2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else trying to be nonchalant about tomorrow's decisions and failing...?
Lol yep just sitting here like "mmhmm apartments, ooh cars, wow second look" while freaking out silently inside.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol yep just sitting here like "mmhmm apartments, ooh cars, wow second look" while freaking out silently inside.

So my phone just got stolen in a foreign country and dying inside about tomorrow.... is some bad luck the day before actually good luck for tomorrow?? does it work like that??? Lol can they contact me? will they email????

literally same, but I hope the best for you and @KPstudent cuz we've all been through the same craziness after all haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So my phone just got stolen in a foreign country and dying inside about tomorrow.... is some bad luck the day before actually good luck for tomorrow?? does it work like that??? Lol can they contact me? will they email????
that is actually crazy, but it seems that Dr. Callahan will leave a message if she doesn't reach you and an email will follow thereafter? if that makes you feel better....also idk what luck is sooo not the best person to answer that question

Since my phone was stolen idk that I can check my messages no? Hopefully emails will come soon after lol this is just how life goes no I would expect nothing less hahaha

sorry for my incoherence I haven't gotten into medical school yet I'm a mess hahaha

Since my phone was stolen idk that I can check my messages no? Hopefully emails will come soon after lol this is just how life goes no I would expect nothing less hahaha

sorry for my incoherence I haven't gotten into medical school yet I'm a mess hahaha
So I don't mean to instill any hope that may not be there but I believe that most if not all of cell phone voice mails are through the network meaning that you could check your messages from any phone by hitting pound or something after calling your number and entering your voice mail password but I haven't actually done this before but it would be worth checking out with your local cell provider store. But being in a different country and I am guessing likely you had to change SIM cards which in that case I have no idea how it would be handled. Any way probably worth checking into to try and get that peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user
did anyone who filled out the housing application receive a time slot for the next step in the process?

when did you fill out the initial housing application?

Back in Feb when I got my acceptance. couple days after the call, i got an email from their reslife with the application. last friday, they sent out housing selection times to jeff emails

Back in Feb when I got my acceptance. couple days after the call, i got an email from their reslife with the application. last friday, they sent out housing selection times to jeff emails
How do you access your Jeff email??

Wasn't able to pick up at work but got a message from Dr. Callahan with "good news" about 30 minutes ago! Interviewed 4/5

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't able to pick up at work but got a message from Dr. Callahan with "good news" about 30 minutes ago! Interviewed 4/5
Congrats! Just so you know, second look starts tomorrow at 4 (a reception) and then is this Friday. In case they didn't email you yet, I know it's short notice.

I still have nothing, but my Jefferson portal under application status says:

Jefferson Acceptence Fee Paid ----------- No

(They actually did spell acceptance wrong lol makes me almost love them more) and I am going through psychological torture. WAS THAT ALWAYS THERE??? Do other people have that??

maybe because today was the last meeting they had to meet for a super long time to make sure they went over every single person that interviewed and its just taking a while?!

Congrats! Just so you know, second look starts tomorrow at 4 (a reception) and then is this Friday. In case they didn't email you yet, I know it's short notice.
Thanks! I live across the country so won't be able to swing it but would love to get updates from any students attending!

(They actually did spell acceptance wrong lol makes me almost love them more) and I am going through psychological torture. WAS THAT ALWAYS THERE??? Do other people have that??
That's brand new on my portal as well. Prediction is a fool's game in this process but I'd be willing to bet a local thief has a missed call from Dr. Callahan.

Thanks! I live across the country so won't be able to swing it but would love to get updates from any students attending!

That's brand new on my portal as well. Prediction is a fool's game in this process but I'd be willing to bet a local thief has a missed call from Dr. Callahan.

I took the advice of NorwegianRepresentative and actually figured out how to check my messages on my phone and have nothing so idk!!!!!!

Still haven't received my financial aid package from Jeff, but received an offer I couldn't turn down from another school. Withdrew today - hope my spot goes to one of you! Jeff is an awesome school

I can't find that on my portal and I haven't received anything yet. Maybe good news is on it's way for you since barracuda23 had a similar change!

Is there any chance Jefferson gives out full ride scholarships, or should I withdraw??

Is there any chance Jefferson gives out full ride scholarships, or should I withdraw??
There's certainly a chance, but it has historically been very low. I've only ever heard of one student in my four years here that has gotten a full ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

HPWL via email just now. I'm going to give it my all to get in because Jeff has been my top choice for so long. Any advice is appreciated!

Reactions: 5 users
are there others who still haven't heard anything? I'm wondering if I should reach out to the office and see if my decision got lost somehow, unless they're just taking their time and I'm not the only one

are there others who still haven't heard anything? I'm wondering if I should reach out to the office and see if my decision got lost somehow, unless they're just taking their time and I'm not the only one
Right there with you.

