2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contact Mayo Clinic. Easy solution.

I replied to the initial fafsa email with my question, but I didn't get a response. I was waitlisted and I don' t want to be a squeaky wheel about this issue because of that status.

Members don't see this ad.

I replied to the initial fafsa email with my question, but I didn't get a response. I was waitlisted and I don' t want to be a squeaky wheel about this issue because of that status.

Did you read said email?

Like the vast majority of private medical schools in the United States, MCSOM requires parent financial information be included on the FAFSA. To be considered for need-based scholarships, parent financial data is required regardless of student age or marital status.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few corrections/thoughts on your post.

1. Climate/entertainment of the city a medical school is in has no impact on the perceived quality of the education. Although this may impact how much "fun" the student has, it doesn't do anything as far as quality goes and residency placement.

2. The research at the Arizona campus is scarce. I realize that there is a required research block, but that is only 3 months long, which in my mind does not demonstrate dedication/understanding of the field of inquiry. The students at the original medical school in Rochester have access to far, far more resources (everyday) relative to those who will be at Arizona, and can get involved at a much earlier date.

3. Diversity of patients at Rochester is less then Arizona? You do know that this is a world-renowned hospital where patients come to from all over to be seen, and not a local clinic?

4. The Science of Healthcare Delivery is offered at both campuses.

Hopefully you will not take offense to my post OP, I just thought that I should offer my own opinion on the matter and clarify points that didn't align with what I know to be true. I think that the Mayo Arizona branch will be up to par, or close, in 15-20 years, but not now. For everyone who interviewed, they showed us a plan for the future of their campus. They are investing a lot of money to beef up their research capability by adding many new biomedical research centers over the next few years. It's currently a work in progress and should be viewed as such. That being said, if this school is financially feasible and aligns better with your career goals relative to other offers, then go for it.
Great corrections. Along with these, the Arizona campus is located in a very rich area of Arizona. Mostly wealthy individuals will be going to their clinic/ER because of their location.

Did you read said email?

Like the vast majority of private medical schools in the United States, MCSOM requires parent financial information be included on the FAFSA. To be considered for need-based scholarships, parent financial data is required regardless of student age or marital status.

I did and I interpreted "marital status" as the martial status of the student, not the parent.

@spacemedicine

1. Climate/entertainment of the city a medical school is in has no impact on the perceived quality of the education. Although this may impact how much "fun" the student has, it doesn't do anything as far as quality goes and residency placement.

Obviously true in terms of residency and such, however going to medical school in an interesting place is definitely important. Burn out is a real thing. Alot of @GrumpyGus 's post discussed the social life of the medical students. It's very silly to ignore this as a real issue.

2. The research at the Arizona campus is scarce. I realize that there is a required research block, but that is only 3 months long, which in my mind does not demonstrate dedication/understanding of the field of inquiry. The students at the original medical school in Rochester have access to far, far more resources (everyday) relative to those who will be at Arizona, and can get involved at a much earlier date.

This is not actually a counterpoint to anything I said about research. You didn't address my comments about clinical research, ASU, lack of basic science, or the ability to fly to and communicate with different locations. I presented a long rationale for why you will be able to do research at the AZ campus, and you responded with "no there is no research". Not much to discuss.

3. Diversity of patients at Rochester is less then Arizona? You do know that this is a world-renowned hospital where patients come to from all over to be seen, and not a local clinic?

If your definition of "diversity" is "lots of rich people flying around the world" you have a pretty poor understanding of the word.

4. The Science of Healthcare Delivery is offered at both campuses.

I specifically asked my interviewer this and he said no. Perhaps he was misinformed. If that's the case, even more reason you can great an equally great education in AZ.

Reactions: 1 user
Great corrections. Along with these, the Arizona campus is located in a very rich area of Arizona. Mostly wealthy individuals will be going to their clinic/ER because of their location.

Maricopa Medical Center is a rotation site, and when overly complex cases arrive at the other AZ hospitals, where exactly do you think they'll be transferred to?

