2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you crusher of soul and dreams ha ha jk. I appreciate your honest assessment of your interview day. Do you feel the students where more happy than average? Around New York they have a reputation (or maybe I'm making this up in my head)of having some of the most content/happiest students as far as medical school goes.
TBH I got the exact opposite impression. Compared to other New York schools, the students here actually seemed genuinely happy to be there and studying medicine everyday. Also most of them seemed to be involved in a lot of stuff outside of school. Especially sports

I think traveling into manhattan is something that wasn't a weekly thing but definitely happened a lot. They said they'd take the bus to the 6 into the city then take a Uber back or pray the bus was on schedule

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
TBH I got the exact opposite impression. Compared to other New York schools, the students here actually seemed genuinely happy to be there and studying medicine everyday. Also most of them seemed to be involved in a lot of stuff outside of school. Especially sports

I think traveling into manhattan is something that wasn't a weekly thing but definitely happened a lot. They said they'd take the bus to the 6 into the city then take a Uber back or pray the bus was on schedule
Well I know they don't go into the city alot because the 6 train sucks and it's not a easy commute as it seems. I went to school in the city so I got that out of my system so that's not a big deal breaker for me

Thank you crusher of soul and dreams ha ha jk. I appreciate your honest assessment of your interview day. Do you feel the students where more happy than average? Around New York they have a reputation (or maybe I'm making this up in my head)of having some of the most content/happiest students as far as medical school goes.
I didn't interview anywhere else in ny. They seemed happy though!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really felt that everyone I met at AECOM was very happy to be there and felt like they were all in it together. Tbh I prefer that the campus is not in the heart of Manhattan, which would be quiet a distraction for me, and would rather just be able to travel to the city on the weekends like many of the students said they do. Overall I came away with a great impression of the campus and would really like to spend the next four years of my life there.

Well I know they don't go into the city alot because the 6 train sucks and it's not a easy commute as it seems. I went to school in the city so I got that out of my system so that's not a big deal breaker for me
I take the 6 all the time! But never that far up

take this with a grain of salt because i was really grumpy all interview day, but i felt like they raved about this gym thing and it was just like a ymca except maybe smaller. the social life is probably enhanced bc most people live in the same building across from the school. they said that they rarely go into the city. the area around the hospital was kinda suburby, but they mentioned that there's a starbucks within walking distance, so there's that. overall it did not look like a "fun" place to be for 4 years.
Personally I go to the city probably 2-5 times per month, depending on how busy I am. There are actually two Starbucks within walking distance. One serves the hospital, and then there is a new one that serves the student housing area and has a drive-through. I wouldn't say the area itself is fun, but we are close enough to the city to go there often. I also take the 6 all the time, but the express bus and the 2 and the 5 are also options. I would definitely choose here over most (all?) of the country that isn't NYC. And it is really nice that so many students live in the student housing (3 buildings next to each other, across the street from class).

I think the students here are really happy overall, for a few reasons. P/F curriculum is great for reducing stress. Exam schedules are reasonable and we always get an entire day off to study before an exam (in addition to weekends, if applicable). Quizzes count for very little of our grade but they are good for checking progress. Besides the curriculum stuff, the big things to me are being near the city and living with all of the other students, like I said before.

Does anyone have thoughts on how best to get from EWR to Albert Einstein?
I always uber/lyft/cab.

Reactions: 1 users

Current MS2, so I think people at the school are generally very happy about their lives. For most of your first two years you have plenty of time to go into the city (take the express bus - get there in like an hour or less- depending on where you go). The exception is during the second half of second year, when you have classes, required things, and STEP 1 (because of all this your workload increases a little). As someone mentioned above, one of the reasons people are so happy here is because it is incredibly collegial. If someone has a resource or access to a resource, more often than not they will be willing to share it. Ie. Handwritten notes, charts, pdf's, etc.

Does anyone have thoughts on how best to get from EWR to Albert Einstein?

You can use lyft/uber or a cab. If you have time (meaning you are not in a rush) there is another route. You can take this shuttle called Newark Airport Express (I think its like 15 dollars) to Bryant Park or Grand Central Station and then take the express bus ($6.50) straight into the Bronx ( it stops outside the med school - total cost 23 dollars). The route is on google maps if you need more details.

Hope it helps

Does anyone remember their thank you note policy after interview? I don't remember them mentioning anything about them. Thanks

Does anyone remember their thank you note policy after interview? I don't remember them mentioning anything about them. Thanks

If you want to thank your interviewer send them a note to the address he/she gave you. Or you can email them. Either way they are receptive of them.

This thread will explode next week . Waiting in anticipation and fear!
Its not like I read through the past 3 years (90+ pages) of school specific threads for this school

Reactions: 11 users
This thread will explode next week . Waiting in anticipation and fear!
Its not like I read through the past 3 years (90+ pages) of school specific threads for this school

Want to summarize all that reading for the rest of us? Please and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Want to summarize all that reading for the rest of us? Please and thank you!

