2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kind of a random question, but does anyone know if they make a facebook group for admitted students?

I was going to ask at the webinar tomorrow, although I did go ahead and request to join the one that @mcatjelly linked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Webinar?

Email from Dr. Kimble:

We are hosting a webinar for our accepted students on this Thursday, December 8, 2016 from 5-6pm. A few faculty and current medical students are going to discuss life at EVMS including our curriculum, Service Learning, and campus climate. There will also be time for you to ask questions.

Email from Dr. Kimble:

We are hosting a webinar for our accepted students on this Thursday, December 8, 2016 from 5-6pm. A few faculty and current medical students are going to discuss life at EVMS including our curriculum, Service Learning, and campus climate. There will also be time for you to ask questions.

I literally just got the email lol. Is this only for accepted students?

What is the point of separating the wait list into thirds if students aren't accepted in that type of order (Upper, then middle, then lower)?

What is the point of separating the wait list into thirds if students aren't accepted in that type of order (Upper, then middle, then lower)?

How it works for the most part is that they do indeed accept students off of the waitlist in that order....but only after they find the right 'type' of student. The way schools operate with this is that there is practice of selecting the same 'type' of student off of the waitlist as the person who withdrew their acceptance. This practice takes priority over where you sit in the waitlist.

For example, let's say an OOS 3.82 GPA / 33 MCAT URM (AA female) that is a 1st generation college student and comes from a family income of <$30k combined withdraws her EVMS acceptance because the COA is high. What EVMS will do is go down the waitlist (going in order, from upper 1/3 to lower 1/3) until they find a student on the waitlist that matches the same stats (3.80 / 30-33 mcat, URM / AA female, 1st gen, etc). If this student is found in the middle 1/3 or the lower 1/3, then EVMS will pick that student over, let's say, a ORM male in the upper 1/3 with completely different stats, OOS/IS, generation lvl, etc

As you can see in the above example, the waitlisted applicant's position on the waitlist matters, but only after priority of other things is taken into account. Another example that clarifies this further would be if there were two identical students that match a withdrawn applicant's stats, but one lies in the mid 1/3 and the other in the lower 1/3. EVMS is obviously going to pick the mid 1/3 one that matches the 'type' of person over the lower 1/3 that also matches the 'type'. So you can clearly see position matters.

Hope this clarifies any confusion you or anyone else had. If someone else that knows more about the process can add more information or edit something incorrect I stated, please feel free to chime in and correct me.

TLDR; there is a point as position on the WL does matter, it just isn't as important as other selection criteria that take priority

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How it works for the most part is that they do indeed accept students off of the waitlist in that order....but only after they find the right 'type' of student. The way schools operate with this is that there is practice of selecting the same 'type' of student off of the waitlist as the person who withdrew their acceptance. This practice takes priority over where you sit in the waitlist.

For example, let's say an OOS 3.82 GPA / 33 MCAT URM (AA female) that is a 1st generation college student and comes from a family income of <$30k combined withdraws her EVMS acceptance because the COA is high. What EVMS will do is go down the waitlist (going in order, from upper 1/3 to lower 1/3) until they find a student on the waitlist that matches the same stats (3.80 / 30-33 mcat, URM / AA female, 1st gen, etc). If this student is found in the middle 1/3 or the lower 1/3, then EVMS will pick that student over, let's say, a ORM male in the upper 1/3 with completely different stats, OOS/IS, generation lvl, etc

As you can see in the above example, the waitlisted applicant's position on the waitlist matters, but only after priority of other things is taken into account. Another example that clarifies this further would be if there were two identical students that match a withdrawn applicant's stats, but one lies in the mid 1/3 and the other in the lower 1/3. EVMS is obviously going to pick the mid 1/3 one that matches the 'type' of person over the lower 1/3 that also matches the 'type'. So you can clearly see position matters.

Hope this clarifies any confusion you or anyone else had. If someone else that knows more about the process can add more information or edit something incorrect I stated, please feel free to chime in and correct me.

TLDR; there is a point as position on the WL does matter, it just isn't as important as other selection criteria that take priority
Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

You're welcome!

I wish things were different and an applicant's position on the waitlist/alternate list was the only factor (or at least the factor with the highest priority) as this method would make waitlist movement most fair, but I can see why it isn't strictly done this way from a school's perspective. It helps ensure diversity is preserved as adcoms carefully select applicants for a highly diverse class.

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing this Friday who might want to split transportation with me? or can anyone comment on the reliability of Norfolk taxis/uber?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing this Friday who might want to split transportation with me? or can anyone comment on the reliability of Norfolk taxis/uber?

I think a good number of interviewees use Uber; I'm using Uber myself to get to the airport when this semester's over in a week :)

i know its early but when do yall think the 11/16 and 11/18 interview groups should start to hear back? another 2ish weeks?
I interviewed on Nov 18th and haven't heard back yet either. They did say they were behind.

