2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can say for certain that EVMS did NOT get through the entire upper third waitlist since I personally know someone who was OOS and placed in the top 1/3 and didn't get off the waitlist. As it was previously mentioned, EVMS will take people off the waitlist based on similar demographics to the applicant who declined their acceptance (gender, OOS/IS, experience types, etc.) and they will start with the top third. If they don't find a match, they will move to the middle third and so on.

Tl;dr being in the top third gives you the most likely chance to get taken off the waitlist but it is not a guarantee because it ultimately depends on how well your demographics match the vacated seat's.

Hope this helps! :)

Was OOS top 1/3 WL last year and again this year, hoping for a change this time around!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought my cycle was over, but just got a call to interview here next week! Does anyone have advice for the interview day? kinda feel like im interviewing for the waitlist at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought my cycle was over, but just got a call to interview here next week! Does anyone have advice for the interview day? kinda feel like im interviewing for the waitlist at this point.
The interview is fairly laid back and conversational. They do usually ask a question on healthcare policy and an ethical dilemma type question. Other than that it's pretty relaxed. Good luck!

What kbac13 said. Emphasize your service experience/giving back to the community. Also do some research on EVMS (missions, values, fun stuff that EVMS students do, etc.) Ride the flow of the conversation-like nature of this interview, but also steer it in the direction that best emphasizes your key qualities. Make eye contact/address all three panel members. Remember, as much as they're interviewing you, you're interviewing them as well. Ask questions about EVMS life, opportunities, etc. to all the panel members. Good luck!!

Accepted a couple days ago (3/9)!
Interviewed 2/8, this quick post-interview turnaround is awesome!
I loved my interview visit to EVMS and Norfolk; I am ecstatic that I have the opportunity to attend medical school here.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted a couple days ago (3/9)!
Interviewed 2/8, this quick post-interview turnaround is awesome!
I loved my interview visit to EVMS and Norfolk; I am ecstatic that I have the opportunity to attend medical school here.
Congratulations! Are you OOS or IS?

Thank you! I am out-of-state.
Congrats! I am also accepted and a Norfolk resident, I can promise you that if you go to EVMS you will slowly learn to hate norfolk just as much as the rest of us lol

II! So thankful for the chance to check out this school!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted today, top 1/3, LizzyM 69. OOS interviewed 3rd week of February.

has there been any WL movement yet? Doesn't movement usually begin in March? or is it usually more towards April

Members don't see this ad :)
has there been any WL movement yet? Doesn't movement usually begin in March? or is it usually more towards April

This is what I hope for the waitlist:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 users

Last year people were accepted off the waitlist as early as January, I believe, but as is the case with every school, the bulk of waitlist movement will occur around Traffic Day.

Edit - Answered my own question

Last edited:
Your best bet is probably to email one of the three emails listed on the admissions site: Contact Us - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads. (I came off the waitlist so I didn't do preview weekend and I think @mcatjelly was in the same boat as me)

Do you happen to remember when you came off the waitlist? I've been on the waitlist since mid-October, and though I've been accepted to a few other schools, EVMS is my top choice (I'm in-state by the way).

Do you happen to remember when you came off the waitlist? I've been on the waitlist since mid-October, and though I've been accepted to a few other schools, EVMS is my top choice (I'm in-state by the way).
I came off the waitlist mid-May (middle 1/3, OOS) but my friend who was the last to be admitted to our class was accepted off the waitlist 2 weeks before the white coat ceremony. The majority of movement is around traffic day but there can definitely be movement after that as people get off of other waitlists and spots open up!

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'm IS and was accepted off the upper third the week before Traffic Day. :)

IS, waitlisted upper 1/3, love EVMS so much! Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here:xf:

Got an out of the blue II on Thursday, scheduled for Friday 3/24! Had given up hope on the cycle, hadn't had an interview anywhere. Crossing my fingers... LizzyM ~72

Reactions: 11 users
Hey all! I just withdrew from the waitlist (top 1/3), OOS. Hopefully one of you gets it! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Follow-up to my II post a couple days ago: since this is my only interview this mega-late in the cycle, I'll definitely be writing a letter of intent (assuming waitlist which seems reasonable given the previous year threads for EVMS). Would it be weird to submit a LOI before I even hear back? Would it make its way into my file before the committee reviews my post-interview application?

Follow-up to my II post a couple days ago: since this is my only interview this mega-late in the cycle, I'll definitely be writing a letter of intent (assuming waitlist which seems reasonable given the previous year threads for EVMS). Would it be weird to submit a LOI before I even hear back? Would it make its way into my file before the committee reviews my post-interview application?

Please see my post from earlier in this thread: Tl;dr a letter of intent is only useful if you currently hold at least one other MD acceptance.

They do accept updates and letters of interest/intent in the sense that they will be added to your file but they may not be necessarily read (just send an email to one of the three emails posted on the admissions page: Contact Us - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads). There are way too many people on the waitlist for them to go through every single update but if you're in a pool of possible candidates to be considered for an acceptance offer, they may look at your updates and letters of interest/intent. Sending additional information to be added to your file will not change your third on the waitlist either.

