2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...I was gonna say "and quadruple the bitterness."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the acceptance call as well! OOS applicant and waitlisted mid-December, so don't give up hope! So excited. :)

Reactions: 8 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully it goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Elated to have just gotten accepted here! There isn't an aspect of this place I don't love: I will just say that much up front, and note also my happy willingness to elaborate if anyone should wish me to.

Classes of 2018 and 2019, you impressed me deeply during my interview day visit. This newest of class 2020 members can't wait to have the honor of thanking you for that personally, come next fall!

Reactions: 6 users
I'll admit... I knew the medical school application cycle would be difficult, but I had no idea of the emotional side to this difficulty!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted yesterday, this is an amazing school!

Can anyone else that was accepted here comment on the attached acceptance letter? They require a signed enrollment commitment form within a few weeks, and the language used in the form seems more committing than other acceptances I've seen.

Does WMed not let you hang onto a tentative acceptance until April 30th like other schools? Or am I misunderstanding their letter?

I think you may be misunderstanding the letter. The April 30 deadline is set by AAMC, not by individual schools. If you're unsure though, you could also call the admissions office - they're friendly people! :)

*Edit*

I just looked back at my acceptance letter and form from 2014, and the language doesn't seem to say anything about holding other offers of admission from other schools. Was there anything in the language specifically that says that? (I have no clue if the language has changed since 2014)

It doesn't explicitely say anything about holding other acceptances, however it says:

"By signing this commitment, I acknowledge the conditions of my offer of admission as listed in my offer letter and my intent to enroll at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine in August 2016."

Which seemed a bit exclusive to me. I'll call later and ask for clarification :)

Ah yeah, the language is the same in my 2014 letter. I never read it as restrictive, but for sure give a call!

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Link to the Facebook group? :)

:p

D4Bkm8A.png

:p

Good question.... in the last couple years it was early march-ish, so I think it will probably be late feb/early march-ish ? Maybe. Don't quote me on that. I'll try to get a more definite answer.

*Edit* - didn't have to look far. On the website it says early March. http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-medical-students/campus-interview
Good deal. Still haven't gotten a phone interview so I'm not putting much stake in it, but it would be really great to have a shot here

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Elated to have just gotten accepted here! There isn't an aspect of this place I don't love: I will just say that much up front, and note also my happy willingness to elaborate if anyone should wish me to.

Classes of 2018 and 2019, you impressed me deeply during my interview day visit. This newest of class 2020 members can't wait to have the honor of thanking you for that personally, come next fall!
Can I ask when all the recently accepted students interviewed?

...Phone interview email today! Just wanted to share for those who are still waiting to hear from this school. I was complete in August/Experience review complete in September.

...Phone interview email today! Just wanted to share for those who are still waiting to hear from this school. I was complete in August/Experience review complete in September.
Yussss there is still hope!
I hope it goes well!

Reactions: 1 users
II today, on campus! Just so everyone knows, it's still happening. My phone interview was in October so I thought I'd failed, but I'm interviewing March 4

Campus II! Scheduled for 2/26. Sending good vibes and keeping my fingers crossed for ALL of you.

For people who interviewed already, around what time is the interview day over?

Debating about whether a flight out at 6:30pm from AZO (15 min drive) is a good idea on the same evening of the interview... Any thoughts?

Debating about whether a flight out at 6:30pm from AZO (15 min drive) is a good idea on the same evening of the interview... Any thoughts?
I don't remember when it ended, but I did the 7PM flight before (I still have itinery) and had loads of time. I waited 40 min for a local taxi service, had time to grab dinner, and screwed around in the airport for an hour. Security check in is also super quick.

Is uber pretty built up over there or will I have a hard time finding a driver in the morning?

Is uber pretty built up over there or will I have a hard time finding a driver in the morning?
Well... I don't know about uber. . . But I still highly recommend "The Taxi Guy". It cost 15 bucks to get from the airport to the school, though I forked over 20 because the guy was nice. Uber is probably way cheaper. : P

Edit:
Seems there's some uber going on in Kalamazoo. http://www.yelp.com/biz/uber-kalamazoo

My flight left at 5:30 and I ended up sitting around for at least an hour at the airport, even with my taxi showing up late, so 6:30 shouldn't be a problem. All of the Ubers were taken by the time I requested one though, so reserving a the day before is probably a good idea.

I just pulled up uber and see 6 cars available with a 4 minute estimated wait time. (Kalamazoo is a small city so 6 cars is plenty unless all the applicants take them ^_^).

Also, as Holmwood said - the taxi guy is another option.

+1. The first "half" of my app process was finished in two weeks. I had my experiences review completed by the second week of August. Then I sat waiting for the next 6 ish months and got the phone interview today! Hopefully that means there's still a campus II and a spot with my name on it.

Loving that so many people were surprised with good news today. Best of luck to the phone II folks!

As I recall, it was over around 3:30pm...

Can anyone else that was accepted here comment on the attached acceptance letter? They require a signed enrollment commitment form within a few weeks, and the language used in the form seems more committing than other acceptances I've seen.

