2016-2017 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

2. What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

3. What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4. Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5. What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
These are the secondary questions that Loma Linda has sent out the past 3 years.

1. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

3. What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4. Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5. What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

9. Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

I am an MS2 at Loma Linda enjoying my last summer vacation. If anyone has anyone questions about anything Loma Linda (admissions process, the school, curriculum, etc), please feel free to send them my way. Best wishes to all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
I am an MS2 at Loma Linda enjoying my last summer vacation. If anyone has anyone questions about anything Loma Linda (admissions process, the school, curriculum, etc), please feel free to send them my way. Best wishes to all of you!
Would you mind giving some insight into what makes the school special for you? I'm curious as to what big differences there are between this school and others in regards to their seventh day Adventist affiliation as well? and what the area the school is in is like? Thanks :) sorry it's a lot of questions, just seems like a really great school

These are the secondary questions that Loma Linda has sent out the past 3 years.

Thank you for the prompts!
I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering:

1) Do you know what percentage of matriculants are SDA vs. other denominations? Would you say almost all students are Christian?
2) How big is LL on medical missions? Do they encourage long-term?
3) Are cafeterias really vegan?
4) What's been the best part about LL for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Would you mind giving some insight into what makes the school special for you? I'm curious as to what big differences there are between this school and others in regards to their seventh day Adventist affiliation as well? and what the area the school is in is like? Thanks :) sorry it's a lot of questions, just seems like a really great school

1. What makes this school special for me is that it is a Christian school dedicated to using our skills and talents to serve God and the people around us, and this was a big reason why I chose Loma Linda. Loma Linda also has a lot of medical mission opportunities, and they provide funding for students to go on missions. I also really like the environment, as I feel this is one of the most supportive classes I have seen. Grading is not done on a curve, so there is no competition for grades. A lot of students freely share study guides and notes with each other and everyone works together to prep for exams. Our class really feels like family, and everyone is really nice and helpful. The faculty are also extremely supportive and helpful. They will work with your schedule to set up study sessions or to go over any questions you have. There are also a lot of upper-classmen tutors available if you need additional help.

2. The big difference here from public schools (i.e. UC's) is the class environment, the professors, and the curriculum. Our class is made up almost all SDA's or other Christian denominations. Most people in our class have done medical missions and are really dedicated to the mission of the school (otherwise we would not have gone here). A lot of classes start with prayer, and the professors are free to talk about their faith or medical missions in class (unlike public institutions where I felt that people would not talk about it). Within the curriculum, they teach a lot about connecting spiritually with patients. The interesting thing is that most patients want spirituality to be a big part of their care (I have seen plenty of these cases), and Loma Linda does a really good job teaching you how to address these issues in ways appropriate and comfortable for the patient (i.e. disusing spirituality without preaching and evangelizing).

3. Loma Linda itself is pretty nice, although there is not a lot to do there. Most of my classmates and I head south to San Diego, the nearby beaches, LA, or the mountains of we feel like doing anything. The area around Loma Linda is not that great (San Bernardino area), but the nice thing is that we are centrally located and only an hour or two away from anything you could want (beach, mountains, city, etc)

Thank you for the prompts!
I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering:

1) Do you know what percentage of matriculants are SDA vs. other denominations? Would you say almost all students are Christian?
2) How big is LL on medical missions? Do they encourage long-term?
3) Are cafeterias really vegan?
4) What's been the best part about LL for you?

1. I don't know exact numbers and percentages, but from talking with classmates, almost everyone is either SDA or non-SDA Christian.
2. It is a big focus, although it is optional. They have a lot of different places you can go to (the Adventists have set up hospitals everywhere that you can serve at). They do help provide funding if you wan to go the summer between your first and second year (the biggest time block that you can go, and when a lot of us choose to go).
3. They are vegetarian. I am not so sure about vegan, but I am sure there are vegan options. I don't usually eat at the caf (I bring food from home).
4. See my response in my previous post above.

1. I don't know exact numbers and percentages, but from talking with classmates, almost everyone is either SDA or non-SDA Christian.
2. It is a big focus, although it is optional. They have a lot of different places you can go to (the Adventists have set up hospitals everywhere that you can serve at). They do help provide funding if you wan to go the summer between your first and second year (the biggest time block that you can go, and when a lot of us choose to go).
3. They are vegetarian. I am not so sure about vegan, but I am sure there are vegan options. I don't usually eat at the caf (I bring food from home).
4. See my response in my previous post above.

