2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question for students/accepted students (IS): will we hear anything about merit scholarships before the end of this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of people receiving merit scholarships as late as May, but when I was admitted in 2014, most of my friends heard back around March. Still, keep in mind that Baylor's standard tuition is already equivalent to getting a 50% scholarship at most other private schools!

Congrats to all those who heard the awesome news! Baylor is an incredible school and I absolutely love it here.

Quick question for students/accepted students (IS): will we hear anything about merit scholarships before the end of this year?

Last I heard merit scholarships could come in as early as 3-4 weeks after acceptance, but I think they go out until April/May still

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have advice for the interview here? This is one of my top choices, and I got a late interview date.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have advice for the interview here? This is one of my top choices, and I got a late interview date.
Be yourself. It's really just a conversation. Know what's in your application and be able to talk about it in a meaningful way. Be able to talk about your strengths and weaknesses. Be somewhat aware of what's going on in the world and healthcare. Have questions prepared.

Does anyone have a guesstimate for when the next round of calls come out?

Does anyone have a guesstimate for when the next round of calls come out?
From what I observed on last year's thread (atleast during the early rounds of acceptances), calls came once a week every tuesday.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So at what point should I give up hope for an interview? I turned in my secondary back in July and haven't heard anything yet

Reactions: 4 users
I'm interviewing at BCM on Friday. Has anyone who interviewed since Nov 15 heard back yet? I'd just like to get an idea of their turn-around time :) For those who might ask: I submitted my secondary pretty late, in mid October. II about a week and a half later.

Missed a call this morning from a Texas area code number (I'm OOS). Heart pounding, I called the number back.

It a random Texas radio station....ARE THEY TRYING TO TORTURE ME!?

What would you guys say is the threshold GPA above which Baylor doesn't care? In-state, future applicant.

Missed a call this morning from a Texas area code number (I'm OOS). Heart pounding, I called the number back.

It a random Texas radio station....ARE THEY TRYING TO TORTURE ME!?
Bcm is 713 798 xxxx

What would you guys say is the threshold GPA above which Baylor doesn't care? In-state, future applicant.

I don't know at what point they don't care. But my cGPA is a 3.7 and my sGPa is 3.6, and I got an interview. So you don't need a 3.9+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So if I am an OOS student and have not yet had an interview invite (with a 510 & 4.0) am I pretty much done for at this point? My expectations were low but still kinda curious

So if I am an OOS student and have not yet had an interview invite (with a 510 & 4.0) am I pretty much done for at this point? My expectations were low but still kinda curious
Baylor interviews through February, so there is still plenty of time to receive an invite :)

Accepted via phone call this morning! Interviewed early September, LizzyM ~ 78.

Reactions: 5 users
II today!
OOS. LM ~75. Complete since the middle of July. This one totally caught me off-guard.

Reactions: 2 users
II today. OOS. Lm ~78. I'm not going to attend, so hopefully one of you gets the spot!

interview invite today, OOS. one of my few out-of-state interviews :D

congrats to everyone! best of luck at your interviews

on a complete side note, starting to think that Baylor's statement in MSAR about being holistic in review and looking at all factors outside of "cognitive" and "book smarts" is a load of BS. Just looking at their stats from MSAR and the type of applicants they are interviewing off this thread seems to suggest that they REALLY like the high LizzyM applicants. I'm not sure why the schools would even make statements like that when they pretty clearly have high expectations statistically speaking. There's nothing wrong with it, but just wish they would be a little more honest

on a complete side note, starting to think that Baylor's statement in MSAR about being holistic in review and looking at all factors outside of "cognitive" and "book smarts" is a load of BS. Just looking at their stats from MSAR and the type of applicants they are interviewing off this thread seems to suggest that they REALLY like the high LizzyM applicants. I'm not sure why the schools would even make statements like that when they pretty clearly have high expectations statistically speaking. There's nothing wrong with it, but just wish they would be a little more honest
Literally every school says that.

by and large you seem correct, but for sake of being contrarian i don't have the highest lizzyM in the world

Literally every school says that.

true, but they were a little over the top in their description.

by and large you seem correct, but for sake of being contrarian i don't have the highest LizzyM in the world

woops, I saw you on a few other great school threads so I just assumed your LizzyM was pretty high, sorry about that! But rooting for ya nonetheless

woops, I saw you on a few other great school threads so I just assumed your LizzyM was pretty high, sorry about that! But rooting for ya nonetheless

thank you! same goes you for you

I wouldn't go off of samples from SDN too much. I have read that this website tends to draw people with high stats.
I have a LizzyM of 69-71 and Baylor still interviewed me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A comment about Lizzy M requirements...

An applicant asked me recently if I thought s/he could get an interview or get accepted with a 31 MCAT (sorry-- still used to the old scoring system!).
I replied that averages are just that...you might have other criteria that get you noticed, but in order for a school to average a certain high Lizzy M score for accepted applicants or actual matriculants, for every person accepted with exceptional research, or a compelling life story (but lower Lizzy M's), they must also accept someone with exceptionally high stats. Usually applications are first screened by staffers, so it is simply well harder to get noticed if you have an outlier, lower Lizzy M. This is necessarily true with ANY elite school.

BCM DOES accept some with lower than average Lizzy M's to be sure, so it is not "dishonest" to say that they consider factors beyond high Lizzy M's. Hey guys, it has been a top 5 school for Lizzy M averages among accepted applicants. You can have only so many exceptions among a class of 180 or so and still have a high Lizzy M average.

A subtle distinction...the schools often report the averages of their ACCEPTED applicants, versus their matriculants. Over half of those whom BCM accepts from OOS do NOT actually attend BCM (some surely go instead to Washington U, Harvard, or Hopkins, OR go attend their state schools on full scholarships), BUT their data are averaged among the averages for BCM accepted applicants. This distinction could be up to a half point or more in the prior MCAT scoring system. This is an arcane point, but not immaterial.

Ergo, your 512 (maybe even a 511), say, might get you an interview. After you get that interview, you have perhaps a 40% shot of an offer...might be lower % odds now post-interview, as they are interviewing more at BCM, while the class size remains the same. (See my posts otherwise about how to interview ANYWHERE or for ANY POSITION. It is a learned skill for most candidates.)

I have watched all of this for a few years here because I quickly realized that useful information was buried here on SDN when our daughter was applying way back for the 2012 entering class. I truly discovered BCM here...it was just a medical school "off yonder" initially to us over here in Georgia. Once I realized what an exceptional value it was all around (it blows away Emory, Vandy, Duke, and Washington U., J.H., Harvard, Stanford, etc., in sticker price costs...and even bests our public MCG), I got her to apply, and when she interviewed, we knew a fair amount about what to expect based on sedulous/attentive review of feedback here.

Should one apply to BCM with an outlier Lizzy M? ABSOLUTELY-- if you believe that you have other compelling criteria. THERE IS NO BETTER ALL-IN NET VALUE IN A MEDICAL SCHOOL, FOLKS.

Again, folks, interview invites will keep going out until at least the first of February...try to keep the faith! And trust me, you can interview in LATE February and still be accepted, and even get a nice scholarship toward already low costs versus other medical schools, perhaps even relative to your in-state public schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Do we have to apply for merit scholarships or are we considered for them automatically if accepted?