2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who interviewed, where exactly do you report to at the beginning of the day? Lobby of the hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who interviewed, where exactly do you report to at the beginning of the day? Lobby of the hospital?
Not the hospital. There's 2 campuses: Phoenix and Scottsdale. Phoenix is the actual hospital. Scottsdale is the clinic and a few research buildings. Go to the Scottsdale one. If you go straight you'll be at the curb of the clinic. You actually want to go to the buildings just behind/to the left of the clinic. You can walk from the clinic curb. If you're driving, turn left at the intersection right before the clinical building, and then head rightish towards the back of the clinical building. I wish the school had a physical address, as opposed to 1 address for the whole Scottsdale complex.

Reactions: 3 users
Are we bracing for impact tomorrow since November will then have passed???

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we bracing for impact tomorrow since November will then have passed???

No, fear not. They said they are extending interview season until January and maybe even February.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL I just got one of those letters from the dean today. My interview was in September.

I was positive it was a rejection when I saw the envelope.

Reactions: 6 users
LOL I just got one of those letters from the dean today. My interview was in September.

I was positive it was a rejection when I saw the envelope.

Better check my mailbox today and fish out about a week's worth of mail.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed early October (at the AZ campus... letter came from Rochester)... I received the "your app has been ranked" email on 10/21. My letter is dated 10/24, same as another person who received theirs on 10/29... Verrrrry interesting.
Gurby! I think we were in the same interview group! I got the same letter dated Oct 24th.

Gurby! I think we were in the same interview group! I got the same letter dated Oct 24th.

It's been a while, trying to remember my interview date! I remember there was a guy from Alabama... a girl from Colorado who had worked for NOLS and now at a gear shop and I talked to her about hiking the Colorado Trail... None of the MN students were available for lunch so we chatted with the admissions people... Some other important person was MIA, so Dr. Shah ran the show pretty much. Sound familiar?

It's been a while, trying to remember my interview date! I remember there was a guy from Alabama... a girl from Colorado who had worked for NOLS and now at a gear shop and I talked to her about hiking the Colorado Trail... None of the MN students were available for lunch so we chatted with the admissions people... Some other important person was MIA, so Dr. Shah ran the show pretty much. Sound familiar?
Nope. We skyped with three MN students for lunch because none were available on campus. So different groups. correction: one M3 joined us for lunch plus the skype

Interviewed october
LizzyM>70
Ranked in October
Received letter this week, hopefully a good sign!
+1 on thinking it was a rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
is the letter coming from post office or email? if it is the mail, is it mailed to the school or your home address?

it was snail mail; I'm assuming it'll be mailed to whatever address you have listed on AMCAS

For those who have interviewed already, could someone give a brief overview of how the day went? It might have already been posted but I wasn't able to find anything...
The only information I've received via email is that it's 30 minute interviews (plural) and at some point of meet with students.
Is it two interviews? Are there other mini interviews aside from those two? How'd it go for ya'll?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
two interviews, one on one with faculty
You meet with student(s) via skype during lunch unless there are students doing rotations who are free during that time/day.

Presentation of school
Interview or tour
Tour or interview
Lunch
Tour of off campus hospital
Done for the day

^was my schedule

two interviews, one on one with faculty
You meet with student(s) via skype during lunch unless there are students doing rotations who are free during that time/day.

Presentation of school
Interview or tour
Tour or interview
Lunch
Tour of off campus hospital
Done for the day

^was my schedule
Sounds exciting! I interview next week and I am very hyped about this school. Although...I know the odds are stacked against me post interview. Does anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is expected to be for the Arizona campus? I am assuming they would need to accept more being that this is the inaugural class, does anyone have info to back this up?

Mayo historically has a 25% post acceptance rate. I guess they might've interviewed more than the typical amount (assuming this due to the zombie resurrection craziness that happened a few months ago), so the yield might be lower.. Or perhaps they'll compensate for the fact that they're new by accepting more, and maybe it'll end up being a 25% yield anyway.. It's all speculation at this point honestly.

But the school was great, everyone was super nice and welcoming, I had an awesome time and would absolutely love to attend Mayo simply based on my interview day experience. You'll have a great time, and best of luck!

When are we going to see some more action? I have a feeling some magic is going to happen for someone before the end of next week...

Reactions: 1 users
upload_2016-12-7_18-35-11.png

Woke up to an II here this morning :D the open dates were all in the last two weeks of Jan

Reactions: 4 users
Woke up to an II here this morning :D the open dates were all in the last two weeks of Jan
When was your file complete? I'm wondering if that's it then. I haven't heard a thing since was file was complete back in early September.

Just got the "You have been ranked" e-mail... Ominous but exciting!

Absolutely love this place. When is an appropriate time post interview to send an LOI?

Last edited:
Savaged once again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1481618248.290460.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1481618248.290460.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 72

Last edited:
Just got the axe too!! Was not meant to be! :( Good luck to the rest of yall!

Rejected from MN campus this morning and now waiting for AZ :nailbiting:

Zombie here, back to the grave today pre II.

Starting to think they just straight up lost my app or used it as TP

Zombie here. Rejected at 8:43 am. Probably the third best rejection letter that I've received this cycle.

Can't believe their rejections came at a reasonable time of day vs 3 am...Mayo is that you??!