Thanks for the response. This sounds like the perfect school for me, as a PK and MK that wants to serve Christ full-time overseas. It also sounds like everyone is close-knit.

As a follow-up, are there a lot of churches in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. This sounds like the perfect school for me, as a PK and MK that wants to serve Christ full-time overseas. It also sounds like everyone is close-knit.

As a follow-up, are there a lot of churches in the area?

Yes, they give you a list of churches and medical student contacts for each church at orientation.

I should add that if you are interested in long-term missions, they have a Deferred mission appointment program, where you'll serve at an Adventist hospital after residency. In exchange, I believe they cover some of your education debt. Not sure on exact details, but you could ask at the interview or when you come here.

@On Eagle's Wings
Do you know what is the maximum number of letters of recommendation we can submit? I know on the secondary site is says a minimum of 3 but I was thinking of submitting 6 including my letter from a church leader. Would that be too many?

Also, awesome Francis Chan quote! I love his podcast channel

@On Eagle's Wings
Do you know what is the maximum number of letters of recommendation we can submit? I know on the secondary site is says a minimum of 3 but I was thinking of submitting 6 including my letter from a church leader. Would that be too many?

Also, awesome Francis Chan quote! I love his podcast channel

I submitted a committee letter along with 8 supporting letters of recommendation in my committee packet to all the schools I applied to. I had 1 letter from a physician, 1 from my research advisor, 1 from an employer (a dean), 1 from a pastor, 1 from a medial missionary, 2 from science faculty, and 1 from non-science faculty. You should be fine with 6 letters, IMHO.

I am reading Crazy Love during my break (where the quote is from), and it a really good book. I read two of David Platt's books last summer, so now I am starting on Chan's. I have not listened to his podcast channel yet.

SO, I don't have an issue signing the code of conduct if I was to get accepted here, but my question is about how seriously they regard the "have you broken the code of conduct in the last year" question.

I'm by no means a heavy drinker, but like once a month I'll have a glass of wine or something.

I intend to answer the question truthfully regardless, I just want to know if they're going to immediately rule me out.

SO, I don't have an issue signing the code of conduct if I was to get accepted here, but my question is about how seriously they regard the "have you broken the code of conduct in the last year" question.

I'm by no means a heavy drinker, but like once a month I'll have a glass of wine or something.

I intend to answer the question truthfully regardless, I just want to know if they're going to immediately rule me out.

I'm the same way. I feel like they have to know that people from other denominations will have a glass of wine or two occasionally. I think it would appear more strange to say you'd never had any at all in the last year. I really don't know though. I'm worried too.

Anyone know if LLU screens their secondaries?

I'm the same way. I feel like they have to know that people from other denominations will have a glass of wine or two occasionally. I think it would appear more strange to say you'd never had any at all in the last year. I really don't know though. I'm worried too.

Yeah, I'm finishing it up tonight and I've decided to stick with my honest inclination (I agree it would seem suspicious to say never as well, unless one hails from a strict denomination). I'm just going to reiterate my willingness to sign the code of conduct at the same time. C'est la vie!

Yeah, I'm finishing it up tonight and I've decided to stick with my honest inclination (I agree it would seem suspicious to say never as well, unless one hails from a strict denomination). I'm just going to reiterate my willingness to sign the code of conduct at the same time. C'est la vie!

Sounds like a good course of action! I have classmates who have definitely had a drink of two a month socially before they entered Loma Linda. You'll be fine-as long as you are willing to abide by the agreement once you enter.

quick question: 3 hrs of bio chem are required. I'm currently taking biochem and indicated that on AMCAS, but they already received my transcript and wont get Biochem with grade on transcript until Aug 9th. Should I even bother?

quick question: 3 hrs of bio chem are required. I'm currently taking biochem and indicated that on AMCAS, but they already received my transcript and wont get Biochem with grade on transcript until Aug 9th. Should I even bother?

You don't have to submit transcripts until you're accepted right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you all want more info on Loma Linda, I would check out last year's (2015-2016) Loma Linda thread. I wrote a lot of posts in there about life at Loma Linda. Also, there is an LLU medical student blog you can check out for more details.

1. I know that SDA's get the advantage, but where do non-SDA Christians stand? Does the priority ranking go: SDA, non-SDA Christian, then non-Christian? Or do non-SDA Christians get lumped in with everyone that is non-SDA?