First of all we might not hear back next week I think they were a few days late of the earliest date of an acceptance .
HPWL is a good thing. They send out decisions normally in waves, so acceptances, regular waitlisted (which is almost a rejection) HPWL (good news) and then rejections. You may interviewed in September and not hear back Feb 1 someone might interview in January and hear back very quickly it's not very linear. After getting HPWL they will email you again to see if you are still interested in the school alot of posters on SDN who said they received that email later got a acceptance (but can't use that to judge the likelihood of a acceptance because of SDN isn't really representative of the whole applicant pool but HPWL is normally good news and the email you get when placed on it will be in a upbeat tone)
People who come off HPWL got scholarships as well which was strange because you would think that only goes to straight out accepted students.
This school like you to grovel aka show interest by sending them love notes aka letters of interest after a waitlist (I am completely against this practice but it is what it is)
Ummm student housing is cheap and spacious and even though pets are not allowed people have animals in the apartments.
Interviews really got sent out really late in the cycle it's not like some schools that say they interview into May but sent out the invites for those slots from February, this school really did interview late into the cycle so there is hope for you out there waiting for a interview from here.
Lastly and most importantly in the past 3 years of this thread I saw posters who are regulars on SDN who eventually got rejected from this school but accepted elsewhere some are even active members in their schools 2016-2017 school specific thread. The reason this is important to me is coming to the realization that a rejection here dosnt mean you won't be happy at the school where you end up. It all works out in the end.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please show me some love, Einstein!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for writing that. I'm getting pretty anxious now that early Feb is coming.

First of all we might not hear back next week I think they were a few days late of the earliest date of an acceptance .
HPWL is a good thing. They send out decisions normally in waves, so acceptances, regular waitlisted (which is almost a rejection) HPWL (good news) and then rejections. You may interviewed in September and not hear back Feb 1 someone might interview in January and hear back very quickly it's not very linear. After getting HPWL they will email you again to see if you are still interested in the school alot of posters on SDN who said they received that email later got a acceptance (but can't use that to judge the likelihood of a acceptance because of SDN isn't really representative of the whole applicant pool but HPWL is normally good news and the email you get when placed on it will be in a upbeat tone)
People who come off HPWL got scholarships as well which was strange because you would think that only goes to straight out accepted students.
This school like you to grovel aka show interest by sending them love notes aka letters of interest after a waitlist (I am completely against this practice but it is what it is)
Ummm student housing is cheap and spacious and even though pets are not allowed people have animals in the apartments.
Interviews really got sent out really late in the cycle it's not like some schools that say they interview into May but sent out the invites for those slots from February, this school really did interview late into the cycle so there is hope for you out there waiting for a interview from here.
Lastly and most importantly in the past 3 years of this thread I saw posters who are regulars on SDN who eventually got rejected from this school but accepted elsewhere some are even active members in their schools 2016-2017 school specific thread. The reason this is important to me is coming to the realization that a rejection here dosnt mean you won't be happy at the school where you end up. It all works out in the end.

Oh god, just looking at the Post-II acceptance rate for einstein (27% for last cycle) is making me nauseous. 1/4 chance of getting in at this point? I'm expecting bad news.

Oh god, just looking at the Post-II acceptance rate for einstein (27% for last cycle) is making me nauseous. 1/4 chance of getting in at this point? I'm expecting bad news.
Remember, a lot of people are going to choose to go to cheaper state schools, so it is highly probably more than 27% of interviewees are accepted during the cycle.

Remember, a lot of people are going to choose to go to cheaper state schools, so it is highly probably more than 27% of interviewees are accepted during the cycle.
Ok, I'm not exactly following but let me see if I understand...Are you saying many people will get waitlisted and then pulled off for an acceptance but decline and that is why only 27% are accepted? 27% isnt the matriculation rate, it's the percentage reported for all students who got an acceptance offer after interviewing.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, I'm not exactly following but let me see if I understand...Are you saying many people will get waitlisted and then pulled off for an acceptance but decline and that is why only 27% are accepted? 27% isnt the matriculation rate, it's the percentage reported for all students who got an acceptance offer after interviewing.

i interpreted it as the later, meaning slim pickings.

i interpreted it as the later, meaning slim pickings.
Yes it's the latter which really is slim pickings hence why I'm trying so hard not to fall for this school too much bit currently failing

I believe that 27% represents those accepted at all, meaning those accepted outright and those pulled from the waitlist. Einstein super over interviews unfortunately.

Yeup I totally read that wrong and was thinking matriculation rate. My bad.. I wish it was matriculation though

I believe that 27% represents those accepted at all, meaning those accepted outright and those pulled from the waitlist. Einstein super over interviews unfortunately.

mt sinai does this too. i dont like it.

I think that percentage is a bit misleading because they accept people off the HPWL after asking if they are still interested.

I think that percentage is a bit misleading because they accept people off the HPWL after asking if they are still interested.
I don't get what you mean. That number also includes people pulled off the HPWL. It represents all the acceptance that the school gives out in a cycle regardless if the students actually matriculate there.

