2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@histologymakesmecry can we also get your input on the student happiness/mental health at Mayo? From the 3 students I had lunch with during my interview, I got the impression that they were unstressed and noncompetitive. Is this true for the majority of the class? Or were those students just selling the school to us? What has Mayo done to foster that culture?

Also, what is the flipped classroom like at Mayo? My undergraduate professors have implemented that in several of my classes. It was frustrating since the professors seemed to view it as a way to prepare less for the class, because they are leading a discussion rather than lecturing or teaching. The result was less learning with more stress.

The 3 students you interacted with were not lying. Ok - it's med school - you are going to be stressed and you are going to have hard days. But compared to my peers at other schools I am very much less stressed and Mayo is significantly less competitive, than other schools. I don't think I know any students years 1 through 4 that would "sell the school" to you haha. Just my opinion. We are pretty blunt and honest. Mayo offers all sorts of incentives for wellness - in fact we have a whole wellness committee - just a few things we have is - first year free gym membership at our awesome Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center then the rest of the years are subsidized based on how often you go, there are wellness grants to gain money for fun wellness activities with your classmates, there are lunch sessions where we learn about cooking, we get coloring books, we learn about destressing. There are SO many ways they foster wellness, and I would feel comfortable going to any of the administrators or staff people here and asking them for help if I was feeling unwell.

I think the term flipped classroom has kind of gotten a weird rapport over the past few years. It seems to be, like you've stated, that professors think it leaves a discussion time - which actually I personally think could be a more useful format - or even a case based discussion. I agree though that sometimes when implemented poorly this creates a learning environment where the learning is pushed all on you. Although each of our blocks is different, I think overall our professors do a great job of preparing us for the USMLE and for our third and fourth year clerkships. We are, as a whole, seen as top-notch, well-prepared students at our institution and away when we do rotations. That being said, it depends how much of the class is done online or in class. You'll find that most of our classes are solely in class, with a lecture and then small group time. Modules are scattered here and there but by no means make up the majority of any class. If anything, they are offered as an additional resource in a lot of cases. For example, we have board review modules that are available for us to use for self-studying additional in depth biochem and physiology if we don't necessarily come from a rich phys/biochem background. Does this help at all??
I wouldn't be worried too much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A little late here but HELLO alternate list. Sorry to those rejected. Is anyone else struggling to decide to stay on the waitlist?

I suspect the median MCAT will move up to 35/36 (or the equivalent percentile) and the GPA might only drop a tad to 3.7-3.8.

How much is this comment colored by your higher GPA and relatively lower MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is this comment colored by your higher GPA and relatively lower MCAT?

A bit, but like I said, it's only what I suspect, and I'm just curious what next year's MSAR shows.

Any school can do whatever they want, when they want, even if it seems disingenuous or unfair to applicants. I'm not complaining, if that's what you are suggesting. I know there are weak(er) portions to my application in which other more qualified applicants shine. I'll never know the real reason I was rejected, but I'm pointing out my observation, something I've held since October and have posted about (a few messaged me privately and shared similar thoughts with evidence). I'm sure everybody accepted is amazing in their own right. Given what's happened in this cycle, suggesting a refocusing on metrics is not a crazy proposal.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone get a confirmation email after responding to the waitlist email? Just silence for me and wanted to make sure that's normal.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after responding to the waitlist email? Just silence for me and wanted to make sure that's normal.
+1. They probably have been flooded with emails since tons of rejections + waitlists.

I got a likely waitlist confirmation email.

Jk :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of that, the email said "The alternate list is not ranked" so I wonder how our initial ranking plays into everything

I think it just means when there's a spot, they evaluate whole waitlisted people and figure out who fits the best. Initial ranking will play a role as well as the rest of your application, other members in the class (to ensure diversity)

What they're saying is that they don't assign ranks/orders to waitlisted people. Like if you're #2, you will get the second open spot.

I think it just means when there's a spot, they evaluate whole waitlisted people and figure out who fits the best. Initial ranking will play a role as well as the rest of your application, other members in the class (to ensure diversity)

What they're saying is that they don't assign ranks/orders to waitlisted people. Like if you're #2, you will get the second open spot.
So the smaller the waitlist the better (in both instances, lol)! ;)

Was anyone surprised by their waitlist decision?

I know I accidentally mixed up details in one of my answers to the 'challenging patient situation' question and I think my interviewer thought I was lying (or bad at communication).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone surprised by their waitlist decision?

I know I accidentally mixed up details in one of my answers to the 'challenging patient situation' question and I think my interviewer thought I was lying (or bad at communication).
Same.

I actually wish I had interviewed at Mayo later in the cycle. It was my second interview and I didn't have much practice at that point. I definitely felt more relaxed with my interviews after I attended more.

I actually wish I had interviewed at Mayo later in the cycle. It was my second interview and I didn't have much practice at that point. I definitely felt more relaxed with my interviews after I attended more.
Same. :(

I got a wrong number from an Arizona caller a few hours ago and my chest almost exploded lol

Who will be the brave soul to call and ask how many are on the waitlist?