Maricopa Medical Center is a rotation site, and when overly complex cases arrive at the other AZ hospitals, where exactly do you think they'll be transferred to?
Oh cool! I didn't know that! And it really depends what it is. I don't think everyone is going to default to Mayo. Trauma? St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Neuro? Barrow. Childrens? Phoenix Children's Hospital. Most others would probably default to Mayo if insurance allows.

Oh cool! I didn't know that! And it really depends what it is. I don't think everyone is going to default to Mayo. Trauma? St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Neuro? Barrows. Childrens? Phoenix Children's Hospita.

Certainly not every case, but a big center like Mayo will absolutely get some of the complex stuff.

Maricopa Med center is actually one of the top reasons I'm very excited about the AZ campus.

Oh cool! I didn't know that! And it really depends what it is. I don't think everyone is going to default to Mayo. Trauma? St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center. Neuro? Barrow. Childrens? Phoenix Children's Hospital. Most others would probably default to Mayo if insurance allows.

Btw, the children's hospital is ALSO a rotation site for Mayo AZ students

3. I'm completely confused by this point. You think that the patients who go to the Mayo Clinic are all wealthy? No, not at all and this is completely uniformed. People go to the Mayo Clinic when they have no other hope and are looking for an answer. If needed, they scrap together enough funds to get them there through whatever means because an individuals health is worth it. Sure, some people who go to the Mayo Clinic are well-to-do, but I do not think you can make a blanket statement that every patient is.

Interesting point here. I was also wondering (for MN more likely) if you will also see as much of day-to-day injury or "relatively simple" cases as other schools.

1. I think burnout will be lower and morale higher when there are other things to do than medical school and millions of people who don't go to medical school are nearby. Hell, the simple ability to get a Tinder match or join a local organization or go somewhere in which there is almost zero chance of running into anyone from school is quite important IMO. Also, the idea that Mayo is going to open up some second rate school is very silly, especially since you can do rotations and selectives in MN and conduct research with their faculty (some of whom have literally moved to Arizona). I also very plainly stated that this is a personal preference.

2. Once again, you have not addressed the logical points I made and instead have just said "no".

3. If you are "completely confused" by the inability of middle class, working class, and poor people to fly to a remote area of the country for treatment, than YOU are the one who is completely misinformed, and frankly I am happy that it doesn't sound like I'll need to sit next to you in medical ethics or science of healthcare delivery classes. I didn't say no poor person has ever crossed the doorway of Mayo, but the cross section of people capable of flying across the country/world is very obviously not a representative sample.

4. AGAIN, I said that my interviewer may have given me incorrect information or maybe there was a misunderstanding. Also again, you are arguing with me that the two campuses are actually more similar than I initially thought they were. [/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I think burnout will be lower and morale higher when there are other things to do than medical school and millions of people who don't go to medical school are nearby. Hell, the simple ability to get a Tinder match or join a local organization or go somewhere in which there is almost zero chance of running into anyone from school is quite important IMO. Also, the idea that Mayo is going to open up some second rate school is very silly, especially since you can do rotations and selectives in MN and conduct research with their faculty (some of whom have literally moved to Arizona). I also very plainly stated that this is a personal preference.

2. Once again, you have not addressed the logical points I made and instead have just said "no".

3. If you are "completely confused" by the inability of middle class, working class, and poor people to fly to a remote area of the country for treatment, than YOU are the one who is completely misinformed, and frankly I am happy that it doesn't sound like I'll need to sit next to you in medical ethics or science of healthcare delivery classes. I didn't say no poor person has ever crossed the doorway of Mayo, but the cross section of people capable of flying across the country/world is very obviously not a representative sample.

4. AGAIN, I said that my interviewer may have given me incorrect information or maybe there was a misunderstanding. Also again, you are arguing with me that the two campuses are actually more similar than I initially thought they were.
[/QUOTE]
Alright let's just move on.
I feel responsible for this.

