2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same, I'm OOS and heard nothing.
Just want to pop in here and say they definitely are considering OOS simultaneously! I heard back in January. Wishing you the best of luck! It's an uphill battle for us OOS people

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to pop in here and say they definitely are considering OOS simultaneously! I heard back in January. Wishing you the best of luck! It's an uphill battle for us OOS people
Same here! I'm OOS and heard in November. Good luck y'all!

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have already been accepted to other schools but are still waiting to hear back from Baylor, what steps have you taken in terms of housing, financial aid, etc for your current acceptances? I've been pretty hesitant on doing anything yet, but don't want to get too far behind should I not get accepted to Baylor.

Does anyone know how much emphasis the interview portion is on the Baylor application? I'm sort of worried about that. As time goes on, I feel like my errors during the interview seem to grow exponentially. I really like it there, but if the interview is worth a huge chunk of the final evaluation, I'm growing more and more anxious about it....I really hope the rest of the application carries more weight. ><

Does anyone know how much emphasis the interview portion is on the Baylor application? I'm sort of worried about that. As time goes on, I feel like my errors during the interview seem to grow exponentially. I really like it there, but if the interview is worth a huge chunk of the final evaluation, I'm growing more and more anxious about it....I really hope the rest of the application carries more weight. ><
I feel the same way. But I'm still hopeful! I feel like it's somewhat normal to become more critical of one's performance as time goes on. Hang in there!

I feel the same way. But I'm still hopeful! I feel like it's somewhat normal to become more critical of one's performance as time goes on. Hang in there!
Yeah, but man, whenever I get a friend or relative asking me if I've heard good news yet, I feel like I'm watching my favorite GoT character die over and over again.

I remember the Dean saying that we're all ranked after our interview, then are accepted based on that ranking. I doubt the ranking changes after the interview.

That begs the question... why don't they just let us know? Interviews are over so why don't they just accept the top x (where x = number of seats) and then pull from the waitlist? I see a lot of people complaining about the wait for other top schools to release decisions but man at least they give you a date. Baylor just strings you along for months.

Reactions: 1 users
That begs the question... why don't they just let us know? Interviews are over so why don't they just accept the top x (where x = number of seats) and then pull from the waitlist? I see a lot of people complaining about the wait for other top schools to release decisions but man at least they give you a date. Baylor just strings you along for months.

A lot of schools do this, I hate it.

Because there are some students who will wait til the April 30 deadline to decide among their offers. Hence the typical WL movement in late April and early May

Because there are some students who will wait til the April 30 deadline to decide among their offers. Hence the typical WL movement in late April and early May

Right but they haven't even filled their class yet. Obviously some people will drop later on. I just don't see the logic in not having a full class right now, when they've interviewed and ranked everybody. Last year they were still filling their class in April which is crazy -- AAMC recommends that schools offer a full class's worth of acceptances by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, you know how when people decide to start dieting or going to the gym, they post about the goal so that it will prompt them to stick to it more? Well, I'm inventing a goal for all the med schools:
We, all med schools, promise to get back to all students without hesitation as absolutely early as possible. And a ton of people in Baylor will get good news in March!

Right but they haven't even filled their class yet. Obviously some people will drop later on. I just don't see the logic in not having a full class right now, when they've interviewed and ranked everybody. Last year they were still filling their class in April which is crazy -- AAMC recommends that schools offer a full class's worth of acceptances by now.
How do you know they haven't filled the class yet?

OOS, MCAT 31; GPA = 3.81, interviewed in December, what are the odds ...?

How do you know they haven't filled the class yet?

Can't say 100% but the FB group is tiny compared to last year, people were told the majority of acceptances are in March, and historically even in April/May (look at last years' thread) people were told the class was not yet full. They may have filled it but I would be very surprised.

I sent in an update a while back, do you guys think I should send a LOI now or wait and see if I am WL'ed? If it helps I got into a higher ranked med school now but I would rather go here...I don't know if med schools see other acceptances though? OOS if it matters.

I sent in an update a while back, do you guys think I should send a LOI now or wait and see if I am WL'ed? If it helps I got into a higher ranked med school now but I would rather go here...I don't know if med schools see other acceptances though? OOS if it matters.
They do see other acceptances.

So....any more acceptances? It seems March hasn't yielded that many yet.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been notified about a merit scholarship?

edit: Looks like not really from past posts, with the exception of one person

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been notified about a merit scholarship?

edit: Looks like not really from past posts, with the exception of one person
I only know of one person who has a scholarship. I got accepted one month ago and I still have not heard anything in terms of a merit scholarship (I'm IS btw).

Also, apparently many out of state schools are releasing acceptances this week, so I'd imagine that Baylor would too? Also, they seem to make decisions on a Friday then have acceptance calls go out the following week. I noticed my status change on the File Check page happen around 1 PM, got the call just before 5 PM on a Wednesday.

Baylor's admissions staff needs to step it up--not only is the lack of communication and long wait time frustrating, I also found their student-led interview day to be the most half-assed. When a similarly ranked school like UTSW offers amazing 2-day interviews, earlier acceptances, constant email communication, and a comprehensive second look program, Baylor is way behind.

I just wanted to clarify I'm talking about their admissions staff and not the entire school, which I understand are completely separate things. But the admissions process makes a huge impression on prospective students, and in a time when all schools offer pretty much the same curriculum, it is a crucial distinguishing factor. Baylor has been coasting by on its (rightfully earned) reputation while other medical schools are working harder to present their unique selling points.

Rant over. Baylor, I still love you and please accept me. But step your game up.

Reactions: 3 users
Baylor's admissions staff needs to step it up--not only is the lack of communication and long wait time frustrating, I also found their student-led interview day to be the most half-assed. When a similarly ranked school like UTSW offers amazing 2-day interviews, earlier acceptances, constant email communication, and a comprehensive second look program, Baylor is way behind.

