2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the people who got IIs at both campuses... did you use the same essays for both pre-interview questionnaires or did you change it up?
but also there's some real differences between phoenix and rochester, which may or may not turn you on to the place

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long after interviewing did y'all have your applications ranked? And is the consensus that they'll start sending out decision at the beginning of Feb?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long after interviewing did y'all have your applications ranked? And is the consensus that they'll start sending out decision at the beginning of Feb?

A month. They are highly erratic this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they push it further back, but yeah, should hear feb

Members don't see this ad :)
but also there's some real differences between phoenix and rochester, which may or may not turn you on to the place

What were these differences that you sensed/saw? I'm always interested in seeing what people saw that I might've not seen so just curious!

What were these differences that you sensed/saw? I'm always interested in seeing what people saw that I might've not seen so just curious!
Phoenix isn't in the middle of corn.

Reactions: 5 users
Is Mayo doing ranking meetings over these next two weeks-- I don't think they said either way at my day

Is Mayo doing ranking meetings over these next two weeks-- I don't think they said either way at my day
One of my interviewers mentioned they wouldn't meet again until after the holidays.

Happy holidays to all; hoping for a Christmas miracle in the next month or so :)

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know the latest date for interviews that has been scheduled? Just trying to gauge how far out they've scheduled as of now

anyone know the latest date for interviews that has been scheduled? Just trying to gauge how far out they've scheduled as of now

According to the scheduler, there's only 1 date open in January. I'm assuming they've filled up all their interview slots and space is opening up only as people drop. The earliest date I personally could get when I interviewed was 2 months before my interview. I figured they would give invites out with ample time beforehand and fill spaces as needed (or wanted) when people drop interviews.

According to the scheduler, there's only 1 date open in January. I'm assuming they've filled up all their interview slots and space is opening up only as people drop. The earliest date I personally could get when I interviewed was 2 months before my interview. I figured they would give invites out with ample time beforehand and fill spaces as needed (or wanted) when people drop interviews.
Can I be obnoxious and ask you to check the MN dates?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent a Letter of Intent already but am considering a update letter to send in January before decisions come out. Is this okay or should I wait to see decisions first before sending another update?

I sent a Letter of Intent already but am considering a update letter to send in January before decisions come out. Is this okay or should I wait to see decisions first before sending another update?
I spoke with someone at the MN campus and they said that a letter of intent won't change the initial ranking that you were given after the interview. She said all letters of intent and updates etc. will begin to have influence once they start picking from the waitlists after initial decisions have been made.

Does anyone know if Mayo accepts pre-interview letters of interest/updates, or, if so, if that would even matter to them? I received the LOR request in mid September and haven't heard a thing since. Thank you!

Does anyone know if Mayo accepts pre-interview letters of interest/updates, or, if so, if that would even matter to them? I received the LOR request in mid September and haven't heard a thing since. Thank you!

They explicitly say they do not want pre-interview updates. I don't know about letters of interest, but I guess it would follow the same rule.

I spoke with someone at the MN campus and they said that a letter of intent won't change the initial ranking that you were given after the interview. She said all letters of intent and updates etc. will begin to have influence once they start picking from the waitlists after initial decisions have been made.

Now, instructions on letters of interest/updates on interview day are in some conflict with the website and my communication with the admissions office. On interview day, I wrote down that active communication with the admissions office is encouraged and "helps your chances." I don't know if it was in specific reference to waitlist movement, but it sounded like general advice for the remainder of the cycle. Moreover, the staff mentioned updating them as a means of keeping in touch, rather than only providing "significant experiential updates" per their website.

A lot has changed since then, so I don't really know what to think anymore.

They explicitly say they do not want pre-interview updates. I don't know about letters of interest, but I guess it would follow the same rule.

Now, instructions on letters of interest/updates on interview day are in some conflict with the website and my communication with the admissions office. On interview day, I wrote down that active communication with the admissions office is encouraged and "helps your chances." I don't know if it was in specific reference to waitlist movement, but it sounded like general advice for the remainder of the cycle. Moreover, the staff mentioned updating them as a means of keeping in touch, rather than only providing "significant experiential updates" per their website.

A lot has changed since then, so I don't really know what to think anymore.
This is also what I got from my December interview date. They said multiple times while we said farewell to "keep in touch." And they also emphasized a LOInterest if it was a favorite and LOIntent if we wanted to go all in. So I sent the LOIntent quickly thereafter. However, I don't want to hit them with overkill but I also want them to really get as much info about me as possible and emphasize to them my profound interest. So I am trying to figure out how to tow that line between admirably persistent and downright annoying.

What resources did you folks use to prepare for the interview?

Are there any more interviews left?

I have one this month. Is there a list of core competencies for Mayo students? I can't see to find it if there is one published.

Re-rejected last night after being re-rejected at the MN campus. Good luck everyone!

Anyone else get the deliberations email? I wish they would just tell us!! Taunting us

Yeah, from the doctor who interviewed me. It wasn't formal, just a kind of checking in and saying final deliberations were coming. They asked if I was still wanting to go to Mayo Arizona.