2. One of the questions says "What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective in service to others?" When I first started answering this question I told two short stories of people who I have seen serve. Did I misunderstand this though - should I have talked about my own personal experiences serving? I'm curious what everyone thinks?

Wow a lot of these questions deal with religion and spirituality. So here's the thing - I am not particularly religious. I am not Christian, I am Hindu, but that doesn't matter. However, I don't actively participate at my temple. I only go every couple months because we don't have like a weekly Sunday mass we go to...it's just whenever you want. Is this school wrong for me? I don't know what to do about secondaries...should I spend time applying here or no?

Wow a lot of these questions deal with religion and spirituality. So here's the thing - I am not particularly religious. I am not Christian, I am Hindu, but that doesn't matter. However, I don't actively participate at my temple. I only go every couple months because we don't have like a weekly Sunday mass we go to...it's just whenever you want. Is this school wrong for me? I don't know what to do about secondaries...should I spend time applying here or no?

Just don't. You would be miserable.

Just don't. You would be miserable.
Could you please elaborate? I know some people who are not religious but would do just fine at a religious school? For example, I went to Santa Clara University in CA which is a Jesuit school, and I enjoyed it there because you could do whatever you want and wouldn't feel obligated to go to church and join campus ministry and stuff.

Could you please elaborate? I know some people who are not religious but would do just fine at a religious school? For example, I went to Santa Clara University in CA which is a Jesuit school, and I enjoyed it there because you could do whatever you want and wouldn't feel obligated to go to church and join campus ministry and stuff.
Oh, I totally agree but here they take it very seriously and it sounds like the entire area follows the same customs. Just really research this one before you apply. Read all about it online, watch youtube videos from students, and learn about their specific denomination. I don't go here but after researching, I started to rethink my own application. They do have requirements that you attend chapel services and religion courses in addition to the medical curriculum so you would have to be open to that. You said you are not very religious so I'm not sure what type of diet you do or don't follow but you would also have to be comfortable with the vegetarian campus and no alcohol for the duration of your training. Those are just a few of the surprises I found when reading about it.

Last edited:
1. I know that SDA's get the advantage, but where do non-SDA Christians stand? Does the priority ranking go: SDA, non-SDA Christian, then non-Christian? Or do non-SDA Christians get lumped in with everyone that is non-SDA?

2. One of the questions says "What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective in service to others?" When I first started answering this question I told two short stories of people who I have seen serve. Did I misunderstand this though - should I have talked about my own personal experiences serving? I'm curious what everyone thinks?

For this one, I talked about my own service to others. Since it's from my own perspective and it says "your experience", I thought it'd be best to show my perspective through examples of how I served.

Religion and Christianity play a pretty big role in the culture of this institution, and if you are not kind of person whose faith and spirituality is a big part of your life, this may not be the right school for you. What is the biggest reason you want to come to Loma Linda? If the reason is just because it is a school in Cali with not so high stats, that probably wont cut it. Almost everyone who comes here is here because this school offers something that almost no other medical school offers, a Christian environment to train for a career in medical service. Spirituality is huge here, from religion classes to mandatory chapel to a decidedly Christian environment. We welcome people of all faith backgrounds and there are plenty of people in my class who are not SDA, but the school is what it is and you have to decide if you want to be a part of it for 4 years.

Religion classes and chapel attendance are mandatory. You also have to abide by the lifestyle agreement for the duration of your time here. You don't necessarily have to get more involved than that (missions, volunteering, etc, although most of us do (that is usually a big reason we picked this school). I will say though that the environment is decidedly Christian. Almost all of our class is SDA or non-SDA Christian, and our faith permeated into practically everything here. Whether it is the professors offering prayer before class, the white-coat ceremony being a religious ceremony, and spirituality and faith being a big part of the curriculum (i.e. learning how to address spirituality as part of the patient interview, etc), our faith plays a big role in our daily life and in our training. Most of us are here because this is what we wanted for our medical training.

For this one, I talked about my own service to others. Since it's from my own perspective and it says "your experience", I thought it'd be best to show my perspective through examples of how I served.
Excellent advice!

1. I don't know exactly, but based off the make-up of my class and what I saw from interview days, I have a feeling that the ranking goes SDA, non-SDA Christian, and everyone else. Demographically, almost our entire class is either SDA or non-SDA Christian. Now, I do NOT think it is becasue they look at your app, see you are non-SDA non-Christian and automatically put you at the bottom of the stack. I think it has a lot to do with the reasons you want to come to Loma Linda (which I have talked a lot about in my past posts) and the experiences you have had. Loma Linda wants people who will contribute to furthering their mission statement, and they will only take you if you have shown though your past experiences that you are dedicated to their mission and will further it with the training you receive here.