Guys, after 24 rejections, I finally got my first acceptance via email from Dr. Callahan. I am so beyond overwhelmed and cannot wait to meet many of you next year :) :) :)

Please tell me how accepted students weekend goes and to all of you waitlisted GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Guys, after 24 rejections, I finally got my first acceptance via email from Dr. Callahan. I am so overwhelmed and cannot wait to meet many of you next year.

Please tell me how accepted students weekend goes and to all of you waitlisted GOOD LUCK
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

HPWL via email just now. I'm going to give it my all to get in because Jeff has been my top choice for so long. Any advice is appreciated!

Would like to second this. Jefferson is my top choice!!! Any advice is appreciated on how to get off that waitlist! And does anyone have an idea on how much waitlist movement there is here?

Would like to second this. Jefferson is my top choice!!! Any advice is appreciated on how to get off that waitlist! And does anyone have an idea on how much waitlist movement there is here?
My understanding is that if you are on HPWL, you are a desired member of the class! Congratulations on that. Come May, there will be HUGE movement, especially at enormous schools like SKMC. They might even be struggling to fill spots in the class. Your best bet is to communicate the fact that they are your #1 SCHOOL and that you'd totally go if you're accepted. That makes their job easier and accurately communicates your similar interest in each other. Good luck!

Guys, after 24 rejections, I finally got my first acceptance via email from Dr. Callahan. I am so beyond overwhelmed and cannot wait to meet many of you next year :) :) :)

Please tell me how accepted students weekend goes and to all of you waitlisted GOOD LUCK!!!
Awesome CONGRATULATIONS! I was rooting for you all along.

I am very happy for you.

My understanding is that if you are on HPWL, you are a desired member of the class! Congratulations on that. Come May, there will be HUGE movement, especially at enormous schools like SKMC. They might even be struggling to fill spots in the class. Your best bet is to communicate the fact that they are your #1 SCHOOL and that you'd totally go if you're accepted. That makes their job easier and accurately communicates your similar interest in each other. Good luck!

^this. Last year, I send an email after my HPWL that I was serious about Jefferson and would attend if accepted, and then I was accepted within a week or two. Jeff takes a lot of students from the high priority waitlist, something like 90 students. Just make sure they know that you're serious about attending, and you'll have a good shot at getting in.

Just withdrew from Jeff :(. Really liked the school and the people. Hope an SDNer gets my place <3.

Reactions: 7 users
Any current students have any thoughts on living in one of the fraternity houses? They seem like great affordable options but was just wondering of any possible drawbacks that might exist

Any current students have any thoughts on living in one of the fraternity houses? They seem like great affordable options but was just wondering of any possible drawbacks that might exist
Living in a ****ing fraternity house would be a huge drawback

The students that live there love it. It's not as fratty as in college since everyone is a medical student and understands that it's not about partying all the time (although there are ocassional parties). There's a lot of mentorship that goes on in the frats, and it's a good way to network. If you prefer to live by yourself, then it's obviously not an ideal option, but if you don't mind the constant company, then it might be something to consider.
Living in a ****ing fraternity house would be a huge drawback
The frats are well respected here at Jefferson.

Last edited:
@Doctor Strange Do you have any input on what the scholarly inquiry component of the new curriculum will entail? Also, do you know what % of MS1's live on campus? Thanks!

@Doctor Strange Do you have any input on what the scholarly inquiry component of the new curriculum will entail? Also, do you know what % of MS1's live on campus? Thanks!
I honestly have no idea, but I have heard that it's pretty liberal in terms of what your project can be. It's like half and half with the skew towards off campus as the years go on.

can anyone that went to 2nd look give some highlights from the event or a general feel of the school? thank you!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back regarding their financial aid award package? I was told I would get it by the beginning of last week :( I was really hoping to have a decision made by this point. Thanks!

A few questions for current Jeff students (@Doctor Strange):

1) During your 3rd and 4th years, did you feel like you were a part of the patient care team (vs. just an observer)? Another school at which I interviewed really emphasized how the 3rd/4th year students feel like an integral part of the team at their clinical sites, and I am wondering if it is similar at Jefferson.

2) Given that Wills Eye is a top notch ophtho hospital, would you say that there is an advantage to going to Jeff for someone who might be interested in ophtho? I hear this a lot for ortho at Jeff but am wondering if it is the same for ophtho.

3) Do you know if the distribution of scholarships and loans in the financial aid package remains relatively consistent throughout the four years (e.g., if I got some scholarships in my package for year 1, can I expect that it might be the same in the future years, or do they tend to give out more/less in the upper years?)

Thanks so much!

Is anyone still waiting to hear back regarding their financial aid award package? I was told I would get it by the beginning of last week :( I was really hoping to have a decision made by this point. Thanks!
+1. At second look, they said they hoped to have them all out by Monday (yesterday), but I still haven't gotten anything.