2016-2017 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!...totally didn't think i had a shot at this school, this is FOR SURE where I am going to go. Also side note that first paragraph of the email tho...

I do have some questions about the living situation: where are some close by one bdrm apartments that are affordable (in the 700s)? I really don't want a roommate. Also is the total cost of attendance estimated at 65k per year for all four years or was that just for M1

If any current M1-4 can hit me up, please do I have loads of questions....

shoot me a pm if you still have unanswered q's. open invite to others as well applying/interviewing at MCW.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received any information about MCW - Milwaukee's second look day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent an update letter and if so, to the admissions email? Thank you :D

There's a place to send updates in the portal FYI! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Saw this the minute after I sent the update letter via email :oops:. But to my surprise, they're office is so efficient! Got a confirmation email this morning ;)

Getting excited for my interview? It's 2 1-1 sessions right?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, congrats! When were you complete and what dates were open?

Also, -anguished shrieking-
Complete late August. Dates open are in mid March. After some thinking, I am rejecting the II, so I hope one of you guys/girls gets it ! ❤

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know where to find the match list for MCW? Can any current students comment on the school's reputation, both in the midwest/Chicago area and nationwide?

Strongly thinking of going here -- liked it a lot when I interviewed. :)

Does anyone know where to find the match list for MCW? Can any current students comment on the school's reputation, both in the midwest/Chicago area and nationwide?

Strongly thinking of going here -- liked it a lot when I interviewed. :)

Lol did you pay attention at all on interview day? The dude literally goes on and on at length about how they don't release the match list, but it's in the USB drive they give you. Come on man!

you're given one in the flash drive of the newest set of grads, however due to ferpa we are not allowed to share it

Okay, non-trad applicant here and apparently pre-meds love acronyms. What the heck does LM mean? Thanks for the help. Also, does MCW accept update letters? Thanks for the help young guns!

Okay, non-trad applicant here and apparently pre-meds love acronyms. What the heck does LM mean? Thanks for the help. Also, does MCW accept update letters? Thanks for the help young guns!

They're probably referring to the "Lizzy M" Score. It's a number based on your MCAT score and GPA, and is used pretty frequently as a way to gauge where your academic numbers put you at compared to other applicants and school averages. Here's the link --> https://schools.studentdoctor.net/lizzym_score?reload=1&r=1486081649135.

And yes, they do take update letters. I attached mine to the portal a while back, but on my interview day Dan said it wouldn't be a bad idea to email it to the admissions office too. When I emailed them, they said thank you and attached it to my file.

Reactions: 1 users
They're probably referring to the "Lizzy M" Score. It's a number based on your MCAT score and GPA, and is used pretty frequently as a way to gauge where your academic numbers put you at compared to other applicants and school averages. Here's the link --> https://schools.studentdoctor.net/lizzym_score?reload=1&r=1486081649135.

And yes, they do take update letters. I attached mine to the portal a while back, but on my interview day Dan said it wouldn't be a bad idea to email it to the admissions office too. When I emailed them, they said thank you and attached it to my file.

Thanks, friend. Best of luck on this strange journey!

Question for current students: how often do you have exams?

Based on your answer to the previous question, do you like this system or not?

Question for current students: how often do you have exams?

Based on your answer to the previous question, do you like this system or not?

Our classes are in a block structure, so that means we'll have a week of exams every 4 weeks or so. I'm pretty indifferent on the system, but it works!

Our classes are in a block structure, so that means we'll have a week of exams every 4 weeks or so. I'm pretty indifferent on the system, but it works!
That sounds good! I've heard of some schools that have exams every Monday... haha

For those of you with upcoming interviews here- the day is so relaxed. loved this school!

For anyone who was accepted on 1/27, did you get your packet in the mail yet

When the flash drive they gave you at your interview day doesn't open on a mac....LOL

Yeah mine didn't open on any computers except my mom's laptop I had to email myself all the stuff

I got put on the alternate list after my interview.

I'm wondering if this is the same as a waitlist or more like a hold pool. Does anyone know?

