2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 2nd here. Thinking of doing the same thing. Let me know what they say please :)! Either PM me or posting here would be fine. Thanks and best of luck to both of us. Fingers crossed!

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed the week of 11/14 and they said they're a little behind and also take couple days off for thanksgiving, for what it's worth!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed the week of 11/14 and they said they're a little behind and also take couple days off for thanksgiving, for what it's worth!

Thanks for the heads-up! I suspected that the holidays may back things up a bit. The wait is killing me thooooo.

Goodluck to you man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads-up! I suspected that the holidays may back things up a bit. The wait is killing me thooooo.

Goodluck to you man.
Same to you! It's only been a week since I interviewed and it's already driving me crazy haha hopefully we'll all have good news soon

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed Nov 4th. I might call monday

So. Change of plans. I'm kinda on the fence about calling today. I was going to call this morning but then I thought that if I was accepted I would then proceed to ugly cry in front of every patient in this hospital which probably isn't a good look. lol I've got cold feet so if anybody decides to call and the decisions are out let me know. Might change my mind

So. Change of plans. I'm kinda on the fence about calling today. I was going to call this morning but then I thought that if I was accepted I would then proceed to ugly cry in front of every patient in this hospital which probably isn't a good look. lol I've got cold feet so if anybody decides to call and the decisions are out let me know. Might change my mind

Hahah. They would be tears of happiness though! Patients would be happy for you and might crack a smile. In that case, you would be helping them out by making their hospital visit more enjoyable/bearable!

I hear you though. I think all of us will probably shed a tear or two when/if we hear those words of acceptance from a program. I know I would!

Hahah. They would be tears of happiness though! Patients would be happy for you and might crack a smile. In that case, you would be helping them out by making their hospital visit more enjoyable/bearable!

I hear you though. I think all of us will probably shed a tear or two when/if we hear those words of acceptance from a program. I know I would!

So I ended up calling as soon as I got off. No decision has been made yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I ended up calling as soon as I got off. No decision has been made yet.

Aww shucks :(. Figured as much though. As a previous poster indicated, as well as the last few application year cycles, things such as decision releases tend to slow around the holidays. However with Thanksgiving weekend now over, things should perk up for a few weeks leading in to December. Hang in there. We will find out soon enough. Until then, fingers crossed!!!!!!

For those that interviewed, what did you say in your thank you's to the committee and the admin office? Did you send an email or an actual letter? I'm wondering what to do here! Thanks!

When does EV stop sending Interview Invites if you are still in the running what are the chances to get a II?

When does EV stop sending Interview Invites if you are still in the running what are the chances to get a II?

We interview through March so hypothetically you could get IIs through the end of February, maybe early March.

One of my top choices, still patiently waiting for II

Waitlisted. Kinda bummed but at least it's not a rejection. Does anyone know what the chances are for an IS applicant to get accepted off the wait list? I figured that it's lower than that for OS because IS applicants are more likely to end up matriculating but I wonder how many IS applicants are waitlisted vs how many are accepted off the list. Also, any suggestions on how to move up on the wait list? I've heard mixed reactions to letters of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted. Kinda bummed but at least it's not a rejection. Does anyone know what the chances are for an IS applicant to get accepted off the wait list? I figured that it's lower than that for OS because IS applicants are more likely to end up matriculating but I wonder how many IS applicants are waitlisted vs how many are accepted off the list. Also, any suggestions on how to move up on the wait list? I've heard mixed reactions to letters of interest.

Sorry about that. I heard that it's easier for OOS to get off the waitlist but from previous threads it looks like IS have been accepted off the waitlist from all thirds so keep hope!

May I ask when did you interview and how did you find out?

Sorry about that. I heard that it's easier for OOS to get off the waitlist but from previous threads it looks like IS have been accepted off the waitlist from all thirds so keep hope!

May I ask when did you interview and how did you find out?

I interviewed early November and found out today via email.

I interviewed early nov as well but nothing yet. Wondering if I should call. Best of luck in your cycle thou

I'd probably wait till next week before calling since they're probably a bit behind schedule due to Thanksgiving. And thanks! Best of luck to you too!

The best chances for an IS candidate to be accepted off the waitlist is if you're in the top 1/3. Again, there is a possibility from the mid and lower thirds but the chances are slim. EVMS pulls candidates from the waitlist who are similar to the acceptee who withdrew. There could be a variety of things looked at--demographics, gender, similar medical/volunteer experiences, etc. when looking for said similar applicant.

I want to clarify that there is NO movement on the waitlist--once you are placed in a third, you stay there. There are also too many waitlisted candidates to be constantly ranking everyone up/down the list within the third. Sending in updates/letters of interest or intent at this point do not hurt you as long as you're writing brand new content or significant updates with each letter. Letters and updates are rarely read (again, due to the sheer number of people on the waitlist) but they will be added to your file and if you are in a pool of candidates to be considered for acceptance, they may read your additional files.

