2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they are still sending out IIs? I called in last month and they said their last interview day will be during the last week of march.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

II just now! :) Available dates are 3/24, 3/29 and 3/31

Reactions: 6 users
Woke up to an II today! LM 69, OOS, non-trad.

Available interview dates were 3/24, 3/29, and 3/31 (I took the lattermost)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if EVMS is planning a second look day? I wasn't able to find anything on here or on their website. Thanks in advance.

They didn't send out all the details but it's scheduled for April 21-22

Just wanted to confirm that the EVMS Preview Weekend for accepted students is April 21-22 (Friday & Saturday)! We will be offering a host program option as well as a student life panel (on Saturday) so I highly recommend coming if you want to hear more about EVMS from a student's perspective (especially about our new curriculum!). Hope to see you guys there :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Congrats to accepted and wait-listed applicants. For everyone still waiting, keep hope alive! I have set up a facebook group to help with finding rooms and roommates. I am a Norfolk native and don't want anyone thinking the Hague is the only rooming option! Feel free to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1916252188595210/

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Congrats to accepted and wait-listed applicants. For everyone still waiting, keep hope alive! I have set up a facebook group to help with finding rooms and roommates. I am a Norfolk native and don't want anyone thinking the Hague is the only rooming option! Feel free to join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1916252188595210/
Just wanted to add to this that while Hague Club (EVMS housing) is not the only rooming option, if you are hoping to live really close to campus (ie. across the street) it is probably the best option (I have friends who live in the other two really close apts Pembroke Towers and Hague Park and based on their feedback, Hague Club is probably the most preferable). I do live at Hague Club so feel free to message me if you would like more info or are in the area and would like a personal mini tour!

Just wanted to add to this that while Hague Club (EVMS housing) is not the only rooming option, if you are hoping to live really close to campus (ie. across the street) it is probably the best option (I have friends who live in the other two really close apts Pembroke Towers and Hague Park and based on their feedback, Hague Club is probably the most preferable). I do live at Hague Club so feel free to message me if you would like more info or are in the area and would like a personal mini tour!
Also as an applicant who is from the Hampton Roads area, there are plenty of great places to live in Norfolk/ VA Beach that are in the vicinity of EVMS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any waitlist movement recently?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when those how interviewed on 1/20 will hear back?

I imagine it'll be any day now, probably this Friday. I interviewed 1/13 and heard 2/17. My other friend who interviewed heard right at a month. I interviewed on a Friday, and remember them telling us that they were meeting that morning for decisions. I'm sure you guys are getting close!

Will be cancelling my interview tomorrow due to an acceptance elsewhere! I'm scheduled for 3/10 so a spot will be opening up for someone else to grab, good luck everyone!

Congrats to all of those accepted and still in the running. EVMS was the first school that rejected me (I'm OOS), but it's a great place. My dad did his residency from here in the 90s, and I spent the first few years of my childhood there. I wish I'd gotten at least an ii, though.

Any acceptances lately? Feb 3 interview here, thinking the day is getting closer.

Hey all, long term lurker here.

Interviewed Jan20th.
Accepted February24th.
LizzyM ~73.4

Really looking forward to attending here!

Also, be sure to check your spam folders. My acceptance email never came to my phone because it was filtered out!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed early Feb, accepted today!

So are we allowed to bring a guest to preview weekend? Or is it just students?

Alternate listed yesterday via email, OOS interviewed second week of Feb
EDIT: found out I'm in the top tier!

Last edited:
So are people just calling to find out what third they're in? Will an email suffice?

Typically speaking do most people on upper third end up getting in? @mcatjelly

I could be wrong about this but I recall them saying that last year they got through the entire top third of the list so I would say our chances are good!

Withdrawing today, so there will be another spot open for one of y'all :D. EVMS is a greatttt place!

I could be wrong about this but I recall them saying that last year they got through the entire top third of the list so I would say our chances are good!

EVMS Admissions said this? That's interesting, I had no idea.

Typically speaking do most people on upper third end up getting in? @mcatjelly

I don't have hard statistics, unfortunately. I just know that about half of our class came from the waitlist and that your chances are very, very good if you're on the top third from OOS. Also worth reminding that when someone drops an acceptance, they go through all thirds of the waitlist to find someone similar to whoever dropped the seat. If they don't find anyone in the upper third, they'll move to the middle third, and then the lower third.

But ultimately your chances are good in the top third. Not guaranteed, but good.

EVMS Admissions said this? That's interesting, I had no idea.

I don't have hard statistics, unfortunately. I just know that about half of our class came from the waitlist and that your chances are very, very good if you're on the top third from OOS. Also worth reminding that when someone drops an acceptance, they go through all thirds of the waitlist to find someone similar to whoever dropped the seat. If they don't find anyone in the upper third, they'll move to the middle third, and then the lower third.

But ultimately your chances are good in the top third. Not guaranteed, but good.
I might be completely wrong, I just really thought I remember them mentioning that. I could be mixing up schools though! Hopefully someone else with a better memory than I or more recent interview might be able to confirm or deny! Either way as an OOSer in the upper third I'm feeling pretty good about my odds!

Were they only talking about the OOS waitlist?

Were they only talking about the OOS waitlist?
I think so.. Although I might honestly be mixing up schools so take everything I'm remembering with a large grain of salt. If anyone else heard anything concrete one way or another that would be helpful!

I can say for certain that EVMS did NOT get through the entire upper third waitlist since I personally know someone who was OOS and placed in the top 1/3 and didn't get off the waitlist. As it was previously mentioned, EVMS will take people off the waitlist based on similar demographics to the applicant who declined their acceptance (gender, OOS/IS, experience types, etc.) and they will start with the top third. If they don't find a match, they will move to the middle third and so on.

Tl;dr being in the top third gives you the most likely chance to get taken off the waitlist but it is not a guarantee because it ultimately depends on how well your demographics match the vacated seat's.

Hope this helps! :)

Interviewed here today and loved it! Wishing everyone good news (preferably soon)!

Withdrew my application today. I was scheduled to interview on 3/31, but withdrew after being accepted elsewhere.

Good luck to those interviewing/applying here!

Got a frankly shocking II last Thursday (3/2) - was more or less certain I was going to be rejected. Ended up getting it scheduled for this Wednesday (3/8) as they had a cancellation. I guess people do get those spots that others cancelled on! Very excited to be interviewing here as I am IS. LizzyM 71

Reactions: 2 users
Really hoping to get accepted here! II on 2/3 and just patiently waiting for some good news hopefully!

Random next cycle applicant here - I saw on the admissions page that EVMS has a 2 year MCAT limit? Seems very short, so was just wondering if anyone here did apply with a slightly older MCAT, or would an app just get entirely thrown out if someone did?

Forming my school list and took my MCAT 2 years and 1 month prior to the application date this year so figuring out whether to apply or not :\

Random next cycle applicant here - I saw on the admissions page that EVMS has a 2 year MCAT limit? Seems very short, so was just wondering if anyone here did apply with a slightly older MCAT, or would an app just get entirely thrown out if someone did?

Forming my school list and took my MCAT 2 years and 1 month prior to the application date this year so figuring out whether to apply or not :\
I think the 2-year MCAT rule is to primarily homogenize MCAT scores across all applicants since the previous cycle included a mix of the old and new MCAT test takers--you can always confirm by calling our admissions office since they're super friendly and helpful :) Best of luck with your application cycle!

For those who interviewed Feb 10, do we find out today (it's been 28 days today)? Anyone have an idea of what time?