2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The golf isn't too pricey either. You can walk 18-holes at Forest Hills for 15$ with the MCG ID. That seems like a great way to unwind on the Saturday after a block finishes. I just hope they extend the pass/fail system to second year by the time we're M2s. That's definitely the trend nationwide.

http://www.theforesthillsgolfcourse.com/golf-course/rates/

I was not aware of this (the pass/fail trend beyond M1)... I wonder how that would work with residency programs. My main concern would be that programs would potentially look very unfavorably upon students graduating from institutions where there were no actual grades other than "Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory" for M1 AND M2 in comparison to schools that had not yet transitioned to such a system.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It's getting fairly common. Everywhere I interviewed bedsides MCG was P/F for both preclinical years. And more and more are adopting it across all tiers of competitiveness. It's positively correlated with higher board scores post-change I've heard. The general feeling is preclinical grades don't matter much at all for residencies and it's Step scores and clinical grades that mean anything. And there are usually internal grades to determine things like AOA and the like. It just makes more sense to me. Better for the sanity of the students and allows them to focus on clinically and step relevant material rather than irrelevant minutia.

Reactions: 2 users
If I'm still seeing a blank page on the references tab on the portal, should I assume I'm probably not hearing any good news this month? I interviewed mid-December

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the transcript thing yesterday or today morning...interviewed mid December.

If anyone figures out if this means anything, please let me know!

Anyone have any idea when next round of acceptances will be?

Reactions: 1 user
Got the transcript thing yesterday or today morning...interviewed mid December.

If anyone figures out if this means anything, please let me know!

Anyone have any idea when next round of acceptances will be?
I don't know....honestly it might just be a user message, or it could mean more, admissions can't divulge to much. I called the admissions they said they met last night but have no information on when acceptances will be sent out, but based on the past two years they typically do it the last friday of January...and the following Monday and Tuesday! Id be interested too see if someone who interviewed the same time as us doesn't have that transcript message

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know....honestly it might just be a user message, or it could mean more, admissions can't divulge to much. I called the admissions they said they met last night but have no information on when acceptances will be sent out, but based on the past two years they typically do it the last friday of January...and the following Monday and Tuesday! Id be interested too see if someone who interviewed the same time as us doesn't have that transcript message

So basically at least a week more...the only reason I think it means something is because it has the word 'acceptance' in there, but that might be my premed anxiety talking hahaha

So basically at least a week more...the only reason I think it means something is because it has the word 'acceptance' in there, but that might be my premed anxiety talking hahaha
SAME!!! and that would be cruel for it to say missing if they don't even want it!!! I cant call admission anymore... I have called too much...they know my voice.

Yep! Just checked 2 minutes ago...Not sure if it's a roll over or due to the fact that I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and my status just hasn't been updated like everyone else's who interviewed earlier in the cycle.

Does anyone know when they announce the campus assignment?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My Document status is showing the transcript stuff too. I skimmed through last years thread and saw mention of it a couple of times after MCG released all acceptances. It looks like a number of people had the information about transcripts appear, but some of them ended up being placed on the waitlist. I wish it was some sort of pre-acceptance acceptance, but it looks like it doesn't mean much of anything.

My Document status is showing the transcript stuff too. I skimmed through last years thread and saw mention of it a couple of times after MCG released all acceptances. It looks like a number of people had the information about transcripts appear, but some of them ended up being placed on the waitlist. I wish it was some sort of pre-acceptance acceptance, but it looks like it doesn't mean much of anything.
Well i mean that would make sense. If you're either accepted or waitlisted they require your final Transcript...I don't know trying to stay positive during this long wait

Last edited:
Well i mean that would make sense. If you're either accepted or waitlisted they require your final Transcript...I don't know trying to stay positive during this long wait
Yeah same here, I just don't want to get too excited about anything yet. Hopefully we will know soon!

Does anyone know when they announce the campus assignment?