Can't we all just kiss and make up and realize we're all going to amazing institutions and becoming doctors?

Just want to emphasize there is no wrong decision. Rather just personal decisions that differ between people.

I apologise if my tone got more severe there, just don't want future people or people currently making a tough choice to be mislead. Also, @GrumpyGus I thought all of your "cons" were legitimate points or preferences people may have.

Reactions: 2 users
Extremely well spoken. I didn't consider many of these factors originally but your concern makes sense to me. It would be a difficult decision to make if the cost is the same at an established school that has a relatively decent residency placement and the new, untested Mayo campus in Arizona. If you're looking at upper mid/top tier schools I think it's a no-brainer. Even with the ability to complete rotations at other sites, no one knows if they will strongly recommend/make you do a certain number at the local site. Not to mention that most of the faculty will have zero to very little teaching experience. I think it is a very difficult argument to make that the Rochester and Scottsdale campuses are equal. For all intents and purposes, this is a satellite school (the Mayo Clinic will forever be tied to its' original and much larger site, Rochester, Minnesota... even though there are smaller branches elsewhere)

The bolded is false. Many of the faculty came from either the Rochester campus or they came from other medical schools. Clinical faculty have many years of teaching experience through training residents and fellows.

The bolded is false. Many of the faculty came from either the Rochester campus or they came from other medical schools. Clinical faculty have many years of teaching experience through training residents and fellows.

@spacemedicine can you please clarify exactly what the status of your application here is?

I appreciate all the thoughts on the valid differences that will be seen at the new campus, especially @GrumpyGus 's. However, I think most of them should NOT scare people away unless a strong personal preference exists. At the end of 4 years, our degree will say Mayo Clinic School of Medicine on it and nothing will change that.
In terms of matching, I think the difference in campuses will be negligible in the eyes of program directors. I am currently doing research with a residency program director at a top 5 residency program for a competitive specialty and he's not the type of guy who concerns himself with niceties. For example, he didn't say anything to me when I got into other highly ranked schools. However, when he found out I got in here he immediately called my office to congratulate me on this accomplishment, knowing it was at the new campus. THAT represents what the Mayo name means in a residency director's mind and I don't think the Arizona campus will change that.
Others have posted about the Mayo residency programs at different locations being viewed differently, and that is because they are different. Even Mayo would acknowledge that less resources are given to their residency programs in Jacksonville and AZ, and these programs are less competitive than Rochester. However, this is not the case with the med school. They want it to be viewed as one medical school with two locations, each with a slightly different 4 year experience based on the location. This was consistently mentioned throughout the interview day. All the opportunities Rochester students have, AZ students will have by being a medical student of Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (aside from the obvious ones which are dependent on the campus location). Personally, I'm going to do a lot of my clerkship at Rochester just so I can maximize exposure to both locations and this will alleviate many previous concerns about different levels of exposure available at the AZ campus.
Sorry for this rant, but I for one am ecstatic to be matriculating here in July. I only post all this because I don't want uncertainty and SDN posts to scare people from this incredible opportunity.

Also of note, @spacemedicine was wait-listed as mentioned previously which should be considered when reading his/her critiques.

Last edited:
At the end of 4 years, our degree will say Mayo Clinic School of Medicine on it and nothing will change that. In terms of matching, I think the difference in campuses will be negligible in the eyes of program directors.

So obviously I haven't filled out an ERAS, but if our diplomas are just going to say Mayo Medical School (which was confirmed earlier in this thread), and the campuses share 1 federal school code (they do), won't residency programs have no way of actually knowing which campus we went to? Especially since our LORs will be a mix of all 3 sites? Obviously I'm not suggesting anyone be dishonest, but if a busy PD is looking at apps and it just says Mayo Medical School, presumably they'd move on to looking at grades, step scores, and letters rather than trying to dissect where we took an M1 anatomy class.

Also of note, @spacemedicine was wait-listed as mentioned previously which should be considered when reading his/her critiques.

