2016-2017 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a Facebook group for accepted students? if so what is the group name?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Einstein true rolling admissions, batches, or random?
All of the above or none of the above. They even start sending out acceptances on Sundays . AECOM admissions system this year is one of the world's greatest mysteries.

Reactions: 4 users
All of the above or none of the above. They even start sending out acceptances on Sundays . AECOM admissions system this year is one of the world's greatest mysteries.
IMG_2144.GIF

Wow Sundays? I was enjoying taking a break from frantic email refreshing on the weekend. :/

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when we should expect to hear back from financial aid? For those accepted, be sure to hand in the questionnaire and your tax forms.

Sent a formal LOI to dean Kerrigan and she responded 4 minutes later...not sure if it's a good thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone sent in any pre-interview updates/LOI to the dean?

I sent a pre-II update about a week ago to the admissions office email, not the dean. They responded the next day saying that the info has been added to my file, but I haven't heard anything since then.

School is closed up tomorrow due to the huge snow storm that is predicted to hit NYC tomorrow so I wouldn't anticipate any news if I were you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when we should expect to hear back from financial aid? For those accepted, be sure to hand in the questionnaire and your tax forms.

I never received a questionnaire? Can you PM me that info?

For people who have an upcoming interview:

Is anyone else having trouble finding the instructions to request a "Special Interest Meeting"? I remember seeing it when I looked originally, but I swear it has been taken off the page... I could also be going crazy :) Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS Do most people partake in this?

Is anyone else having trouble finding the instructions to request a "Special Interest Meeting"? I remember seeing it when I looked originally, but I swear it has been taken off the page... I could also be going crazy :) Any help is greatly appreciated!

youre not going crazy. it did disappear for me a week or so before my interview. tbh mine and someone else's meeting didnt get scheduled.

edit: i also dont think many people partook in this

Maybe we hear tomorrow ......................MAybe

I had my interview in Dec. and I didn't do one.

I also got admitted.

The email from Einstein admissions about completing the survey nearly gave me a heart attack

Reactions: 2 users
The email from Einstein admissions about completing the survey nearly gave me a heart attack
I didn't get one. Are you waitlisted?

Are you talking the one given a week after your interview?

Last edited:
Does this year follow the same patterns of previous years? Or did they change something?

They just silenced the hpwl, but other things roughly followed the previous timeline. Or did I miss anything?

They normally release decisions in huge batches, that's gone. They also now start to give out acceptances on weekends which they didn't do in the past

I think it's debatable whether they really did away with the intention of the HPWL..there seems to be a separate batch of waitlists from which people were admitted which began with Status Update.

They normally release decisions in huge batches, that's gone. They also now start to give out acceptances on weekends which they didn't do in the past
Does there seem to be a consistent turnaround time though?

Do interviewers at this school always say they're gonna give a strong recommendation to committee? Trying not to get my hopes up.

Do interviewers at this school always say they're gonna give a strong recommendation to committee? Trying not to get my hopes up.
Hope for the best but expect the worst. They didn't just say that to be polite!

My interviewer said something similar and I was in the first batch of acceptances. My stats are on the low side for AECOM, so I was honestly expecting a WL even though my interview went great. I hope you hear good news soon!

My interviewer said something similar and I was in the first batch of acceptances. My stats are on the low side for AECOM, so I was honestly expecting a WL even though my interview went great. I hope you hear good news soon!
I hope so too! I really like this school.

Antthing local to the school, like in the Bronx, worth checking out? Or is it NYC or bust?

Antthing local to the school, like in the Bronx, worth checking out? Or is it NYC or bust?
Bronx is NYC. Bronx has alot of good food from immigrant countries and it's own night life but manhattan is where everything happens

How many of us received the "status update" email for the waitlist?

I only spent 1 day in the Bronx so I didn't really get to explore, but how safe is it compared to Brooklyn?

@Chelsea FC

Last edited:
Today marks 6 months since I interviewed and Im still completely in the dark as to what my status is...wtf Einstein :(

Edit: I sound like a whiny b**** lol sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Today marks 6 months since I interviewed and Im still completely in the dark as to what my status is...wtf Einstein :(
There's been quite a few rejections from more recent interview dates, they must be holding on for something. Keep your head up :)

Edit: I sound like a whiny b**** lol sorry
6 months is an incredibly long time to wait! i feel for you... i hope you get good news though!

I only spent 1 day in the Bronx so I didn't really get to explore, but how safe is it compared to Brooklyn?

@Chelsea FC

FWIW, I did not feel that safe in Brooklyn (1-2 day stay around Downstate), but the area around Einstein/Montefiore was very nice IMO. I had an off campus interview and the areas the shuttles went through also looked very safe. To me, it felt as safe as Manhattan.

FWIW, I did not feel that safe in Brooklyn (1-2 day stay around Downstate), but the area around Einstein/Montefiore was very nice IMO. I had an off campus interview and the areas the shuttles went through also looked very safe. To me, it felt as safe as Manhattan.
Ah, okay. I was in a different area of Brooklyn, next to Brooklyn Heights, so I felt safe the entire time (same w/ walking outside near Einstein).

I work at Einstein (research) but also applied here. I also live in Manhattan (upper east side). The campus of Einstein is generally safe - they have enough security around the buildings, and there is a shuttle that can take you between the different buildings (LIJ shuttle) as well as one that goes to the subway stop at E 180th street (where you can catch either a 2 or 5 train down to Manhattan). You can alternatively walk ~15 min to Westchester Square and take a 6 train to Manhattan. The Bronx is interesting and cool in it's own way -- visit little Italy near Fordham, or the Bronx Zoo, and you'll have lots of fun. However, the area around Einstein (not immediate vicinity, more like 10-30 min by foot away) is very bleak and very depressing in the wintertime (aka right now). Most of the buildings in the area are brown and brick, and there is not enough greenery/too much concrete. The tenements are old and the area has a slight feeling of being let go. However -- there is a small residential area within 15 min walk of Einstein that has nice houses with backyards and trees, so those of you admitted might consider that area if you want to live off-campus. Also, current students have told me that the general lack of interesting things to do in the Bronx tends to be a good thing, because in that regard Einstein is the happiest-looking place in the area and it would motivate you to study and focus on studying, rather than wanting to explore Manhattan (btw Manhattan makes a huge effort to make Christmastime feel special).

Back to safety -- people's cars on campus have been broken into lately, and a woman was assaulted during an evening run on campus this year. People that I work with worry about me leaving the lab really late at night and making it home ok. Then again, being out late in certain parts of Manhattan poses much higher risks of being robbed/assaulted. And the costs of living in the Bronx are much lower than in Manhattan.