I just wanted to clarify I'm talking about their admissions staff and not the entire school, which I understand are completely separate things. But the admissions process makes a huge impression on prospective students, and in a time when all schools offer pretty much the same curriculum, it is a crucial distinguishing factor. Baylor has been coasting by on its (rightfully earned) reputation while other medical schools are working harder to present their unique selling points.

Rant over. Baylor, I still love you and please accept me. But step your game up.

100% this. There is no excuse for the lengthy post-interview silence. I would be fine with a waitlist but the complete silence is really frustrating.

That being said, seems like based on historical trends there should be acceptances going out this week/next week? :xf:

100% this. There is no excuse for the lengthy post-interview silence. I would be fine with a waitlist but the complete silence is really frustrating.

That being said, seems like based on historical trends there should be acceptances going out this week/next week? :xf:
I second those crossed fingers.

I feel like it's important to note that Baylor casts a much wider net than UTSW (Baylor accepts "25-30% out of state students" according to their website while UTSW is restricted to 10%). Talking to out of state students, it seems like other highly ranked programs are barely sending out the bulk of their decisions this week (this is evident in part by my rejection letters from a few schools...thanks, Harvard lol). "Baylor College of Medicine received 7,587 applications and interviewed 847 applicants for 186 positions in the 2016 entering class," (From Baylor's website). I tried to find similar data on the UTSW page but gave up after a few minutes.On a different website (http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/21/University-of-Texas-Southwestern-Medical-Center-at-Dallas) I found that 834 people interviewed at UTSw and 226 were accepted. So, it seems like Baylor interviews more people for fewer spots and even more of those people are out of state and have likely applied to more out of state schools. Out of state schools have a longer admissions timeline than Texas schools do. So it seems like it's just a numbers game :/

I've seen a few comments about Baylor's "long silence" on this thread and previous years' threads so I thought I'd throw this out there for us now and people who apply next year that lurk on the page.

I'd also agree that the interview day experience at Baylor was the total opposite of UTSW. I definitely felt a little weirder about the noon-evening interview schedule.

I feel like it's important to note that Baylor casts a much wider net than UTSW (Baylor accepts "25-30% out of state students" according to their website while UTSW is restricted to 10%). Talking to out of state students, it seems like other highly ranked programs are barely sending out the bulk of their decisions this week (this is evident in part by my rejection letters from a few schools...thanks, Harvard lol). "Baylor College of Medicine received 7,587 applications and interviewed 847 applicants for 186 positions in the 2016 entering class," (From Baylor's website). I tried to find similar data on the UTSW page but gave up after a few minutes.On a different website (http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/21/University-of-Texas-Southwestern-Medical-Center-at-Dallas) I found that 834 people interviewed at UTSw and 226 were accepted. So, it seems like Baylor interviews more people for fewer spots and even more of those people are out of state and have likely applied to more out of state schools. Out of state schools have a longer admissions timeline than Texas schools do. So it seems like it's just a numbers game :/

I've seen a few comments about Baylor's "long silence" on this thread and previous years' threads so I thought I'd throw this out there for us now and people who apply next year that lurk on the page.

I'd also agree that the interview day experience at Baylor was the total opposite of UTSW. I definitely felt a little weirder about the noon-evening interview schedule.

One key difference though is that other highly-ranked schools have a clear date when they'll let you know by, and a clear decision on that date (accept/waitlist/reject). A long wait isn't unusual. It's the long wait with no end in sight that's unusual.

One key difference though is that other highly-ranked schools have a clear date when they'll let you know by, and a clear decision on that date (accept/waitlist/reject). A long wait isn't unusual. It's the long wait with no end in sight that's unusual.
That's true. Baylor should have something other than the AMCAS-mandated deadline for waitlist notification that people can expect.

Accepted!!!! Got the call around 1 pm today, interviewed in Aug. weirdly enough did not get the status change in the portal

It's been such a long wait since I've interviewed that it feels so surreal
I am way too happy ahhh

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!!! Got the call around 1 pm today, interviewed in Aug. weirdly enough did not get the status change in the portal

It's been such a long wait since I've interviewed that it feels so surreal
I am way too happy ahhh
Omg congrats!!!!!!

This, so much. I have not had a good impression of the admissions process. It feels political, with all this yield protection going on and getting waitlisted everywhere.

WTH only one person posted acceptance from Baylor? What's going on?

WTH only one person posted acceptance from Baylor? What's going on?

Yeah typically all the calls go out the same day right? I guess we can wait and see if any go out today. People said March was the big wave so I would have expected more than one.

Here is a happy Harry Potter fact to cheer some of you up.
"I am Lord Voldemort" rearranges to spell, "Mr. Tom, A Dildo Lover."

Reactions: 1 users
Got the call an hour ago. Accepted!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
the people it "doesn't" happen for probably just miss it

Wait I definitely checked the day I was accepted though, and nothing had changed. The change only just happened for me today :O

So for those of you who don't see the status change, keep the hope alive !! Sending you all the luck <3

Did anyone else get accepted besides those 2? Please post if you did!

So for OOS students, are we allowed to change and claim TX residency for years 2-4 and pay IS tuition?

So for OOS students, are we allowed to change and claim TX residency for years 2-4 and pay IS tuition?

Update: According to the Non-Resident acknowledgment you can during MS2. Anyone know if this is commonly done/easy to do?

Update: According to the Non-Resident acknowledgment you can during MS2. Anyone know if this is commonly done/easy to do?
I think it's very common. I think the only way to do it is to own property, though. So many students will purchase a condo in Texas so they can establish residency for year 2.