I remember hearing June on interview day, but I might be wrong. I wonder what percentage of the class gets assigned to the campus they didn't chose. While Athens would be great as a town, I'd be kinda bummed to have to do my core rotations in Athens rather than Augusta.

I remember hearing June on interview day, but I might be wrong. I wonder what percentage of the class gets assigned to the campus they didn't chose. While Athens would be great as a town, I'd be kinda bummed to have to do my core rotations in Athens rather than Augusta.
I have a friend who is an M1 at MCG, he says that you're guaranteed your choice of campus. I don't know how accurate his information is though.

Does MCG have a cutoff date for when they stop sending out interview invite emails? My secondary has been complete since late July, so I'm assuming I'm getting a silent rejection from MCG.

Does MCG have a cutoff date for when they stop sending out interview invite emails? My secondary has been complete since late July, so I'm assuming I'm getting a silent rejection from MCG.
Someone posted a rough schedule from last year and the II cutoff was around the end of January.

Does anyone know if there is a special social media group for admitted students?

I have a friend who is an M1 at MCG, he says that you're guaranteed your choice of campus. I don't know how accurate his information is though.

It is not accurate. This is a direct quote from the email MCG sent me after I submitted my campus preference through the admissions portal following my interview:

"While student preference will be considered, there is no guarantee that any applicant will be assigned to his or her preferred campus. Therefore, accepted applicants should be willing to be assigned to either the Augusta Campus or MCG/AU Medical Partnership Campus. All accepted applicants will be notified of their campus assignment prior to matriculation in August 2017. Once campus assignment is finalized, accepted applicants will not have an option to change campuses."

"While student preference will be considered, there is no guarantee that any applicant will be assigned to his or her preferred campus. Therefore, accepted applicants should be willing to be assigned to either the Augusta Campus or MCG/AU Medical Partnership Campus.

During the presentation, we were told that they haven't had a situation where they had to make a student go to a campus that they didn't choose. So as of last year, everyone got the campus that they wanted. Not sure how it'll work out with this year's entering class, but I thought I'd chip in.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone!!! Sorry I haven't been around too much- 4th year can get pretty hectic.

We have a few more open houses coming up in Athens for anyone that is interested- this Saturday the 28th and Feb 18th. If you're able to attend, RSVP to [email protected] for more info or you can PM me directly.

To address the current question- if you want to go to the Augusta campus, you will be assigned to Augusta. No one is sent to Athens that didn't preference it. Occasionally, they are one or two people who preference Athens that don't get it since we can only take 40 each year, but normally, everyone gets their preferred campus. It's correct in that there is no guarantee, but it generally works out.

I'll hopefully be around more in the next few months, so let me know if I can answer any questions about Athens.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone who has been accepted and committed to matriculate at MCG received any information yet regarding the creation of your AU student account/email address? All of the information furnished by the admissions office after acceptance said that we should expect to receive this sometime after the first of the year.

Still no email about making an account with the school...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just spoke with someone from the MCG Admissions office on the phone. She informed me that Augusta University Student ID numbers and @augusta.edu email addresses should be sent out "between January and February" to those applicants who have been accepted and committed to matriculate.

Do you guys know what day the Adcom usually meets?? And how long after we hear back??

Do you guys know what day the Adcom usually meets?? And how long after we hear back??

The evidence (and rumors) point to Thursdays (monthly).

If I'm still seeing a blank page on the references tab on the portal, should I assume I'm probably not hearing any good news this month? I interviewed mid-December
What do you mean reference tab? I dont even have that tab? I am assuming that isnt a good sign lol

Thanks! I interviewed Dec. 1 and they emailed me this morning. 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 509 MCAT, 500+ hours shadowing, 500+ hours volunteering.
Congrats!!

interviewed November 30th....heart slowly breaking

I interviewed December 2nd. Not sure what to make of it but I don't think it's looking too good for me