Anyone else get the deliberations email? I wish they would just tell us!! Taunting us

I did not get it. But I was ranked recently and I already sent a long LOI...did they say what their timeline is at all?

I did not get one (I interviewed back in October), but that sounds so frustrating! I hope it means that we might hear decisions soon...

Reactions: 2 users
I did not get one (I interviewed back in October), but that sounds so frustrating! I hope it means that we might hear decisions soon...
I hope so. It is only January 6th and we could have to wait till end of Feb. :(

I hope so. It is only January 6th and we could have to wait till end of Feb. :(

I'm thinking they'll start in early February. I can't imagine them reorganizing 400 applicants. Perhaps they will send 40-50 acceptances in early February, see where the late January people fit in, and create the waitlist after the initial 50 appointments.

All these deliberation/likely letters are so confusing.

Perhaps they will send 40-50 acceptances in early February, see where the late January people fit in, and create the waitlist after the initial 50 appointments.

Good... good.... Let the Kool-Aid flow through you.

OH YEEAAHH.

but seriously I don't get why you underlined appointments.

Just noting that you're already embracing The Mayo by calling them appointments instead of acceptances :p

Just noting that you're already embracing The Mayo by calling them appointments instead of acceptances :p

hehe yes, I am a devout Mayo follower.

very noobie question: Is the questionnaire 250 words total or 250 per question?

It seems like a lot of people are wondering/worried about the "interested" and "deliberation" letters. From what I've seen, those only come from MN. So, don't panic if you haven't gotten one. For those of you posting about your "likely" letters, definitely mention that those come from MN.
Is there anyone, with evidence, that can say otherwise?

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like a lot of people are wondering/worried about the "interested" and "deliberation" letters. From what I've seen, those only come from MN. So, don't panic if you haven't gotten one. For those of you posting about your "likely" letters, definitely mention that those come from MN.
Is there anyone, with evidence, that can say otherwise?

I received what I think y'all are calling a "likely" letter, and I only applied to AZ.

Edit: It was sent from MN, which may be part of the confusion here.

I only interviewed at AZ and received both likely letter from the dean at MN and the deliberation email from the doctor who emailed me at AZ.

I only interviewed at AZ and received both likely letter from the dean at MN and the deliberation email from the doctor who emailed me at AZ.

If you don't mind sharing when did you interview? And what did the deliberations email basically say?

i find all of these pre decision things a little off putting. the 'strongly encouraged' letter of interest/intent, the likely letters and deliberation emails, and pushing decisions from november to february.

i find all of these pre decision things a little off putting. the 'strongly encouraged' letter of interest/intent, the likely letters and deliberation emails, and pushing decisions from november to february.
I hear ya. I can't think of a good reason to screen by something as vague as interest except in order to artificially increase your yield rate and perceived prestige. I'll jump through the hoops bc I really like this school but all this is really silly. Maybe I'm just pissy bc I didn't get a likely letter despite sending three well-researched love letters. Going into this cycle I had an impression of mayo as the place where medicine is still practiced as it should be, with low BS and high efficiency bc they care about the client receiving their services. Can't say they've lived up to that at all at least in the first year this admissions office has been around

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So, it sounds like at some point MN was sending out these "likely" letters, and some of the interviewers sent out deliberation emails to people they interviewed.
It doesn't sound like every interviewer sent out "deliberation" emails, but some did. The school did send out "deliberation" emails to everyone after they were ranked. Sounds like some doctors are more involved than others.
Did the people that got "likely" letters interview early on? There were some mumblings about the letters awhile back, but none in the last couple months. And it's weird that anyone who interviewed at AZ would get anything from the MN school if the two are completely separate.

So, it sounds like at some point MN was sending out these "likely" letters, and some of the interviewers sent out deliberation emails to people they interviewed.
It doesn't sound like every interviewer sent out "deliberation" emails, but some did. The school did send out "deliberation" emails to everyone after they were ranked. Sounds like some doctors are more involved than others.
Did the people that got "likely" letters interview early on? There were some mumblings about the letters awhile back, but none in the last couple months. And it's weird that anyone who interviewed at AZ would get anything from the MN school if the two are completely separate.

Just a quick clarification on the deliberations emails from MN (as someone who got one and talk to others), they were all sent from the same person, Dr. Fischer (chair of admissions I think is his title) and not individual interviewers. So it seems to maybe be from a list of people gathered from the adcoms.

Just a quick clarification on the deliberations emails from MN (as someone who got one and talk to others), they were all sent from the same person, Dr. Fischer (chair of admissions I think is his title) and not individual interviewers. So it seems to maybe be from a list of people gathered from the adcoms.

So Mayo AZ is not currently in deliberations? I think they are trying to be transparent and communicative but the lack of consistency at both campuses just makes us more confused. I think this is just a product of them being under a new dean. If they accept me, it's all good :).

Reactions: 1 users