If you guys have any questions regarding the EVMS process, feel free to reach out to me or @mcatjelly -OR- call the admissions office! The office is SUPER NICE and they try their absolute best to answer your questions to the best of their ability. (I got to know the admissions office very well since I called so many times during my cycle to the point where they know who I am and I even stop by and say hi to them once in a while lol)

Reactions: 4 users
They do accept updates and letters of interest/intent in the sense that they will be added to your file but they may not be necessarily read (just send an email to one of the three emails posted on the admissions page: https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/doctor_of_medicine/contact_us/). There are way too many people on the waitlist for them to go through every single update but if you're in a pool of possible candidates to be considered for an acceptance offer, they may look at your updates and letters of interest/intent. Sending additional information to be added to your file will not change your third on the waitlist either.

With that said, PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SENDING A LETTER OF INTEREST VS. A LETTER OF INTENT. Interest = not accepted to any other school vs. intent = accepted elsewhere but would prefer to go to this school over the accepted school. If you send a "letter of intent" without any acceptances, you will come across as desperate. (feel free to pm me if you need further clarification on the difference)

Hope this helps!

Accepted. OOS. Interviewed Nov. 2nd. Invited Sep. 23. Complete Sep. 9. LizzyM 68 (90th+ Percentile MCAT). Notified by email.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted by email. Interviewed Nov 2nd. :( :( :(

@rukia013 @mcatjelly Question for those familiar with EVMS admissions: The waitlist doesn't start to move / be touched by admissions until Interview season ends around March, correct?? Or do they pull from it throughout the entire cycle as accepted people withdraw their acceptances?

Last edited:
Waitlisted by email. Interviewed Nov 2nd. :( :( :(

@rukia013 @mcatjelly Question for those familiar with EVMS admissions: The waitlist doesn't start to move / be touched by admissions until Interview season ends around March, correct?? Or do they pull from it throughout the entire cycle as accepted people withdraw their acceptances?
I believe there can be SOME movement prior to the spring but it's rare (again, just speculating based on last year's thread) due to the way we rank our candidates post-interview. Most of the movement occurs in the spring though, unfortunately. In the mean time, if you have any new updates to add to your file, feel free to send them to the office of admissions!

I believe there can be SOME movement prior to the spring but it's rare (again, just speculating based on last year's thread) due to the way we rank our candidates post-interview. Most of the movement occurs in the spring though, unfortunately. In the mean time, if you have any new updates to add to your file, feel free to send them to the office of admissions!

Will do. I want to attend this school so badly!! I need to find something to beef up my resume more so I can send an update with something of substance. Ideally It will also be something that I WANT to do as well (i've always been against the idea of beefing an app / filling with experiences that don't interest someone just to woo adcoms).

Would you recommend I sent a letter of intent/interest as well? Do you think these things even help? I browsed last year's thread a bit and it seems a lot of people came off of the waitlist by not doing anything at all. No updates, no comms- just randomly received acceptances as time went on.

Will do. I want to attend this school so badly!! I need to find something to beef up my resume more so I can send an update with something of substance. Ideally It will also be something that I WANT to do as well (i've always been against the idea of beefing an app / filling with experiences that don't interest someone just to woo adcoms).

Would you recommend I sent a letter of intent/interest as well? Do you think these things even help? I browsed last year's thread a bit and it seems a lot of people came off of the waitlist by not doing anything at all. No updates, no comms- just randomly received acceptances as time went on.

To supplement my previous posts (see quoted posts below), if you plan to send a letter of intent/interest, it should also be something well-thought out. You can talk about what impressed you about the interview day, why you feel the school is a good fit, how you would contribute to the incoming class, etc. In terms of finding things to add as updates, they could be one-time/short-term activities as well ie. helping out with soup kitchen, offering to help get groceries for an elderly neighbor, babysitting, etc. If you have an ongoing activity and something new happens, you can count that as an "update" if you learned something from it or gained a skill that you didn't mention in your original application. Basically, with your updates you want to elaborate on how it makes you a good candidate for med school and why it will enable you to be a great doctor.

Due to the nature of the selection process, it's not uncommon that someone will come off the waitlist without having submitted any updates or letters of intent/interest--these could be people who were borderline between an acceptance and waitlist so once a seat opened, they were made the offer. However, if the committee is trying to decide between a pool of applicants, it doesn't hurt to have additional files to your name as it shows continued interest.

Sending in updates/letters of interest or intent at this point do not hurt you as long as you're writing brand new content or significant updates with each letter. Letters and updates are rarely read (again, due to the sheer number of people on the waitlist) but they will be added to your file and if you are in a pool of candidates to be considered for acceptance, they may read your additional files.

With that said, PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SENDING A LETTER OF INTEREST VS. A LETTER OF INTENT. Interest = not accepted to any other school vs. intent = accepted elsewhere but would prefer to go to this school over the accepted school. If you send a "letter of intent" without any acceptances, you will come across as desperate.