I interviewed on Nov 18th and haven't heard back yet either. They did say they were behind.
True! I'm just being impatient haha hopefully we will hear before Christmas!

So I interviewed on 11/2 and still haven't heard back, so it's been about 6 weeks now post-interview. Any others who interviewed around this day experiencing this agonizing wait? Do you think that this would be a good time to call and check on my status, or should I wait some more?

So I interviewed on 11/2 and still haven't heard back, so it's been about 6 weeks now post-interview. Any others who interviewed around this day experiencing this agonizing wait? Do you think that this would be a good time to call and check on my status, or should I wait some more?

I'd call.

Just called admissions. After being reviewed I was not tapped for an interview yet. She said at this point it's not likely I will be, since they have already tapped so many students for future interview invites to be sent. FML.. looks like I will be a reapplicant.

Just called admissions. After being reviewed I was not tapped for an interview yet. She said at this point it's not likely I will be, since they have already tapped so many students for future interview invites to be sent. FML.. looks like I will be a reapplicant.
What does tapped mean?

Do they like it when students email to ask about their status? Does it show interest or impatience I can never tell...

What does tapped mean?

Do they like it when students email to ask about their status? Does it show interest or impatience I can never tell...
Tapped is when they have given the go ahead to invite you for an interview. They give out these interview invites in batches, so you might not get it right away. The admissions office is really friendly and I saw on previous threads that people called, so I don't think it's bad. I don't know about email though. I just wanted to know where I stand so I can start planning my approach to improve my application for next cycle.

I would still retain some hope. If you look at last year's thread, some people who were on "hold" pre-II and were told similar things, were still invited for an interview. And as the cycle goes on, some of the already tapped individuals may withdraw or turn down their II. I don't want to be overly optimistic but if you aren't rejected yet, the possibility might still be there!
I certainly hope so! At least now I will focus on improving my app instead of waiting around for news. If I get an interview, it will be a welcomed surprise! I really love this school!

What does tapped mean?

Adcom 1: "Gosh, I really hate that this kid calls/emails us once every 2 weeks."

Adcom 2: "Yea, its like s/he actually wants to come here, how rude!"

Adcom 1: "S/he is the worst, let's black-list them on AMCAS. That'll show them..."

Said literally no one ever. As long as you're polite and respectful when you speak to them, you'll have no issues (esp. at EVMS).

Has anyone from the Nov. 11th interview heard back yet?

Does anyone have a link to check the application status, other than the confirmation post on the secondary app? Or is everything via email?

Does anyone have a link to check the application status, other than the confirmation post on the secondary app? Or is everything via email?

There is no application status past complete. Everything else is through email.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there's a way to check. Everything's by email

Has anyone from the Nov. 11th interview heard back yet?
i interviewed 11/18 and know a friend from 11/11 who hasnt heard back yet. FWIW, i browsed the thread from last year and looked at this time of year and they sent out some decisions the week leading up to Christmas for interviews that happened in mid Nov and even early Dec...not sure if that will be the case this year but thought I'd let yall know!

Reactions: 2 users
Now that finals are over.....if any current student wants to slide in my messages and give me insight on their experience at this school that would be great

I called EVMS admissions today and I haven't had a decision. I interviewed November 18th.

Reactions: 1 users
I called EVMS admissions today and I haven't had a decision. I interviewed November 18th.
Did they give you some sort of timeline as to when to expect to hear back?

Yeah no problem, I was complete early August so there is hope!

I also called today and interviewed the 18th. No decision but I was told that there are two committees and one is ahead of the other. She said to call back later in the week so maybe I'll call again Friday.

I tried calling to schedule my interview but it went to voicemail saying nobody is available what time did you call if you don't mind me asking ?

I tried calling to schedule my interview but it went to voicemail saying nobody is available what time did you call if you don't mind me asking ?

I called around noon EST. 757 446-5812.

Anyone know if they're receptive to pre-II updates?

Anyone know if they're receptive to pre-II updates?

I know you can send it to one of the admissions emails and they should send you a confirmation saying your file has been updated. I would guess the expressed interest could only help your chances if you did. Have you called? They seem to flag people for interviews and hold on to them occasionally. Either way the admissions team is generally pretty helpful and transparent here. I've been annoying them on a bimonthly basis since October haha.

I also called today and interviewed the 18th. No decision but I was told that there are two committees and one is ahead of the other. She said to call back later in the week so maybe I'll call again Friday.
Hmm I'm hoping we hear back before Christmas but I feel like if we don't hear this week then we'll have to wait till after holidays

Hey all,

I called a few days ago, and they told me the committee was pretty far behind. Interviewed 11/30, and they told me they'd get back to us after the new year