With that said, PLEASE KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SENDING A LETTER OF INTEREST VS. A LETTER OF INTENT. Interest = not accepted to any other school vs. intent = accepted elsewhere but would prefer to go to this school over the accepted school. If you send a "letter of intent" without any acceptances, you will come across as desperate. (feel free to pm me if you need further clarification on the difference)

Hope this helps!

Please see my post from earlier in this thread: Tl;dr a letter of intent is only useful if you currently hold at least one other MD acceptance.

Fair enough, I should have been more careful in my wording. I certainly wouldn't write anything too clingy and desperate. I'm more wondering about the timing, if it would be worth it to send something in before the ~3-4 week turnaround time post-interview or wait until after I hear back something official.

Fair enough, I should have been more careful in my wording. I certainly wouldn't write anything too clingy and desperate. I'm more wondering about the timing, if it would be worth it to send something in before the ~3-4 week turnaround time post-interview or wait until after I hear back something official.
I don't have a definite answer for that but I will warn you that sending a letter of /intent/ (as opposed to 'interest') if you do not currently hold any other MD acceptances in itself will come across as desperate. It's ultimately up to you--you can also try calling the admissions office and checking with them whether any new information provided post-interview, pre-decision will be reviewed with the rest of your application.

Is anyone planning on going to the second look weekend April 21st-22nd? Not sure how important it is, but I definitely want to be there if lots of people are going!

Got an II today (definitely from someone who cancelled). Heard a lot of good things so I'm pretty excited.
OOS

Does anyone know if I am just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point or if they still have space in their class? Also does anyone know how generous they are with scholarships/financial aid packages?

Got an II today (definitely from someone who cancelled). Heard a lot of good things so I'm pretty excited.
OOS

Does anyone know if I am just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point or if they still have space in their class? Also does anyone know how generous they are with scholarships/financial aid packages?

From what I can tell based on the last 4-5 years of threads I've looked through since I got my call last week, the admissions staff would never admit that we're interviewing for waitlist but it's pretty much the case. The latest straight acceptance I saw was a 3/8 interview date. I think they just want to leave the theoretical window open in case of a really blow the doors down good interview.

Wow that's some impressive internet sleuthing!

But it does make me a bit concerned now.

OOS

While I cannot disclose the EVMS admissions process, I can say that due to the nature of our selection process, a later interview has a less likely chance of an outright acceptance (but this is the case for most med schools) BUT that doesn't mean you should go into interview day with the mindset that you're "interviewing for a spot on the waitlist". If you completely blow us out of the water with an amazing interview, that will be taken into consideration :)

While I cannot disclose the EVMS admissions process, I can say that due to the nature of our selection process, a later interview has a less likely chance of an outright acceptance (but this is the case for most med schools) BUT that doesn't mean you should go into interview day with the mindset that you're "interviewing for a spot on the waitlist". If you completely blow us out of the water with an amazing interview, that will be taken into consideration :)

Thanks for your insight rukia! It's completely reasonable for the committee to work that way. It's a natural byproduct of rolling admissions and it gives extra motivation for us with late interviews to impress.

sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you find out where you are on the waitlist??

I called the admissions office and asked if updates or letters of interest have any impact on waitlist ranking and was told that it doesn't. So, is there really any point in sending one to EVMS?

I called the admissions office and asked if updates or letters of interest have any impact on waitlist ranking and was told that it doesn't. So, is there really any point in sending one to EVMS?
All letters of interest/intent and update letters are added to your file and are not necessarily read but they may have some influence if you are in a pool of candidates actively being considered for admission.

I was just waitlisted, top 1/3 OOS. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear? I've heard it could just be any time up until the day school starts lol.

I was just waitlisted, top 1/3 OOS. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear? I've heard it could just be any time up until the day school starts lol.

When did you interview?

I heard that they won't pull from WL until after April 30, but I could be mistaken, and yes, once they start pulling, it'll be until the day before school starts I believe!

When did you interview?

I heard that they won't pull from WL until after April 30, but I could be mistaken, and yes, once they start pulling, it'll be until the day before school starts I believe!
Thank you!

I think Rukia said she was accepted off the wait list before traffic day. So yep, any time is possible although there will be a lot more movement after then. Especially for OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think Rukia said she was accepted off the wait list before traffic day. So yep, any time is possible although there will be a lot more movement after then. Especially for OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was accepted after traffic day (mid-May) but iirc mcatjelly said that the earliest movement was around January. Again, the bulk of movement occurs around traffic day but it can continue throughout summer :)

Wait! Rukia is a girl/women ???? I've always thought Rukia was more of a XY kind of person. My bad, Rukia...

Wait! Rukia is a girl/women ???? I've always thought Rukia was more of a XY kind of person. My bad, Rukia...
LOL no worries! I actually get mistaken for the opposite gender all the time (especially online) + I used to be pretty genderfluid/androgynous so I'm fine with any/all pronouns :)