2015 MCAT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc3094

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have a question about the new 2015 MCAT. This is a new exam and many are unsure as how to study for it since there are new sections on the exam. Anyways, I was wondering what books you would recommend to study for this exam. I plan on self-studying, I can't afford a prep course. I know you all might not know about this since it's a new exam and the first test is in April. I am really confused and unsure about this. This is the bad thing about being one of the first ones taking a new exam. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to God I don't have to take it... because based on the trial section of my last exam, the biochem looks brutal. im not sure if I am one to give advice... but if I had to study for it... this is what i'd do. The AAMC releases a comprehensive list of specific topics for each science that one should know when approaching the exam and studying. You should obtain that list and base your studying on that. Maybe make some notes on each topic or whatever. And I know you can't afford a prep course, but I'd recommend SOMETHING. I just got an e-mail today from Princeton review... they already have a practice exam similar to what's to be expected for the 2015 test (I think it might even be free). if I had to pick one company, id go with them. they are legit in pretty much all the sciences AND verbal, and I trust that they'll guide you in the right direction in terms of what to focus on and giving some good practice materials. If you want some advice on what books to get, I'd recommend Campbell's BIOLOGY for biology. For biochem, probably that book by lehninger (not sure if that's how you spell it), it's real good. Any intro physics and gen chem book... and any intro psych and sociology book.

Hey there FutureDoc!

A few things to do:

1. Go buy the official guide immediately. Right now. It's here: Link

This is the big place to start. Buy the book and read it cover-to-cover.

It's breathtakingly boring, but by the time you're done you'll know more about the new MCAT than 90% of MCAT teachers and 99% of pre-med advisors. Seriously.

2. Subscribe/Watch this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-2015-discussion.1053559/

That's our 2015 MCAT discussion thread and I'll be putting a post up there every few days with info and advice about the new exam.

3. If you want to start immediately, buy the KTP set of books here: Link

The Kaplan books come with an online activation that will give you access to three full-length exams along with some additional online practice materials and videos. Knowing Kaplan, they'll continue to add content over the months to come so that by the time Spring rolls around, those books will prove to be a good value. You could also buy TPR's set of books if you're really antsy for practice tests - they also come with an online activation for 3 full lengths. Paying $150 for three tests is kind of steep but the TPR books also have a practice passage at the end of each chapter, which is nice.

4. Bookmark the Khan Academy link: https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat

The AAMC is partnering with the Khan Academy to provide free MCAT prep. For now, it just looks like they're doing content videos and not full practice tests, but still it's an amazing free resource. As it gets built out further, it looks like this website is going to make things like Chad's Videos and the Kaplan (et. al.) online pre-recorded video courses basically obsolete.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The science section will probably stay about the same, so start studying physics, gen. chem., o chem, and biology with Examkrackers Lecture books. New 2015 books will probably be needed for psych, soc, and any other new sections.

The science section will probably stay about the same, so start studying physics, gen. chem., o chem, and biology with Examkrackers Lecture books. New 2015 books will probably be needed for psych, soc, and any other new sections.

Careful here - there's a pretty big shift coming in "tone" of the MCAT to make it much more bio-oriented. I wouldn't start studying physics yet. Stick with biology and verbal, the two parts that will be the most unchanged. Organic chem is almost completely disappearing (only ~11 questions about of 230) so that's not time well spent.

Reactions: 1 user
Careful here - there's a pretty big shift coming in "tone" of the MCAT to make it much more bio-oriented. I wouldn't start studying physics yet. Stick with biology and verbal, the two parts that will be the most unchanged. Organic chem is almost completely disappearing (only ~11 questions about of 230) so that's not time well spent.

Where are you get your information from?

Where I got my information from: https://ppa.byu.edu/sites/ppa.byu.edu/files/New PPA Website Content/Prehealth/Handouts/Premedical Handouts/Premedical Coursework - New MCAT.pdf and http://testprep.about.com/od/themcat/a/MCAT_2015_Info.htm and http://www.browndailyherald.com/2012/02/03/mcat-to-add-psych-sociology-biochem/ I noted the course recommendations.

Last edited:
Is there a self-study format that is out there for the new MCAT? I know there are some for the old one. I have no idea where to being. I read the AAMC guide and I was completely overwhelmed, I feel that I don't know anything.

Is there a self-study format that is out there for the new MCAT? I know there are some for the old one. I have no idea where to being. I read the AAMC guide and I was completely overwhelmed, I feel that I don't know anything.

I'm in the middle of working on our verbal book right now, but when I get some breathing space in about a month I'll be putting together a "SN2ed Style" self-study guide for the new MCAT. I'll also need to wait until the AAMC actually releases their practice test so I can check that out. Just keep checking Next Step's tutoring forum and our 2105 MCAT thread. Or follow me here so you see when I post new stuff.

Don't feel overwhelmed - everyone's in the same boat!

Start with Khan Academy. It's free, and it's an official partner of the AAMC. Watch their MCAT videos once through to start.

Good luck!!

b.