2016-2017 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. (250 words)
Please tell us about a situation in which working with others has been challenging. (200 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thinking about applying here, does anyone know what the FlexMed situation is and how many students from the class will be from the program? Does it make OOS chances slimmer?

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking about applying here, does anyone know what the FlexMed situation is and how many students from the class will be from the program? Does it make OOS chances slimmer?

http://blog.mountsinai.org/blog/tag/flexmed/

The article is from 2013, so I think about half of the incoming class is FlexMed. It probably makes OOS chances slimmer but it'll make everyone's chances a bit slimmer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we do not have a committee letter, do we only submit 2 letters? Their website states they want 1 science and 1 nonscience professor. Does anyone know if we can submit more (is there a maximum)??

If we do not have a committee letter, do we only submit 2 letters? Their website states they want 1 science and 1 nonscience professor. Does anyone know if we can submit more (is there a maximum)??
I don't believe they had a hard maximum when I applied, but you probably shouldn't submit more than 4-5.

Secondary Received 7/5 1:48 PM EST. Questions are the same as last year!

Received. Anyone having trouble with the photo upload? I chose a file, it says complete, but the picture still says "no photo".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
1. Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. (250 words)
2. Please tell us about a situation in which working with others has been challenging. (200 words)

(Credit to 2015-2016 thread)

Received. Anyone having trouble with the photo upload? I chose a file, it says complete, but the picture still says "no photo".

I'm having the same problem. There's no upload button and it won't let me save. It says "This page is complete" though.

Update: I went ahead and submitted since it gave me the option to delete and gave me notice that the section was complete. I think it should be fine.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. There's no upload button and it won't let me save. It says "This page is complete" though.

Update: I went ahead and submitted since it gave me the option to delete and gave me notice that the section was complete. I think it should be fine.

Did the same thing :)

Secondary submitted! This is easily my top choice, so fingers crossed!

PS, @WedgeDawg -

Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. (250 words)
Please tell us about a situation in which working with others has been challenging. (200 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
What does a professional passion even entail? Are they looking for EC type responses (Ex. tutoring, EMT...etc)?

What does a professional passion even entail? Are they looking for EC type responses (Ex. tutoring, EMT...etc)?

No one said it had to be professional. You can write about anything you care deeply about.

It says "professional or personal."

Should it be related to medicine in some way? I feel like my personal passions are not worth writing about. The only things I can think of are what I have already written in my activities.

@pillowsnice I wrote about running and now I'm starting at Sinai in a month! Write about anything that you're passionate about (within reason)

Reactions: 2 users

Same, I submitted anyways. Watch they reject me just because of a blank photo :(

I'm having issues with the photo too. Hopefully they'll get that resolved soon.

Personal passion? Video poker. That probably won't fly though!

submitted. really like this school

@Apollo8 Totally fine! I did exactly that. It's probably best to touch on a different side of that topic or go into greater detail about it, though; don't just copy-paste your blurb from the activities section.

Working on the secondary here now! I am excited about this school. Don't have any research experience so its' a big reach, but hoping they like my unique, non-trad story.

what the consensus on writing about something you've already touched on in your AMCAS?..... any passions (professional or personal) I have already hit in some manner on the primary.

@Cotterpin @longleat11 @ChrisMack390 @pillowsnice

If it's really a "passion" its hard to see how it wouldn't be in your primary. Just make sure to take a very different angle on it. Personally, I was able to link a bunch of the stuff in my primary with a general theme that I am passionate about, so it was easy enough to write this one.

Does Mt. Sinai accept updates after the secondary is submitted but before interviews begin?

I got my secondary 7/5 and submitted 7/21...I hope that long turnaround doesn't get in my way. Would love to go here!

Is anybody else here non-trad? (looking at you @ChrisMack390 ... lol)

How did you answer the post-bacc coursework question? It asks how many post-bacc courses you took. Did you literally just put a number? Or list out all th post-bacc courses you took with names, etc.?

How did you answer the post-bacc coursework question? It asks how many post-bacc courses you took. Did you literally just put a number? Or list out all th post-bacc courses you took with names, etc.?

Non trad here! But I haven't taken a post bac so I didn't have to answer that question. Sorry :/

Um. Are you sure this is for Sinai? I don't remember being asked that. In any case, I did a master's degree, not a postbacc, so the reason may be because I just said no.

Um. Are you sure this is for Sinai? I don't remember being asked that. In any case, I did a master's degree, not a postbacc, so the reason may be because I just said no.

Got it! Thanks. They asked if you completed post-bacc courses and then another box popped up asking for how many. There was no character limit..I was probably being overly thorough but gave a list of course names. Rather be safe than sorry and given no character limit it seemed they could be expecting a large response!

Secondary submitted, finally!

Got it! Thanks. They asked if you completed post-bacc courses and then another box popped up asking for how many. There was no character limit..I was probably being overly thorough but gave a list of course names. Rather be safe than sorry and given no character limit it seemed they could be expecting a large response!

Good luck!

That's exactly what I did, I think it's fine :)

Does anyone know when they start sending out II's?

II as well :) complete 7/6

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats guys! Hope I get one - this is a dreeeeam school for me.

First II feels sooo good! LizzyM ~75
Complete 7/8

I look forward to meeting you all!

INTERVIEW INVITE, MY NUMERO UNO:clap: (sorry Dartmouth :p)

NYC is easily my #1 location to live and grow, I LOVE Manhattan. Mt. Sinai I love you

I'm crying. Since I decided on this path, Sinai has been my top choice so I can go there for med school and ideally never leave, doing residency and working there. Now I'm sooooo close

Reactions: 4 users
First II as well! I was getting pretty paranoid haha...

INTERVIEW INVITE, MY NUMERO UNO:clap: (sorry Dartmouth :p)

NYC is easily my #1 location to live and grow, I LOVE Manhattan. Mt. Sinai I love you

I'm crying. Since I decided on this path, Sinai has been my top choice so I can go there for med school and ideally never leave, doing residency and working there. Now I'm sooooo close
Congrats!! Would you guys mind sharing dates of completion @Yorick @neeranjun.rishi

Guys, could someone pm me the link to the secondary? I kinda lost it...