2016-2017 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even though most people go into Under Consideration? Contemplating hard as to whether to try and find a Feb. date or just going with March.

There was only one February date (for today) left when I checked this morning. And as it gets closer to April, I expect the school will be quicker with their decisions.

Anyone know how to withdraw an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, can anyone share their stats just so I can get an idea of where I'm at.

Anyone know how to withdraw an acceptance?
According to the Acceptance Package, "Should you decide not to accept our offer of admission please let us know in writing as soon as possible, but no later than one week from the date of this letter."

There was only one February date (for today) left when I checked this morning. And as it gets closer to April, I expect the school will be quicker with their decisions.

That's true. Called admissions, but they said they just give a score to everyone and put you on a ranked list? So doesn't that mean someone who is waitlisted in an April interview with a higher score get in earlier than someone who interviewed back in September? Any current Albany medical students can chime in whether earlier interviews are better for Feb. vs. late March?

Accepted !!!! :)

Interviewed 1/20
Woke up to an acceptance e-mail this morning, 2/10 !!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today!! Interviewed 1/20, really had a great experience at interview day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/17 and haven't heard back. What does this mean? Anyone else in the same situation?

also did they say anything about where to send thank you emails? i'm assuming their admissions email?

also did they say anything about where to send thank you emails? i'm assuming their admissions email?
I sent my letter to the admissions email and was sure to include in the intro a general thank you to all of those involved in the interview process.

And my stats were MCAT: 512 , cGPA: 3.82 , sGPA: 3.7 nontraditional (took off two years after undergrad)

**Accidentally logged in under a different account but this is SPhillMed!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT: 513
cGPA: 3.48
sGPA: 3.4

traditional student going straight to med school

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I received an II and I'm OOS. I was looking at their data on MSAR and it seems a VERY LOW number of OOS applicants get interviews but out of 259 interviewees , many matriculate. If one assumes they offer acceptances to double the matriculants, it's about 50%. Is this correct? It seems high to me. Thank you!

Hi all, I received an II and I'm OOS. I was looking at their data on MSAR and it seems a VERY LOW number of OOS applicants get interviews but out of 259 interviewees , many matriculate. If one assumes they offer acceptances to double the matriculants, it's about 50%. Is this correct? It seems high to me. Thank you!

The numbers aren't correct.

I interviewed 1/17 and haven't heard back. What does this mean? Anyone else in the same situation?

I interviewed 1/20 and haven't heard back. Not sure what it means but id just sit tight, you'll probably hear something soon.

Why do you think that? Where is your source of information for the "real" numbers, or is this just your personal guess?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Albany has no preference for NY residents as opposed to OOS applicants so out 9,000 apps or so, the majority are going to be from applicants from other states I think about 70 percent. Let's say they get 6,000 OOS secondaries they have to give out IIs to a small percent due to the larger applicant pool. On the other hand they can offer a larger percent of IIs to instate residents just because of the smaller applicant pool. Long story short, it's a private school and they tend not to care which state you're from.

Albany has no preference for NY residents as opposed to OOS applicants so out 9,000 apps or so, the majority are going to be from applicants from other states I think about 70 percent. Let's say they get 6,000 OOS secondaries they have to give out IIs to a small percent due to the larger applicant pool. On the other hand they can offer a larger percent of IIs to instate residents just because of the smaller applicant pool. Long story short, it's a private school and they tend not to care which state you're from.

I totally get that, I guess I should have been more clear with my question - I was wondering if Watermelon Master has any source other than personal speculation about the MSAR swapping numbers. If they don't have accurate information then that's fairly annoying, especially as someone who paid for it haha

Does anybody know if they are acually strict with the 4 day deadline for the acceptance deposit? (For thos not familiar, they require that the check be accepted within four days of your acceptance email) I got accepted this past Wednesday but I just got the money order done and will be mailing it via regular mail on Monday. I am usually very good at following deadlines but I've been so sick and haven't had the time until today. Will they rescind my acceptance?

*I have completed the online forms though.

Sorry, personal speculation from demographics of my interview date. I don't think the IS and OOS numbers are correct on the MSAR but again, just speculation and no proof. At this point it doesn't even matter though!

Does anybody know if they are acually strict with the 4 day deadline for the acceptance deposit? (For thos not familiar, they require that the check be accepted within four days of your acceptance email) I got accepted this past Wednesday but I just got the money order done and will be mailing it via regular mail on Monday. I am usually very good at following deadlines but I've been so sick and haven't had the time until today. Will they rescind my acceptance?

I'd call them and let them know

I'm kind of in the same boat. Accepted on Friday (whooo classmates!!!!) , and need to wait til Monday afternoon to get my money order at the bank. Then, because of where I live, my check wont get there until Thursday earliest (and that's with priority express mail). I plan on calling tomorrow morning and explaining my situation. I'm sure this happens often enough, so hopefully they're understanding!

I totally get that, I guess I should have been more clear with my question - I was wondering if Watermelon Master has any source other than personal speculation about the MSAR swapping numbers. If they don't have accurate information then that's fairly annoying, especially as someone who paid for it haha

I doubt the MSAR is wrong. A few schools are just very selective with who they choose to interview, but they accept the majority of interviewees. Brown comes to mind as one of those as well. Btw, 83/259 OOS interviewees matriculated, so if we assume double that are actually accepted, their post-interview OOS acceptance rate is probably closer to 65%. Few IS interviewees matriculate, but this is probably because there are a fair number of IS schools in New York and I think Albany isn't the most desirable due to tuition and location.

It should be done, I handed mine in late. Just email them letting them know the situation.

I was in the exact same situation, and I just called, then emailed them about to see if it was ok if it was a few days late, and they said it was totally fine, they just want us to let them know the situation. I even got an email a few days later from them when they did receive it, everyone was very helpful!

I read that Albany doesnt have uber or lyft. Did those of you who interviewed there take a taxi from the airport to your hotel? I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn near the medical school but its 11 miles from the Albany airport so a taxi will be pretty expensive so does anyone have alternate suggestions?

I read that Albany doesnt have uber or lyft. Did those of you who interviewed there take a taxi from the airport to your hotel? I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn near the medical school but its 11 miles from the Albany airport so a taxi will be pretty expensive so does anyone have alternate suggestions?

I believe the hotel has a shuttle that goes to the airport on a regular schedule. Maybe call the hotel and ask about the service?

I believe the hotel has a shuttle that goes to the airport on a regular schedule. Maybe call the hotel and ask about the service?
There is a free hotel shuttle to airport or train station. Just schedule with them in person when you get there.

Hey guys, I am the Army Healthcare recruiter in the area. Just wanted to say congrats who everyone who was accepted! Great school and staff. If you have any questions about our scholarship for medical school let me know.

Would a March 1st date be better than a late March date for interviewing?

They have an airport shuttle for free!

Edit: oops I'm about 10 posts too late, here I was thinking I was helpful

Last edited:
Interview 11/16
UC'd 2/9
I just wanna know one way or the other...good luck all

Oh wow thanks for the info because I'm interviewing too. I second that motion , any alternate transportation?

hi all. interviewed 2/9 and really liked the school! I had to run out after the MMI, but does anyone know when we will hear back?

hi all. interviewed 2/9 and really liked the school! I had to run out after the MMI, but does anyone know when we will hear back?
They said probably 2-3 weeks

Interview 02/03. Accepted earlier today :D

had a great experience on my interview day...hoping for some good news!

Received an II today-- was complete late August. I'll likely be withdrawing, good luck to everyone! :)