2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did Callahan not respond to any of y'alls interest emails in the last 2 weeks? She responded to my one in December but not the latest one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not to sound rude, but she literally gets HUNDREDS of emails a day. Be patient.

Members don't see this ad.

Did Callahan not respond to any of y'alls interest emails in the last 2 weeks? She responded to my one in December but not the latest one

Sent in a update letter/letter of interest Feb 17 and got a reply saying "thanks very much for the update" on the 19th.

So tomorrow it will have been 5 weeks since my interview, if I dont hear then is it appropriate to call?
The "month" is really an estimate-there are some faculty members who go a little M.I.A. for a bit, so I would give it until 6 weeks? Definitely go through your spam though like @Doctor Strange said (I know that's not what you want to hear but there's a good chunk of people whose email realizes it's bad news and buries it)
Hey Everyone! I was wondering does Dr. Callahan have final say on who gets in or is it more of a committee agreement?
Committee weighs the student and faculty interviewer, and make a decision. "Final say" doesn't really exist, although Callahan definitely weighs a lot in case of uncertainty. I would also believe Callahan determines who comes off the waitlist when that time comes, but there it committee involvement in that too (I think, that part I'm not 100% sure on)

Also, I said this what feels like last week, but just because they didn't take your update letter and immediately give you an II doesn't mean they didn't get it. It doesn't mean they received it and tossed it out. Those cases are possibilities (n=1 ALWAYS), or it means that they either haven't gotten to it or got to it and decided to wait on it for a little while. Check my old post about this a couple of pages back on update letters, but just a reminder that if you send them an update letter that doesn't actually update them on anything, they aren't going to be receptive to it and it's honestly kind of a rude waste of the office's time. Jefferson is very receptive to letters, but make sure they actually have something relevant in them, and aren't just "I heard on SDN if you send letters you get an II"

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody ever heard back the Wednesday after they interviewed? I know this is dependent on faculty interviewer, but I'm just curious

I do not know the answer to this, but she does have a very heavy influence on who is admitted and who is not.

Committee weighs the student and faculty interviewer, and make a decision. "Final say" doesn't really exist, although Callahan definitely weighs a lot in case of uncertainty. I would also believe Callahan determines who comes off the waitlist when that time comes, but there it committee involvement in that too (I think, that part I'm not 100% sure on)

I didn't get to talk to Dr. Callahan during the meet-and-greet after the interviews because she already had a huge crowd around her all the time/didn't really send her a thank you card. Is this going to come back and shoot me in the leg? :(

I didn't get to talk to Dr. Callahan during the meet-and-greet after the interviews because she already had a huge crowd around her all the time/didn't really send her a thank you card. Is this going to come back and shoot me in the leg? :(

It is a good thing to be seen by her at that the cookie hour but if you did not get a chance to do so I do not think it would count against you.

No, this is not going to exclude you from an acceptance. Making some face time will help marginally in some situations, but it's more of a formality than anything.

No, this is not going to exclude you from an acceptance. Making some face time will help marginally in some situations, but it's more of a formality than anything.

There are so many students interviewed each cycle, how can she possibly remember them all?

I went up to her to thank her and talk to her a bit and she patted me on the back and we shared a laugh. In my head I was thinking, "does this mean I'll get accepted?" Hah

There are so many students interviewed each cycle, how can she possibly remember them all?

I went up to her to thank her and talk to her a bit and she patted me on the back and we shared a laugh. In my head I was thinking, "does this mean I'll get accepted?" Hah
Don't over think it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. It happens quite frequently.
That's Amazing! I have few questions though:
1) When they go through the applicants from the interview day, do they do it in alphabetical order? So would I potentially get a call/email next week because my last name begins with a letter toward the tail end of the alphabet
2) When they review an applicant after an interview to determine their fate, do they compare the applicant mainly to the other interviewees that day or to the class in general for acceptance?
3) Is there a specific amount of kids that get picked for admission from each interviewing class or can it potentially be that everyone/no one gets accepted (hopefully the former is true and not the latter lol)
Sorry for asking so many questions at once...This process is beginning to drive me a bit crazy LOL