I don't get what you mean. That number also includes people pulled off the HPWL. It represents all the acceptance that the school gives out in a cycle regardless if the students actually matriculate there.
What he's saying is the people who are HPWL are asked if they are still interested. If they are not, then an acceptance is not offered even though it might have been. Acceptances are then only given to those who show interest in attending. Although it probably makes minimal difference, the acceptance rate would probably be higher if they outright accepted people off the HPWL rather than assess interest and then make the decision.

What he's saying is the people who are HPWL are asked if they are still interested. If they are not, then an acceptance is not offered even though it might have been. Acceptances are then only given to those who show interest in attending. Although it probably makes minimal difference, the acceptance rate would probably be higher if they outright accepted people off the HPWL rather than assess interest and then make the decision.
Okay I get what you're saying but I think that would change it minimally.

take this with a grain of salt because i was really grumpy all interview day, but i felt like they raved about this gym thing and it was just like a ymca except maybe smaller. the social life is probably enhanced bc most people live in the same building across from the school. they said that they rarely go into the city. the area around the hospital was kinda suburby, but they mentioned that there's a starbucks within walking distance, so there's that. overall it did not look like a "fun" place to be for 4 years.
Just thought I'd add my impression since I'm halfway through M1 now.

- Not sure why people raved about the gym? Generally I hear classmates complaining about the gym because it's rather small. Don't get your hopes up too much. We love it because it's included in our (extremely inexpensive) rent and it's RIGHT there! Very convenient.
-As far as going into the city is concerned, I'm there all the time. In fact, I was studying in a cafe in the UES today! Einstein has a shuttle to the 2/5, and you can take a quick bus ride to get to the 6. I like taking the express bus back at night because it drops you off right outside the apartments.
-The area immediately surrounding the school is fine. There's not a whole lot to do, but there's good Italian food, and you really don't need to be distracted on weekdays anyways. Trust me on this one.
Maybe if you're used to living in the heart of Manhattan, you wouldn't find this a "fun" place to live. But coming from elsewhere, this is amazing. I love spending my weekends exploring the city, and I LOVE living on campus. I'd be happy to answer questions anyone has about student life, etc. Just shoot me a PM :)

Reactions: 8 users
Just thought I'd add my impression since I'm halfway through M1 now.

- Not sure why people raved about the gym? Generally I hear classmates complaining about the gym because it's rather small. Don't get your hopes up too much. We love it because it's included in our (extremely inexpensive) rent and it's RIGHT there! Very convenient.
-As far as going into the city is concerned, I'm there all the time. In fact, I was studying in a cafe in the UES today! Einstein has a shuttle to the 2/5, and you can take a quick bus ride to get to the 6. I like taking the express bus back at night because it drops you off right outside the apartments.
-The area immediately surrounding the school is fine. There's not a whole lot to do, but there's good Italian food, and you really don't need to be distracted on weekdays anyways. Trust me on this one.
Maybe if you're used to living in the heart of Manhattan, you wouldn't find this a "fun" place to live. But coming from elsewhere, this is amazing. I love spending my weekends exploring the city, and I LOVE living on campus. I'd be happy to answer questions anyone has about student life, etc. Just shoot me a PM :)
Just curious, what was your experience in the post-interview process? How likely is someone to come off the HPWL?

are they still giving out interviews? if i haven't heard from them yet, should i assume i'll be rejected?

Nah, they give out interviews till march, I believe.
are they still giving out interviews? if i haven't heard from them yet, should i assume i'll be rejected?

Reactions: 2 users
In the last 3 years of this thread people got II way into march

Last year the acceptance emails were sent on February 5th. Feel like it's coming next week.

Does anyone know if Einstein is receptive to letters of interest? If so, how should they be sent? Via email? Thanks!

Does anyone know if Einstein is receptive to letters of interest? If so, how should they be sent? Via email? Thanks!

Yes, they welcome them! I called them to confirm back when I sent mine. I emailed mine to [email protected] as a written Word document. Hope this helps!

Do you think most of the acceptances would come out on the same day?

Well, I don't know about this year, but if you checked the thread of last year, the majority of the straight acceptances were sent on February 5th.

Literally me right now....
9836066.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
You already got the email?

No, for some reason they always put this page up before they even give out decisions. But for the last 2 years it been the first week of February... so it might be this week!

No, for some reason they always put this page up before they even give out decisions. But for the last 2 years it been the first week of February... so it might be this week!

OMG I thought you've got the email and had a major heart attack followed by depression. LOL. This waiting game could literally kill people.

OMG I thought you've got the email and had a major heart attack followed by depression. LOL. This waiting game could literally kill people.

lol I'm so sorry. I saw someone did the same thing in a previous cycle thread and thought it was a little funny. Couldn't help myself haha

Last edited:
I'm sorry!!! Hahahaha

lol I'm so sorry. I saw someone did the same thing in a previous cycle thread and thought it was a little funny. Couldn't help myself haha

That's fine, you got me.

Anyone else experience radio silence from the school? Also when I try to log in to the secondary application portal, it says the 2017 cycle is closed.. if that means a rejection please let me know. Otherwise I'll shuffle along.

Reactions: 5 users