Hmmm. So @spacemedicine, are you bitter or are you hoping one of us drops out and you get our spot?

I'm pretty sure they are butter. :laugh: Love you, @ChrisMack390!
225px-Western-pack-butter.jpg

For us second-place-waitlist-rejects, I wonder if the dean is going to send emails to the people who they're interest in (like last year at MN). :eek:

Another side note, this campus is better than MN because AZ has great Mexican food.

Last edited:
We (I think just accepted students) just got an email from 4-5 Mayo MN students informing us that we will each be matched with a Mayo MN student who has at least 5 things in common with us (experiences, geography, hobbies, culture, etc.). Apparently they'll be a kind of liaison to help connect us to Mayo faculty and resources. It is our job to figure out what the 5 things are, seems like an icebreaker sort of thing.

Once again, Mayo AZ is not just throwing us to the wolves here. We will have ample support and access to the full gamut of the Mayo Clinic resources.

As a waitlisted student, I can tell you that I had a few concerns over the Mayo AZ campus; however, if I got accepted and the finances worked out, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Congrats again to all those accepted!

As a waitlisted student, I can tell you that I had a few concerns over the Mayo AZ campus; however, if I got accepted and the finances worked out, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Congrats again to all those accepted!
Why?

Anyone waitlist/accepted here get "An additional participating medical school has requested a copy of your national background report."?

Anyone waitlist/accepted here get "An additional participating medical school has requested a copy of your national background report."?
Yes I did receive the original certiphi background check. But I have been accepted to another school so I assume that it was for that. I received this about a month ago. Did you get this email in addition to the original background report email?

Yes I did receive the original certiphi background check. But I have been accepted to another school so I assume that it was for that. I received this about a month ago. Did you get this email in addition to the original background report email?
Yes, it was in addition.

No acceptance packet and no second email from Certiphi here

The email that was sent where we register for the second look day had the general times for the activities. Starts Friday morning at 7:30 and ends Saturday afternoon around 1:30 I think. Also, if you requested an appointment to meet with financial aid office, that's Thursday. I booked a flight for Wednesday morning and Saturday evening to have some time to look around at apartments and get a feel for Scottsdale/Phoenix.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The email that was sent where we register for the second look day had the general times for the activities. Starts Friday morning at 7:30 and ends Saturday afternoon around 1:30 I think. Also, if you requested an appointment to meet with financial aid office, that's Thursday. I booked a flight for Wednesday morning and Saturday evening to have some time to look around at apartments and get a feel for Scottsdale/Phoenix.

That too, but I was also thinking about the location of the events. I wanna book a place close to where most of the events will be whether that's Scottsdales or Phx

I just heard we will receive the itinerary about 1 week ahead. So I'm just gonna book a AirBnB near the hotel suggested by Mayo

Last edited:
Oh ok. I actually have family out there, so I'm pretty lucky in that regard.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Is there anyone that is unable to go to to Second Look weekend? I will be flying back from out of the country March 24th so I can't make it and I am afraid I am going to miss a lot of info/potential roommates.

To the people who got the welcome email, how did y'all answer the last three questions? Just out of curiosity..

Edit: Feel free to PM me for anonymity if you would prefer.

Is there anyone that is unable to go to to Second Look weekend? I will be flying back from out of the country March 24th so I can't make it and I am afraid I am going to miss a lot of info/potential roommates.

I'll be travelling then so I'm missing it. Wanna be roommates? ;)

Any word on if a Facebook page will be set up in the near future? Would be super helpful as we start to look into living situations.

I am probably going to be running around like a nitwit all weekend, but if anyone is in town early or late, PM me if y'all want to get dinner or something. I'm close enough to local to make it work.

Any word on if a Facebook page will be set up in the near future? Would be super helpful as we start to look into living situations.
I feel like it will be up to us to set up a facebook page. I have a feeling that the faculty there won't make one for us to protect their professionalism and privacy?