2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll talk to the other students who show up to the 2nd look weekend and we'll get a FB page sorted out then.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll talk to the other students who show up to the 2nd look weekend and we'll get a FB page sorted out then.
Or someone can just make it now and post (somehow) anonymously lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
^If the actual school makes one later then I can take this one down but since everyone seems eager to have one here ya go!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're all gonna know who I am when I join. Oh well.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone withdraw acceptance or waitlist yet? ;)

EDIT: Also, last year it seems like people on the waitlist got emails starting ~March 7th asking if they're still interested. I wonder if they'll do the same thing this year with AZ campus.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone withdraw acceptance or waitlist yet? ;)

EDIT: Also, last year it seems like people on the waitlist got emails starting ~March 7th asking if they're still interested. I wonder if they'll do the same thing this year with AZ campus.
That would be nice. However, given my frequent statements of intent I don't know if they would even bother to ask anymore :)

So who's in town during second look? I'm flying in on the 23rd around 3pm; anyone want to explore Phoenix together/meet up?

Did anyone send an update letter and get a response that it was "very impressive?" Not trying to humble brag, just wanna know if I should have some hope or if that was a generic response.

Did anyone send an update letter and get a response that it was "very impressive?" Not trying to humble brag, just wanna know if I should have some hope or if that was a generic response.
I got a response for something else saying they're very excited, etc.

Who was the response from?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The admissions coordinator Susan Mistzal.

Ok cool. I guess who ever is responding to these emails is just peppy and there's nothing to read into.
Or they like us both...... (yes, this one, yes this is it, yes)...

Reactions: 1 users
Would those accepted be willing to post their stats? I'm wondering what the AZ campus is looking for. Congrats! Thank you in advance!

Would those accepted be willing to post their stats? I'm wondering what the AZ campus is looking for. Congrats! Thank you in advance!
Just a hunch, but I think you'll find that beyond a certain point, stats are moot because Mayo is extremely concerned with fit with their mission and ECs.

Mayo AZ is specifically interested in those who would thrive in new environment, those who are pioneers. At least that's what I sensed during my interviews.

Did anyone NOT get a confirmation email from the office after accepting the waitlist status? I sent my email in mid-Feb and never heard anything back.
I would give them a call or email them again

Did anyone NOT get a confirmation email from the office after accepting the waitlist status? I sent my email in mid-Feb and never heard anything back.
You should definitely call them. The waitlist closed on March 1. So you gotta make sure you're on record with taking your spot!

Thanks for input guys. I contacted them and found out that they somehow didn't receive my email.
Wow. I hope they overlooked it for you and placed you on the list anyway!

So is it fairly certain that acceptances off the alternate list won't happen until May?

As far as I know acceptances off the alternate list go out periodically as accepted people decide to attend or not.

As far as I know acceptances off the alternate list go out periodically as accepted people decide to attend or not.
From what I've seen it's been somewhat different each year. Sometimes students report acceptances in late March and in early May while more often the acceptances come in the first two weeks or so of May

From what I've seen it's been somewhat different each year. Sometimes students report acceptances in late March and in early May while more often the acceptances come in the first two weeks or so of May
It also seems like some people on the waitlist also received an email before their acceptance.

It also seems like some people on the waitlist also received an email before their acceptance.
The one that said "we accept LOIs, we hope you still consider us..."? I noticed that a lot of kids got those, but there were a few kids who never received them and still were taken off (but they had sent updates previously). So, if you are already updating them frequently, I wonder how indicative such an email is if you do not receive it. It almost seems like the "likely letter" situation: if you get one its a great sign, but if you do not hope is not lost.

Just got off the phone with my ambassador and wanted to clarify some misinformation I saw in this thread - there is not a dress code for classes. Suits for clinical rotations, and maybe dress slightly above average if there is a patient presentation or something, but on your average lecture day shorts and t shirts or whatever are fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Sent in my LOI today... fingers crossed!

Sent in my LOI today... fingers crossed!
Eek! Two more months! I don't think our odds are good, but it is okay, i can still believe!

Accepted persons: Let us know how second look day is! The campus probably has a lot more stuff now that it has been half a year!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Eek! Two more months! I don't think our odds are good, but it is okay, i can still believe!

Accepted persons: Let us know how second look day is! The campus probably has a lot more stuff now that it has been half a year!
I'm with both of you on the LOI wagon. Good luck to us!

It'll be easy, I look like my name. ;)
So like this?
upload_2017-3-21_13-0-19.png

Well that's attractive

Hope everyone that has been accepted so far enjoys the second-look weekend (wish that I was lucky enough to be there).

Could folks attending Second Look weekend let us know what it's like down there? I unfortunately couldn't make it. :)

Gracias!