To supplement my previous posts (see quoted posts below), if you plan to send a letter of intent/interest, it should also be something well-thought out. You can talk about what impressed you about the interview day, why you feel the school is a good fit, how you would contribute to the incoming class, etc. In terms of finding things to add as updates, they could be one-time/short-term activities as well ie. helping out with soup kitchen, offering to help get groceries for an elderly neighbor, babysitting, etc. If you have an ongoing activity and something new happens, you can count that as an "update" if you learned something from it or gained a skill that you didn't mention in your original application. Basically, with your updates you want to elaborate on how it makes you a good candidate for med school and why it will enable you to be a great doctor.

Due to the nature of the selection process, it's not uncommon that someone will come off the waitlist without having submitted any updates or letters of intent/interest--these could be people who were borderline between an acceptance and waitlist so once a seat opened, they were made the offer. However, if the committee is trying to decide between a pool of applicants, it doesn't hurt to have additional files to your name as it shows continued interest.

You are a good guy! Thanks for all the information and help. Kudoss

Withdrew and cancelled my Interview here.

Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew and cancelled my Interview here.

Hope it goes to one of you!

A good friend of mine just received an II here about an hour ago for this Wednesday. Perhaps your interview went to her! Either way, good karma to bow out if you have no intent to attend. Right on.

A good friend of mine just received an II here about an hour ago for this Wednesday. Perhaps your interview went to her! Either way, good karma to bow out if you have no intent to attend. Right on.
Yes, that was probably mine, I am glad she got it ! Good Luck to her and everyone else !

Do you have to go around outside for the tour? I'm interviewing here later this month and don't really know how to dress for the cold! (California applicant, I probably have a poor understanding of winter heh)

Any tips for not freezing? :)

Do you have to go around outside for the tour? I'm interviewing here later this month and don't really know how to dress for the cold! (California applicant, I probably have a poor understanding of winter heh)

There is a little bit of a walk outside, but its probably less than 2-3 minutes. I think you will spend as much if not more time walking from your car if you park in the parking deck than during the tour.
As for what to wear hopefully a female poster can help you out cause I am not sure what I would suggest.

There is a little bit of a walk outside, but its probably less than 2-3 minutes. I think you will spend as much if not more time walking from your car if you park in the parking deck than during the tour.
As for what to wear hopefully a female poster can help you out cause I am not sure what I would suggest.

Ah, thank you!

Ah, thank you!

Also is it a friday or wednesday interview?
Because the friday interview tour is the children's hospital which is just directly across the street and is even less of a walk than I mentioned.

Also is it a friday or wednesday interview?
Because the friday interview tour is the children's hospital which is just directly across the street and is even less of a walk than I mentioned.

I'm on Friday! So that's good to hear ^_^ thanks for all the info, I appreciate it! :D

I was on an interview last week that had a bit of walking outside in the cold (not here, another school). I just brought my formal-ish looking wool peacoat. I still wore a skirt suit and heels and personally felt fine. Wear a pant suit if you're especially worried about getting cold! :D

II!! Submitted mid September - will interview January 13th. There is hope for all you procrastinators out there!

They do accept updates and letters of interest/intent in the sense that they will be added to your file but they may not be necessarily read (just send an email to one of the three emails posted on the admissions page: https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/doctor_of_medicine/contact_us/). There are way too many people on the waitlist for them to go through every single update but if you're in a pool of possible candidates to be considered for an acceptance offer, they may look at your updates and letters of interest/intent. Sending additional information to be added to your file will not change your third on the waitlist either.

With that said, PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SENDING A LETTER OF INTEREST VS. A LETTER OF INTENT. Interest = not accepted to any other school vs. intent = accepted elsewhere but would prefer to go to this school over the accepted school. If you send a "letter of intent" without any acceptances, you will come across as desperate. (feel free to pm me if you need further clarification on the difference)

Hope this helps!

Can I send letter of interest in the hope of obtaining an II? Submitted secondary on 8/1 and have not heard. OOS

Can I send letter of interest in the hope of obtaining an II? Submitted secondary on 8/1 and have not heard. OOS

I could be wrong, but I do not believe they accept pre-interview updates. I could be wrong and someone can feel free to correct me, you could also call and ask admissions if they accept pre-interview updates, they are very friendly people.

So hopefully someone has an answer to my question. I just called the admissions office to check on my status (complete July 15th, IS, good stats, complete silence) and the lady I talked to said that my application had been reviewed, but I had not been "tapped for an interview yet". She then said she would go talk to the Dean and call me back (which I'm not sure how long will take hence why I'm asking SDN). Did this happen to anyone? Was I put on hold or did I fall through the cracks or something?

is EVMS receptive to update letters? and if so, did you upload it via the portal or just email the admissions staff directly?

is EVMS receptive to update letters? and if so, did you upload it via the portal or just email the admissions staff directly?
Update letters are welcome; just be sure to email them directly to any of the 3 admissions contacts listed on the site since they do NOT check the portal after the initial download of your supplemental files.

Update letters are welcome; just be sure to email them directly to any of the 3 admissions contacts listed on the site since they do NOT check the portal after the initial download of your supplemental files.

Thank you so much!

i know its early but when do yall think the 11/16 and 11/18 interview groups should start to hear back? another 2ish weeks?

kind of a random question, but does anyone know if they make a facebook group for admitted students?