The 3 students you interacted with were not lying. Ok - it's med school - you are going to be stressed and you are going to have hard days. But compared to my peers at other schools I am very much less stressed and Mayo is significantly less competitive, than other schools. I don't think I know any students years 1 through 4 that would "sell the school" to you haha. Just my opinion. We are pretty blunt and honest. Mayo offers all sorts of incentives for wellness - in fact we have a whole wellness committee - just a few things we have is - first year free gym membership at our awesome Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center then the rest of the years are subsidized based on how often you go, there are wellness grants to gain money for fun wellness activities with your classmates, there are lunch sessions where we learn about cooking, we get coloring books, we learn about destressing. There are SO many ways they foster wellness, and I would feel comfortable going to any of the administrators or staff people here and asking them for help if I was feeling unwell.

I think the term flipped classroom has kind of gotten a weird rapport over the past few years. It seems to be, like you've stated, that professors think it leaves a discussion time - which actually I personally think could be a more useful format - or even a case based discussion. I agree though that sometimes when implemented poorly this creates a learning environment where the learning is pushed all on you. Although each of our blocks is different, I think overall our professors do a great job of preparing us for the USMLE and for our third and fourth year clerkships. We are, as a whole, seen as top-notch, well-prepared students at our institution and away when we do rotations. That being said, it depends how much of the class is done online or in class. You'll find that most of our classes are solely in class, with a lecture and then small group time. Modules are scattered here and there but by no means make up the majority of any class. If anything, they are offered as an additional resource in a lot of cases. For example, we have board review modules that are available for us to use for self-studying additional in depth biochem and physiology if we don't necessarily come from a rich phys/biochem background. Does this help at all??
I wouldn't be worried too much about it.
That's great! Thank you very much. And I loved the part about getting grants to do wellness activities! I have so many ideas of activities for that now!

Does anyone know when Mayo usually sends out the request for final transcripts from accepted applicants?

Also, for biking to class keep in mind of dress code and 110 degree weather. :dead:

Speaking of that, the email said "The alternate list is not ranked" so I wonder how our initial ranking plays into everything

I have a theory about the ranking system and how these likely letters played out. They explained we will be ranked from 1 to 5 but won't be told where we stand. The people with likely letters were ranked 5, as in they are definitely getting accepted. Those accepted without likely letters were a 4, very highly ranked and probably accepted but Mayo couldn't be positive so no letters were sent. Those million of us wait listed were 3s and top of the bell curve. The reason there's no ranked waitlist is because we all already have the same score. The 2s and 1s were rejected.

This is, of course, pure speculation but it makes sense to me at least and it was fun(?) to think about.

I have a theory about the ranking system and how these likely letters played out. They explained we will be ranked from 1 to 5 but won't be told where we stand. The people with likely letters were ranked 5, as in they are definitely getting accepted. Those accepted without likely letters were a 4, very highly ranked and probably accepted but Mayo couldn't be positive so no letters were sent. Those million of us wait listed were 3s and top of the bell curve. The reason there's no ranked waitlist is because we all already have the same score. The 2s and 1s were rejected.

This is, of course, pure speculation but it makes sense to me at least and it was fun(?) to think about.

Only problem is that some people with likely letters were waitlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope Mayo shows us some Financial Aid love on Valentine's Day

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have a good idea of when movement on the waitlist has occurred in the past (based off of MN)?

I think I heard that last year it was the first week of May before anyone was pulled from the waitlist.

I think I heard that last year it was the first week of May before anyone was pulled from the waitlist.
While true in previous years, this year I think things must be somewhat different. The email said they expect sending a number of acceptances over the next few months. Seems to indicate a somewhat rolling system

While true in previous years, this year I think things must be somewhat different. The email said they expect sending a number of acceptances over the next few months. Seems to indicate a somewhat rolling system
I hope so. May would be a long time to wait.

To other accepted people, do you remember what you were told about when to expect the financial aid package? I think 7-10 days but not sure.

To other accepted people, do you remember what you were told about when to expect the financial aid package? I think 7-10 days but not sure.

Affirmative. My appointment email said I'd hear from the Financial Aid office in 7-10 days (which was 7 day ago).

Maintenance is finished, you should be able to access it fine now.

Just received confirmation of accepting my alternate spot!

Anyone else have trouble accessing Edlink using the login info they provided? It still is saying "The credentials you provided cannot be determined to be authentic."

Anyone else have trouble accessing Edlink using the login info they provided? It still is saying "The credentials you provided cannot be determined to be authentic."
When you first login to the portal, you should use the account name provided, but when you log in to pay the deposit, you have to put in your student ID, not the login username. Is this the issue?

When you first login to the portal, you should use the account name provided, but when you log in to pay the deposit, you have to put in your student ID, not the login username. Is this the issue?
Nah, I can't even access the portal with the provided info. I'll reach out to IT. Thanks!!

In MN you can wear slacks and a tie in class when not seeing patients IIRC. When I was in AZ, they were unsure, but said it will mirror the MN policies.
I think you're mis-remembering, I believe there is no dress code for class. When seeing patients you can where slacks, dress shirt and a tie. No need for a full suit esp since its Arizona.

In MN you can wear slacks and a tie in class when not seeing patients IIRC. When I was in AZ, they were unsure, but said it will mirror the MN policies.

They can't be unsure and also sure that it will be the same as MN, right?