissions Summary (Class of 2019)
  • Applications: 3,993
  • Telephone Interviews: 661
  • Onsite Interviews: 321
  • Class Size: 60
  • Average GPA: 3.59
  • Median MCAT: 32
  • MCAT 10th - 90th Percentile: 29 - 34
Demographics (Class of 2019)
  • Male:Female: 52%:48%
  • Age Range: 21.5 – 45.2
  • Average Age: 25.3
  • URM: 17%
Dual Degree Programs
  • MD/MBA
  • MD/PhD - Van Andel Institute
  • MD/PhD - Western Michigan University
WMed Linkage SMP (for Fall 2016 entering class)

• The Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences program is designed to enhance biomedical science knowledge and prepare students for medical school. At the conclusion of this 12 month program, students meeting the requirements are invited to join the medical degree program at WMed.
  • Potential students will be contacted and invited to apply based on AMCAS application materials.

Links

11264848_422935354578229_2921669222692547930_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Looking for some IS love from Kalamazoo!! Adding to my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS. Fingers crossed!!

For the secondary prompt that asks about any connections to southwest Michigan, is it worth it to mention that I have a brother that attends medical school in Michigan? The school my brother attends is not in southwest Michigan, but in Michigan nonetheless. Could I say something like this: "I am close to my brother, and his proximity can be a source of support and guidance for me during my time at WMed." Or would this not even matter to the admissions committee? I have absolutely no ties to Michigan, except for this little bit.

For the secondary prompt that asks about any connections to southwest Michigan, is it worth it to mention that I have a brother that attends medical school in Michigan? The school my brother attends is not in southwest Michigan, but in Michigan nonetheless. Could I say something like this: "I am close to my brother, and his proximity can be a source of support and guidance for me during my time at WMed." Or would this not even matter to the admissions committee? I have absolutely no ties to Michigan, except for this little bit.

If it's not in southwest michigan, it probably doesn't count. You d on't necessarily have to have ties to sw michigan. there are several people in my class who hasn't even heard of Kalamazoo before

Reactions: 1 user

I don't think it could hurt, for what's it's worth.

Will WMU students be able to get government loans for the 2016 start date?

I live in Michigan but no ties to the southwest area in particular, would it be appropriate to talk about my wishes to stay close to family and friends as a component to the the first question?

I live in Michigan but no ties to the southwest area in particular, would it be appropriate to talk about my wishes to stay close to family and friends as a component to the the first question?

I'm in the same boat. I was planning on saying something similar to that.

I don't think it would hurt, or help. You don't necessarily need any ties to SW michigan anyways. Class of 2018 had 15 people from CA

Man that "What diversity do you bring" question is a real doozy for an Asian male middle-class applicant T.T

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Man that "What diversity do you bring" question is a real doozy for an Asian male middle-class applicant T.T

Consider talking about diversity of experience, diversity of skills, diversity of perspective, diversity of long-term goals.

Race/ethnicity/gender/etc can be a source of outlooks/perspectives that are under-represented in the class, sure. But that's not the only source. And I feel comfortable in saying that it's surely not the only set of qualities valued by the school as diversity. So think about it and find what makes you unique! (the best advice I can give on this question)

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to share this but - I heard that the first round of supplemental apps are going out in the middle of next week. Good luck everybody! (even if you don't get a supp app this round, you still have a great chance to get one later)

Same prompts as last year?
Our supplemental application has three steps:
1. Application Fee: We require supplemental application processing fee of $85.00. The fee payment is submitted prior to completing the other components of the supplemental application.

Please note - if you received the AAMC fee waiver, your supplemental fee will be waived as well.

2. Essay Questions: You must provide written responses to two essay questions. Each question has a 2000 character limit.
Essay #1: Describe why you wish to enroll at WMU Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. You should describe any connection you have to southwest Michigan.

Essay #2: Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.