That's Amazing! I have few questions though:
1) When they go through the applicants from the interview day, do they do it in alphabetical order? So would I potentially get a call/email next week because my last name begins with a letter toward the tail end of the alphabet
2) When they review an applicant after an interview to determine their fate, do they compare the applicant mainly to the other interviewees that day or to the class in general for acceptance?
3) Is there a specific amount of kids that get picked for admission from each interviewing class or can it potentially be that everyone/no one gets accepted (hopefully the former is true and not the latter lol)
Sorry for asking so many questions at once...This process is beginning to drive me a bit crazy LOL
Please go have a drink or something...

But to answer your questions, they will discuss your application whenever your faculty interviewer shows up to the committee meeting. I don't know if there is any specific order they go in, and I can't even imagine that it matters at all. I also haven't the slightest idea how you are "compared" relative to other applicants, but I would be inclined to think that your application, for the most part, stands independently from the others. That being said, the whole process is dependent on looking better than other applicants, so there is certainly some component of comparison inherently in the process. There is a "goal" number of acceptances that they shoot for based on historical data. They do, after all, have to fill up the class. I do not think there is a "quota" per interview day; it just seems unlikely to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call like 3 minutes ago....ACCEPTED!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
HPWL. Getting pretty discouraged after every single interview turned into waitlists.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope so. It just sucks because this felt like my best interview experience by far and it still wasn't enough to get me far enough.
That stings!

I got a rejection post-interview at one school - felt pretty bad about my interviewing skills after that one.

HPWL. Getting pretty discouraged after every single interview turned into waitlists.
Does anyone know when HPWL movement starts?
Alternate list. Interviewed last week.

Roughly 1/3 (about 80) people come off the waitlist, so hope is still very much alive for Jefferson (e.g. I came off the waitlist, but n=1). Movement mostly comes after you are not allowed to hold multiple acceptances, so people who aren't coming here drop their spot which can be given to a waitlist spot.

Got put on HPWL. What are the chances because it seems a-lot of people are in this category? lol

Accepted!! Interview invite 2/6, interview 2/15, accepted this morning. Over the moon right now. Absolutely loved the school and really appreciate the fast turn around time

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they will be sending out any II's this late?

Does anyone know if they will be sending out any II's this late?
We interview through April, and I personally know of people who got II in late march. Don't know how often, but there are still a bunch of spots to be filled.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!! Interview invite 2/6, interview 2/15, accepted this morning. Over the moon right now. Absolutely loved the school and really appreciate the fast turn around time
congrats! what your stats, IS or OOS? when did you submit?

The "month" is really an estimate-there are some faculty members who go a little M.I.A. for a bit, so I would give it until 6 weeks? Definitely go through your spam though like @Doctor Strange said (I know that's not what you want to hear but there's a good chunk of people whose email realizes it's bad news and buries it)

Also, I said this what feels like last week, but just because they didn't take your update letter and immediately give you an II doesn't mean they didn't get it. It doesn't mean they received it and tossed it out. Those cases are possibilities (n=1 ALWAYS), or it means that they either haven't gotten to it or got to it and decided to wait on it for a little while. Check my old post about this a couple of pages back on update letters, but just a reminder that if you send them an update letter that doesn't actually update them on anything, they aren't going to be receptive to it and it's honestly kind of a rude waste of the office's time. Jefferson is very receptive to letters, but make sure they actually have something relevant in them, and aren't just "I heard on SDN if you send letters you get an II"

who do you send letters to?

who do you send letters to?

General advice seems to be to send them to the general admissions email and CC Dr. Callahan. Both of those emails addresses should be on their website. Sorry I don't know them off the top of my head.

Any thoughts on staying with a student before the interview? Would not staying with one look bad to the committee?

congrats! what your stats, IS or OOS? when did you submit?

OOS, Lizzy M - 75, GPA - 3.88. What really helped me click with my interviewer though was my passion for community outreach. I think it just meshed well with the school's mission.