2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined interview as I am accepted in-state in my home state. I truly hope others have a great opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I have my interview coming up, does anyone have any tips/words of wisdom? Should I be expecting to be grilled with ethical questions? Were there any (and to what degree) questions regarding healthcare policy? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I have my interview coming up, does anyone have any tips/words of wisdom? Should I be expecting to be grilled with ethical questions? Were there any (and to what degree) questions regarding healthcare policy? Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!
Sure, I had a particularly good interview. It seems as though almost everyone gets one question (usually at the end) concerning ethics. For example mine was about treating a patient who I recognized as having a relationship with my sister that was HIV positive. A good handful also get a healthcare question. I was asked who I would endorse (somewhat generally; like what aspects would you be inclined to vote for as opposed to an actual person) for healthcare reform. Pretty loaded but they were looking for my stance on healthcare more than any sort of political affiliation I think. I've heard not everyone gets a healthcare question though. Other than that I'd say know your app pretty well and you'll do fine. The interview for me was pretty informal. They really do want to get to know you. Pretty low stress despite being a panel interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would definitely prepare your stance on ethical issues and the current healthcare system. Most interviewers are chill, a few less so, but the general consensus is that we have fairly laid-back interviews. We students certainly try to make it that way!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely low stress. After the first 2-3min it was so comfortable that it felt like a small group chat instead of a panel interview. I didn't receive a question on healthcare but did get one ethical question at the end that was two fold. Be honest and make sure to work the room. Make eye contact with every member in the panel. Just because one person asked the question doesn't mean the others are excluded from the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II just now!

Reactions: 5 users
Just waitlisted. Interviewed 12/9. I will call soon to see which oreo segment I am in

wait list..mid tier..dont know if my chances are good or not

Waitlisted. Interviewed 12/9. Calling tomorrow to see which third I'm on.

Edit: top third

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if OOS applicants are eligible for IS tuition after year 1? Just got an II but can't decide whether to accept.

II! I was complete in early August so there's still hope. LizzyM 69-70. I'm not sure if I should attend since I'm low on money and coming from the west coast. Can anyone offer any insight about this school?

Waitlisted, middle third. (Sigh) OOS. Interviewed 12/16

Also dates available are Wed. February 22, 2017, Friday, February 24, 2017, Wed. March 1, 2017, Friday, March 3, 2017 and Wed. March 8, 2017.

How receptive is Evms to letters of interest/intent?

Receptive, but likely won't be looked at until your file is re-reviewed later when looking to fill a dropped seat.

@mcatjelly do you have any information on how many students receive scholarships? I would love to visit this school and learn more about it but the tuition difference between my state school is pretty significant.

Last edited:
@mcatjelly do you know any information on how many students receive scholarships? I would love to visit this school and learn more about it but the tuition difference between my state school if pretty significant.

They definitely exist (see here), but unless EVMS offers something you're specifically interested in, I would honestly just go to your state school. I love EVMS, but maybe not $30,000 more a year much.

Can anyone add to the narratives of interview experiences here? Thanks!

Has anyone had any experience with the flexibility of interview date scheduling? The 3 dates they gave me are all Wednesdays and I unfortunately won't be able to attend the interview if it isn't on a Friday (the other day they mentioned they schedule interviews for). I plan on calling tomorrow but was curious about other people's experience. Thanks!

Anyone hear about how many people come off wait list each year?

II! How long do the interviews typically last? Would booking a flight to leave Norfolk at 6pm be cutting it too close?

Just got the II today. Does anyone know if EVMS has a host program?

II! How long do the interviews typically last? Would booking a flight to leave Norfolk at 6pm be cutting it too close?
Interviews are typically 40-45 min but can go up to an hour, depending on how your conversation goes! The last interview is scheduled for 3:30p and it takes about 20-30ish min to get to the airport so you may be able to make it. Once you schedule an interview, I believe the confirmation email will tell you of your time slot (2p, 2:45p or 3:30p)--if not, you can always call the admissions office and they will let you know!

Just got the II today. Does anyone know if EVMS has a host program?
We do not have a host program but there is a list of nearby hotels and other interview day info which you can find here: https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/doctor_of_medicine/md_admissions_interview_day/

It may be a good thing that we do not have a host program since med school interviews are crucial to the application process and it's best to be able to get a good night's rest on a bed than on the floor or a sofa (and possibly having to stay up late if the student(s) you're housing with is up late studying). Our class schedule also does not accommodate for the interview day ie. if the student you're housing with needs to go to an 8am, then chances are they're going to bring you along instead of leaving you home alone at their place (your interview day doesn't start until 10a iirc).

Hope this made sense!

We do not have a host program but there is a list of nearby hotels and other interview day info which you can find here: https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/doctor_of_medicine/md_admissions_interview_day/

Lol so I interviewed here last year. I called the school and spoke with Kerry, who reached out to current med students and helped find me a student host. I'm from a different state far, far away if that helped my situation. Reach out to the admissions office - very helpful!

Anyone hear about how many people come off wait list each year?
Did not apply here, but I saw this post come to the top. I hear a good number of people do. I remember reading of someone from my high school getting accepted off the middle third.

There's an EVMS Class of 2021 group, but there is only 13 members and no activity.

That fb group is not official as it seems to have been created by someone who will be matriculating this upcoming summer; the official group will be created by those who are current EVMS students/former Med Masters. If I see it, I'll post it to this thread :)

Just got an II today, so it's still possible!! Will be withdrawing my app, so hopefully one of you here gets one :)

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I received an interview for March 3rd, so they are definitely still interviewing. Lizzy M ~ 64
Don't worry! There are definitely still spots left for IIs.

Yeah I received an interview for March 3rd, so they are definitely still interviewing. Lizzy M ~ 64
Don't worry! There are definitely still spots left for IIs.

Just to add onto this: They have interview slots going all the way until March 24th from the options available on my email. That's a looot of time! Good luck to everyone! :)

If anyone is canceling their II's here, please let me know! I have one scheduled late March but if it works out it would really help me to go earlier.

Are they releasing post II decisions again anytime soon ?

Has anyone who interviewed in January heard anything?? I really wanna go to this school! Fingers crossed to all of us <3