2. @stungster gave you solid advice. That is pretty much what I did when I wrote my essay.

I am willing to read and review Loma Linda School of Medicine secondaries for all of you applying. Several of you have been asking me, so just to let everyone know, I am more than happy to read LLU secondaries only. If you are interested, please paste your secondary responses into a private message and I'll take a look at it. I have been reading lots of responses to LLU secondaries and have seen a decent variety of answers. I usually give feedback both on grammar and content. Hope this helps you all!

By the way, I will only be doing this until school starts on August 19. After then, I'll be busy with pathophysiology, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, Step 1 prep... you get the idea.

Last edited:
Hey there! I'm super interested in applying to this school. I didn't realize I needed a pastor's recommendation letter, and he's just had a baby, so it won't be coming in for a while. Do you guys think I should submit my primary to this school right now, or wait until after the letter comes in?

I am willing to read and review Loma Linda School of Medicine secondaries for all of you applying. Several of you have been asking me, so just to let everyone know, I am more than happy to read LLU secondaries only. If you are interested, please paste your secondary responses into a private message and I'll take a look at it. I have been reading lots of responses to LLU secondaries and have seen a decent variety of answers. I usually give feedback both on grammar and content. Hope this helps you all!

By the way, I will only be doing this until school starts on August 22. After then, I'll be busy with pathophysiology, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, Step 1 prep... you get the idea.

Already turned mine in so it may be too late for that lol
I was actually born in Loma Linda University Hospital! I wonder if that combined with my stats (LizzyM - 72) and being IS helps?

Hey there! I'm super interested in applying to this school. I didn't realize I needed a pastor's recommendation letter, and he's just had a baby, so it won't be coming in for a while. Do you guys think I should submit my primary to this school right now, or wait until after the letter comes in?

If I remember correctly, I think the LOR's aren't needed until you submit your secondary. On your primary, I remember you simply list your letter writers.

Already turned mine in so it may be too late for that lol
I was actually born in Loma Linda University Hospital! I wonder if that combined with my stats (LizzyM - 72) and being IS helps?

LLU does not have in-state bias, although 46% of my class is from CA (likely due to a lot of out of state applicants going elsewhere).

LizzyM score is excellent for LLU.

Being born here doesn't really help you unless you know a doc here or have some significant tie to LLU.

@On Eagle's Wings if I didn't have a pastor LOR, will that affect my chances? I thought it was only recommended, not required...

@On Eagle's Wings if I didn't have a pastor LOR, will that affect my chances? I thought it was only recommended, not required...

I am not sure how it affects your chances. It is not required, although I would very strongly recommend you get one. Faith and spirituality play a big role at our school (look at the secondary questions), and I think the admissions committee here really wants to get a feel for who you are not just academically and what is on your app. It doesn't necessarily need to be a senior pastor. For me, I used a missions pastor who ran a church's short-term mission program. This letter is actually a great opportunity to for someone to write about how your activities/volunteering/mission work fit in with your life and who you are. Again, it is not required (i.e. they will still consider your app), but I see it as a great opportunity to boost your app when very few other schools will consider this part of you life in the application process.

I had my primary verified the first day that AMCAS opened, and applied to Loma Linda that same day, but I haven't yet received a secondary. Should I follow-up with them?

If I remember correctly, I think the LOR's aren't needed until you submit your secondary. On your primary, I remember you simply list your letter writers.

Thanks for your reply! My reasoning was that if I submitted my primary right now, I would get a secondary soon and I know that the letter won't be able to come in within the next two weeks :\

Hey LLU students, thank you for all your replies and comments! Question regarding research on campus: Are there opportunities for the students to be involved with faculty research on campus? Before my masters I was involved with urological research and would really like to get involved with it again if possible. Thank you!

Hey LLU students, thank you for all your replies and comments! Question regarding research on campus: Are there opportunities for the students to be involved with faculty research on campus? Before my masters I was involved with urological research and would really like to get involved with it again if possible. Thank you!

Absolutely! During your summer between first and second year, you'll have the opportunity to do paid research with LLU faculty in basic sciences or almost any of the specialities. I am doing dermatology research this summer, and I have several friends doing urology and cardiac research. Opportunities for research here are plentiful.