Does WMed not let you hang onto a tentative acceptance until April 30th like other schools? Or am I misunderstanding their letter?

Also wondering this!

1 out of the 2 rejections today :(
Good luck to everyone else!

Had my phone interview today and it went great! I would love to get an interview from this school.
What kind of questions did they ask you? I'm sure that's been asked on here before, but I don't want to dig through a whole seasons worth of posts..

Does anybody know if WMED offers meetings/phone calls to discuss why applicants have been rejected? I know other schools have and I found this really beneficial, especially if I end up needing to reapply.

Does anybody know if WMED offers meetings/phone calls to discuss why applicants have been rejected? I know other schools have and I found this really beneficial, especially if I end up needing to reapply.

I would reach out to the director of admissions and ask.

INTERVIEW!!! SO EXCITED!!! I loooovee this school :) Such a cool program, so innovative, great staff, and the sim center is UNREAL!

Expensive though.......

Reactions: 6 users
Any 1/22 interviewees hear back yet..? I know they said 2-3 weeks.

Edit: just got the waitlist e-mail =P

Last edited:
Accepted!!! :soexcited: I got the call this morning. So happy! I interviewed on 1/22. Good luck to the rest still waiting

Reactions: 4 users
INTERVIEW!!! SO EXCITED!!! I loooovee this school :) Such a cool program, so innovative, great staff, and the sim center is UNREAL!

Expensive though.......
When was your phone interview?

Ridiculously expensive. By my calculations it is probably THE MOST expensive MD school in the country. True that the sticker price is comparable to other private MD schools, but you have to keep in mind one thing: Almost every other private MD school is a top 20 school that can afford to subsidize your education with generous scholarships. WMed cannot do that.
I wouldn't even try to compare tuition at WMed to tuition at public MD schools...

Our tuition is $49,000 / year. http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/your-finances/cost-attendance

The most expensive private M.D. school in the US has a tuition of $58,346. http://medicine.tufts.edu/Student-S...D-Costs/Cost-of-Attendance-MD-Program-2015-16

You have access to this information and can look it up, you don't need to say things that are patently false.

I can't comment on the scholarship information at other schools, but my 1st year award was generous and ultimately put WMed at or equal to the lowest tuition (once you accounted for the award) of all 4 schools to which I was accepted. I have no clue how other people did with scholarships, I do know there's a "need-based" component that accounts for socioeconomic status. I also can't comment on second year scholarships or beyond, because ultimately I received a full tuition and cost of living scholarship from an outside source.

You're obviously a smart person if you were accepted into medical school - you can find this information yourself.

As a side-note, public schools are often not the cheaper option. The University of Illinois at Chicago (to which I was also accepted) has an out of state tuition of $72,442. Again, you can and should find this information for yourself before making an unfounded claim like our school being "the most expensive." http://www.medicine.uic.edu/UserFil.../File/Financial_Aid/1516/1516_COA_Chicago.pdf

One more note: The average tuition at private medical schools in the US (2015-2016) per the AAMC was $49129 in-state and $50508 out of state. In both cases, WMed's tuition is below the average. https://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2016

I've said this before in response to your posts. You can have an opinion, you can be unhappy that you chose WMed, you can be unhappy that you chose to pay $49,000 / year in tuition. Feel that way all you want, who cares. What is not acceptable is to straight up lie about things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Our tuition is 49,000 / year. http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/your-finances/cost-attendance

The most expensive private M.D. school in the US has a tuition of 55,418 / year. http://ps.columbia.edu/education/admissions/tuition-expenses

You have access to this information and can look it up, you don't need to say things that are patently false.

I can't comment on the scholarship information at other schools, but my 1st year award was generous and ultimately put WMed at the lowest tuition (once you accounted for the award) of all 4 schools to which I was accepted. I have no clue how other people did with scholarships, I do know there's a "need-based" component that accounts for socioeconomic status. I also can't comment on second year scholarships or beyond, because ultimately I received a full tuition and cost of living scholarship from an outside source.

You're obviously a smart person if you were accepted into medical school - you can find this information yourself.

As a side-note, public schools are often not the cheaper option. The University of Illinois at Chicago (to which I was also accepted) has an out of state tuition of $72,442. Again, you can and should find this information for yourself before making an unfounded claim like our school being "the most expensive." http://www.medicine.uic.edu/UserFil.../File/Financial_Aid/1516/1516_COA_Chicago.pdf
PREACH

Ridiculously expensive. By my calculations it is probably THE MOST expensive MD school in the country. True that the sticker price is comparable to other private MD schools, but you have to keep in mind one thing: Almost every other private MD school is a top 20 school that can afford to subsidize your education with generous scholarships. WMed cannot do that.
I wouldn't even try to compare tuition at WMed to tuition at public MD schools...
Why did you choose WMed?

Gorgeous school.. love the staff and students. Campus interview was today (mentioned previously), phone interview was mid-November. Good luck everyone!