3. Online Assessment: Upon completion of the supplemental essays, you will receive a separate email with instructions and a link to complete this assessment. Your application cannot move through our admissions process until this assessment is completed.

I haven't received a secondary yet. I submitted on the first day it was possible to submit. Does anyone know if they send them out in waves?

I haven't received a secondary yet. I submitted on the first day it was possible to submit. Does anyone know if they send them out in waves?

My understanding is that they do come out in waves.

Got my secondary this morning. Anyone know how long it takes to do the online assessment?

Got my secondary this morning. Anyone know how long it takes to do the online assessment?

Pretty sure it was <1 hour when I did it last year.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

I still didn't get a secondary ...

don't worry, it's very early. As long as you pass the minimum screening threshold, you'll get the secondary

okay thank you!!! I really hope so. My gpa is above a 3 and my mcat above the 40th percentile so I'm going to keep hoping :)

Same, I was just gonna ask about that.

My understanding is that they come in waves. I don't know if the waves are alphabetical, GPA-based, random. I remember when I was applying, it felt like everything moved in the order that was least convenient for me, always and every time. But stress always makes us feel that way, right?

I chatted with the director of admissions (sort of gave an "I have a friend who is applying" thing) - and she said to hang tight, we've only sent the first wave of supplemental apps, and everyone meeting the minimum will get a supp app. So hang tight :)

Last edited:
Emailed them, they said it as long as you meet the cut off you should receive it within a week!

Has there been any kind of definitive answer about the school being approved for federal loans? I dont want to spend money on a secondary if I wouldn't even be able to attend the school

Disclaimer: this comes from a student with less than 100% understanding of the process (but still a lot of understanding).

Availability of federal loans is tied to moving through stages of accreditation (as it is at all schools). Right now, WMed is in the stage called "prelminary accreditation," which means the accrediting body has said - "ok, you're doing great. We're going to revisit in a couple years to make sure you keep it up, and then we'll take off the 'preliminary' part." Typically schools take 2-4 years to move through that phase.

The communication the first class of students has received is basically "we're on track" to get accreditation some time between the end of our second year and third year (some time between summer 2016 and 2017). I would expect that summer 2016 is probably when we'll get federal loans.

That said - I may still stick with private loans after that. I got a lower interest rate on my private loan than the interest rate offered by federal loans.

Secondary Screening Threshold
  • MCAT: 25 (or 40th percentile for MCAT2015); no sub-score minimums
  • GPA: 3.0

Admissions Summary
(Class of 2018)
  • Applications: 3,751
  • Telephone Interviews: 656
  • Onsite Interviews: 333
  • Class Size: 54
  • Average GPA: 3.66
  • Median MCAT: 31
  • MCAT 10th - 90th Percentile: 29 - 35
Letters of Recommendation
  • Use AMCAS letter service.
  • Minimum of 3 (4 max).
  • Two of the letters of recommendation must be provided by faculty members who have been the applicant's undergraduate or graduate instructors or mentors, or employment supervisors in the case of non-traditional applicants.
  • Premed committee composite letter accepted in lieu of the 2 letters from faculties.
Links

10959384_848556318540983_8761865612369343844_n.jpg

our average MCAT score was actually 32, not 31.

What does the online assessment involve? I really hope it's not the CASPer online MMI (from NYMC) that costs another $20...
Not to mention the HUGE NYMC snafus in running the CASPER software. I hope this is not that!!

Just got the secondary invite!!

What does the online assessment involve? I really hope it's not the CASPer online MMI (from NYMC) that costs another $20...

it's free and is multiple choice. Very simple

Reactions: 2 users
Lolol ask and you shall receive.. Just got the secondary

I submitted my application this morning, but have not received an email with a link for the quiz.
Mine came rite away, probably going to knock it out tonight.

Anyone else try to log back into their (not completed) secondary and only getting a blank welcome page with options for checking status and scheduling an interview but no link to the secondary?

EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out.