Question for current students:

How much time do you spend in lecture per day/week?

What time do classes usually start/end on a given day?

Additionaly, does this schedule give you enough free time to study in the afternoon/evening?

Mega thanks :bow:

I got put on the alternate list after my interview.

I'm wondering if this is the same as a waitlist or more like a hold pool. Does anyone know?

It's a waitlist, you'll find out I think later in the cycle where you are on it and if you get an acceptance...at least it wasn't a rejection.

Question for current students:

How much time do you spend in lecture per day/week?

What time do classes usually start/end on a given day?

Additionaly, does this schedule give you enough free time to study in the afternoon/evening?

Mega thanks :bow:

I don't go to lecture. They're all recorded. If you're disciplined enough to keep up with the material, you almost never have to go to class (unless you're into that sort of thing). Some sessions are mandatory, but that's rare. One day a week in the afternoons we have a clinical skills course which is mandatory to attend.

In general, classes start at 8 and end at 12. First semester you'll have anatomy lecture and lab in the afternoon from 1-4ish.

There's ample time to study AND have free time to pursue other things--again, as long as you keep up with the material.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't go to lecture. They're all recorded. If you're disciplined enough to keep up with the material, you almost never have to go to class (unless you're into that sort of thing). Some sessions are mandatory, but that's rare. One day a week in the afternoons we have a clinical skills course which is mandatory to attend.

In general, classes start at 8 and end at 12. First semester you'll have anatomy lecture and lab in the afternoon from 1-4ish.

There's ample time to study AND have free time to pursue other things--again, as long as you keep up with the material.
This sounds like heaven :)

Thank you!!

Are the lectures video recorded or are they just audio, also when do people start studying for boards?

Can a current/past student comment on if you are unranked or ranked based off performance/pre-clinical years?

Could any current student pm me and talk a bit about the school? I have a II this Friday. Really would appreciate it :)

Are the lectures video recorded or are they just audio, also when do people start studying for boards?

You can download just the audio if you want, but there's also a video feed that you can download. You can also view the videos via the web application that they use instead of downloading the file, and you can see a feed of the slides and a feed of the lecturer, if you really wanted to feel like you actually went to class.

Can a current/past student comment on if you are unranked or ranked based off performance/pre-clinical years?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is some sort of internal ranking system, so that they can determine who's eligible for AOA, and whatever else they would need a rank for. But to the outside, you're unranked.

@Fijj ,@liquidstatic : You can PM me with questions.

You can download just the audio if you want, but there's also a video feed that you can download. You can also view the videos via the web application that they use instead of downloading the file, and you can see a feed of the slides and a feed of the lecturer, if you really wanted to feel like you actually went to class.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is some sort of internal ranking system, so that they can determine who's eligible for AOA, and whatever else they would need a rank for. But to the outside, you're unranked.

@Fijj ,@liquidstatic : You can PM me with questions.

Thank you! Every single person I have talked to who graduated from MCW or currently goes to MCW has given me a different answer on if/when you are ranked, so I'm so confused. Some people have said there is absolutely no ranking, some have said you are ranked based off grades in class, etc, ranking for residency application, etc. Been hard figuring out what is true...

Thank you! Every single person I have talked to who graduated from MCW or currently goes to MCW has given me a different answer on if/when you are ranked, so I'm so confused. Some people have said there is absolutely no ranking, some have said you are ranked based off grades in class, etc, ranking for residency application, etc. Been hard figuring out what is true...
True ranking is based on your ability to slam cheese curds and beer ;)

Video, audio, and the powerpoint presentation are recorded, so you can experience the exact same thing as those who attend lecture. People start studying for boards on day 1. (Not really; there's dedicated study time during M2 year, but I'm not sure how long it is.)

No ranking in the sense that you mean, at least to my knowledge. Like my colleague said above, there's likely internal rankings that affect very little.

Feel free to shoot me PMs as well if you have questions!

I thought they didn't have ranking or gpa, they just have h/hp/p/lp/f