2016-2017 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted after traffic day (mid-May) but iirc mcatjelly said that the earliest movement was around January. Again, the bulk of movement occurs around traffic day but it can continue throughout summer :)

Sorry! Must have been mcatjelly I was thinking of. Maybe. Way too lazy to scroll back a couple of pages to check.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody filled out their application for financial aid. They sent me an email saying they received by FAFSA but said i needed to fill out the application on the portal for financial aid. The finaid portal won't let me activate though

Has anybody filled out their application for financial aid. They sent me an email saying they received by FAFSA but said i needed to fill out the application on the portal for financial aid. The finaid portal won't let me activate though

Have you tried just logging in without activating first? I had tried the "first time user" link and it gave me the unable to activate your account message, but I put in my EVMS email and it let me log in without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello Everyone,

It looks pretty likely I am gonna go here. Is anyone else who is going to go here looking at living arrangements? A lot of the apartments around EVMS look expensive. I have a sweet adorable Husky as well, so I need to accommodate for him. I will likely be looking for male roommates if anyone wants to chat about potentially living together! I know it is still early, but I want to start the conversation now.

Obligatory picture of my pupp:

Hello Everyone,

It looks pretty likely I am gonna go here. Is anyone else who is going to go here looking at living arrangements? A lot of the apartments around EVMS look expensive. I have a sweet adorable Husky as well, so I need to accommodate for him. I will likely be looking for male roommates if anyone wants to chat about potentially living together! I know it is still early, but I want to start the conversation now.

Sadly, I can't get the husky pict to load

FYI we are currently working on making your official Class of 2021 Facebook page; I will keep you guys updated for when it goes live :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Sorry to jump in here.
WL in the middle 1/3 OOS; interviewed last week of Feb
Not sure if this has been answered before but do people come off the middle 1/3 or is it rare?

Hey everyone! Sorry to jump in here.
WL in the middle 1/3 OOS; interviewed last week of Feb
Not sure if this has been answered before but do people come off the middle 1/3 or is it rare?
I also interviewed the last week of Feb! Maybe we were in the same group. Apparently they look for someone on the top 1/3 that fits/is similar to the person who got rid of their acceptance, and if no one from the top 1/3 works then they look at the middle third? So I hear the top third is good chances, middle third is still possible but not very high. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if EVMS limits the number of updates you can send to them?
Also, does submitting a paper to a journal warrant an update by itself?

Does anyone know if EVMS limits the number of updates you can send to them?
Also, does submitting a paper to a journal warrant an update by itself?

As far as I know, they do not limit it (but you probably shouldn't send updates as frequently like every week haha).

As for publications, from what I have read, you should send an update after the publication has been accepted (not submitted). The reason is because anyone can submit to a journal, but it is actually significant after it has been accepted/published.

Accepted just now! Interviewed 3/3 and LizzyM ~ 64! Sooooo excited! My first acceptance of the cycle!!!!!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Rejected just now pre II

Waitlisted today, interviewed 3/8, IS, top 1/3 so hopefully will hear some good news at some point!

I got waitlisted. Top 1/3. Anyone know what my chances are IS? 3.7 GPA/balanced 33 MCAT. I have one acceptance but I have a friend at the school who told me things are going downhill there so I really want to get off EVMS' waitlist.

I got waitlisted. Top 1/3. Anyone know what my chances are IS? 3.7 GPA/balanced 33 MCAT. I have one acceptance but I have a friend at the school who told me things are going downhill there so I really want to get off EVMS' waitlist.
Good luck! When did you find out/when did you interview?

Don't know for sure, because gender and ethnicity also comes into play...

What do you mean by 'things are going downhill,' meaning that there is very little projected waitlist movement or the school itself is less appealing because of administrative or curricular changes?

Also, does anyone know how large each third of the waitlist is?

What do you mean by 'things are going downhill,' meaning that there is very little projected waitlist movement or the school itself is less appealing because of administrative or curricular changes?

According to the admissions page, EVMS interviews on average 650-850 applicants each cycle and grants 300 acceptances to fill the 151 seats so roughly that's 350-550 candidates either waitlisted or rejected.

According to the admissions page, EVMS interviews on average 650-850 applicants each cycle and grants 300 acceptances to fill the 151 seats so roughly that's 350-550 candidates either waitlisted or rejected.
Thanks

Hi, I meant that the school where I am accepted has had some issues. An M3 friend there told me about some big problems with clinical training like mistreatment of students and loss of their best clinical site. I obviously don't want to say which school it is since it's my only acceptance right now but I'm sort of in crisis about whether I would even want to train there. God, I hope EVMS accepts me.

Hi, I meant that the school where I am accepted has had some issues. An M3 friend there told me about some big problems with clinical training like mistreatment of students and loss of their best clinical site. I obviously don't want to say which school it is since it's my only acceptance right now but I'm sort of in crisis about whether I would even want to train there. God, I hope EVMS accepts me.
Oh gotcha, I thought you were saying that about EVMS and I got confused

Anyone notice it seems like there are a disproportionate amount of WL'd people on here reporting that they are top 1/3rd? I don't think I've seen a single bottom third and maybe only one or two middle third people. Is it possible that they aren't literal "thirds" and the majority of waitlisted people are told they are in the top? Or is it all just strong reporting bias?

Anyone notice it seems like there are a disproportionate amount of WL'd people on here reporting that they are top 1/3rd? I don't think I've seen a single bottom third and maybe only one or two middle third people. Is it possible that they aren't literal "thirds" and the majority of waitlisted people are told they are in the top? Or is it all just strong reporting bias?

There are definitely thirds. SDN has always had a strong reporting bias.

I think there is a strong reporting bias, or maybe you're right and they aren't literal thirds. It seems sort of a moot point at any rate considering how the waitlist admissions are based primarily on a matching principle. If Rukia's waitlist stats are accurate though, there are at least 116-117 people in each third

I second mcatjelly--there are definitely thirds, it's just that people are less likely to post if they've been put on a lower tier of the waitlist (and a part of that can be due to ego/self-esteem/self-confidence reasons)